Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Swim

Due to being a slave to the computer to keep updated on a few boardsies' progress in Austria today....and due to cleaning, doing laundry, and talking about packing (but have yet to pack a single thing!), I ran out of time today to do much of a swim set......BUT, I did manage to do my standard go-to mindless set....as follows:

2,000 yards
    400 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim

Fire is still raging and planes and helicopters were continuously dumping water on it while I swam. And it's been a windy day, which doesn't help at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just want to say thanks for all your encouragement over the last few months. Your voice echoed in my head yesterday on that awesome, beautiful swim which I totally enjoyed. You been such a help, wanted you to know. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Just want to say thanks for all your encouragement over the last few months. Your voice echoed in my head yesterday on that awesome, beautiful swim which I totally enjoyed. You been such a help, wanted you to know. :)

**<sniff, sniff>**

Aw, thanks. ;) Would have loved to have shared the day with you in person. You truly are something special.

Awesome, beautiful swim???? :D

Awesome = turquoise, 77 degree, calm water. There is a clip of the swim start on youtube already. Can't link but look and you'll see. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Awesome = turquoise, 77 degree, calm water. There is a clip of the swim start on youtube already. Can't link but look and you'll see. :)

Wow, sounds gorgeous! I did have a little chuckle over the fact that you purchased a brand new, expensive, high powered wet suit just to wear for this event, and you didn't even get to show it off!!! Oh well. Maybe there will have to be a next time...??

Leaving tomorrow....I PMed you my cell number. Let me know if you didn't get it. I have burned some music and would love to hook up - even if that means me going to your hometown and totally embarrassing you by asking every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the street where you, the goddess of the IronMan, live. :D

• Advertisement

I will be in touch once i get home :)

Swim

Quick and dirty swim set.
    3,200 yards....400 each swim, pull, kick, pull, swim ,swim, pull, swim.

Fire still raging and helicopters still dumping water. We need a break in the heat and some rain pronto!

Haven't packed a thing as of yet.....need to get cracking!!!! :eek:

TTFN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

DD have a blast on your Hols and enjoy this beautiful isle of Ireland...don't blame us for the weather, bring your winter Woolies!!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    DD have a blast on your Hols and enjoy this beautiful isle of Ireland...don't blame us for the weather, bring your winter Woolies!!!:D

Gosh, just how cold is it there?? I figured I could wear shorts with warm tops....

Meeting up with Marthastew next Tuesday for a lunchtime hike and picnic - if anyone wants to join in, I guess contact Marthastew since all I know is we are going to Big Sugar Loaf (I think that's right). I'll have my cell with me, so if anyone needs my number, PM me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Gosh, just how cold is it there?? I figured I could wear shorts with warm tops....

Meeting up with Marthastew next Tuesday for a lunchtime hike and picnic - if anyone wants to join in, I guess contact Marthastew since all I know is we are going to Big Sugar Loaf (I think that's right). I'll have my cell with me, so if anyone needs my number, PM me!!

And when are you swimming with interested??

Punch his foot, that'll slow him down. I just couldn't get close enough last night!

• Advertisement

And when are you swimming with interested??

Punch his foot, that'll slow him down. I just couldn't get close enough last night!

I'm waiting to hear from Interested - ball's in his court. I did pack my uber cool tri suit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I'm waiting to hear from Interested - ball's in his court. I did pack my uber cool tri suit.....

eh ?

a) its your holiday missus, unlike El D, I'm bound to work all year round - but after 4.30 each day I'm available for open water swimming should the tides be compliant.

b) your "uber cool tri suit", where do I start with this one ... :D I'm gonna go with 'that should keep you warm' ... ;)

@ BTH - as soon as Dory lets me know Ill let you know. You'd be most welcome to start a swim with me, as usual. Did that hurt ? ;) - Actually, the more the merrier if people are about ... it should** be possible to have a splash either Monday or Tuesday next week in or around Bray (from what I know Dory is staying in North Wicklow) around 6/6.30 ... and a social drink afterwards. Suggestions welcome, but I may choose to ignore them ;) (as usual for those that may know me)

interested wrote: »
    eh ?

