Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a reasonably strong earthquake be good for the economy?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

If we experienced a pretty strong earthquake would it be good for pump-priming the Irish economy by putting loads of construction workers, plumbers, plasterers, road repairers and the like back to work?

We could also get the demolition people in to bulldoze the ghost estates and the property market might stabilise as a result.

(lets just say nobody was killed or seriously injured by the earthquake before the self-righteously indignant come galloping in on tall horses)

Well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It'd create some short term jobs but the underlying causes of our problems would still be there. All the rebuilding work would be paid for by insurance payouts anyway, with the costs of that eventually passed on to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

no definitely not,japan too was in a recession at the time of their really bad earthquake/tsunami/nuclear reactor crisis and that only destroyed their ecenomy further! i read somehwere that japans econmy receeded by 1.3 percent so short answer no not at all, would be very bad for ireland:p
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/japan-earthquake-tsunami-lawrence-summers-economists-fallout-negatively/story?id=13113670#.TrmOK_QkAY4

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

No. It'd probably set us back a few years if the main infrastructure was damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nah but it'd be some crack....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Christchurch earthquake has, oddly, created lots of construction jobs for unemployed Irish workers.

But it also brought an already struggling city to its knees and destroyed the vibrant town centre. Not to mention the shocking loss of life.

Any 'positives' (if you could even call them that) are not worth it. Earthquakes are bad, bad things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Scumbags are good for the economy. They stimulate spending by breaking shit (which means it has to be fixed or replaced) and they provide employment for Gardaí and lawyers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'll anonymously have rocks thrown through your windows OP.
    You come back and tell us if you're better off as a result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

darragh16 wrote: »
    No. It'd probably set us back a few years if the main infrastructure was damaged.

That would be a problem for sure.

Maybe we could have a competition where you have a global raffle and if you win you get to go up in a fighter jet and and take out a semi-D in ghost estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I am going to go out on a limb here and say No.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll anonymously have rocks thrown through your windows OP.
    You come back and tell us if you're better off as a result...

I c what u did there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

putting loads of construction workers, plumbers, plasterers, road repairers and the like back to work?

The chancers & cowboys who ballsed up most of the houses & apartments built over the last 15 years?

I would sincerely hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A volcanic eruption would be much more beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

If we experienced a pretty strong earthquake would it be good for pump-priming the Irish economy by putting loads of construction workers, plumbers, plasterers, road repairers and the like back to work?

We could also get the demolition people in to bulldoze the ghost estates and the property market might stabilise as a result.

(lets just say nobody was killed or seriously injured by the earthquake before the self-righteously indignant come galloping in on tall horses)

Well?
    Nothing like a tectonic weapon to get the ball rolling again.

No fans of the Multiplier effect in here then?

Whyzat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Scumbags are good for the economy. They stimulate spending by breaking shit (which means it has to be fixed or replaced) and they provide employment for Gardaí and lawyers

That explains the function of the Northsiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I think we should vote for one, we never get anything :mad:

ill be voting for it :cool:

Whyzat?
    1. Fertile soil
    2. Free heating
    3. Tourism
    4. Kills nosey people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Whyzat?

im fairly sure he was being sarcastic;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Might not have to wait too long to find out OP.

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I wasn't actually :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

bb1234567 wrote: »

If I could post a picture of an iron and an ironing board I would

marcsignal wrote: »

Frackin' Backstards.

Saila wrote: »
    I think we should vote for one, we never get anything :mad:

ill be voting for it :cool:

A Department of Earthquakes would be pretty ground-breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No fans of the Multiplier effect in here then?
    Not really relevant here, since the OP has fallen foul of the broken window fallacy and hasn't factored in opportunity costs ... ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Well?

if the epicentre was smack bang in the middle of a mass gathering of all the nations scum bags on a godly dutch gold session it would be very good indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

marcsignal wrote: »

Oh FFS...they'll let this go on and then slap a feckin' carbon tax on the rest of us next month? :mad:

Fracked gas is a filty source of energy nevermind the consequences for minor seismic events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

We did have volcanoes in Ireland many years ago. Giants causeway. Even down in Cork there are formations of volcanic rock.

We did have volcanoes in Ireland many years ago. Giants causeway.

Lol don't be silly. The giants causeway was made by a giant.

The clue is in the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Simple answer is no, it wouldn't be good for the economy. Even if it did allow for employment(short term at that). There problems caused by the earthquake would be a lot worse, and more costly for the economy. Making it worse for the economy. Unless of course other countries donated money to us, like they did for Japan's tsunami and the 2005 tsunami in the Indian Ocean. But if i'm not mistaken, aren't they still suffering from the damage even today.

Advertisement