Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for drinkers

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Would you date someone that doesn't drink alcohol and wouldn't judge you on how much you drink, or would you not because you'd worry too much about whether the person is having a good time on a night out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Honestly don't care if they drink or not.

It's them judging me that I'd have the biggest problem with. I just don't put myself in those situations to get in relationships with people who'd have a problem with something I enjoy doing.

Sort of like going out with a non-smoker who feels they must enlighten you constantly on how bad smoking is and calculate up how much you spend every week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I went out with a girl for nearly two years who didn't drink (well, same as, one bottle of lager lasted her all night, and she didn't even have that most nights!)

Far from looking at me disapprovingly, she usually did her best to get drink into me (and laughed herself silly when I said daft things as a result!), and loaded me into the car and brought me home at the end of the night! :)

Depends on the person tbh ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Far from looking at me disapprovingly, she usually did her best to get drink into me (and laughed herself silly when I said daft things as a result!), and loaded me into the car and brought me home at the end of the night! :)

And you broke up with this wonderful woman?

Shame on you Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nah, couldn't go out with a non-drinker, it's something I thoroughly enjoy and being in the company of non-drinkers when I'm hammered isn't fun for me, I'd just start taking the piss out of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

last weekend i was chatting to a young lady who when she realised i didn't drink started harping on about non-drinkers having something to hide and that it was never going to work between us. all this about 15 minutes after i first started talking to her.
    in the previous 15 minutes she was going on about how her soon to be ex-husband had left her 5 weeks before, left her with a 7 month old baby for a 23 year old, had spent all his time on his computer, how she was determined to get the house off him. i didn't even find out her name.

so yeah, looks like i had problems with not drinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Shame on you Sir.

Sir randylonghorn, has a certain ring to it.:pac:

It's swings and roundabouts really, it depends on how well you know each other really,OP, I wouldn't go out with someone who would sit in judgement of any aspect of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Hot Lips wrote: »
    Sir randylonghorn, has a certain ring to it.

It's swings and roundabouts really, it depends on how well you know each other really,OP, I wouldn't go out with someone who would sit in judgement of any aspect of my life.

What if you regularly killed people for sport and the person had a problem with it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

What if you regularly killed people for sport and the person had a problem with it? :pac:

This thread is not about killing people for sport, please stay on topic.:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Shame on you Sir.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

That's the sorta of thing I hate about this country, why do people make such a big deal about non drinkers? One of the girls at wrk doesn't drink and gets nothing but "Jesus, how do you have a good night without a drink " it's quite sad really.

I do drink myself but I just don't see what the big deal about non drinkers is.

I do take issue with non drinkers who are smug because of their choice not to drink however.

As for Pioneers, they can feck right off, what do ye want, a medal or something!!

'Edit'

To answer the question, yes I would have no problem seeing a non drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah as long as she did drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Yeah definitely. I only started drinking myself a few years ago. All through my teens and early twenties I was straight edge and always enjoyed nights out with my friends in bars and clubs, so I certainly don't have this preconception that people who don't drink are no fun or judgemental. I'm also not one of those people who needs to be babysat when I drink, so I wouldn't feel self conscious around a sober boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Lavezzi

Silly question as it is addressed to both genders. We already know men in this Country are so desperate they'll take anything with a pulse whether she drinks alcohol or not. It should really only be addressed to females..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Lavezzi wrote: »
    Silly question as it is addressed to both genders. We already know men in this Country are so desperate they'll take anything with a pulse whether she drinks alcohol or not. It should really only be addressed to females..

Post 6 says hi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Post 6 says hi

Oh, you got me wrong, I'd have sex with a non-drinker no problem, but I wouldn't go out with or date one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yes.

They couldn't be telling me whether to drink though, my boyfriend and I don't drink that often together its not a problem.
    You can always go out with other friends to drink while in a relationship, if you get along that well not drinking isn't a problem. And if it is then maybe its a clear sign it wouldn't work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

only if they drive, free lift home every night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

only if they drive, free lift home every night :D

Sums it up for me.

Non-drinking motorist other half = I can drink everywhere I go :pac:

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Sums it up for me.

Non-drinking motorist other half = I can drink everywhere I go :pac:

get one on the dole, pay for fuel and youd never have to be sober again

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭ameliadad

I don't think there's any problem with it. My friend had a problem with his now girlfriend at first as she didn't drink, and he drank regularly (and probably too much often). But he got to really like her and now he feels he's had a positive effect on him. He doesn't go overboard with drinking anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Keek wrote: »
    That's the sorta of thing I hate about this country, why do people make such a big deal about non drinkers? One of the girls at wrk doesn't drink and gets nothing but "Jesus, how do you have a good night without a drink " it's quite sad really.

it's pathetic and its very, very annoying

unfortunately, for the most part, it seems like irish people don't actually understand that you can have a good time without being absolutely retarded drunk

Helix wrote: »
    it's pathetic and its very, very annoying

unfortunately, for the most part, it seems like irish people don't actually understand that you can have a good time without being absolutely retarded drunk

in all fairness if everyone else was in the same boat it would be grand, i can have a great night sober / after 1 or 2 if theres a load of other sober people around, but there is nothing worse than being sober around a load of your mates off their face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I wouldnt go out with someone who doesn't drink.

It may sound weird, but I don't trust anyone who won't drink. It's as if they have something to hide and are afraid that if they drink they may let it all out or something.

I dunno why i feel this way about it, but i like to have the craic when im out, including a few brewskies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not sure.

Not matter how much they say they wouldn't judge, it might be be impossible not to. Even if it's only minor, like not wanting to be in a pub with you and other drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tricky one because obviously it's up to the person whether they drink or not but it would only bother me if the non drinker was judging me on my alcohol consumption.
    I would hate to be sitting there feeling like they were watching me and looking down on me for doing something which is completely my choice.
    It would depend on that, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I wouldnt go out with someone who doesn't drink.

It may sound weird, but I don't trust anyone who won't drink. It's as if they have something to hide and are afraid that if they drink they may let it all out or something.

I dunno why i feel this way about it, but i like to have the craic when im out, including a few brewskies.

that's a bizarre outlook on it to be honest there man

i rarely drink because i moved out of ireland and, shock horror, realised that in other countries you don't go out and get shìtfaced every friday and saturday night. booze is respected and people, and society, are much better off because of it

ill still have the odd drink, sure, but nothing like the irish way of doing things, which, as i said in another thread recently, would have pretty much everyone in the country classed as an alcoholic anywhere other than ireland or the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Helix wrote: »
    i rarely drink because i moved out of ireland and, shock horror, realised that in other countries you don't go out and get shìtfaced every friday and saturday night. booze is respected and people, and society, are much better off because of it

I totally agree with you there man. I'd much rather have 7-8 pints on a saturday night, have a laugh, and go home happy rather than add shots/spirits on top of it and be going around like a lunatic, puking all over the place.

But i just wouldnt want to with a girl who is not drinking and thinking im making an ass of myself at times.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A girl would need to be absolutely hammered to even consider going out with me, so no, no I wouldn't. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

go out get drunk leave girlfriend at home
    she does not drink at all
    she gives me any lip from how drunk i am
    back to the kitchen with her !

Advertisement