a) its your holiday missus, unlike El D, I'm bound to work all year round - but after 4.30 each day I'm available for open water swimming should the tides be compliant.

b) your "uber cool tri suit", where do I start with this one ... :D I'm gonna go with 'that should keep you warm' ... ;)

@ BTH - as soon as Dory lets me know Ill let you know. You'd be most welcome to start a swim with me, as usual. Did that hurt ? ;) - Actually, the more the merrier if people are about ... it should** be possible to have a splash either Monday or Tuesday next week in or around Bray (from what I know Dory is staying in North Wicklow) around 6/6.30 ... and a social drink afterwards. Suggestions welcome, but I may choose to ignore them ;) (as usual for those that may know me)

Well, the tri suit is to wear under the borrowed wet suit.....unless you lads prefer to go in the raw. ;)

Well, the tri suit is to wear under the borrowed wet suit.....unless you lads prefer to go in the raw. ;)

I don't think anyone's ready for that and throwing mental imagery around willy nilly during our lunch time is irresponsible from you.
    I mean even with his wetsuit on, BTH can be seen from space ffs.

<awaiting fluffy related retort>

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Pah ha ha ha ha…. I love the naivety.. ;) Yesterday morning I wore my ski jacket to work as it was freezing and lashing rain at 7am. I opted for the jacket with the good hood as it was too windy to carry an umbrella. I got absolutely drenched on the 20 minutes walk from the bus stop and spent the first 30 minutes of my working day drying out with my runners abandoned on the only working vent I could find in the office. At lunchtime, I went out to run an errand with no coat as the sun was shining. 20 minutes into my round trip, I thought I was going to pass out and be sick from the heat; 40 minutes into my round trip, the heavens opened and a breeze akin to that experienced in the North Pole almost threw me under a bus. Getting caught in work late meant I missed the torrential rainfall that my lucky 5.30pm colleagues had to experience; an hour later and I was able to don my shorts, leave my rain jacket in my backpack, and attract a bit of sun onto my bluey transparent Irish legs, (which of course just turned an interesting shade of purple). It took me one hour and 3 minutes to get home, within which time I got sun burnt, swept away in the wind, drowned in a ‘summer’ shower, and then some…
    Moral of the story…? Pack wellies, hiking boots, flip flops, trainers, shorts, capris, leggings, jeans, a long sleeved top, a vest, a sweater, a rain jacket, a ski jacket, a bikini, a wetsuit, a sun hat, sun block, a hot water bottle, an ice pack, sun glasses and an umbrella, and that should cover you for at least an hour of your trip… And don’t worry about baggage restrictions - if your camera’s not too big, I have no doubt that’ll all fit in your fanny pack! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fantastic description CL and so true:D

claralara wrote: »
    Pah ha ha ha ha…. I love the naivety.. ;) Yesterday morning I wore my ski jacket to work as it was freezing and lashing rain at 7am. I opted for the jacket with the good hood as it was too windy to carry an umbrella. I got absolutely drenched on the 20 minutes walk from the bus stop and spent the first 30 minutes of my working day drying out with my runners abandoned on the only working vent I could find in the office. At lunchtime, I went out to run an errand with no coat as the sun was shining. 20 minutes into my round trip, I thought I was going to pass out and be sick from the heat; 40 minutes into my round trip, the heavens opened and a breeze akin to that experienced in the North Pole almost threw me under a bus. Getting caught in work late meant I missed the torrential rainfall that my lucky 5.30pm colleagues had to experience; an hour later and I was able to don my shorts, leave my rain jacket in my backpack, and attract a bit of sun onto my bluey transparent Irish legs, (which of course just turned an interesting shade of purple). It took me one hour and 3 minutes to get home, within which time I got sun burnt, swept away in the wind, drowned in a ‘summer’ shower, and then some…
    Moral of the story…? Pack wellies, hiking boots, flip flops, trainers, shorts, capris, leggings, jeans, a long sleeved top, a vest, a sweater, a rain jacket, a ski jacket, a bikini, a wetsuit, a sun hat, sun block, a hot water bottle, an ice pack, sun glasses and an umbrella, and that should cover you for at least an hour of your trip… And don’t worry about baggage restrictions - if your camera’s not too big, I have no doubt that’ll all fit in your fanny pack! :rolleyes::D

Quality. So how is work in Bord Failte these days ?

claralara wrote: »

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.....

