Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not giving a sh1t about football

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Football, or sport, for that matter is usually an ice-breaker among most males. Its easy for water cooler talk in work by just asking ''did ya see the match last night?''

I'm a massive fan of football but I'm also well able to converse with people on a wide range of subjects. Unfortunately, alot of these soccer fans aren't considerate/ articulate enough to allow a chat sway in another direction.

Just wondering, for all the people (lads especially) who are not into football, do you get worked up at all when the national side do well in major competitions eg Italia 90, USA 94 and Japan/South Korea 02?

* Oh and +1 on the whole 'we' factor when referring to English teams, really makes me cringe so much to hear two Dubs call each other dirty Mancs or Scouse scum. Shudderville!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

That IT Crowd episode was just made for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Kiera wrote: »
    Just "come out" OP and have it done with :P

OP's clearly off side ...:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    The humiliating memory of being picked last for football in PE (and the teacher having to force a team to accept you ) should have abated somewhat by now in fairness.

Did you mean mast-abated?

snigger snigger

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

stovelid wrote: »
    The humiliating memory of being picked last for football in PE (and the teacher having to force a team to accept you ) should have abated somewhat by now in fairness.

I was a pretty decent footballer compared to my class in school. Football fans can be out of shape as well. Ever go into a pub during the World Cup? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

FinnLizzy...... your brave, will you be my friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just wondering, for all the people (lads especially) who are not into football, do you get worked up at all when the national side do well in major competitions eg Italia 90, USA 94 and Japan/South Korea 02?
    I'd watch a few Irish games alright but i wouldn't be going out of my way to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dont like football or gaa either. Only like sports where people are battering the crap out of eachother and golf. People who go on and on about football are usually boring bastards I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

fjsanchez wrote: »
    That IT Crowd episode was just made for this thread

Did you see that ludicrous display last naite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    People who go on and on about football are usually boring bastards I've found.
    As is anyone that goes on and on about a single subject. It's not exclusive to football fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Anyone else not like football? And has that caused you problems ?
    I initially thought I hate it, but eventually I realised that it's not hatred, I just don't give a flying fcuk.

Some may think I am not 100% sane but:

1. I don't fap to the screen looking at number of muscular men kicking/throwing a round item to each other,
    2. I don't cancel all plans I or my OH could have made just because there is a match on the telly,
    3. I don't say "WE won again!!!" like one of those football fans with disturbed identity (THEY couldn't win, as they are miserable, fat and sitting in front of the TV drinking another can), fit enough to see their own mickey in the mirror...

I do things myself and get excited of what I achieve.
    I'm happy.
    My OH is happy.
    Everyone's happy.

So no, no problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

The only time I'll ever watch a football match will be when there is landmines buried on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I find most people who talk non-stop about football are usually uncultured gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Did you see that ludicrous display last naite?
    Post #7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I find most people who talk non-stop about football are usually uncultured gob****es.
    As apposed to talking about cars non-stop?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Football bores are just the same as anyone else with a one track mind. Idiots who have to tell you they saw the latest Mongolian claptrap with french subtitles down the IFI are as boring as the people who tell you who captained Scunthorpe when they hammered Leeds back in '71.
    If you like the game, watch it. If not, read a book or talk to a girl. Preferably shag their girl. They won't notice - he shoots...you score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

OP should have just written:

"I don't like football.....whinge whinge whinge.........let's all have a big football bashing time together and no-one better dare say this is a stupid thread"

If you don't like it don't watch it, if your friends don't like you because you don't play it maybe get better/like-minded ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

El Weirdo wrote: »
    As is anyone that goes on and on about a single subject. It's not exclusive to football fans.
    No its not exclusive to football fans but I've encountered this with them more than any other group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I've always thought that the GAA and soccer have had a detrimental affect on sport in this Country, i.e. lads playing it because there fathers want them to Instead of a sport they might like. I managed to avoid it by going rowing (training twice a day, 6 days a week! :mad:) but I still got the "You obviously dont like sports if ya didnt see the game last night" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm a culchie and the only sport i do is taekwon do

Thats not really a sport and if it is then its a fairly ****e sport.

Is Darts a sport???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know how you feel OP. I don't follow tennis and every summer I'm left to fend for myself in the lonely world of sitting silently while a conversation happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    I've always thought that the GAA and soccer have had a detrimental affect on sport in this Country, i.e. lads playing it because there fathers want them to Instead of a sport they might like. I managed to avoid it by going rowing (training twice a day, 6 days a week! :mad:) but I still got the "You obviously dont like sports if ya didnt see the game last night" :rolleyes:

load of **** imo, think very few people would play if they didn't actually enjoy it. And it keeps them fit.
    Seriously, where's the bloody problem

I'll say it again, if people just minded their own beeswax the world would be a better place

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I know exactly what youre saying op, its a soap opera for blokes, some ppl take it to pathetic levels.
    But I love seeing things done well, movies, music, literature, cooking, architecture etc and when I see great and sublime things happening on a football , rugby, gaa pitch or whatever it gives me the same buzz...the wow factor of sport. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Thats not really a sport and if it is then its a fairly ****e sport.

Is Darts a sport???

darts not really

martial arts definatly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is Darts a sport???

Haha.

How much training, i.e. weights, circuits, running, intervals, etc., do they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Like football but don't like football supporters. Beyond their herd mentality they are for the large part biased know-nothings on the subject. I could happily rewatch Barca v Inter 2010 or Greece v Portugal 2004 in order to study how the weaker team won, but they'd turn their nose up at it because preparation defeated skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

I love playing sports but couldn't give two shiney ****es about the premiership! I hate watching it, hate hearing people go on about it and I hate people trying to talk to me about 'the game at the weekend'. It's never been a problem for me though. Usually just crack up a conversation about something else and if that fails and an awkward silence ensues I'll fall back on soccer but just lead with; "So what dya make of Trapatonni".. I find football fans just love chatting about Trapatonni!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Not in After Hours please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement