Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are ye going to heat the water for her?

Should come to our swim session tomorrow Dory, we swim in a fu*king sauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Are ye going to heat the water for her?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear she has sent the hubby over early and stuck the pool heater in the Irish sea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Shades? Is BTH going to be there?

A pub will be required....and if i'm going swimming with you, can you spare a set of goggles....and maybe a heated cap.....and perhaps a beach towel? ;)

RQ, screw the sauna (can't believed i just dissed lovely, steamy hot water) and meet up with us.

Dory Dory wrote: »

A pub will be required....and if i'm going swimming with you, can you spare a set of goggles....and maybe a heated cap.....and perhaps a beach towel? ;)

RQ, screw the sauna (can't believed i just dissed lovely, steamy hot water) and meet up with us.

I'll just about make it to the sauna, with that other thing I have on tomorrow I'd never make it out to Bray. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Pub
    Wetsuit
    Hat(s)
    Goggles
    Beach towel

I thought you packed ? Ill ensure all of the above are available.

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    Pub
    Wetsuit
    Hat(s)
    Goggles
    Beach towel

I thought you packed ? Ill ensure all of the above are available.

Jeez, how do the girls resist you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bring your shades ;)

Unfortunately you'll have no mobile lighthouse tomorrow eve. Tomorrow is Michelles birthday, so no chance of getting away.

Enjoy
    Jeez, how do the girls resist you?

Hahahahaha, thats brilliant! :pac::pac::D

Hahahahaha, thats brilliant! :pac::pac::D

See you at Thursdays session then chief ?

;)

Just passed a sign that said "Clara Lara Fun Park". Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Well, in this case, "fun park" has a pretty innocent meaning, but you never know with our American cousins and their erroneous use of "fanny" etc...:)

Having said that, CL might want to directly clear up any misunderstanding...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's the Irish equivalent of Disney Land :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Would love to make this gathering but alas life is M.E.N.T.A.L :rolleyes:

Hope you are having fun and well done in Achill girl... you rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you guys swimming down in Bray this evening?
    Still stuck in work, but could try and run in that direction and say hello if you're going to be there for a while. Otherwise are there any 'meet-Dory' pints planned?

Are you guys swimming down in Bray this evening?
    Still stuck in work, but could try and run in that direction and say hello if you're going to be there for a while. Otherwise are there any 'meet-Dory' pints planned?

Hey!!! Swim is done! Woo Hoo!!!!! More detais in a bit.....

Heading out of Bray now.....but could turn around.....in Greystones now.

Hey!!! Swim is done! Woo Hoo!!!!! More detais in a bit.....

Heading out of Bray now.....but could turn around.....in Greystones now.

Dory in Ireland. Seeking a wifi hotspot near you ! ;)
    I can confirm, DD did actually swim in the Irish sea.

I can confirm, DD did actually swim in the Irish sea.
    How many wetsuits was Dory Dory wearing though? :)

How many wetsuits was Dory Dory wearing though? :)

Always the funny guy, eh?
    ;)
    Just one Clown, just one. :)

I write this last post before I head back to America while sitting in Dublin Airport waiting for my flight and reflecting on yesterday's dual adventures.......

I had a date with Marthastew for a hike on Great Sugar Loaf at 13:00 - was to meet her there with her kids in tow and lunch provided, compliments of Mrs. Stew. She assured me that finidng the parking lot was quite easy - just look for the arch into the lot just off R755.......but she forgot to mention that the arch into the lot was just off R755 and after you turn left (or right, depending which way you are traveling) at the abandonded petrol station and down the narrow road a bit. After driving up and down R755 a few times, a few wrong turns, and shouting "excuse me, do you know the way to Great Sugar Loaf parking lot?" to several locals, we found our way....and the arches.

I'm not sure what the best part of this hike was, there were so many highlights...including: me and Marthastew squatting side by side relieving ourselves in the nettles just minutes after meeting eachother (chatting the entire time).....or meeting her lovely boys and her lovely friend.....or meeting the surprise boardsie who graced me with her adorable presence....or the homemade Guiness bread/muffins/butter/coffee/Taytos/fruit that Marthastew carted up the mountain for our picnic lunch.....or the gorgeous view from the top.....or the crazy wind....or just chatting with my new friends. It was all pretty amazing.

My second date of the day was with legend and resident rock star, Interested. He had offered me a date in the Irish Sea in a borrowed wet suit, borrowed goggles, borrowed hat, and borrowed towel. With such offerings from such a legend, i would have been absolutely mad to turn him down. **gulp**

I was to meet him at Bray bandstand at 6....or at 5:50.....he was a bit confusing about the time, I think it was part of his strategy to test my worth. I got there early, waited in the car until the shower passed, sent him a quick text, then off to find him looking lost and lonely on the beach all bundled up in his winter coat and hat. Great -even he's cold!! I had slipped my bathing suit on before i left the hotel room so all i needed to do was slip into the wetsuit while on the beach. Interested, on the other hand, was not as prepared as i was. (I'm not one to kiss and tell, but let's just say that he has no problem undressing in public on first dates.)

All geared up......a few instructions from Interested about the cold and breathing and relaxing and the direction of the swim.....and we were off. It was really cold at first, and i'm so glad he had warned me about the rapid breathing i might experience, but i knew he would keep an eye on me and that i was in good hands so no worries from me. I didn't put my head in until several strokes into the swim, but once i did i seemed to relax. It wasn't bad.....actually i rather enjoyed it. Once i got past the cold, though, then i was aware of the wet suit and the slight restrction of stroke. I also noticed how salty the water was.

We didn't swim very long, but it was a blast. Interested is total class. So calming and encouraging and kind - I'm so appreciative that he gave me this opportunity. I will tell one tale on myself -i was chatting away and a bit nervous while getting suited up before the swim, plus i haven't donned a wetsuit in several years, so i'm pulling up the suit and getting the legs just right when Interested looks at me, grins, and very happily notes that i've put the wet suit on backwards. Oops! Oh well. Par for the course.

Well, short but sweet.....and my flight is nearing departure so i best sign off. Best to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Glad you enjoyed the short stay. Safe flight home and feel free to bring the crap weather with you. Lets call it a leaving pressie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

DD, i hope you had a blast but from the sounds of it you did...reckon next year you'll stay for at least a month;)
    Safe travelling....

• Advertisement

Awww... Didn't realize you were heading back so soon. Was going to suggest a run over Bray Head or along the coastal path. Next time, and safe travels.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sorry to have missed you this time. Next time fingers crossed!!

You'll have to actually come into the big smoke next time. None of this staying on the outskirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

me and Marthastew squatting side by side relieving ourselves in the nettles just minutes after meeting eachother (chatting the entire time).....

And we didn't even get stung by those nettles;)
    It was so great to meet you and the adorable Mr DD and you are both welcome to come visit us anytime. Thanks for a great afternoon, which went by way too fast becasue we were all chatting so much and thanks for my lovely gift. I hope you're settling back home well.

And everybody puts a wetsuit on backwards the first time:), well done for braving the Irish Sea

Swim

At the risk of totally shocking the body with too much of a session, I eased into my post-holiday training with a mindless and pretty average 3k that I could do with my eyes closed. Pool temp was 87 degrees, yet I still had chill bumps on my arms as I waded in - go figure.

3,000 yards as follows...
    400 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim
    200 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim

I am still over the moon that I swam in the Irish Sea.....and of course I wish now that I had swam much longer than I did, but swimming in such cold water in a wetsuit isn't as "easy" as it looks on paper. It takes practice and repetition to be at ease with swimming in these conditions, and I tip my hat to those who have mastered this challenge.

Marathon/triathlon training will re-start on Saturday, and it's time to get serious about improving my diet as well. Too much butter and cream and chocolate and bakery visits while in Ireland...time to reacquaint myself with fruits and vegetables again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sounds like you had a fantastic time here DD :) Well done in Achill.
    Pencil me in for a meet up on your next trip!

Jet Lag Swim

The travel fatigue caught up to me this evening making me question whether or not to do my planned swim session, but I decided to cut the swim down to 2k and just swim it.

Once I got going my body felt surprisingly good, but I noticed my breathing/inhaling took more effort than usual. I will write this off to fatigue. I paid close attention to body position in the water and stroke technique.....and was very aware of how the water felt around my body, also noting how different it all feels in a wetsuit.

