Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thursday, December 1st, 2016

Bike-run

Duration: 01:45:00
    Description:
    15 mins warm up

Cadence set -
    3 x [easy gear, start cadence at 75 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until your reach 120 rpms (5 mins) + 1 min rest]

Standing big gear set -
    3 x [5 mins standing biggest gear possible- surging the final 10 secs of each min + 2 mins easy]

Cadence set -
    3 x [easy gear, start cadence at 75 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until your reach 120 rpms (5 mins) + 1 min rest]

Standing big gear set -
    3 x [5 mins standing biggest gear possible- surging the final 10 secs of each min + 2 mins easy]

12 mins cool down

Okay...I knew I had a big night of training tonight so I ate one of my energy bars about an hour before I hopped on the Black Cat, but that was all that was on the menu for the 2.5 hours of training I was to do. I did, however, have some funky sports drink that was kind of yucky but kind of not. ??? A friend gave me two bottles, and by golly I'm going to drink them both!

So...the session went okay. I'm not the swiftest on the cadence sets - I struggle with keeping up the high cadence for more than a few seconds before it drops, but give me the big gear work any day of the week and you've got a happy Dory. :) I typically pretend I'm climbing one of the epic mountains in the Tour de France when I do my standing big gear work....I envision I'm quietly suffering with my commrades while I'm making my way up the brutal ascent with a steady, relaxed, yet strong rhythm. I love this sh*t. If only I didn't have to go back down the mountain!! :eek: ;) My data for tonight was pretty good - yay - and not that far off what I did last May (May 18th, to be exact!) when I was at my strongest. And....it's only December. Okay Dory, now just keep training smart. !!!

I hopped off the bike and into the pool after a brief T2. This was to be 45 minutes of tub trotting, and for the first 15 minutes life was grand at a wave pace of 2:07....but then the bottom was trying to fall out on me after that. Ugh. I had shut the garage doors after I hopped off the bike and I think I was getting woozy from the "heat". (Okay, so I keep the endless pool at a comfy temp of 86 degrees Fahrenheit. :o) I was also getting hungry. I dunked myself under the water a few times to cool myself, and I was able to make it thru the next 15 minutes without slowing the wave pace, but I gave into the stress with the last 15 minutes to go and slowed the wave to 2:16 to get me home in one piece. This was a tough little session for me!!!

Actual bike-run: 1 hour and 45 minutes in France on the Black Cat followed by 45 minutes in a steam bath trying to run

Friday, December 2nd, 2016

Swim-run

In the fish tank, of course....
    10 min warm up
    8 x (4 min buoy/band cruise, 30 sec rest)
    5 min easy kick
    5 min cool down

For anyone following my log, it's very obvious I am not focussing on the swim at this moment. It was decided back in October that my main focus thru the end of the year would be on the bike. So, this was my weekly swim set, and it went fine. I did the first 4 x 4 min buoy/band intervals at a wave pace of 1:30, then upped it to 1:27 for the final 4. The toughest segment was the kick. :eek: I swear an endless pool is murder to kick in. Constant. No breaks. Gah. I did this at a slow poke pace of 2:16 :o, and even that was tough. !!!!

The transition to run was super spiffy :D and consisted of popping off the goggles and swim cap and turning on the aqua treadmill. Easy peasy!!! I did 30 minutes all at a wave pace of 2:07, and it went fine. Started to feel a bit woozy (again) halfway thru - garage doors were down, so I may need to start keeping them open when on the wet, wild and steamy run!

Actual swim-run: 50ish minutes splashing followed by 30 minutes dashing in the fish tank

Saturday, December 3rd, 2016

Bike-run

This is a repeat of last Saturday's work:

TRAINER
    30 min warmup, include 5 min of single leg drills

Pyramid
    5 min BG 60-65 + 5 min high cadence above 90 rpm
    10 min BG 60-65 + 10 min high cadence above 90 rpm
    15 min BG 60-65 + 15 min high cadence above 90 rpm
    10 min BG 60 - 65 + 10 min high cadence above 90 rpm
    5 min BG 60-65 + 5 min high cadence above 90 rpm

BG should be low heart rate and high cadence should be easy gear. No need to go crazy here.

