Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Skilled Chuggers Required' - Amnesty International

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

you could just donate to the ones who send leaflets in the post, or even christmas cards, instead then.

after all, the financial return on investment for those campaigns is roughly 1.8x original investment, compared to 3.6x investment for chugging(yes, even after paying chugger wages).

that's why chuggers will be there until they are outlawed, they make a killing for the charity.

of course some places have "outlawed" them in the UK, Peterborough and Winchester being examples. Manchester council has reduced the licensing so that smaller team numbers can only go there, and on a reduced number of dates and times.

Why don't you all just ask your city councils to do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

jester77 wrote: »
    Any charity that resorts to using chuggers (or dying children tv ads) is not a charity I want anything to do with

I empathise with that point. Those methods of charity say a lot about the people you are trusting to give money to and also a lot about the way they view you. I fundamentally don't agree with people being paid to collect for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

A national children's chrity in the Uk spent £560k one year on a radio fundrasing campaign. This money was paid to actors, producers and radio stations. The charity gained 46 new supporters at an average donation of £60 per annum, or £33,120 over the average 5 year "life" of a donor.

Same charity, 2 years later, spent £100k on a chugging campaign and got 960 donors at an average of £108 per annum, or £518,400 over the average 5 year "life" of a donor.

So, agencies/people were paid to raise funds, how else could funds be raised? Would you expect printers etc to not be paid for producing leaflets, cards etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Only way to deal with them:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

CashMoney wrote: »
    This sounds very familiar to me. Did the company owner drive an Audi TT and did you have to listen to 'Hey Ya' every morning at the morning meetings by any chance? I rang a similar (same?) bell in Melbourne 8 years ago...

Can't remember/didn't see what he drove.

I think his name was Dave though, and he was from Perth.

There was a guy working there from Kerry (team leader or something), two mates that were physio's, one from Omagh, and one from Newry.

Give my self the shakes thinking about it, one of the most horrible jobs I've probably ever did, only stuck it ten days, needed the money......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

summerskin wrote: »
    I chugged and managed campaigns for charites like the WWF, when the fact is my life's ambition is to eat Panda meat before they die out.

Fúck you buddy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Cianooo

Nice one Enfield for spotting that.

We've just gone with the fact that we're called 'chuggers' now and we just accept it with a tongue in cheek attitude.

But as Enfield pointed out there are opportunities to get out of being 'mugged'

1) Say 'no' when one asks you to stop
    2) Say 'no' when they ask you to sign up

or for the less vertebrae creatures out there:

3) Lie and say you don't have a bank account
    4) Give the wrong details.

Yet despite these spasticatedly obvious choices people still like to be dramatic and retarded and say we 'mug' people hahahahahaha it's really quite pathetic.

Good chap 'The Rigger', good chap, you sap. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'd like to think some people out there are so nice and have enough free time to 'take one for the team' and engage the chuggers in a long-winded conversation which leads to no donations - helps keep them away from the rest of us tbh.

Friends of mine made this - I can see it being effective -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Cianooo wrote: »
    Nice one Enfield for spotting that.

We've just gone with the fact that we're called 'chuggers' now and we just accept it with a tongue in cheek attitude.

But as Enfield pointed out there are opportunities to get out of being 'mugged'

1) Say 'no' when one asks you to stop
    2) Say 'no' when they ask you to sign up

or for the less vertebrae creatures out there:

3) Lie and say you don't have a bank account
    4) Give the wrong details.

Yet despite these spasticatedly obvious choices people still like to be dramatic and retarded and say we 'mug' people hahahahahaha it's really quite pathetic.

Good chap 'The Rigger', good chap, you sap. ;)

nahh its kind of like if a pedophile stops you in the street . you want to kick his head in and throw up. Most don't want to use some kind of fake politeness towards chugger scum. They just want chugger scum to fu(k off and die preferably in extreme pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I just tell them to **** off at this point, sick of being harrased by them. One of them said to me quite recently, I had something in a HMV bag, and they said 'How much did that cost you man? Do you know how many lives you could save for the cost of a DVD?' I said '**** off and get off a job you commie ****' Just say it all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

psychward wrote: »
    nahh its kind of like if a pedophile stops you in the street . you want to kick his head in and throw up. Most don't want to use some kind of fake politeness towards chugger scum. They just want chugger scum to fu(k off and die preferably in extreme pain.

Lucky there are "hard men" out there keeping our streets clean and harassing tax paying employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Lucky there are "hard men" out there keeping our streets clean and harassing tax paying employees.

The streets are clean ? Last time I looked the filthy rude obnoxious chugger scum were everywhere harassing simpletons, the aged and the weak minded into emptying their pockets. Paying tax on it is no different to a con man ''laundering'' his money in an attempt to appear respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

psychward wrote: »
    The streets are clean ? Last time I looked the filthy rude obnoxious chugger scum were everywhere harassing simpletons, the aged and the weak minded into emptying their pockets. Paying tax on it is no different to a con man ''laundering'' his money in an attempt to appear respectable.

