Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Haras beer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, they make the M&S Irish stout too.

As far as I know both O'Shea's and M&S are just rebranded O'Hara's original stout, which is, in itself, a pretty good beer.

Having tasted O'Sheas and O'Haras red ales and stouts a good few times I think they're quite different, O'Hara's was the superior in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I stocked up on the Pale ale having tried it last week and finding it to be the best Irish Bottled Beer I've ever tasted. Threw in two bottles of Leann Follain to try it. I wish I'd bought a Dozen and will probably head out later to get some more. Thanks for the heads up guys that is one amazing brew. More than a few would see me on my arse in fairness, but they are seriously tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I too have discovered the delights of the Pale Ale, a quick question, what is the recommended temperature to drink it at? I had it from the fridge (well cold) but it ocurred to me this might not be the best, I was thinking of leaving it in the shed , so it would be below inside room temp but not very cold.
    Thanks...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, I'd go for about the 10C mark, which is a couple of degrees below the CAMRA-recommended serving temperature for ale. It's always better to serve a beer too cold than too warm.

From room temperature, 15 minutes in the freezer should bring any beer down to serving temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leomcp

Would agree with everyone's comments on O'Haras IPA. If you are looking for another pale ale, try Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It is 12euro for 6 bottles in Superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Another O'Hara's IPA fan here,loving the stuff.Forced myself to try something different though and have a bottle of Leann Follain to try later - really looking forward to it based on what I've read here.Tesco are selling 500ml bottles of the O'Hara's range well below the €2 mark at the moment which is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Another O'Hara's IPA fan here,loving the stuff.Forced myself to try something different though and have a bottle of Leann Follain to try later - really looking forward to it based on what I've read here.Tesco are selling 500ml bottles of the O'Hara's range well below the €2 mark at the moment which is great value.

I wouldn't say €1.99 is well below €2 mark :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CiniO wrote: »
    I wouldn't say €1.99 is well below €2 mark :D

Would you say €1.95 is?
    Which is the price in my local Tesco:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

1.95 in tesco's and 2.69 in O'Briens :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

hatful wrote: »
    1.95 in tesco's and 2.69 in O'Briens :eek:

I know we are in the Great Depression mk2 but I still would pay the extra 74c a bottle for a bit of customer service and out of general dislike of Tesco. That being said this weeks supply of Leann Follain came from Tesco due to O'Briens being sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I know we are in the Great Depression mk2 but I still would pay the extra 74c a bottle for a bit of customer service and out of general dislike of Tesco. That being said this weeks supply of Leann Follain came from Tesco due to O'Briens being sold out.

Also, 1.95 is a sale price. When that's over it will no doubt go back to €2.89 or whatever it was beforehand . The 4 for €10 deal most indepentants do will rule again!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd go for about the 10C mark, which is a couple of degrees below the CAMRA-recommended serving temperature for ale. It's always better to serve a beer too cold than too warm.

From room temperature, 15 minutes in the freezer should bring any beer down to serving temperature.

It was exactly 10C on the car thermometer when I arrived home last night, so I put a bottle out on the decking for about an hour :D, had it with my dinner - outstanding! gotta say some difference in terms of taste as opposed to out of the fridge. All my bottles are currently in the Shed in prep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

What type of glass would the good bws folk recommend for these fine beers?
    My dog smashed my trusty guinness half glass that I had for my large bottles so I'm on the lookout for a replacement.
    O haras stout all the way :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Any standard pint glass would do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i prefer to drink from a smaller glass myself, like to keep pouring rather than let it settle.
    will ask my publican for another guinness half i suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

subway wrote: »
    i prefer to drink from a smaller glass myself, like to keep pouring rather than let it settle.
    will ask my publican for another guinness half i suppose :)

Dunnes sell 4 tulip 1/2 pint glasses for 2 euro, addition of a Guinness logo unlikely to make stuff taste any better. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭redlead

I always prefer a tall half pint glass so I can keep topping it up and always have the desired head. I have a carlsberg one from the 70's and a Waterford Crystal one which I am afraid to use.

Advertisement