15 min warm down

So....confession time. :o I never had a proper window yesterday to get this bike-run done, so I made the decision to do this early in the day today (Sunday) and push today's work to later in the day today (still Sunday). There was logic in this decision, including noting that it's more about "time" between sessions than which exact day you do them on. Meaning, the sessions themselves don't recognize the day they are being done on, but rather there is a sequence with "proper" time in between. :rolleyes: That line of Dory thinking, in a nutshell, gave me the confidence that doing Saturday's and Sunday's training all in one day was a logical remedy to my Saturday conundrum. It all went fine - totally fine - but kids, don't try this at home. ;)

The trainer session was done on a cold morning with the garage doors up. My toes froze, but otherwise I was pretty comfortable in my ratty sweatshirt and winter gloves. The numbers from this were more level/consistent than last week....and they went like this:

66...154 / 93...125
    67...164 / 92...118
    68...166 / 91...115
    68...165 / 91...115
    68...167 / 92...118

After a T2 of about 15 minutes - had to slip into my winter running coat, hat, gloves, etc - I was out in the field making my way around 3 times. And, just like last week, I was suprised at how the body didn't really protest. ??? Maybe it's because I am going slow and easy??? I'm not sure, but it's a pleasant surprise!

Actual bike-run: 2 hours and 15 minutes making like an Egyptian on the Black Cat followed by 20ish minutes/2ish miles in the field bundled up like an Eskimo

Sunday, December 4th, 2016

Run

After a bit of a break (and some really delicious hot chocolate!!! :D), I headed back out to the field to ease my way around it 9 times. I had some soothing tunes on to keep me light and breezy, and this honestly felt fine. I love my Hoka One Ones...have even ordered a pair of pure road running shoe on sale, looking forward to receiving them....these trail/road shoes I am currently wearing seem to agree with me and my feet/legs. Not much to say about this. Loving the freedom of no watch, and embracing the slow and strong. Whoop! :)

Actual run: 60ish minutes/6ish miles in the field lovin' my shoes

Yoga

Injury Prevention Yoga...check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

OK - be careful. I wouldn't go doing too many of those sessions so soon on the same day. Hope you don't have an ill effects today

pgibbo wrote: »
    OK - be careful. I wouldn't go doing too many of those sessions so soon on the same day. Hope you don't have an ill effects today

+1. I totally agree with you. And no ill effects today, other than a voracious appetite!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    There was logic in this decision

latest?cb=20100618013853

:eek::eek::eek:

EEK!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to bleach this log now!!

Tuesday, December 6th, 2016

Run

This was a sneaky lunchtime trot in the fish tank. Whoop! 30 minutes at a wave pace of 1:57...and how nice it felt to run in the tank with fresh legs. Whoop whoop!!

Bike

Description:
    30 mins warm up, including 5 min single-leg drills, alternating 30 sec each leg.
    30x 1 min best average with race cadence, in your bars.
    So this should be the best average power you can hold for all 30 reps. Suggest starting strong and building through each set of ten.
    30 sec easy spin
    15 mins easy
    1:30 total

I did this after work with the garage doors down because it was bitter cold out there tonight!!! And....this went fine. I upped effort through the session in sets of ten by upping the gear by one yet keeping the cadence as close to (or slightly above) 90 as possible. And, it looked like my power was ~150w, ~180w, ~200w, respectively. Good, sweaty session!!

Actual bike: 90 minutes on the Black Cat

Wednesday, December 7th, 2016

Run

Okay....this was an after work street stomper on Main Street, USA. !!!! Yup, I actually ventured out onto asphalt for this one, and I think this very well may be my first street run since last March. !!!! For the first mile, my knees knew I was not on grass, but it seemed once I got warmed up, things settled down. I went with one of the high school kids who works at the clinic (she runs cross country), and it was nice to have the youthful company to chatter with. It was also nice to gently tackle some of the hills I haven't seen in a while. And, of course, it was nice to be entertained by some of the holiday "decorations". ;):)

Actual run: 50ish minutes on the street in my brand new Hoka One Ones!

