Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presidential Inauguration of Michael D. Higgins

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did Gay Mitchell show up today or is he still at home sulking and kicking the cat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Did Gay Mitchell show up today or is he still at home sulking and kicking the cat..

He was there Jon.

How big and statesmanlike of him to finally show an ounce of grace. Far too late, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Skid wrote: »
    He was there Jon.

Aha... that explains the rainclouds.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

squonk wrote: »
    What car is he using? I'd heard he wasn't going to use the official Rolls-Royce but use instead Dev's Dodge from the museum in Ennis. Any one watching that can let me know?
    squonk wrote: »
    it's a shame! it'd have been nice to see at least one of the old cars . Maybe the weather put paid to the plan though?

There were never any plans to use De Valera’s Dodge today but the Major of Co. Clare has offered President Higgins use of the car on his first official visit to Co. Clare.
    Dev’s Dodge awaits Michael D

Written by Dan Danaher

THE most famous car in Clare looks set to be used by the new President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins on his first official visit to the county where he was reared.

THE most famous car in Clare looks set to be used by the new President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins on his first official visit to the county where he was reared.
    Mayor of Clare Councillor Pat Hayes is supporting calls for Eamon de Valera’s black Dodge to be made available to the former Labour deputy who was elected President on Saturday, when he returns to the Banner County.

If, as expected, the mayor’s plans come to fruition, Mr Higgins would become the third president to use the car, built by the Crysler Corporation Company in 1947, following in the footsteps of Sean T O’Ceallaigh and Eamonn de Valera.

Councillor Hayes predicts the use of the car by Mr Higgins, who is the third President with strong Clare links, would help efforts to dramatically increase the tourism potential of the car, which is currently in the foyer of the de Valera Library in Ennis.

“I am delighted another Clare man has been elected as President of Ireland and I look forward to seeing him enjoying the space and luxury provided in Eamon de Valera’s car. This would be a great marketing and public relations event for the county and would help to boost tourism in the future,” he said.

The skills of motor mechanic, Councillor PJ Ryan, ensured de Valera’s black Dodge is gleaming again following months of restoration work earlier this year.

Councillor Ryan, who has offered to drive the new President around Ennis, insists the Dodge is roadworthy and would be ready with a battery charge and a fill of petrol.
    “Michael D is entitled to get a spin in de Valera’s car considering he is the third Clare man to become President. The car has all the symbols of the presidency, the Tricolour and a badge on its roof so it would be more than suitable to be used by the new President,” he said.

Meanwhile, in his acceptance speech, the new President pledged he would dedicate his abilities to the service and welfare of the people of Ireland. He attacked the materialism displayed during the Celtic Tiger years and said he saw and felt the pain of the Irish people during almost 14 months of campaigning.

“I recognised the need for a reflection on those values and assumptions that had brought us to such a sorry pass in social and economic terms. I recognised the righteous anger but I also saw the need for healing and to move past recrimination.

“I love our shared Ireland for its core decencies, for its imagination and its celebration of the endless possibilities for our people that are there for the achieving as we leave behind a narrow individualism, that valued the person for what was assumed to be their accumulated wealth but neglected the connection between the person, the social, the community and the nation,” he said.

Clare Champion

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8075:devs-dodge-awaits-michael-d&catid=41:politics&Itemid=60

De Valera’s Dodge

devcar_1.jpg
    This car is a 1947 Plymouth Dodge, registration number ZH 1333. Originally maroon in colour, the car was manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation in Detroit, U.S.A. It is 226 inches long, 75 inches wide and 66 inches high. Weighing approximately 2 tons, the car can seat 8 people plus the driver. It was purchased new for Sean T. Ó Ceallaigh during his term of office as President of Ireland. Sean T. Ó Ceallaigh personally drove the car for 12 years, until his presidential term ended in 1959.

In 1959 Eamon de Valera purchased the car for his own personal use, and had it painted black. Although he continued to use the official Rolls Royce on formal state occasions, President de Valera often drove the Dodge to political functions around the country and regularly drove the car around County Clare.

In 1988 the Dodge was presented to Clare County Council by Dr. Eamon de Valera and Ann de Valera on the wishes of their late sister, Margaret. The car which was donated by De Valera to the people of Clare is currently housed in the Clare County Museum.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/people/e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Satts wrote: »
    We do this very well, makes me proud to be Irish. His office is off to a good start, gives hope that things will come good, and we need hope more than anything else at the moment.

Here's hoping !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

I done wrote about de televisual spectacle for Vinny B's politico (I'll let everyone know if I ever get to read the papers or get access to the monogrammed coffee mugs)

http://www.politico.ie/irish-politics/fair-comment/8051-higgins-inauguration-circumstance-little-pomp.html
    President de Valera often drove the Dodge to political functions around the country and regularly drove the car around County Clare.

That's terrifying, considering that he was functionally blind when he took up convalescence ... I mean office :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Locking this while I clean it up (to remove all the off topic crap).
    There are lots of other forums where you can talk about recession, cuts and the budget (hint: not here)

Edit: OK, 19 posts deleted. You should all know better than that, folks...

I just want to see discussion about the TV coverage of the inauguration from now on.

Advertisement