Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childish Gambino - Camp [STREAM]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pretty darn good album. I'm going to pick up this in physical form.

Great production and some seriously good word play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Really like childish gambino. The production is great. Just for people that dont know Childish Gambino is donald glover who is Troy from the show Community and he also writes for 30 Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

really enjoying this, again not gotten through the whole album but so far really solid, after just recently giving in to see what the fuss was about.
    have to admit, the first time i ever heard him i thought it was a joke, in the same vein as lil b.

as were take care seems to be getting boring the further into the album you get this seems to be getting better by the track.

im definitely gonna add this to my cd collection when it drops.

ok now officially a childish gambino stan.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    ok now officially a childish gambino stan.:D
    He has free EPs available as well, think you can get them here: http://www.iamdonald.com/

You'll be watching Community next

• Advertisement

lol downloaded community a few weeks back, been reading good things about it for a while now.
    and just last week downloaded his mixtapes, which i havnt listened to fully, so this is the first time ive really listened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Community is a great show. Very addictive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pretty darn good album. I'm going to pick up this in physical form.

Great production and some seriously good word play.

Prob gonna be the 1st physical cd I've bought in years! Still havent picked up actual copy of Cats and Dogs yet but thats also on list

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭muchacho

Gambino is a mastermind! Love the album.

Prob gonna be the 1st physical cd I've bought in years! Still havent picked up actual copy of Cats and Dogs yet but thats also on list

You can get Cats & Dogs in HMV for €12.99 on CD format. Good price.
    You can supisingly also get Adventures in Counter Culture by Blueprint.

Hopefully they or someone else will stock Camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

You can get Cats & Dogs in HMV for €12.99 on CD format. Good price.
    You can supisingly also get Adventures in Counter Culture by Blueprint.

Cheers, good to know. Will pick it up tomorrow. Counter Culture was a bit hit and miss for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

just started listening to this chap the last few days.

UNREAL! very good. Real refreshing sound about him.

not sure if its available here now but hmv hadnt even got it on their system a week ago, ended up ordering on line, fooking thing still hasnt arrived.:rolleyes:

not sure if its available here now but hmv hadnt even got it on their system a week ago, ended up ordering on line, fooking thing still hasnt arrived.:rolleyes:

your lucky you have got a hmv hugh im stuck with fu*king golden discs there cat all together, I just buy most of my stuff on itunes now even though im not a fan of it rather cd's anyday.

so whats the story with this chap is he gay or something not that i care his music is class, seems to have a great ear for beats too but there seems to be a lot of rubbish wrote under his video's on youtube?

your lucky you have got a hmv hugh im stuck with fu*king golden discs there cat all together, I just buy most of my stuff on itunes now even though im not a fan of it rather cd's anyday.

so whats the story with this chap is he gay or something not that i care his music is class, seems to have a great ear for beats too but there seems to be a lot of rubbish wrote under his video's on youtube?
    no idea if hes gay mate, dont think so tbh, purely guess work tho.
    i gotta be honest, heard his stuff maybe last year and thought it was a joke, lil b kind of stuff.
    gave him another go on this cd and have been proved mightily wrong.

hes an actor/rapper, is on community and writes for 30 rock, i read a stand up comedy show aired in the states last night, must keep an eye out for that.

hes just a talented fukker, finger in every pie.

so where are u mate that u can only get a golden discs?

no idea if hes gay mate, dont think so tbh, purely guess work tho.
    i gotta be honest, heard his stuff maybe last year and thought it was a joke, lil b kind of stuff.
    gave him another go on this cd and have been proved mightily wrong.

hes an actor/rapper, is on community and writes for 30 rock, i read a stand up comedy show aired in the states last night, must keep an eye out for that.

hes just a talented fukker, finger in every pie.

so where are u mate that u can only get a golden discs?

ye i just wanted to get an idea of his character/backround there seems to be a lot of trolling under his youtube videos.

he is talented alright most defiantly, im going to buy his album on itunes during the week it seems good.

im from waterford, we use to have bpm records a great place for all kinds of hip hop but it shut down there around 6 months ago was a good well run local music shop say it closed due to current times and all that but ye golden discs is all we got now as you could imagine it isnt the best for anything outside commercial hip hop not a hope id get childish gambino's album in there.

where are you dublin or cork id say dont think there's too many hmvs in ireland?

what do you make of hmv for hip hop...

dublin mate, two big sized hmv's near me, their ok for rap, its very rare i buy a cd, normally buy on line.
    but they usually have what im looking for, tbh id spend more money in hmv on blu ray's.

He's not gay, apparently he is quite the ladies man and would put every boards user combined to shame in his conquests :D

There was a great article in Maxim (US Edition) a few months back where they gave him cash to spend and followed him around for a day.
    He ended up buying runners and other stuff, then going to a bar and told all his twitter followers to come along.....i think it ended with him leaving with a few of the girls.