Thursday, December 9th, 2016

Bike-run

trainer:
    30 min warm up
    6x 8 mins as follows:
    5 mins BIG gear, strong but not crazy. just a steady effort, in your bars.
    3 mins high cadence, easy gear (this is your recovery), as 20 sec 100+ cadence/ 40 sec 90 cadence.
    7 more mins easy

I did this after work in the cold garage. Brrr!! Old man winter has definitely made his appearance. So, needless to say, the garage doors were down, which left me looking at the boring garage door for nearly 90 minutes. Of course, when you're working it like a big girl, you honestly don't even notice your surroundings.....however, :D I have decided to do a little inspirational graffiti "on" the doors to entertain me this winter while I'm on the Black Cat trying to remember why I'm doing what I'm doing. So.....for last night's session, I had numbers in front of me. Eagleman numbers, to be specific. I'm getting my head in the game, and it feels good.

But the data for last night's 5 min BG work is as follows....

I expended the most effort on the last 3, yet I felt strong for them. But make no mistake, I emptied the tank on the last interval.

Off the bike I hopped, and into the fish tank for 45 minutes of some good tub trotting. I did this at a wave pace of 2:07, and like the trainer session, I felt strong for this. Legs were all business!!!

Actual bike-run: 85 minutes on the Black Cat mulling over numbers followed by 45 minutes in the tub mulling over 2017

• Advertisement

Friday, December 10th, 2016

Swim-run

10 min warmup
    8 x (4 min buoy/band cruise, 30 sec rest)
    5 min easy kick
    5 min cool down

Ugh. I felt very sluggish for this one. Boo. I did the buoy/band all at a 1:30 wave pace and never felt the joy. Oh well. :(

Then off with the goggles and cap, and on with the trot in the tub! I did 30 minutes all at a wave pace of 2:02, and the legs found that joy that had been missing on the swim. YAY! :)

Actual swim-run: ~50 minutes splashing and 30 minutes dashing

Saturday, December 11th, 2016

Bike-run

trainer:
    20 min easy.
    4x
    30 sec R leg only
    15 sec spin
    30 sec L leg only
    15 sec spin
    4x
    1 min as 20-20-20 build to high 200s last 20 sec
    1 min super easy spin
    1 more min easy til 35 mins.
    then this set:
    2x
    5x 3 mins strong, big gear (cadence 55-65, so this is low heartrate) + 1 min easy
    5x 3 mins strong (best effort you can hold for 5 reps!), race cadence+ 1 min easy spin
    4 mins easy
    easy til 2:15

Okay....this was a toughie....and maybe I was too ambitious on the first BG and race cadence sets....but overall the numbers on this were "better" than the last time I did this session on Nov. 13th. This is how it went, data stated as avg cadence...avg power:

BG:

Race cadence:

I knew I had really worked it to this point, but hoped the 5 minute break would recover me well enough to keep up the power....however, I also decided to up it one gear at this point so I would be in the specified cadence range on the BG work...but this became a slog.

BG:

I am not sure if the decrease in power was due to fatigue, or a case of diminishing returns with the harder gear/slower cadence. Perhaps it was a bit of both?? (Probably fatigue, based on the last set of race cadence work below??) For the very first race cadence interval I had it in one gear higher, but when I saw what the power was for that slower cadence I decided to just put the gearing back to where I had for the first set of this so we could honestly compare the numbers.

Race cadence:

The good news is I never gave up...and, as I stated above, these numbers as a whole are an improvement over a month ago. You gotta always find that silver lining!!! :)

So....off with the bike clothes, and on with the winter running gear!!! This was not a pretty run. Yikes. I went slow and tried to stay relaxed and fluid, but this was not as perky as the previous two Saturday post-bike field runs. But....I got it done - 3 times around with a smile on my face, so it's not all bad. And a delicious cup of hot chocolate afterwards was my recovery reward. Whoop whoop!! :D

Actual bike-run: 2 hours and 15 minutes in a cold garage on the Black Cat followed by 20 minutes running like an Eskimo in my field

Sunday, December 12th, 2016

Run

A simple hour in the field was on the docket for today, so I squeezed this in between my very frustrating attempts at trimming the Christmas tree. Three days later, and that damn tree is still not totally done!! Two words: Type A. :eek: :rolleyes:

