Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who the F**K are the markets?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭amacca

Tandey wrote: »
    More importantly who is it that has the power to make the worlds money? Who produces the euro notes and why cant they just make a few trillion more and put it in our bank so we can all be rich fucker$??

I like your manifesto....lets put it to the testo!

(google hyperinflation in the weimar republic to see the error of your ways - ironically what you suggest will probably happen /has happened to an extent - they have a new phrase for it called quantitative easing as if you could ever hope to quantify peoples capacity or fear or losing faith in a currency)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭amacca

al28283 wrote: »
    It'd ruin the shining. Why is that kid writing murder everywhere?

granted....but just avoid the horror films that involve backwards/reverse writing......its not that much of a price to pay for hours of mirror enhanced viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

When a country (like Ireland) wants to borrow money, they borrow from the bond markets. Most of the bond markets consist of large insurance and pension companies who are trying to invest their clients money.

Quite rightly, these companies don't want to lose their clients money, so they ask for a high rate of interest if they think they might not get their money back. Often, they won't lend to a country at all if there is too much risk. And rightly so.

Hurling accusations at "the markets" is an easy way for politicians to blame someone else for them being unable to balance the countries books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The markets are just people. You can be a part of them if you have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're cousins of the bankers, and nephews of the guberment.. and they live next door to Big Pharma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

kincsem wrote: »
    People in stripey coloured blazers shouting at each other?

We don't shout. That's only in the movies.
    We don't even shout on the phone.
    Hell you can't even shout at somebody in the office anymore.

The blokes with the stripey jackets (locals) are old hat too except for a token few remaining in NY and Chicago for reasons of nostalgia.
    Agree they might look good on the TV news but the fact is they don't do much of anything else.

Its very cynical.
    "The markets" are real people who use keyboards to wreck the world.

These "markets" really don't care about wrecking everything. That's just a consequence.
    Making money is the only reason they exist. Or in some cases, not losing money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The "markets" are the reason we need guns, explosives and lots of canned food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

OP watch this on channel4od and the rest in the series for related stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Isn't it true that much of the markets run semi-automatically on the back on complex software that buy and sell at defined price points? Fairly sure I saw something about that being some of the cause of the 2008 crash's severity on a BBC2 show a few months back... it's also a case that banks and large investment firms are recruiting code programmers and engineers rather than people coming from a purely business education background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I am the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The market represent reality. You can't run your economy foolishly and expect to get away with it. The market is amoral and unforgiving. But we knew the market was there in the first place and what would happen if we screwed stuff up, yet we still screwed stuff up. I think you should direct your questions to politicians, regulators and bankers that remain in their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seem a bit of a schizophrenic bunch to me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement