Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White House denies aliens exist . . . so do they?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

The White House says it has no evidence that extraterrestrial creatures exist.

The Obama administration made the unusual declaration in response to a feature on its website that allows people to submit petitions that administration officials must respond to if enough people sign on.

In this case, more than 5,000 people signed a petition demanding that the White House disclose the government's knowledge of extraterrestrial beings.

More than 12,000 signed another petition seeking formal acknowledgement of an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race.
    Poll: Do you believe in aliens?
    I do. I think the universe is so massive that this little rock here can't be the only one that supports life.

Do you believe aliens exist? 87 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    78% 68 votes
    Don't Know
    9% 8 votes
    Atari Anal Probe
    12% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ryanair wouldn't let me on that flight this morning, told me it was "overbooked". Overbooked.

Sorry, wrong thread. Er...yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes.

Do I think any have crash landed on Earth or abducted people from Earth?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Just look in the Dail... full of strange alien beings!

That's proof positive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

MetalDog wrote: »
    The White House says it has no evidence that extraterrestrial creatures exist.

How do you know the White House exists if you've never been there ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They've passed through immigration, they're American Aliens now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

5000 signatures out of only 400 million citizens? Holy **** if I was barrack I'd be nervous.

Aliens almost certainly exist. They just don't hang out on earth. We are bound by physics to be in the arse end of nowhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I believe 100% more that aliens exist than 100% truth exists in the White House!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

If you think of all the stars / planets out there , we are being very arrogant assuming there is no other life.

Of course there is !

Now has it ever visited here , well maybe .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Et was real whats obama talking about ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Davidth88 wrote: »
    If you think of all the stars / planets out there , we are being very arrogant assuming there is no other life.

Of course there is !

Now has it ever visited here , well maybe .......

I'd be generally of the same opinion meself.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Et was real whats obama talking about ?

God knows - they can't even find intelligent life in the Republican party lately though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

This is the same White House that proved that WMDs existed?

Logic applied to their track record would therefore dictate that aliens do exist.

As others have pointed out, it's unbelievably arrogant (and a woeful waste of space) to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I saw this documentary a few weeks ago about alien robots working in conjunction with the US military. There was this young lad in it who looked a bit like Jim Corr so it has to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Of course they exist, we've just never been in contact with them. They might not even be in the Milky way.

Consider how vast the universe is...

...and to think we are on our own, is indeed arrogant.

I saw this documentary a few weeks ago about alien robots working in conjunction with the US military.

The alien robots will switch allegiances to the Chinese in a few decades the way things are going

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I believe this news release was after the allegation that the white house was hiring illegal Mexicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Logic applied to their track record would therefore dictate that aliens do exist.

As others have pointed out, it's unbelievably arrogant (and a woeful waste of space) to think otherwise.

It's actually a completely different 'white house' as when a new president takes over, all staff under the previous president leave with him and new staff come with the new president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭illumi

It would be silly to think that in a universe this big that our planet is the only one with life on it. But I don't believe that Aliens are anything like movies show lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Biggins wrote: »

Consider how vast the universe is...

...and to think we are on our own, is indeed arrogant.

Exactly, no matter how long the odds are on everything being so perfect for a planet to foster life (as they are here) the universe is just simply that big.

There could have been countless alien planets that have actually become extinct and the planets destroyed such is the age of our universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Liam Byrne wrote: »

They do exist, but it was actually the white house staff during world war two that proved that by nuking japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I think that the media (Discovery Channel included) have been publishing the most optimistic estimates of life arising spontaneously. The more conservative scientists estimate that intelligent extraterrestrial life (I assume this is what the OP meant by "aliens") is extremely rare if it exists at all.

Furthermore, our earth is anything but a typical planet. It has a huge moon relative to its own size which stabilises it so that earth's climate remains stable. It has a molten iron core which produces a strong magnetic field to protect life from harmful radiation. It is the optimal distance from its star so that water remains in a liquid state. Those three factors make earth a very special place in cosmological terms. All three have been essential to earth being a habitable planet where life can evolve.

Add to this the fact that life does not form as easily as was believed to be the case when Fermi and associates made their original estimates. In fact, modern scientific opinion is that earth is too young for life to have evolved here and that the first living organisms arrived on by hitching rides on comets.

Scientific predictions have been woefully poor when it comes to finding extraterrestrial life. The first SETI conference which met at Green Bank in 1961 predicted that signs of extraterrestrial intelligence would be detected within the decade. We're still searching unsuccessfully 7 decades later. Scientists involved with the Mars expeditions were convinced that signs of life would be found on Mars. They have been disappointed thus far.

My conclusion is that all evidence gathered to date points to us being alone. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I won't be holding my breath.

And no, I'm not arrogant. I'm just a realist.

Spunge wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

I think that the media (Discovery Channel included) have been publishing the most optimistic estimates of life arising spontaneously. The more conservative scientists estimate...
    There's the thing... the "more conservative" whereas the more un-conservative estimate different...

Truth is, we will in our generation, never know - probably.
    Life elsewhere could have already lived and died many, many times over in places we have yet to even possibly imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Of course the question of if intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is wildly fucking different to the question of will we ever make contact with or find signs of other intelligent life.

That said most people are so hellbent on believing the opposite of whatever comes out of the white house, that if they said that aliens were real they'd be adamant there were no such thing.

Of course there are aliens. How could there not be? We only know fully about a minute piece of our own solar system, let alone the universe as a whole. I really don't understand the cover ups by the American government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I do believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately , its the government.

I really don't understand the cover ups by the American government.

Why does the American government have to be the only one which knows about alien life and covers it up? What about the Russians etc? The problem I would have with a global conspiracy is that it would be a teamwork between countries which do not get along with one another. Why would they do this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In June 1947 an alien spacecraft & it's alien occupants allegedly crash landed into a field near Roswell in New Mexico.

Nine months later, TV presenter Jeremy Beadle was born.

I don't think that these two events were a coincidence.

Advertisement