Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old is your oldest living (close)relative?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Over 70 nearly 80 can't remember their age think they are in late 70's. Oldest living grandparent was over 90 but that was a few years ago and has since passed away. Legendary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

gran is 103, her sister 98, her bro died last year at 98.
    She can still tell us about the black and tans driving past their farm shooting at the cattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

All of my grandparents and their siblings/spouses are dead. I suppose my oldest living relative now would be my dad, who is 54. Thats scary when I think about it..

Although, my OH's grandparents are in their late 80's and super active. His grandad only gave up work 2 years ago because he had a stroke (he fitted burglar alarms, and taught music).

Great people, makes me miss my own grandparents all the more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

a fellow vampire friend of mine came along about a century and a half after me it was rough in the 14th century though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

My oldest relative is my aunt who is 69. My father's parents both died in their fifties (stroke and heart attack). My mother's parents both died in their early 70s (grandfather 71 cancer and grandmother 74 dementia related). It's not looking like a long life for me going on past family form but at least I'll die laughing at all you poor saps struggling to get by on the state pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

My grandaunt is 98. She is frail but doing well mentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

triseke wrote: »
    All of my grandparents and their siblings/spouses are dead. I suppose my oldest living relative now would be my dad, who is 54. Thats scary when I think about it..

Although, my OH's grandparents are in their late 80's and super active. His grandad only gave up work 2 years ago because he had a stroke (he fitted burglar alarms, and taught music).

Great people, makes me miss my own grandparents all the more.
    54 is is certainley not old

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All of my grandparents are gone at least 15 years at this stage. Except for one who died in childbirth and another who died in his 70's, the other 3 lived into their late 80's. Oldest living relative would be my aunt, approaching 70. Though I think I have a grandaunt that I've never met, she'd be in her 90's now, if she's still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

My grandad's sister is 98/99, nearly ancient... Heard on some antiques programme that you can only call something ancient once it reaches 100... And think the government gives you some money too.. Rock on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

96 my granny is, although she is house bound and a very angry/head stronge woman who refuses to let go(she''l be around for another 20 years I'd say) even though she has lost her husband, all her sisters, my mam and a son, but she has her 3 other sons and their wifes doing everything for her, ugh, still love the woman though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

My grandad is about 86.

He's a farmer and still works on his farm everyday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Apparently its my aunty who is 76. We don't live long in my family, on either side!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zombot

My granny turned 100 this year, she's brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

god

hes ancient

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

my Granny is 90, she'll be 91 in February, she lives alone although my mother and my uncle take turns staying the night there now. Weve tried to convince her for years to move in but she likes her independence, she's in pretty good shape, very intelligent woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Some of my aunts and uncles are in their late 70s. All the Grandparents, apart from one grandmother, are all dead for over 45 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I have two grand aunts in their late 70's nearly 80 the coming year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

My great-grandmother is still alive at 92, although she is failing quite fast now :(

Still, she's had a colourful, if tough, life. Always a strong character, even when her sight was almost gone, she'd never fail to tell my mother she'd put on weight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My great (great) uncle died last year aged 93-most energetic spritely person you'd ever meet even at that age, but as soon as his wife died, he followed six months after :(

Oldest now is mammy, and she'd kill me for giving the age away, but she's still a yung un!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My Grand Aunt is 86, she's a legend. She's basically my Granyn though cos she raised my Dad and took him away from a very messy family situation.

She could drink any of yis under the table and smokes like a chimney. She's always travelling around the country gambling too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Q. Why do men not live as long as women?

A. Because they don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

seamus wrote: »
    All of my grandparents are gone at least 15 years at this stage. Except for one who died in childbirth and another who died in his 70's, the other 3 lived into their late 80's. Oldest living relative would be my aunt, approaching 70. Though I think I have a grandaunt that I've never met, she'd be in her 90's now, if she's still alive.
    :confused:

Really lovely to see so many enjoy and appreciate the company of elders, really lovely.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sitec wrote: »
    "Must be about 80 now"

I suppose so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Grandad on my Dad's side at 86.....and still in good health mentally and physically thank god.

I'm lucky to have all four grandparents still......they are all elderly now but still healthy and happy and I adore them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Alot of them have died off in recent years including a Gran Aunt who reached 102. The oldest in the family now is my Granny who refuses to disclose her true age to anybody. We estimate her to be somewhere in the late 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:confused:
    Longish story. Maternal grandmother died after giving birth, child died too. Family was told, "Died in childbirth" and that was that. My mother decided to investigate 40 years later through FOI and it turned out that after she gave birth, she was fine, but was put into a ward with a whole pile of women who had dysentry. Contracted dysentry, died. Good old 1950's Ireland.

Anyway, there were still five children left behind, and as was the custom at the time, the local priest had decided that a man was incapable of raising five children, and they were going to split them up and send them to various places - foster families, laundries, etc.
    My mother's aunt (her mother's sister) spotted the ridiculous inhumanity of the situation and stepped in, moved into the family home as the primary childcarer in order to keep the five children together, and with their father.
    Being 1950's Ireland, it would be inappropriate for a man to be with a woman to whom he's not married, so my grandfather was promptly married to his sister-in-law.

So technically she was my grand-aunt, but she was considered a granny to us all. So I had five grandparents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Have an uncle & aunty 85,my own mother 76 :) plus my partners friends mother is 102 in may :eek: :) and still plays bridge every tuesday night ;)

Advertisement