It was chilly out, but very sunny, so honestly I was happy as a clam to be getting the holiday stink blown off of me while wearing some super awesome and cozy running duds. Kids, you get what you pay for....so pay a little more and you'll not regret it when Old Man Winter comes 'a knocking! ;) My legs were heavy for this - the previous day's bike session was definitely still in them - but after about 4 miles they seemed to get a little pep in their step. Whoop!!! And it occurred to me while I was trotting around the field that this is 3 weeks in a row that I have done some sort of running for 6 out of the 7 days. Yay me!! :)

Actual run: 60 minutes (9 times around) chillin' in my field ;):)

Tuesday, December 13th, 2016

(Some of my dates above are wrong! :( )

Run

I did this sneaky lunchtime style. 45 wonderful minutes at a wave pace of 1:57. Legs still had the weekend's work in them, but overall they felt strong. :)

Bike

30 mins warm up, including 5 min single-leg drills, alternating 30 sec each leg.
    30x 1 min best average with race cadence, in your bars.
    So this should be the best average power you can hold for all 30 reps. Suggest starting strong and building through each set of ten.
    30 sec easy spin more

Okay...so last week I had a fairly big variation in my power from start to finish during this same session, so, per my guiding light's suggestion, I kept it tighter this week. Breaking things down in the sets of 10, the first set I kept my cadence at or above 90, and my power seemed to be in the 170s....the second set was in the same gear as the first but I upped the cadence to 92 or above and my power seemed to be around 190....and the third set I upped the gear by one and tried to keep the cadence around 90 (was a bit of a struggle on the last few) which seemed to result in a power of 200ish. Was a good sweaty session!!

Actual bike: 90 sweaty minutes after work on the Black Cat

Wednesday, December 14th, 2016

This was another holiday street stomper with a friend. Whoop!! Best thing about the run (besides the company and the fact that I am able to run at all) was seeing good old St. Nick pass by on the local firetruck. Oh the jumping about and cheering that ensued. Yep, got me a big grin and wave from that jolly old soul. I think he may have even winked at me. ;) And the firetruck gave a grand honk too. Oh...the simple things.... But the biggest disappointment about the run was seeing that the Tutt's on the hill did NOT write "Happy Birthday Jesus" in lights on their fence as they do every year. Wtf??? Have they no spirit? Have they no joy? What the hell? As Orxy once said...."merry fecking Christmas."

In a nutshell...the run was good.....did 50ish minutes chattering away and easing up the hills. My knee can distinguish between grass and pavement, but it was fine...and it is fine. :)

Actual run: 5ish miles in 50ish minutes for a holidayish small town experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Is it a bad sign that my log is busier than yours?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Is it a bad sign that my log is busier than yours?

Lol! No. I'm here....ticking away. The holidays were nuts with travel to Alexandria/DC (saw Wicked at the Kennedy Center!) and then company for Christmas, and a New Year's Eve party that lasted way too long, that I just never had time to sit down and log properly. I'll try and get things caught up this weekend....but the body is holding up, and I promised myself months ago that I'd make some race decisions after the first of the year....and it's now the first of the year, so that is also on my to-do list! Thank you for popping in and checking on me. Happy New Year!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Great stuff. I was again mentally going through the list of awesome Boardsies and I was up to date with Neady and CM but realised you were MIA....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Happy New Year Dory :) I figured you were busy, baking, icing, stuffing and eating. Hope you had a great holiday season.

It's January 12th Dory and there's still no update :(

I thought you'd have been over to Ireland to dognap Kona from Joey by now .... at the very least.

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    It's January 12th Dory and there's still no update :(

I thought you'd have been over to Ireland to dognap Kona from Joey by now .... at the very least.

I know, I know, I know!!! :eek:

I had the best of intentions to get caught up this past weekend, but I came down with a monster of a cold....and boy howdy did it hit me with a vengeance. :eek: I am still coughing and sputtering, but around 9am yesterday morning I "turned the corner" and started to begin to feel like I was indeed going to live. YAY!!!! ;)

So.....as a catch up to the end of 2016, let me just say that training was decent. I had a few holiday obligations (traveling to see family, then company at my house), thus there were a few days when nothing happened from a training standpoint, but I was/am totally okay with that. Probably the most significant/concerning thing that happened was my left knee (surgery knee!!) became quite swollen after my streets-of-Luray-run-with-a-friend Christmas morning. :confused: I'm not totally sure why this particular run aggravated it - could it be that this was the 3rd or 4th run in a row (too many?) that was done on pavement, or perhaps it was that this was a wee bit longer than I had previously run on pavement since my surgery, or maybe it was the excess holiday poundage from too much holiday enjoyment???? Who knows....but the good news is the swelling resolved after a few days and the knee has been in check ever since.

