Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not giving a sh1t about football

Options
  • 06-11-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I don't give a sh1t about football, never have, never will, don't really care about what happened in Italia 90, don't refer to an English football team as 'we', and don't care about GAA either.

Unfortunately, my apathy has cost me a good few childhood friends (neighbours) since they all seemed to only talk about it/play it (they also had serious soccer mums). I wasn't, and when I made friends with people who could talk about other sports/music, I stopped hanging around with the football fans.

Not caring about football also makes me a pariah for small talk with older people/culchies.

Anyone else not like football? And has that caused you problems ?

(Oh yeah, and 'If you don't care about football, why did you start a thread?' type comments are annoying and don't benefit anyone. )

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

On your own On your own On your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

weirdo :p

Couldn't give a crap myself.. Nothing worse than being confronted with the standard chit chat and having to just cut them down and say you know nothing about it. Even my students here try and talk to me about the Premier League and I couldn't care less.

Fantasy Football on the other hand is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I hate the ****, you go to the pub and they talk about this as if its important or worse theres a game on and your only allowed talk if its about the game.
    I loved playing as a kid and remember liking it at Italia 90 but its just not important so i cant stand it.
    I too hate this "we" business for some county in england bollox too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Just "come out" OP and have it done with :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Why do some people who don't like football make such a big deal about it?

I don't watch football either, I watch rugby, but I don't make threads about all the things I don't like. There's loads of things people aren't interested in, but for some reason people who don't like sport seem to think that's so important. If you don't like something, who cares? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I used to be really into football from the ages of 9-14 but grew out of it an on to more cerebral things like music an books. Each to their own an all that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If you don't care about football, why did you start a thread?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Don't ask me, I'm just a girl.

*giggles*

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I hate the ****, you go to the pub and they talk about this as if its important or worse theres a game on and your only allowed talk if its about the game.
    I loved playing as a kid and remember liking it at Italia 90 but its just not important so i cant stand it.
    I too hate this "we" business for some county in england bollox too.

Playing it is alright, it's a straightforward game.

But the whole 'we' mentality is retarded if: you're supporting a team in a country you're not from and none of the players/owner are from the place.

I was at a funeral in Roscommon once and some old fella (with the best intentions) starts the small talk with "What team do you play for?". I was only 13, but couldn't understand why he'd ask me that before asking me if I liked football or played for a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

your wrong about the culchies
    I'm a culchie and the only sport i do is taekwon do

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't "not like" soccer, I'm just not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭A_Danger

that F**kin prick Thierry Henry..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I love football. It helps when your team is the reigning champs.

Go Packers! :pac:

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Why do some people who don't like football make such a big deal about it?

I don't watch football either, I watch rugby, but I don't make threads about all the things I don't like. There's loads of things people aren't interested in, but for some reason people who don't like sport seem to think that's so important. If you don't like something, who cares? :confused:

Read the VERY last line of the OP. And I'm not forming a lynch mob against football fans. I'm saying that people who don't like football (growing up) can't find common ground with a majority that obsess over it (ie. Other kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Anyone else not like football? Yes

And has that caused you problems ? No

"Here we go, here we go, here we goooooooooooooooooooooooo"

"You fat bastard, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies."

:pac:

i used to watch as a kid and i stopped fully i recently got into the league of ireland on a small scale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,
    he shoots from 40 yards,
    he kisses the badge on his chest,
    he hands in a transfer request,
    Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I love football. It helps when your team is the reigning champs.

Go Packers! :pac:

I'm from Sligo and the Rovers just won some match, it inspired this thread :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Not a sport for me. Can't stand the number of people each week asking me if I watched the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

What was Wenger thinking sending Walcott on so early?

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    I'm from Sligo and the Rovers just won some match, it inspired this thread :D.

i was happy out when rovers won mon the culchies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I used to be really into football from the ages of 9-14 but grew out of it an on to more cerebral things like music an books. Each to their own an all that

You can't like sports and music an[sic] books at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The humiliating memory of being picked last for football in PE (and the teacher having to force a team to accept you ) should have abated somewhat by now in fairness.

RichieC wrote: »
    You can't like sports and music an[sic] books at the same time?

If you don't like football and listen to music with guitars in it, you're a weird gothic f*ggot.... that was the impression I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I don't follow football either and it does make for interesting non-conversations in the canteen! But the lads i work with are cool with it and joke about it. Sometimes i chip in with some results if i hear them on the car radio. Always good for a laugh as they know i couldn't give a toss either way! They can talk about other things too, which is more than some lads. Jaysus, you'd get nothing out of some them if it didn't have the words "premiership" and "league" in it!!

And the "we" thing gets me. Some lads even need to be given a wide berth after "they" lose the night before. Genuinely upset about it too!:pac:

It wouldn't mind only some lads say "jaysus you're always on about that sh1t" when i talk about some space shuttle stuff or planes or something. And then they go back to rabbitting on about football????:confused:

I think it's best to stay away from those types as much as possible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I dont really like football but its sometimes a good craic to play it with friends. Also I like it during the world cup. Every other soccer event is boring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement