Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Haras beer

Options
  • 05-11-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought some in tesco as there was a bit selection.

Bottle label says: o'haras Irish Pale Ale dry hopped.
    5.2% alc.vol. brewed in Ireland.

I've never seen it before.

On the back it says Carlow brewing company, Bagenalstown.

Is it some kind of small brewery, or maybe something new?

Beer actually is kinda bitter, but I love that kind of taste, so I'm very happy with it.
    €1.95 in tesco for 0.5l bottle.

I bought as well O'Haras Full bodied Irish extra stout, 6% vol. but i'll keep it for tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

One of the foremost and most successful Irish "micro-breweries."

Bought 6 Irish Pale Ales myself - €1.95 is great value for anything from Carlow Brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

i had their red ale, found it far to fizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The Irish Pale Ale has been around for a year or so... excellent beer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seriously, just buy the Leann Follain.

It is, for my money, the best think produced on this island, by a fair distance too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Seaneh wrote: »

It is, for my money, the best think produced on this island, by a fair distance too!

I couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Leann Folainn is great, but Troubles Dark Arts is better. Coming soon in bottles mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

sometimes i make a black & tan with there ale and leann follain.

pour the ale first into a glass then top up with the stout.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A delicious beer altogether.

A delicious beer altogether.

It's just got so much going for it, incredible nose followed by that amazing mouth feel and the flavours are absolutely out of this world, the lads in Carlow really made something special there. I forget how fecking high gravity it is at times though, not an all night beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

CiaranC wrote: »
    Leann Folainn is great, but Troubles Dark Arts is better. Coming soon in bottles mmmm

When? When? How soon? Tellllllllmeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

While i generally agree, their Good's store IPA on cask was one of the best beer i have tasted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Picked up a few for the match on Friday since they are going cheap in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Much as I might like my favourite bottled beer to be from one of the little micro breweries, I think Lean Folláin and OH's IPA are the best Irish bottled beers available at the moment. (Well, Shandon Century Stout gives LF a good run for it's money - and probably wins but that's a one-off bottling.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

just drinking both of the above. quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Does Tesco's stock Leann Folainn? I didn't spot it the last time I was there. O'Neills on Suffolk street had it the last time I was in there. I spotted it down in the fridge and had to point it out to the barman when I ordered a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Does Tesco's stock Leann Folainn? I didn't spot it the last time I was there.
    My local Tesco (which is rubbish) stocks it anyway.
    O'Neills on Suffolk street had it the last time I was in there. I spotted it down in the fridge and had to point it out to the barman when I ordered a bottle.

Ah the classic
    Barman/woman: "we don't have that"
    Customer "Yes you do, it's behind you"

I've been through that so many times!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ah the classic
    Barman/woman: "we don't have that"
    Customer "Yes you do, it's behind you"
    Followed by the legendary takes-bottle-out-and-stares-at-it-like-it's-full-of-writhing-spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just having a Leann Folainn with a toasted ham and cheese sandwich.
    Yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

the oharas ipa is my current fav beer available in btls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Just had one of the Leann Folainn's I picked up in Tescos, Good stuff. There's eating and drinking in it, as "they" used to say. Have to say their IPA is good but can't beat Goose Island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Anyone has any idea where could I buy this in Mayo?
    I never seen it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Tesco is where I always stock up on my O'Haras. Always find its cheapest there. I presume some of the Tescos in Mayo must stock them.
    From memory Tesco Castlebar is a big store so Id say they probally have some. Only a guess mind.

Failing that, DrinkStore and TheBeerClub both deliver nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Glebee wrote: »
    Tesco is where I always stock up on my O'Haras. Always find its cheapest there. I presume some of the Tescos in Mayo must stock them.
    From memory Tesco Castlebar is a big store so Id say they probally have some. Only a guess mind.

All right. I got confused.

I thought Leann Follain was something else.

I didn't realise it was actually O'Haras.
    And even more what I didn't realise, it was the one I already bought and drank the next day, as described in first post.
    O'Haras Full bodied Irish extra stout is Leann Follain.

I must say it was good, but it had a bit of chocolate taste, which I didn't really like.
    Definitely way stronger in taste than Guinness, which is already bit too strong for me (not alcohol-wise, but taste-wise).

Irish pale ale was really great thought.

And obviously my question is answered now, as Tesco in Westport has them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just a word about availability of Leann Follain in Tesco's. It(and other O'Hara's) seems to be only stocked in the larger Tesco stores. I tried the local express ones(Ringsend, Sandymount and Baggot st) and they don't have it but they do have other ales and stouts on sale including English ales and 'Old Sheep Ale' whatever that is :). However Merrion have a whole shelf dedicated to O'Hara's so happy days there.

The drink itself which I only discovered from the posters here does have a choc feel to it but it is a like light choc taste. Reminds me of a lighter Porterhouse Choc Stout but light in choc content but stronger in that 6% volume! And yes it is indeed a nice brew at 1.95 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Is O'Hara's the same as O'Shea's from Aldi? I think it's made by the same brewer in Carlow, nice enough beer.......

Is O'Hara's the same as O'Shea's from Aldi? I think it's made by the same brewer in Carlow, nice enough beer.......

Yeah, they make the M&S Irish stout too.

As far as I know both O'Shea's and M&S are just rebranded O'Hara's original stout, which is, in itself, a pretty good beer.

As far as I know both O'Shea's and M&S are just rebranded O'Hara's original stout
    Couldn't be. The ABVs are different, for one thing.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Couldn't be. The ABVs are different, for one thing.

I bow to your knowledge!

• Advertisement

They are the same as their old Easter stout maybe?

Advertisement