Next up.....the first week of January.....in my next post!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Happy NY HoochieDD !

Happy NY HoochieDD !

And happy new year to you too, stud muffin! :)

Sunday, January 1st, 2017 thru Sunday, January 8th, 2017

Getting caught up here.....a week at a time....quickie style!

Sunday, January 1st - 1:00 Outdoor Run
    This was a horrible field slog...felt like I was running thru mud and muck. My body was just not on board, probably because the night before I had stayed out until 2:30 in the morning. :eek: But I got this done, even if it wasn't pretty. And it wasn't!!!!

Monday, January 2nd - Rest Day
    Thank god!

Tuesday, January 3rd - 1:30 Bike, :30 Run
    The guts of the bike was 30 x (1 min with race cadence in bars, 30 sec easy)...and this went fine. I don't typically bother hitting the lap button when I do this set, instead I work off cadence, gear, and percieved effort.
    The run was done immediately after the bike, and it was done in the fish tank at a wave pac of 1:57. This felt fine.

Wednesday, January 4th - :45 Run, TRX
    This run was done in a style that I have not done since before my neck issue last spring - treadie style!!!! The goal for this little ditty was to introduce some leg turnover, which I need desperately. Desperately!!! Sadly, the leg turnover pace for this session was a mere 7:30 min/mile, or a setting of 8 on the treadmill. Well, I guess I have to start somewhere! Guts of this session was 15 x 30 sec on, 30 sec off.

Thursday, January 5th - 1:25 Bike, :45 Run
    The heart of the bike session was 6 x (5 min BG w/60-65 rpm, 3 min easy gear w/100/90 rpm). We have discovered a weakness in my bike - seated 60-65 rpm!! So, I will be doing a good bit of seated 60-65 rpm work. !!! Must. Get. Stronger. Data for the 6 x 5 min:

The run was done in the fish tank immediately after the bike all at a wave pace of 1:57. Legs felt strong!!

Friday, January 6th - 1:00 Swim, :30 Run
    This swim was a toughie!! Yikes! The guts of this session was 3 sets of: 4 x (30 sec @ 1:15, 60 sec rest), 6 min @ 1:24, 3 min @ 1:33. And it's all about those 6 minute intervals!!!! And they had me hanging on by a thread by the end of each 6 minutes.
    The transition from swim to run was lightening fast :D, and the run was done at a wave pace of 1:57. Legs felt good!!

Saturday, January 7th - 2:00 Bike
    This was a new session for me. I have done certain elements of this session, such as the cadence sets and ISO leg drills, but the new element was the 3 x (10 min standing BG (surging the last 10 sec of each minute), 2 min easy). This went okay, but unfortunately today was the start of my monster cold, and I felt kinda crappy and knew not to push these 2 hours but so much. I also approached this conservatively since this was new to me and I really didn't want an epic blowup. Data as follows:

Sunday, January 8th - 1:00 Outdoor Run
    Old man winter had made his appearance and we were under frigid conditions with temps well below freezing and snow on the ground. But I sucked it up and put on my best winter running duds and headed out to the field, with my cold in tow. :( However...the icy wind added a certain challenge to this that helped me make the decision to cut this a bit short to around 5 miles. No guilt here for cutting this short!!!

Great to see you back Dory. Sorry about your cold - been doing the rounds this side of the Atlantic too :( Hope you're feeling better soon.

Monday, January 9th, 2017 thru Sunday, January 15th, 2017

Monday, January 9th - Rest
    :D

Tuesday, January 10th - 1:30 Bike, :30 Run
    This was a repeat of last Tuesday's session, with the guts being 30 x (1 min in bars at race cadence, 30 sec easy)....and I was glad to have this workout tonight instead of one that keeps you totally honest with power because I was under the weather with that nagging cold that I came down with over the weekend - coughing and sputtering and feeling pretty yucky. Boo.
    The run was done in the fish tank immediately after the bike at a wave pace of 1:57. The first 20 minutes felt fine, but the last 10 minutes started to pinch!!

Wednesday, January 11th - :45 Run, TRX
    This was also a repeat of last week's Wednesday treadmill session with the heart of it being some leg turnover work at a setting of 8.0 on the tread-o-meter, aka 7:30 min/mile. Specifically, the work was done 15 x (30 sec on, 30 sec off)...and this felt fine....yet I was still coughing and hacking and living off of cough drops!!
    I did the TRX work immediately after the run.

Thursday, January 12th - 1:25 Bike, :45 Run
    Another repeat from last week - this was the same bike session from last Thursday, except I wasn't sick a week ago. The guts of this was 6 x (5 min BG w/ 60-65 rpm, 3 min easy gear w/100/90 rpm). I think I went thru a half a dozen cherry-honey Ricola lozenges during these 85 minutes. I also minded the effort with respect to my cold, and not surprisingly, my power numbers were slightly down from last week.

I did the run in the fish tank immediately after the bike, and this felt great! Wave pace was 1:57!!! :)

Friday, January 13th - :45 Swim, :30 Run
    The main set of this swim was 15 x (45 sec at moderate effort, 30 sec rest), all done with buoy/band. This felt good! I did the first 10 minutes at a pace of 1:21, then boldly upped the pace to 1:20 for the final 5.
    After a smooth transition from swim to run (goggles off, cap off....), this tub trot was done at a wave pace of 1:57. The first 5 minutes were tough, but things settled and the effort stabilized after that. Whoop!

Saturday, January 14th - 2:15 Bike
    Pyramid time!!! The main set of this was:
    5 min BG w/ 60-65 rpm, 5 min easy w/ 90+ rpm
    10 min BG w/ 60-65 rpm, 10 min easy w/ 90+ rpm
    15 min BG w/ 60-65 rpm, 15 min easy w/ 90+ rpm
    10 min BG w/ 60-65 rpm, 10 min easy w/ 90+ rpm
    5 min BG w/ 60-65 rpm, 5 min easy w/ 90+ rpm

And, from memory this went fine. I was still coughing, and I took a 2 hour nap before I did this, but I was feeling better. Data as follows:
    5 min - 63...157
    10 min - 65...162
    15 min - 66...163
    10 min - 65...161
    5 min - 66...163

Looking back to when I did this session a month ago, these numbers were down about 4 or 5 points today.

Sunday, January 15th - 1:00 Outdoor Run, Yoga
    This run was done on the trails!!! With a friend!!! Up, up, up for 3 miles!!! And down, down, down for 3 miles!!! :eek: I was hating life at times as this was tough. This was probably the first time since my injury last March that I have actually been challenged, and this nearly kicked my @ss. My friend can haul it up hills, and he knows how to charge it back down. I was chasing him like my life depended on it, all the while his dog, Cooper, was keeping check on me. I wasn't about to let my friend see me sweat, but trust me, I was cussing him under my breath for a huge chunk of this 6 mile forest run, and at times I swore I would never run with him again. Daggers, baby....virtual daggers were being lobbed. But in all honesty, I needed this challenge. I felt all the emotions during this run, some not too pretty, but this was good. I need to run with this friend more often! He's craaaaazy!!!! :eek::):D

Yoga was done in the evening, and it was my Injury Prevention video with my yogi cat, Norris, sharing the yoga mat spotlight with me! :)

Isn't there a rule about a cold being below the neck and resting?

Ah, friends that push you just that little bit over the edge, I've got them. You've explained just perfectly what I go through quite regularly when I'm training with people. It always feels great at the end though because you know you've been pushed way beyond your comfort zone :)

Popping in to say I am still here...still training....but I have also turned into a bit of an activist by attending the Women's March on DC, writing my Senators, and consuming all the political news that's out there. I'll get this log updated over the next few days. Thank god for work and sport, otherwise I'd probably be attending every march, movement and rally to fight for what is right. Let's hope congress here finds their collective backbone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Popping in to say I am still here...still training....but I have also turned into a bit of an activist by attending the Women's March on DC, writing my Senators, and consuming all the political news that's out there. I'll get this log updated over the next few days. Thank god for work and sport, otherwise I'd probably be attending every march, movement and rally to fight for what is right. Let's hope congress here finds their collective backbone!

Nice one C. Four women ran from Boston(?) to D.C. for the march. Pacing will be key to this marathon too !

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Nice one C. Four women ran from Boston(?) to D.C. for the march. Pacing will be key to this marathon too !

Well done to those women....and, tell me about it!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, January 16th 2017 thru Sunday, January 22nd, 2017

Monday, January 16th - Rest!!!

Lovin' the rest day!!

Tuesday, January 17th - 1:40 Bike, 1:00 Swim

I was supposed to bust these two sessions up - one at lunch and one in the evening - but my day got away from me so I ended up doing them back to back with the bike first, and honestly, all went well. The main section of the bike was 3 x (5 min standing big gear, 2 min easy), and the resulting power was down a bit from the last few times I've done this session. Boo. In my notes I stated two possibilities for the lower power: my lingering cough, and my quads in bits from the crazy trail run two days previous. Numbers as follows, stated as averag power...average cadence:

After a quick costume change, I hopped in the pool!! The main set of this was 3 x (8 min buoy/band, 30 sec rest). I did not push this too much since I was supposed to have rested between sessions, so I did the buoy/band all at a pace of 1:27.

Wednesday, January 18th - :45 Run, TRX

This was a sneaky lunchtime treadie session with the work of it done as 15 x (30 sec "on" (8.0 setting, aka 7:30 pace), 30 sec "off"). No issues....all good in the hood. Easing very s-l-o-w-l-y into the run.

TRX was done after work!

Thursday, January 19th - 1:25 Bike, :45 Run

Well......this bike started out with some serious concerns from yours truly. My power seemed down from the start, yet my effort seemed high. Ugh. The quality bit of this session was 6 x (5 min big gear (60-65 rpm), 3 min high cadence (100+/90+)), and when I saw the first set of power numbers my heart sank. :( I'm not getting any younger, and my body has broken on me too many times over the last 3 years so it is natural for me to question what I am doing. <exhale> But in that grasping-at-straws moment I decided to try something - I decided I'd stop and recalibrate my pedals. And....that seemed to maybe-kinda-sorta help. ??? I think. ??? Any hoo....this was a slog...and I was burning up...so I ended up opening the garage doors and letting the arctic air in. Numbers as follows:

These power numbers ended up being higher than the last 3 times I've done this session. But it was work!

After a quick change, I hopped in the pool and immediately was hating life. This. Was. Tough. I started out at a wave pace of 1:57, but after 10 minutes I conceded and reduced the wave to 2:02.

Friday, January 20th - Nothing

Today was a travel day to Alexandria/DC. Highlights included meeting a dear friend in my hometown of Alexandria for some romping around Old Town, then landing at my girlfriends' row house in the heart of DC (where I stayed for the weekend) and having dinner at the uber cool and very organic Restaurant Nora. This place is fab!! The smoked salmon tartare was to die for!!!!!!

Saturday, January 21st - The Women's March on DC

This was an incredible day. We walked from my friends' house to the march, and from our first step outside their front door the energy in the air was on high. It honestly reminded me of marathon morning, it was that intense with excitement and sense of purpose. All the happy faces, all the smiles, all the positivity, all the clever (and some quite hilarious) signs, and all the pink hats...all of which increased in number the closer we got to the venue. Crazy-good-insane. Uplifting. Empowering. Peaceful. Hopeful. Kind. Loving. Positive. What a fantastic experience that did so many of us (and hopefully this nation) so much good. Unity. And hope. :)

Sunday, January 22nd - Nothing

Oh, we all were basking in the after-glow of the march. As soon as we arose from our slumber, each of us in the house was scouring the newspapers and Internet for assessments, numbers, and thoughts of the day that was. Success!! We had indeed exceeded the million mark in our DC march, but what we didn't realize, because none of us had decent internet/email/text messaging while at the march (too many peeps in too small a location??? yet I could text our girl Oryx with no real trouble!!), was the number of national and international protests that were going on simultaneously. Wow. !!! Wow!!!! After we had digested all of this, we trekked back to Restaurant Nora for a special brunch they were offering in our Women's March honor. The chocolate mousse was heaven! :)

Advertisement