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Enjoy the trip ! Don't let them scare you - Bray and the Irish Sea is often mistaken for a luxury resort on the Carribean* - you'll be grand :D.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78415757&postcount=179

*insert sinister laugh

Absolutely cracking 15 mile run last weekend by the way - I limped around the same distance several hundred miles north and was dying at then end.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Enjoy the trip ! Don't let them scare you - Bray and the Irish Sea is often mistaken for a luxury resort on the Carribean* - you'll be grand :D.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78415757&postcount=179

*insert sinister laugh

Absolutely cracking 15 mile run last weekend by the way - I limped around the same distance several hundred miles north and was dying at then end.

Oh god....that water looks awful!!! My poor delicate feet may object to that!

I was definitley dying at the end of that run....and the only reason I made it was those stops every 2 miles for water - both in me and on me!! This weekend's half marathon in Achill should be much different.

Just about packed. Almost time.....

• Advertisement

Dory is in the house. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Dory is in the house. :D

Ah that explains why it's sunny - thanks for bringing it with you. Have fun on the holliers

Good god do you know what it's like to not have internet??? I won't even bore you with the details of what I've gone through to have access right at this minute, but suffice it to say that I feel quite lucky to have running water and flushing toilets here on Achill. Don't get me wrong, i absolutely lovelovelove Achill, but basic modern technology is not high on their list of necessities.

Any way....holiday has been amazing thus far....and the absolute best part of it has been the people. I haven't done much training, but i have been on a few hikes and did a 13 miler yesterday in the form of the Achilll Half Marathon.....which brings me to my very short race report....

Achill Half Marathon Training Run

That's right, we're calling this a training run because that is pretty much what it was. I never targeted this run as anything but something fun to do, and because this course is godawful hilly (why do I only do hilly courses when I don't even properly train for hilly courses???) I knew any chance of a PB was out the window when I signed up for it months ago. Therefore, my goal was to beat my time from last year.

Race morning was pretty uneventul other than when i set off the fire alarm by accident at 8:15 due to the steam from my scalding hot and very lengthy shower in a bathroom with no working vent. Oops! And the race was pushed back 30 minutes out of respect for an islander who had passed a few days prior. But, the start of the race was as smooth as it was slow, however the mood was lively and the wind was fierce (crazy fierce actually) which added even more reason to treat this as a training run.

The run was grand. We had the wind pushing us back for the first several miles while we climbed a long drag,....then a left hand turn had us coasting down hill for a bit. It was about here that I was following a very hairy gentleman wearing very short shorts whose left cheek kept us all in suspense. After i passed by him, I hooked up with a nice fella for a while and we chatted a bit. Couldn't understand a word he said, but he was lovely.

The hills were making themselves known at around miles 7 and 8, with the worst ones starting at mile 9. I kept it relaxed and shortened my step. I was getting passed by a few here, but i was also passing some who were suffering at this stage. There were pockets of locals out cheering us on and telling us "you're nearly there" (which we weren't) and loads of kids wanting to high-five us as we ran by, so I made it a point to high-five all of them. After we topped the last hill we could see Keel, the start//finish, so we were only about a mile and a half from done. I upped it just a bit...grabbed an orange slice....and headed for home.

I met my goal and bettered my time from last year by 5 minutes, so i am pleased with that. I don't have my official time or placing, but my Garmin indicated i came in around 1:50 for 13.2 miles for an average pace of 8:21 min/mile. The race shirt is the best I've ever gotten -a gorgeous pink (the lads got blue) with a zipper pocket which i think is brilliant! Great race (if you like a tough course with wind and hills) with a super atmosphere.

Well.....off for now. Cheers to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done you! 5 minutes is a great chunk and it sounds like you really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to more climbing on Tuesday?
    I'll text you tomorrow and you better start the sunshine dance now..... No Views but mist from the Sugar Loaf on a day like today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The hills were making themselves known

When you could have just been American and said "the hills were hilly". Welcome to Ireland, talking like a native already. Sorry I'm missing seeing you (for the second time this year!) but I'm planning a swim route around the "Baignade Interdee" I'lle D'Offard in Saumur, in your honour.

