Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for drinkers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I totally agree with you there man. I'd much rather have 7-8 pints on a saturday night

see thats the thing, 7-8 pints is a ridiculously large amount, despite it being seen as very little in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Helix wrote: »
    see thats the thing, 7-8 pints is a ridiculously large amount, despite it being seen as very little in ireland

See thats a matter of opinion because after 7-8 pints im tipsy/merry and not falling all over the place. But to some people thats too much to handle and to other people it may seem like nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

it's pathetic and its very, very annoying

unfortunately, for the most part, it seems like irish people don't actually understand that you can have a good time without being absolutely retarded drunk

Wierd... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boards.ie&defid=3327029
    Boards.ie

An Irish internet message board that has more forums than topics, averaging about 2 topics per 5 forums. Being an Irish website, the main discussion is drinking, with 307 forums dedicated to this subject. Many drinking sessions are organised on a daily basis, making the general population of boards.ie drunk 46% of the time.
    A typical boards.ie thread will consist of someone suggesting pints, 30 people are up for it, 12 argue about the venue, 17 people demanding a pissup be organised in their county, 2 people making it clear that they don't drink, and 82 people saying they won'd be able to make it as they're too hungover from last night's pissup.

:eek:

7-8 pints is 14-16 units, well within the guidline of 21 advised by drinkaware : http://drinkaware.ie/index.php?sid=6&pid=116

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

7-8 pints is 14-16 units, well within the guidline of 21 advised by drinkaware : http://drinkaware.ie/index.php?sid=6&pid=116

That's 21 per week. Consuming more than six units of alcohol is considered binge drinking.

And to answer the OP's question, I think it's ridiculous to base one's relationship choices on the other person's drinking habits. It really isn't normal for drinking to play that big a part in your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

There's no point in getting into the semantics regarding unit intake and what is classified as "binge" drinking. Some people can easily and happily drink up to 7-8 pints on a night out and that's their personal choice, I don't think one night of pints in a week makes someone a "binger". Likewise someone can go out and drink half that and end up puking in your handbag. At the end of the day it's all down to the individual. Personally I think someone recognising their limit as 7-8 drinks and knowing if they go over that things could get messy, is actually a more mature approach.

Anyway, back OT, I'd have no problem going out with someone who doesn't drink, as long as they don't judge me for enjoying my few at the weekend or a couple of glasses of wine after a long day in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd be cool with it, as long as my own drinking habits wouldn't be criticised or curtailed in any fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jacksprat

I wouldn't go out with the non-drinker unless they judged me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Godot. wrote: »
    Would you date someone that doesn't drink alcohol and wouldn't judge you on how much you drink, or would you not because you'd worry too much about whether the person is having a good time on a night out?

what a stupid question, there nothing wrong with NOT drinking.

people who drink themselves into oblivion are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

it's pathetic and its very, very annoying

unfortunately, for the most part, it seems like irish people don't actually understand that you can have a good time without being absolutely retarded drunk

No, we understand you can have a good time without drink, but we also understand drink makes everything more awesome, like kebabs and driving, they are way better after loads of drink.

Also, stop being so judgmental, you live in Toronto, they tore a city apart because they lost a fcuking hockey match, that's much more problematic than drinking.

what a stupid question, there nothing wrong with NOT drinking.

people who drink themselves into oblivion are idiots.

Hemingway, what a retard, Bukowski, complete twat, Hunter S. Thompson, ****ing loser.

I'm just saying, Hitler was a tee-total vegetarian, Churchill was a red-meat eating whiskey swilling souse. Game, set and match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My boyfriend can't drink for medical reasons, isn't a bother to me at at all! He has no problem with me drinking whatsoever, if its a bottle of wine on a night in or me getting plastered on a night out! No judgement at all.

And he still comes out and has a fun time too, he's not one of these people who "needs" to drink when they go out. I'm not either, am often pretty happy out sober too.

And its nice to always have a sober driver :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm kinda with someone who doesn't drink.

We still go out to nightclubs and bars, and he doesn't mind it when I drink too much, even takes care of me later on that night with some panadol and water before I go to bed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dont mind and I dont mind people who smoke dope or cigars but I hate smokers. They hould be BANNED from the country FILTHY, DISGUSTING ANIMALS.

I would not shag a smoker and Im a man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i take a drink myself everyone elses drink.....and no i wouldent go out with a women that dident drink

See thats a matter of opinion because after 7-8 pints im tipsy/merry and not falling all over the place. But to some people thats too much to handle and to other people it may seem like nothing at all

you can only handle that much because you have a high tolerance, which is due to how much you drink. sure i used to have no problem having 15-20 drinks on a night out in ireland, now im locked after 4

thats supposed to be over a week, not over 6 hours

Also, stop being so judgmental, you live in Toronto, they tore a city apart because they lost a fcuking hockey match, that's much more problematic than drinking.

no, that was vancouver

which is about 4,400km away from toronto

you can only handle that much because you have a high tolerance, which is due to how much you drink. sure i used to have no problem having 15-20 drinks on a night out in ireland, now im locked after 4

Tolerance doesn't fall that low unless you are seriously ill or on medication.