Tomorrow is a 20 mile LSR.....yikes! Plan calls for MP plus 60 seconds, and I plan on using the entire 60 seconds tomorrow. Holidays are hell on fitness and training.

Ugh! I have woken up this morning with a full-blown cold!! I was afraid of this. The plane trip back was riddled with passengers sputtering and coughing and sniffling, and I cringed then at all the germs that were being strewn about in this very enclosed enviroment that I was held captive in for 8 hours. And this explains the extra effort to breath last night. At work now....bracing myself for a very ugly 20 miler when I get home. Downing drugs and juice as I type......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sorry to hear youve got the sniffles, but hopefully youll shake it off quickly.

• Advertisement

20 Mile LSR

Ugliest run ever.

I believe I set a new record for how long it took to me to complete this run - basically most of the afternoon. :o

The plan called for 20 miles at MP plus 60 seconds, which made my target 9:00 min/mile. My actual average pace for this run ended up being 8:55 min/mile, so what's the fuss, right? The fuss is how hard it was and how much I suffered in the heat and humidity.

Rewind for just a moment - I felt fatigued last night and extra effort was required to breathe while swimming....then I woke up this morning with an annoying cold. I knew this was not going to be my best day to do a 20 mile run, however I had no choice but to face the music in my field after I got off from work.

Without further ado.....here are the highlights, or shall we say lowlights....?

Miles 1 thru 6 - Felt grand. Went a little faster than pace, but I had it under control. I decided to use my very cool lopsided doughnut shaped water bottle that I got in my goodie bag at the Achill half to practice carrying and drinking water on the go. I really got the hang of this and it allowed me to run further without stopping than I could have without it. Ate a packet of Haribro gummies I had leftover from the Achill half.

Miles 7 thru 10 - Started to really notice the heat at this point and began to pour water on my head and arms and legs to keep cool. Was feeling a little low on fuel so I ran inside to grab 3 shot bloks and refill one of my water bottles and enjoy the air conditioning for a few minutes.

Miles 10 thru 13 - Was really beginning to hate this run and was doing all sorts of negotiations with myself to keep going. Thoughts of quitting early floated in and out of my mind, but that's just not me - I would rather suffer through this than quit. I decided then that I would take as many breaks and reduce my pace as much as I needed to get to my 20 mile goal. I figured it was better not to make my target pace than give up on the run. It was also at mile 13 my tummy began to act up - was it the shot bloks? So a loo break was needed at this point.

Miles 14 thru 16 - Probably the hardest both physically and mentally, but I kept counting off the miles that I had remaining and kept telling myself "6 miles is a piece of cake....5 miles I can do in my sleep.....4 miles is only 6 times around the field". Upon completing mile 16 I was suffering from the heat in a bad way. Pouring water on me was no longer working....I would need to take drastic measures - the pool! I tossed off my shoes, socks, Garmin and iPod and dove in that pool with the rest of my running gear still on. Immediate relief was achieved, and just in the nick of time!

Miles 17 thru 19 - At this point it was all about reaching 20 miles. I slowed the pace and did the math, figuring I would finish the run right around the target pace. I kept an eye on the watch, my only goal was to keep the pace above 9:30 min/mile.

Mile 20 - I peeked at the watch as soon as mile 19 was in the books and saw I had a 10:11 to work with on this last mile to reach my target pace. Knowing I was so near the end of this ordeal, I upped it a bit to finish on a high note. As soon as my watch sounded that mile 20 was completed, I stopped without hesitation. The walk back to the house with my cooler was even tough, but it was done.

Temp today was 87 degrees, but with the heat index it was 95. This was the longest run I've ever done in my field, and the longest I've ever done in this kind of heat. I'm red as a beet....and my shoulders are fried.....and I have a bike ride tomorrow with hubby and a friend at 6:30 in the morning. Tonight will be all about rest.

20 miles in 2:58:29 for an average pace of 8:55 min/mile

Splits, in blocks of 5 miles:
    8:41, 8:33, 8:42, 8:39, 8:39
    8:48, 9:00, 9:01, 8:55, 8:49
    8:50, 8:45, 8:53, 9:11, 8:56
    9:09, 9:27, 9:15, 9:15, 8:47

Advertisement