Well it's very different kid...

It's like going into a bank and calling the teller scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Anyone seen the new ish ones in the middle of Henry street? Wear blue shirts. Every-time I walk past, or anyone, they stick their hand out for you to shake. Trying to trap you into something :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I just loudly say "Sorry, I'm gay" and keep walking. Confuses them to no end.

That's funny. I said, "Not interested. Married!" to one female chugger as she was walking over to me. Quite liked her reply too, though: "Yea, in yer fcuking dreams!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

One I used last year when walking up Grafton Street:

Chugger: (hand extended - waiting for handshake) "Hello sir, would you........"
    Steviecakes: (interrupting him) "Sorry, I don't speak English" and kept walking....

I got about 20m away before he realised and shouted after me "But.... that WAS English..." Chugging opportunity over at that stage, I was on my merry way!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have them calling on my door now. Can't escape. I actually had one chap try and come into the house to chat about it. I just open the door and ask what charity is it for, then just tell them I'm signed up with world vision and airtricity

antodeco wrote: »
    I have them calling on my door now. Can't escape. I actually had one chap try and come into the house to chat about it. I just open the door and ask what charity is it for, then just tell them I'm signed up with world vision and airtricity

That's bull$hit (the practice, not your story). Whatever about them harassing you on the street, I draw the line at door-to-door $hit. I really think that should be illegal.

• Advertisement

One I used last year when walking up Grafton Street:

Chugger: (hand extended - waiting for handshake) "Hello sir, would you........"
    Steviecakes: (interrupting him) "Sorry, I don't speak English" and kept walking....

I got about 20m away before he realised and shouted after me "But.... that WAS English..." Chugging opportunity over at that stage, I was on my merry way!

Sorry about the $hit quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

When ever I see the Chugger minefield I just hid behind a large group of people and let them get picked off and I make it through with all my change intact

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

I have never been bothered by these people. I just say "no thanks" and keep walking without slowing down or anything. Works every time. I've never been held up or insulted.

Same thing I do to most people who call to my door selling services etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I stole a drink in a nightclub many moons ago, does that count?

only if you pryed it out of the owner's hand... if you just knicked off a table then your just a common thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Strolling down Shop St, Galway or Cruises St Limerick

Up the road you see some gorgeous girl giving you the eye
    And then she approaches you

What's going on? Is this my lucky day?

She comes up chatting away, commenting on your shopping bag if you were buying clothes.
    Any plans? Any holidays booked?

You wrack your brain wondering do you know this girl, it's embaressing when someone knows you but you've forgotten them

Next thing you know she says she is with Hanley Center wants to flog you scratchcards

Shame on you Hanley Center, I see what you are doing.

People won't stop for chuggers but they will stop for a chat with a friendly girl
    No hi-vis/coloured vest, no ID on display, tis sly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

cloud493 wrote: »
    I just tell them to **** off at this point, sick of being harrased by them. One of them said to me quite recently, I had something in a HMV bag, and they said 'How much did that cost you man? Do you know how many lives you could save for the cost of a DVD?' I said '**** off and get off a job you commie ****' Just say it all the time now.

Not a people person are you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I hate the fecker.

Galway seems to get a particular brand of wanker, the ones who walk infront of you and won't **** off, and then eventually give some sly comment as you push past them, once saw one **** shouting at people who ignored him, got so bad someone called the Guards who came down and told him off and then the little **** got mouthy with them!

Only positive experience was aboiut 5-6 yeras ago I was in Dublin for work for a wee bit and wandering from my hotel room to the place I was working and took a short-cut by the Gaiety, pretty girl approached me, started chatting, I told her I wasn't interested, sorry, she kept talking, I was about 15 minutes early anyway so kept chatting, eventually convinced her that I (a)wasn't interested and (b) didn't have my bank details anyway so the conversation just moved onto other stuff, I asked how she got into the job, she told me the money was good and it was good craic moving town to town, she only planned on doing it for 3 months to save money to head off travelling, she'd just graduated from UCD, blah blah, asked what I was doing, we had common interests, in the end I asked her out for a drink, she said yes, ended up wearing the face off her down stairs in Hogans later that night.

Thank you very much Concern.

Wish I could remember her name though.

IF you are aged 26-28, brunette, from Swords, used to work in a call centre and briefly worked as a chugger for concern outside the Gaiety and et a nice young man from athlone who you later held hands with, holla atcha boy, you were sound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

whatever99 wrote: »
    I have never been bothered by these people. I just say "no thanks" and keep walking without slowing down or anything. Works every time. I've never been held up or insulted.

Same thing I do to most people who call to my door selling services etc.

i used to be the same until one little fcukhead started dancing in my path a couple times when i tried to get by
    could have punched him

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

bluewolf wrote: »
    i used to be the same until one little fcukhead started dancing in my path a couple times when i tried to get by
    could have punched him

You obviously weren't stern enough! :p:D

I'd almost love one of them to try and stop me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement