Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Skilled Chuggers Required' - Amnesty International

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

rubadub wrote: »
    Jaysus that sounds like a real horror story, does this really go on in this day & age. I can only sit here shuddering imagining if I had to go through a job interview, be expected to actually work everyday, and then get taxed on my earnings.

The starving babies have it easier.

Ha, horrifying.

Well you'd also get spat at, groped(didnt mind so much if they were hot), assaulted, abused, stuff throw at you, junkies being junkies and much much more.

Theen you'd have your typically geeky trinners head questioning whether it was right getting paid by a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You don't have to abuse the chuggers, anytime I encounter them I say "thanks, I signed up with you guys last month". They have no comeback for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Walking down Parnell St. the other day, I heard what I can only be assume to be the manager of the group giving them a pep talk, i.e., "We need you to sign five people up every hour on average for you to be commercially viable to hire".

Slimy bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Just remarks about my appearance. I used to have long hair and they would comment on that. I also had long sideburns and a chugger once stood in front of me and when I manoeuvered my way around him he shouted "cool sideboards man". I don't know if he was being sarcastic or if he was paying me a compliment so I'd go back and give him my bank details.

are you the dark destroyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

From urbandictionary:

1. chugging
    loading up on alcoholic substance, power drinking
    that was crazy how fast he drank that 40! that's some power chugging!

2. chugging 31 up, 27 down
    another word for ****, masturbating, etc
    the boy's girlfriend was chugging him under the covers

3. chugging
    In the UK - drinking game for naked guys, usually rugby-football players. Needs three guys. One guy bends over with his ass in the air. Another pours a can of beer from high up so the beer trickles down the first guy's ass crack and over his balls. Meanwhile a third guy holds his head between the first guy's thighs and the beer goes in his mouth and he drinks it.

4. Chugging
    The act of attempting or cajoling commuters into parting with cash by shaking coin filled tins at them or beguiling them into thinking you are giving away great stuff.
    I could see the chugger on the corner chugging away at passers-by so I crossed the road and gave him the split.

And this thread is on the least interesting option 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I worked for these tits many years ago (eight years ago exactly) in Melbourne.

We were actively encouraged to lie to people, be very aggressive in our sales pitches, with mothers with prams, and the elderly in particular viewed as easy targets.

On top of that, we were encouraged to participate in tax evasion, charity told us to get an ABN (Australian business number) where we could register ourselves as being self employed, invoicing the company we worked for, who would in turn pay is tax free, leaving it up to ourselves to declare tax. As a were paid barely minimum wage, this looked like they were paying us more (as no tax was deducted) as most of us were backpackers etc, every one was intent on buggering off home without paying a single cent on tax, and the marketing company knew it, and encouraged it.

Days were long, (eight to eight give days a week) and the people working with me were generally dickheads for want of a better description.

I got my own back on the tossers though, as over the space of a week, I got about fifty fellow back packers from my hostel to 'visit' whatever train station/shopping mall I was in on a particular day to sign up........

Commission was paid on how many people I could convince to sign up with their bank details, and successfully commit to a monthly direct debit for so much a month.

Thing is, once my commission was paid, (approx one week after getting my mates to'sign up'. All of them (as agreed) contacted their particular bank to cancel direct debits (well before the first installment could be deducted)!

I got to see the whole of the east coast of Aus, work free for approx three Weeks due to I save the children charity. But even better than that, as top' chugger' that week, I got to ring a poxy bell they had, that top earners could ring at the top of the morning meetings (every morning we had compulsory meetings before being deployed like rats)

That was the highlight of my first year in Australia, ringing that bell.... :rolleyes: (big swinging Mickey)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The last time I chugged anything (a bottle of spicy gin mixed with a naggin of vodka), I rolled down a hill half naked and got nettle stings all over my ass.

So do I get the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I usually glare at them and say - "I have to return some videotapes."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

TheZohan wrote: »
    You don't have to abuse the chuggers, anytime I encounter them I say "thanks, I signed up with you guys last month". They have no comeback for that.

It turns out they do: "Oh yeah? Where did you sign up? Who did you sign up with?" and finally "Would you like to increase your direct debit?"

I must admit, I went mental at that little twat, and since then I haven't even given concern my loose change never mind a decent percentage of my income, there are more deserving charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

enfield wrote: »
    Why not just give them incorrect bank details? They will get fired when the thing bounces back and it wastes their time and their bosses time just like they do ours.

just give them the direct debit details of other charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

About 6 months after the make poverty history campaign, I flashed one of them my white wrist band thinking they would leave me alone. No, he tried signing me up to their lastest campaign instead.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just tell them you're not 18, they can't talk to you then!!!!! I'm well over 18 and I haven't had one argue with me yet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Ah it wouldnt be as fun....

- Chatting up all the young girls
    - Going to secret seminars where we'd learn hypnotic hand shake techniques
    - More seminars to spot the most vunerable people
    - Use peoples direct debits to pay for all our drinks and drugs on the CEOs yacht

Ah how I miss saving little babies in Africa.

Do you learn what kind of people to go for? I'm most definitely targeted by chuggers. They practically leg it across the whole street to talk to me. Is it my nose ring do you reckon? What kinds of people are you told to target??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Do you learn what kind of people to go for? I'm most definitely targeted by chuggers. They practically leg it across the whole street to talk to me. Is it my nose ring do you reckon? What kinds of people are you told to target??

Girls walking on their own are prime targets. The theory is they will be easier to intimidate than men or groups. Same reason the elderly and mothers pushing prams get targeted more than others. So if you walk around on your own a good bit that may have something to do with it Eve.

God I hate the slimy fuckers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is having dreadlocks a prerequisite for becoming a chugger? Quite alot of them seem to either have dreadlocks of be polish blondes for the asthma society, there was this polish blonde doing jones's road this year leading up to Croker before all the GAA matches but she was selling scratch cars rather than looking for a Direct Debit, bought one myself as I nearly died several times as a kid with the disease until I grew out of it, never got anything from the asthma society though other than flyer in the docs office telling me what I already knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Stinicker wrote: »
    Is having dreadlocks a prerequisite for becoming a chugger?

I've often asked myself this profound question. Common features are: Dreadlocks and those baggy Indian type Goa pants that hang off your ass and look shapeless, an Australian/ backpacker accent and the ability to whine : ''What are you doing to save the planet mannnnnnnn'' . Either that or a tendency towards campness and obesity combined with bitchy comments when you ignore them as you walk by. Chuggers exist purely to take the piss out of us all.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

no the charity i worked for didn't tell you to ask a certain profile of person - you just must be pretty.
    strobe wrote: »
    Girls walking on their own are prime targets. The theory is they will be easier to intimidate than men or groups. Same reason the elderly and mothers pushing prams get targeted more than others. So if you walk around on your own a good bit that may have something to do with it Eve.

God I hate the slimy fuckers...

lol save it for the conspiracy theory forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

The chuggers in Waterford are a particularly aggressive bunch.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/article.php?id=352

UP TO three hundred innocent people are feared to be trapped in John Roberts Square today after a team of strategically placed charity workers invaded Waterford city at around 10am.

Brandishing fake smiles and clip boards, the team of three men and four women surrounded the pedestrianised city square this morning, cleverly ignoring passersby entering the 'trap'. It has been reported that once people are inside, they are then confronted on all exit routes leaving the square.

Gardai have told WWN that all exits, including Georges court, has been targeted by the gorilla charity group.

Garda Terry Walsh said: "We believe there is no way out at this time. And unless these people start negotiating with the charity workers there is nothing we can do."

"The Garda Siochana have been in contact with the Concern Charity and they have confirmed that the 'chuggers' will be leaving the city centre around 6pm this evening."

Garda Walsh added that supplies of food and water will be transported into John Roberts Square later on this afternoon.

Worried family and friends of the victims were asked to stay vigilant and not to try anything stupid.

"My wife has been trapped there for 4 hours now." said 35-year-old Thomas Keane.

"She only went down the town to get a few things out of Pennys."

"I got the phone call while I was in work. Of course I had to leave straight away, but Gardai stopped me trying to enter the area.

"My wife said theres hundreds of people just wandering around aimlessly looking for a gap in the Concern workers attention."

However, some people did manage to escape the square unscathed.

Businessman George Kinsella told WWN earlier that he snuck out by just pretending he was on the phone.

He said "I caught the bitches cringy smiley face in the corner of my eye.

"Luckily I had my shades on, or the leech would have seen me.

"I immediately put the phone up to my ear and started talking. I could feel her eyes burning into the side of my head. She waved frantically. I shouted down the phone as if I was angry. I could hear her saying: ''scuse me sir, do you have a few minutes?'.

"I just kept walking towards O'Connell street. She threw herself down on to the ground and bear hugged my leg. I dragged her for several feet before eventually slamming her off a bin outside T&H's.

"I just legged it then. I didn't turn back."

Another man stated he got out through the side door of Supermacs, but reports have come back saying that it is now also covered by one of the charity workers.

WWN will give up-to-date bulletins between now and 6 o clock.

If you are concerned about any family member or friend please ring Ballybricken Garda station on 051-305311.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Ghandee wrote: »
    I worked for these tits many years ago (eight years ago exactly) in Melbourne.

We were actively encouraged to lie to people, be very aggressive in our sales pitches, with mothers with prams, and the elderly in particular viewed as easy targets.

On top of that, we were encouraged to participate in tax evasion, charity told us to get an ABN (Australian business number) where we could register ourselves as being self employed, invoicing the company we worked for, who would in turn pay is tax free, leaving it up to ourselves to declare tax. As a were paid barely minimum wage, this looked like they were paying us more (as no tax was deducted) as most of us were backpackers etc, every one was intent on buggering off home without paying a single cent on tax, and the marketing company knew it, and encouraged it.

Days were long, (eight to eight give days a week) and the people working with me were generally dickheads for want of a better description.

I got my own back on the tossers though, as over the space of a week, I got about fifty fellow back packers from my hostel to 'visit' whatever train station/shopping mall I was in on a particular day to sign up........

Commission was paid on how many people I could convince to sign up with their bank details, and successfully commit to a monthly direct debit for so much a month.

Thing is, once my commission was paid, (approx one week after getting my mates to'sign up'. All of them (as agreed) contacted their particular bank to cancel direct debits (well before the first installment could be deducted)!

I got to see the whole of the east coast of Aus, work free for approx three Weeks due to I save the children charity. But even better than that, as top' chugger' that week, I got to ring a poxy bell they had, that top earners could ring at the top of the morning meetings (every morning we had compulsory meetings before being deployed like rats)

That was the highlight of my first year in Australia, ringing that bell.... :rolleyes: (big swinging Mickey)

This sounds very familiar to me. Did the company owner drive an Audi TT and did you have to listen to 'Hey Ya' every morning at the morning meetings by any chance? I rang a similar (same?) bell in Melbourne 8 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Oranage2 wrote: »

Also this job isnt for everybody - Not only do you have to get past a tough interview process you also then have to preform everyday.

A bitch, isnt it...Thats called Work, welcome to our world.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Jaysus that sounds like a real horror story, does this really go on in this day & age. I can only sit here shuddering imagining if I had to go through a job interview, be expected to actually work everyday, and then get taxed on my earnings.

The starving babies have it easier.
    greenpilot wrote: »
    A bitch, isnt it...Thats called Work, welcome to our world.

Very good - just nowhere as funny as the post above. As I've said I havent chugged in well over a year and it was during the summer to save enough for college.

I've since finished college and have a new job.

I didnt especially like doing chugging and was fired just before I was there 6 months, I'm happy to reveal all if anybody wants to know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Skilled Chugger Required

Key Responsibilities

Harrassing people as they try to walk down the street.
    Spreading out wide over a street with your fellow leeches colleagues in order to trap as many people as possible.
    Ability to say "Hiya mate!" every five seconds.
    Ability to feign sincerity.
    Ability to feign any other human traits that might get you a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Paid street fundraisers are sometimes known as chuggers because usually fundraising is viewed as aggressive or invasive (a portmanteau of "charity" and "mugger")Wiki

I prefer the portmanteau "Chunt"

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

"I don't speak English" usually confuses them just long enough to get by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

he shouted "cool sideboards man"..

Insulting your taste in furniture is going too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

It's like going back in time on here. Is Ireland really so far behind the times? This reaction to chugging happened in the UK about 8 years ago, and now they just carry on as normal, realising that chuggers will always be around as the charities want the money they bring in, whether some people like it or not.

you stop if you want to, and don't if that's your preference, simple. All the people here that say they swear at chuggers are liars. I did the job years ago and you got swore at maybe once a week, usually by some tattooed eejit.

The thought of the keyboard warrior nerds here telling some South African rugby player who is chugging while travelling for a year to fuuck off cracks me up. You all shy away and say "no thanks" politely in all honesty.

Must be awful for Dubs to be so far behind real cities like London and Birmingham that they have to recycle their arguments from way back.

The other thing is, chuggers do need to be skilled. The average troglodyte does not posses the language ability or powers of persuasion/manipulation to do the job. The firms I worked for used to have a strict policy of only hiring graduates.

I got into the job when I moved to London 11 years ago after working as a sports journalist in France and the USA. I wanted a change of direction, and just something fun to do over a summer. I started off on a flat rate of £9.50 per hour with no commissions. 3 years later I was working as the manager of one of the largest agencies, managing 50+ people and earning approx €42k p.a.

The best chuggers are never the hippes, it's people who are pure sales people. I used to have a team leader who was constantly telling us how evil Nestle were and that we should boycott all their products as we were raising funds for a charity that was battling them.

Every lunch break I would take off my jacket and open a Kitkat Chunky, and every time she would say to me "How can you do that? Do you not care??"

My answer was "Sorry love, when the jacket comes off, the conscience goes with it." And it's true. I chugged and managed campaigns for charites like the WWF, when the fact is my life's ambition is to eat Panda meat before they die out. I also managed campaigns for Friends of the Earth and now I work in the oil business.

It's a job, one that can pay quite well if you are good at it, and one that can certainly open doors for your career further down the line.

Of course, now i just say "No thanks." when they ask me to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

summerskin wrote: »
    It's like going back in time on here. Is Ireland really so far behind the times? This reaction to chugging happened in the UK about 8 years ago, and now they just carry on as normal, realising that chuggers will always be around as the charities want the money they bring in, whether some people like it or not.

Actually this reaction to chugging also happened in Ireland 8 years ago and its happened every year since. I can't see people ever not being annoyed by being pestered by college kids for money while on their way to work.

Me neither, but amazingly it doesn't annoy EVERYONE, or people would not sign up to donate at all.

It annoys the crap out of me now, but so does lady gaga. Yet amazingly some people are not annoyed by her, and even listen to her music etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Any charity that resorts to using chuggers (or dying children tv ads) is not a charity I want anything to do with

Advertisement