Those numbers were plucked out of thin air. Even the scientists who came up with them even admitted that.

Tolerance doesn't fall that low unless you are seriously ill or on medication.

it certainly does. id regularly go have 10+ drinks twice a week in ireland. moved over here in august 2009, and went the guts of a year without drinking at all. since then, ill be half cut on 2 and drunk on 4. im in good health and on no medication at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

I don't think people are honestly aware of the damage alcohol does to the body.
    it's a toxin.
    some people seem to think it's a gift from the Gods with no negative consequences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kinda strange that the people who won't go out with a non-drinker cos they don't want to be judged or under suspicion. isn't that just judging the non drinker straight away?
    seriously, some people need to grow up.

horsemeat wrote: »
    I don't think people are honestly aware of the damage alcohol does to the body.
    it's a toxin.
    some people seem to think it's a gift from the Gods with no negative consequences

Most of us are quite aware, but me, I simply couldn't give a sh1t. I like it, I'll keep using it. It's tasty and makes me feel all warm inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

kinda strange that the people who won't go out with a non-drinker cos they don't want to be judged or under suspicion. isn't that just judging the non drinker straight away?
    seriously, some people need to grow up.

Honestly, as a non-drinker, it's this fear of being judged which has caused me a lot of problems. I've lost friends because I don't drink, and I've never judged them, but they always wanted to judge me. For all this talk of non-drinkers judging drinkers, I think you'll find that the majority of judging comes in the other directions. Prime example, the prevelance of the phrase "Dry arse *****"

Honestly, as a non-drinker, it's this fear of being judged which has caused me a lot of problems. I've lost friends because I don't drink, and I've never judged them, but they always wanted to judge me. For all this talk of non-drinkers judging drinkers, I think you'll find that the majority of judging comes in the other directions. Prime example, the prevelance of the phrase "Dry arse *****"

precisely. 7 years living in the uk i never got that, but 2 years back in dublin and i got it pretty regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

On the flip side, I dumped a girl because she couldn't handle her drink, every Sat was just a head wreck, she get locked, start arguments with me, fell all over the place, puked all over the place and it was kind of my 'duty' to get her home safe. An ordeal in itself.

The following Sunday morning when I'd call to her place was just repeats of X Factor an more puking.

G'luck to tht, she was handed her P45.

She always comes over to me on a sat night, locked and annoying me. Just had to man up and be a prick an tell her where to go in the end, felt awful guilty but it wrked.

And if the poster only drinks once a week??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. If he didn't like going out that would be an issue for me though don't get me wrong I like nights in but I do like to head to the pub now and again like. I've friends who are teetotal so I am used to going out with friends who drink and friends who don't drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I went out with someone who didn't drink and it was a real problem. I'm not a raging alco or anything (no more than the average Irish person anyway!:pac:) and it was annoying to feel like you were being judged for drinking. Often I wouldn't drink on nights out purely because I didn't want to listen to the sh1te I'd get off him the next day foe being "wasted.":rolleyes: I felt I was missing out on the fun that everyone else was having. It's not like I even drank that much, it was just irritating to feel like I didn't even have the option of having a drink because he'd get the hump.

Although this could be more about my ex being an ass, than a non-drinker , per sé. I'm actually planning on giving up booze for awhile ( for the sake of my wallet and waistline) and I certainly won't be giving out to my boyfriend for drinking when I'm not.

Acacia wrote: »
    I went out with someone who didn't drink and it was a real problem. I'm not a raging alco or anything (no more than the average Irish person anyway!:pac:) and it was annoying to feel like you were being judged for drinking. Often I wouldn't drink on nights out purely because I didn't want to listen to the sh1te I'd get off him the next day foe being "wasted.":rolleyes: I felt I was missing out on the fun that everyone else was having. It's not like I even drank that much, it was just irritating to feel like I didn't even have the option of having a drink because he'd get the hump.

Although this could be more about my ex being an ass, than a non-drinker , per sé. I'm actually planning on giving up booze for awhile ( for the sake of my wallet and waistline) and I certainly won't be giving out to my boyfriend for drinking when I'm not.

he was a dick. it does work the other way though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

he was a dick. it does work the other way though!

You summed him up pretty well :pac: Yeah, judgemental people of either gender are very annoying!

Advertisement