Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old is your oldest living (close)relative?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

My granny is 92 this year, and she's a frickin legend. She won't join any of those active retirement groups because she says they're for "old fogies", and she loves going out to the pub. Last Saturday week I was in watching the telly at about 1am, and she came in the door with my dad, both slightly worse for wear having been in the pub the whole night. It's a strange sensation when you're granny has a more active social life than you do! She also has this funny habit of getting up to answer the phone whenever one rings on the telly. Ah bless.

Anyway, how old is your oldest close relative? And do you have any funny stories about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

M great granny is 102 an on her way out:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

John Doe1 wrote: »

Herself and Einhard's Gran should go out together, make a night of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

John Doe1 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that JD.
    Herself and Einhard's Gran should go out together, make a night of it.

:D They'd probably drink us all under the table!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

106 and in fairly good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

gandalf the grey, 2500 years old!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Grand uncle who is 98. He was in the RAF in WWII and still has the David Niven moustache and 'chocks away, Roger. Wilko.' accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

being serious actually, All my grandparents are gone:( so my dad. just went 60! funny story? he once cut a clamp from his car.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

"Must be about 80 now"

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Grand uncle who is 98. He was in the RAF in WWII and still has the David Niven moustache and 'chocks away, Roger. Wilko.' accent.

Is his name Biggles?

Just so you know, I'll be disappointed if the response is in the negative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Your gran seems fuppin awesome Einhard! Mine is 94 - very frail by now, but up to age 90 she was relatively youthful. Her mind is still sharp though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Do great aunties count as 'close'?

If they do, then 94 I think. I don't have any grandparents though so I'm not pleased with long-life genes unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Was in the Olympia tonight and was glad to see that Maureen (from Maureen's Bar) is still with us. She must be in her mid 80's. Lovely woman and I can't remember ever seeing a gig or a play when she wasn't there with a smile on her face greeting her patrons. A true Dublin legend and just for the sake of the thread: she's my granny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

My granny is 96 and had a part time job until she was 88 . Legend !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mother in law at 85.

My nana passed away at 94 a year or so back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My brother is 57. I'm 51.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah taxi driver the other night was saying he was 84 - fair play to the man.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    My brother is 57. I'm 51.

Would have thought you'd be pushing the 2612 year mark by now! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Einhard wrote: »
    Is his name Biggles?

Just so you know, I'll be disappointed if the response is in the negative!

Sorry :o. He introduces himself as 'Brad. Brad Brady. Dontcha know. What!' but my grandmother always called him Connie. His wife's name is Constance (she's 96 and seems to be still Digging for Victory) - so I like to refer to them as The Two Connies. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

psychward wrote: »
    My granny is 96 and had a part time job until she was 88 . Legend !

Aer Lingus stewardess? I think I met her once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Aer Lingus stewardess? I think I met her once.

No she worked in a bookies office and was much better looking ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Granny lived to 93, grand aunt to 101. She was delighted with her letter, and cheque, from the president
    Men in my family aren't so fortunate...

Granny lived to 93, grand aunt to 101. She was delighted with her letter, and cheque, from the president
    Men in my family aren't so fortunate...

I would have thought your father would have beaten everyone hands down, being eternal and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My Grandmother is 92.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Einhard wrote: »
    I would have thought your father would have beaten everyone hands down, being eternal and all!

Nietzche told me he was dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Grandad's about 87 and unfortunately doesn't seem too happy these days, only get to visit him about once a week, being in college midweek, but we hold huge get-together's between the whole family pretty much every 6 months which he enjoys hugely. Very funny, witty man, loves his sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

My grandparents are both in their early 70s. They both look younger. my gramps sports a santa beard and has a big belly, if there was a santa I'd bet anything on him being it.

My grandparents are both in their early 70s. They both look younger. my gramps sports a santa beard and has a big belly, if there was a santa I'd bet anything on him being it.

What do you mean "if"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

My great-aunt Margaret turned 92 earlier this year but I've never met her. The oldest living relative that I've met is my grandfather who is 84.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

my last aunt on my mother's side is 98 and her brain is as sharp as a knife she wouldent miss a trick she can even read without glasses and i have to wear glasses to read sadley she's the last one left from my mother's family when she goes it's the end of a great family my mother died 3yrs back she was 92 and as sharp as a knife too i often wonder will all of the extended family live too those great ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah taxi driver the other night was saying he was 84 - fair play to the man.
    hope ya got home safe

Advertisement