As far as buying music in Dublin now, I rarely can find anything to buy. The good shops are gone, or dont bother updating the hip hop section. Then the larger ones like HMV are either hugely overpriced, or just are filled with 20 coppies of each Jay Z, Eminem and 2Pac album (except Strict 4 My).
    I travel to Berlin a few times a year and always make a pilgramidge to CD Cover just off Zoo and kick over a stack of cash for a stack of CDs.

The last time I was there I had to persuade them to give me thier last copy of the new Atmosphere album. The dude was listening to it and didnt want the shop to get rid of the last copy. They also always throw in some free stuff as well as they know me by now. The last time i got Kriss Kross 'Da Bomb' for free.
    I dont think that you would get the same service in any Irish music outlet.....Abbey Discs used to be kind of cool and give me discounts, but nothing for free.

So, I pretty much expect to get Childish Gambino 'Camp' on my next pilgramidge to Berlin.

Oh....something cool about Chilish Gambino, he got the name from the 'What's your Wu-Tang name' generator years ago and stuck with it :D

He's not gay, apparently he is quite the ladies man and would put every boards user combined to shame in his conquests :D

There was a great article in Maxim (US Edition) a few months back where they gave him cash to spend and followed him around for a day.
    He ended up buying runners and other stuff, then going to a bar and told all his twitter followers to come along.....i think it ended with him leaving with a few of the girls.

As far as buying music in Dublin now, I rarely can find anything to buy. The good shops are gone, or dont bother updating the hip hop section. Then the larger ones like HMV are either hugely overpriced, or just are filled with 20 coppies of each Jay Z, Eminem and 2Pac album (except Strict 4 My).
    I travel to Berlin a few times a year and always make a pilgramidge to CD Cover just off Zoo and kick over a stack of cash for a stack of CDs.

The last time I was there I had to persuade them to give me thier last copy of the new Atmosphere album. The dude was listening to it and didnt want the shop to get rid of the last copy. They also always throw in some free stuff as well as they know me by now. The last time i got Kriss Kross 'Da Bomb' for free.
    I dont think that you would get the same service in any Irish music outlet.....Abbey Discs used to be kind of cool and give me discounts, but nothing for free.

So, I pretty much expect to get Childish Gambino 'Camp' on my next pilgramidge to Berlin.

Oh....something cool about Chilish Gambino, he got the name from the 'What's your Wu-Tang name' generator years ago and stuck with it :D

ye it didnt bother me i just wanted to get some proper info on his backround a lot of rubbish on youtube under his videos, how he got his name is a nice touch though it's actually class that he kept it.

as far as the music scene as far as buying cd's i think its coming to an end anyway, digital era is starting to kick in big time in another 10 years id say it will be pretty much all digital , i think itunes account for more sales than cd's these days so that says a lot and belguim is a long way to go for a few cd's says it all :D,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Gonna download a few of his stuff and give him a listen over the next few days.

What kinda sub-genre is it similar to? Is it mellow or is it OFWGKTA-hard or what?

That's class about the name. I just tried it there now and I got Auxillary Priest.

I've a fada in my first name so when I put it in then my Wu name changes to Ultra-Chronic Monstah. I'll be sticking with the fada from now on.
    i think itunes account for more sales than cd's these days so that says a lot and belguim is a long way to go for a few cd's says it all :D,

Ha Berlin is in Germany not Belgium.

• Advertisement

Ha Berlin is in Germany not Belgium.

I taught boom bap said belgium for some reason my bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Old thread, revive.

I got this today, purely because I watched Community a few times and noticed the guy on 106 and Park on Rapradar.com so I watched to see if he was any use.

Wow.

Listened to the whole album through, track by track on the way to the granny's house today, absolutely loved it. Bonfire is my favourite track, the word play blew me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Still trying to get into this guy. I like some of the lyrics, he's very good with words, but I don't like some of the beats he uses. But he's a seriously talented bloke.

I like this one:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

As for buying music there is all city (I presume, I still get emails from them but have not been to the shop in a long time) its on Crow St around templebar area there.

I am not a cd fan so I would just download it personally.

As for buying music there is all city (I presume, I still get emails from them but have not been to the shop in a long time) its on Crow St around templebar area there.

I am not a cd fan so I would just download it personally.

I stopped going to All City, the Hip Hop section has just turned into a few CD's that they havent been able to sell over the years because they are just too avante garde. But you never know what you an dig out in the 2nd handers.

I stil havent seen a physical copy of Camp anywhere. Must look in the DVD section of HMV beside Community, some marketing Guru probably thought it was wise to put it there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pitchfork gave this a 1.6:eek:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16074-camp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Rjd2 wrote: »

Damn. That's pretty scathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I stopped going to All City, the Hip Hop section has just turned into a few CD's that they havent been able to sell over the years because they are just too avante garde. But you never know what you an dig out in the 2nd handers.

hmm I have not been there for a while but they used to be very good on Hip-Hop, but I only bought some Irish stuff from them because as I said I am more into downloading them as cds end up being thrown out or around.
    Damn. That's pretty scathing.

Plus what they wrote can be equally aplied to Take Care yet they gave that a 8.6 or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I quite like the album myself, it's not a classic or anything but some of the tracks are mad nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Advertisement