Try and introduce yerself to a few of those Wicklow hills if you can.

I am SO looking forward to Tuesday, sun or no sunshine....but I'll do a lil' sunshiney jiggy thingy in hopes that we'll be coordinating our evening apparel with our sunkissed cheeks!

And Mr. Godel....I will definitely return the favor and do something in Wicklow in your honor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Well done on your run - was in Keel for the start of the race and the wind was mad even by Achill standards ! Reckoned it would be against ye for at least the first half which would have been very zapping heading into the hills. Internet access in Crumpaun IT centre if you are there during the week. Well done again !

Good god do you know what it's like to not have internet??? I won't even bore you with the details of what I've gone through to have access right at this minute, but suffice it to say that I feel quite lucky to have running water and flushing toilets here on Achill. Don't get me wrong, i absolutely lovelovelove Achill, but basic modern technology is not high on their list of necessities.

Any way....holiday has been amazing thus far....and the absolute best part of it has been the people. I haven't done much training, but i have been on a few hikes and did a 13 miler yesterday in the form of the Achilll Half Marathon.....which brings me to my very short race report....

Achill Half Marathon Training Run

That's right, we're calling this a training run because that is pretty much what it was. I never targeted this run as anything but something fun to do, and because this course is godawful hilly (why do I only do hilly courses when I don't even properly train for hilly courses???) I knew any chance of a PB was out the window when I signed up for it months ago. Therefore, my goal was to beat my time from last year.

Race morning was pretty uneventul other than when i set off the fire alarm by accident at 8:15 due to the steam from my scalding hot and very lengthy shower in a bathroom with no working vent. Oops! And the race was pushed back 30 minutes out of respect for an islander who had passed a few days prior. But, the start of the race was as smooth as it was slow, however the mood was lively and the wind was fierce (crazy fierce actually) which added even more reason to treat this as a training run.

The run was grand. We had the wind pushing us back for the first several miles while we climbed a long drag,....then a left hand turn had us coasting down hill for a bit. It was about here that I was following a very hairy gentleman wearing very short shorts whose left cheek kept us all in suspense. After i passed by him, I hooked up with a nice fella for a while and we chatted a bit. Couldn't understand a word he said, but he was lovely.

The hills were making themselves known at around miles 7 and 8, with the worst ones starting at mile 9. I kept it relaxed and shortened my step. I was getting passed by a few here, but i was also passing some who were suffering at this stage. There were pockets of locals out cheering us on and telling us "you're nearly there" (which we weren't) and loads of kids wanting to high-five us as we ran by, so I made it a point to high-five all of them. After we topped the last hill we could see Keel, the start//finish, so we were only about a mile and a half from done. I upped it just a bit...grabbed an orange slice....and headed for home.

I met my goal and bettered my time from last year by 5 minutes, so i am pleased with that. I don't have my official time or placing, but my Garmin indicated i came in around 1:50 for 13.2 miles for an average pace of 8:21 min/mile. The race shirt is the best I've ever gotten -a gorgeous pink (the lads got blue) with a zipper pocket which i think is brilliant! Great race (if you like a tough course with wind and hills) with a super atmosphere.

Well.....off for now. Cheers to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

It was about here that I was following a very hairy gentleman wearing very short shorts whose left cheek kept us all in suspense.

You're in for a surprise on Tuesday evening so..... :D:D

Well done on the 5min improvement and enjoy the rest of your stay.

You're in for a surprise on Tuesday evening so..... :D:D

Well done on the 5min improvement and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Surprise? I love surprises.....but shall i bring my shears?? ;)

• Advertisement

Bring your shades ;)

Right so, lets kick this off (now that you're back on D'internet) - opening gambit is as follows

Tuesday evening, 6pm for a splash, @ Bray bandstand
    or 6.30 in / outside Martello pub/restaurant opposite bandstand.

when I say 6, that're more like 5.50 with me, since Ill be swimming for 30 mins ;) but Ill wait on you Dory, at least until we're in the water to verify you got in.

Advertisement