Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Friday, November 4th, 2016

Run

This was of the rise-and-shine variety. I was up at 4:45 in the morning and in the fish tank by 5 o'clock for a 30 minute tub trot at a wave pace of 1:57. I actually had intended on doing this at 2:02, but the setting had a mind of its own and adjusted itself to 1:57 from the 2:02 within the first 2 minutes of this, and I just didn't bother correcting it. And....it went fine. :)

TRX

This was done after work in the crisp, cool evening air. I'm working on a better plank technique because I think I've been cheating at them without realizing it. :confused: I notice if I have my hands under my shoulders rather than under my ribs (neither is exact!), it's harder! Yikes! So, I'm working on it - working on engaging my core more. YIKES! Stil really enjoying the TRX for strength work.

Swim

30 minutes in the tub immediately after the TRX. All done at a wave pace of 1:30, and all done buoy band. Whoop!

Saturday, November 5th, 2016

Bike

I was given the option of a 2 hour ride outside or a 90 minute trainer session, and with no personal or business obligations to get in my way, I headed for the streets to put rubber to the road. Whoop!! And what a frickin' specatacular fall day it was today. Peak leaf weekend here, so all the leaf lookers were on the mountain on Skyline Drive while I was in the valley enjoying the scenery in my own backyard.

The ride itself went very well. I didn't make this crazy or anything, but I kept it honest and with decent effort. Probably the most exciting thing about this ride (besides the gorgeous view) was that I was on the Mad One (my road bike), sporting the new cranks that I had the bike shop install - shorter ones, to match the ones on my Black Cat (tri bike). I had been noticing all summer long the difference in my pedal stroke between the two bikes while on the trainer - the longer crank of the Mad One was apparent...and in particular, I had more holes in my revolution when I would do my single leg drills. I was happy as a clam today with these new cranks. I have no real idea if I was (or will be) any faster, but I guess in theory if these cranks exploit my power more effectively (in my head I was calling this my "pedal power zone"), then I should be. Of course I spent most of this ride thinking about these cranks and wondering all sorts of crazy things....like, will my cadence be higher? ??? I also wondered if this shorter crank suits me better in part because I am a masher at heart, or is it purely based on my physical dimensions. ??? Peter Kern is the one who guided me on crank size for my tri bike nearly 2 years ago, and I think he was spot on. So thank you Peter Kern.

But as I said, this ride went well....and I decided not to take on any nutrition during the ride (see the 26.2 mile fueling thread...), but I did drink one bottle of sports drink while out there. Other than that, honestly this was just one very enjoyable ride!

Oh, but here's a fashion tip for some of the ladies out there - add a bolero or two to your bike clothes closet to extend your summer wear. If you're like me, you've got some nice summer bike jerseys that you hate to pack away come cooler weather. Girls, get yourself a sporty little bolero, and you've now got a long sleeve option for those sleeveless little numbers you love so much. Brilliant!! :)

Okay, I've chattered on long enough. I guess you can see Dory is back! ;):D

Actual bike: 30.01 miles in 1:56:61 for an average speed of 15.5 mph and an elevation gain of 1,726 feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

The whoop-count index has been particularly strong of late, great to see.

"Pedal power zone" is a proper scientific term, or if not then it should be. What is the benefit for shorter cranks with a masher? (I know knowing about crank lengths but intuitively would have thought longer cranks are better for mashing- happy to be put right on this!)

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    The whoop-count index has been particularly strong of late, great to see.

WHOOP!!! :D
    (thank you)
    "Pedal power zone" is a proper scientific term, or if not then it should be.

I know! Isn't it cute??? ;)
    What is the benefit for shorter cranks with a masher? (I know knowing about crank lengths but intuitively would have thought longer cranks are better for mashing- happy to be put right on this!)

I haven't a clue....and I'm not even sure there is any correlation between mashing and a shorter crank. It was just one of many thoughts/questions/problems-to-solve while I was pedaling along. You should have seen my mind working trying to figure out all the math that is remotely associated with the cranks, including all things revolution, speed, and power. !!!

Dory Dory wrote: »

I haven't a clue....and I'm not even sure there is any correlation between mashing and a shorter crank. It was just one of many thoughts/questions/problems-to-solve while I was pedaling along. You should have seen my mind working trying to figure out all the math that is remotely associated with the cranks, including all things revolution, speed, and power. !!!

My least favourite Maths module dealt with torque, the turning force that pushes an object (like a chainring) around a pivot. In a nutshell, you gear the chainring to either spin many times (a spinner), or to spin with a lot of force (a masher). So the greater torque applied, the more benefit a masher will get. Torque depends on two quantities for a 90˚pivot like a bike; the force applied (your leg), and the length of the lever (crank). Greater torque will be produced with longer cranks, which is why I replied regarding masher and shorter cranks.

But! If its working for you, its working for you- thats by far the most important thing! FWIW I never thought of your cadence numbers as indicating a masher- I'd typically be under 70rpm in races, much lower than figures you post.

Again, to emphasise:
    1. I know very little about bikes/cranks/cadence/lots of other things, yet for some reason feel compelled to give my 2c.
    2. Work with whatever works!
    3. Did I mention I hated vector maths? ;)

• Advertisement

My least favourite Maths module dealt with torque, the turning force that pushes an object (like a chainring) around a pivot. In a nutshell, you gear the chainring to either spin many times (a spinner), or to spin with a lot of force (a masher). So the greater torque applied, the more benefit a masher will get. Torque depends on two quantities for a 90˚pivot like a bike; the force applied (your leg), and the length of the lever (crank). Greater torque will be produced with longer cranks, which is why I replied regarding masher and shorter cranks.

But! If its working for you, its working for you- thats by far the most important thing! FWIW I never thought of your cadence numbers as indicating a masher- I'd typically be under 70rpm in races, much lower than figures you post.

Again, to emphasise:
    1. I know very little about bikes/cranks/cadence/lots of other things, yet for some reason feel compelled to give my 2c.
    2. Work with whatever works!
    3. Did I mention I hated vector maths? ;)

Just a mere 3 years ago I lived in the big ring, had a cadence of 65ish, and was happy as a clam. However, after being nagged by peeps I periodically rode with back then, and after having various guiding lights over the years try and teach me the merits of employing an easier gear and a higher cadence, I have been able to change my ways. BUT, when I tire, or when left to my own devices, I tend to settle into a harder gear and slip into a lower cadence. Honestly, I am happier there. I am happiest when I am doing big gear work on the trainer. I am happiest when I'm going up a gut wrenching hill when on the road. So, in my heart I love the mash.

Regarding your in depth analysis about torque/crank/force....you got me. But, I would imagine that each of us has a "pedal power zone" - a zone of our maximum power output or efficiency. I imagine (in my mind) that once we cross the zone boundaries, we become less powerful/efficient. I don't doubt your mathematical equation, but there must be upper (and lower) limits to your analysis....and maybe within those upper and lower limits mashers and spinners can find their respective happy places. And perhaps the original crank I had on the Mad One was outside my pedal power zone....and perhaps Peter knew that based purely on my height, inseam, and gender. What I can tell you is this - with the longer crank, I had more dead spots in the single leg drills....so right there that tells me I was losing power. (Right?) Interesting discussion, this is, by two people who really haven't a clue what they are talking about. ;)

Sunday, November 6th, 2016

Run

I had commited to going on a hike with a few friends, so off the five of us trudged this morning into the glorious woods on this most fantastic of fall days. This is peak leaf weekend, and the woods were on fire with brilliant color. We hiked for approximately 6 miles (out and back), and it was a technical trail with decent elevation gain...but we were rewarded with a breathtaking view of the Shenandoah river and our county below. We had two teenagers with us - a 13 year old and a 15 year old - and I swear they had it in for me as one of them tried pushing me on the way up, and the other tried on the way down. But don't worry folks, Dory didn't let either of them win. ;)

But the run....I slipped out of my hiking boots and into my runners almost immediately upon arriving home from the hike....and this went really well! I turned on my tunes and made this all about relaxation as I "glided" around the field 9 times. I have no idea about my pace (I still refuse to wear my Garmin for fear of scaring me), but I will tell you that I finished these 6 miles a wee bit sooner in the Foo Fighters cd than I have been. Yay! That would indicate some progress....and I'll take that, thank you very much! :)

Actual run: 6 miles of hiking followed by 6 miles of field running in my Hoka One Ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Glad to hear that you're seeing improvements int your running, this bodes well for your recovery :) Hoka One Ones, I'm seeing more and more long distance runners wear them. How do you find them? I'm temped to get a pair as a back up to my asics kayanos. Do you every wear trail runners in your field to give you more traction or is there good grip under food - I'm thinking of a typical field in Ireland that quiet muddy and slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm not 100% but I think the reason for shorter cranks is to do with opening up your hip angle. A longer crank will 'close' it too much at the top of the pedal stroke. I'd say the improvement in your pedal stroke doing one legged drills is from doing the one legged drills rather than the crank. They are obviously working for you though the way your power numbers are going!

Neady83 wrote: »
    Glad to hear that you're seeing improvements int your running, this bodes well for your recovery :) Hoka One Ones, I'm seeing more and more long distance runners wear them. How do you find them? I'm temped to get a pair as a back up to my asics kayanos. Do you every wear trail runners in your field to give you more traction or is there good grip under food - I'm thinking of a typical field in Ireland that quiet muddy and slippy.

I love my Hokas! And they are incredibly light!! I went with the Challenger model (but not in this color) -

http://www.hokaoneone.com/sale/challenger-atr-2/1009659.html?dwvar_1009659_color=AFH#start=11&cgid=womens-view-all

I went with this model because you can run trails and road in these, so I thought they'd be great for my field running. And they are. This is the one and only pair of trail shoes I've ever owned, so I'm not the right person to ask about trial running shoes....plus, I would imagine true trail running shoes are much more "trail friendly" than the shoes I went with. Hoka has a true trail shoe called the Speedgoat. Brilliant, and it was hard for me to resist purchasing a pair due to the name! Probably the biggest thing I notice about the ones I have is they have a wide base...and they are incredibly light. Hoka has a 30 day money back guarantee, so you really can't lose. They seem to want their customers happy!

joey100 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% but I think the reason for shorter cranks is to do with opening up your hip angle. A longer crank will 'close' it too much at the top of the pedal stroke. I'd say the improvement in your pedal stroke doing one legged drills is from doing the one legged drills rather than the crank. They are obviously working for you though the way your power numbers are going!

Yep. I've been told the same, that the shorter length can help with the hip flexor and make running off the bike "easier".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yep. I've been told the same, that the shorter length can help with the hip flexor and make running off the bike "easier".

My 2c, I was recommended during a bike fit to go down from 175 to 172.5 or 170 cranks as my knee was wanting to push out at the top of my stroke in order to use different muscles to get the down push. I had a much smoother stroke with shorter cranks.

Interesting discussion, this is, by two people who really haven't a clue what they are talking about. ;)

Some of the best ideas come from talking about stuff you haven't a clue about! Tonight at the pool, our coach had us doing one arm drills, he was trying to emphasise a straighter reach for entry and catch, one guy was letting his entry go too wide. Coach quickly demonstrated the straighter entry, and said it gives "more power"... I instantly thought of the crank, the torque, and sin 90˚!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see from this that Lange rode 170 cranks. Nice bike split and run too :) Crowie rode 167.5. A lot of PROs seem to ride shorter cranks. I'd like to try but it's an expensive change when you have a crank based PM

pgibbo wrote: »
    I see from this that Lange rode 170 cranks. Nice bike split and run too :) Crowie rode 167.5. A lot of PROs seem to ride shorter cranks. I'd like to try but it's an expensive change when you have a crank based PM

Swit swoo!

I went from 170 to 165, and I am much more "comfortable" with the slightly smaller revolution. And I feel I am engaged thru more/most/all??? of the revolution. I also found this article that I think is somewhat informative. Yes, it is written from a woman's perspective, but I think you fellas can still glean something from it. And it sort of hit home with my discussion with Kurt, it's not just physics....it's also biomechanics (power pedal zone???). :)

http://www.petitebikefit.com/resources-2/crank-arm-length-the-missing-link/

Tuesday, November 8th, 2016

Run

I did a sneaky little lunchtime 30 minute tub trot all at a wave pace of 1:57. Lovely!!!

Bike

trainer:
    20 min w/u
    10x15 sec spin up to max cadence+power (so this should sting)+ 45 sec easy.
    12x3 min verrrrrry strong in your bars at race cadence+ 1 min super easy.
    easy til 90 mins

I did this after work, and I tried streaming the election coverage while on the trainer but I quickly realized it was not a good mix....so I turned on my tunes instead. This was a tough session, but it seemed to go well. I settled into a gear I thought was honest, then upped it by one gear for the final 3 intervals. Data stated as "average cadence...average power" as follows:

+1 gear:

Legs were totally done by the end of this. Total sweat fest!

Actual bike: 90 minutes on the Black Cat hoping and praying we have another Clinton in the White House

Okay my Irish friends, this is a sad evening in the land of Dory. I know the election is not completely over yet, but even if Clinton can pull it out (and it's looking increasingly more difficult), how tight this is is shocking to me, and the statement it makes about the kind of America we have become is repulsive to me. I know this is not the place to voice my political opinions so strongly, but I feel a need to apologize for what is unfolding before my eyes. I am numb, and I am horrified. This is not who I thought we were. I am heading to bed and will awake to the news, whatever that may be.

Okay my Irish friends, this is a sad evening in the land of Dory. I know the election is not completely over yet, but even if Clinton can pull it out (and it's looking increasingly more difficult), how tight this is is shocking to me, and the statement it makes about the kind of America we have become is repulsive to me. I know this is not the place to voice my political opinions so strongly, but I feel a need to apologize for what is unfolding before my eyes. I am numb, and I am horrified. This is not who I thought we were. I am heading to bed and will awake to the news, whatever that may be.

My heart is broken for you and all of my colleagues, family and friends in the US Dory. It's beyond belief. There are very unhappy people in the world and this and Brexit are the consequences but as a result, there must be some very very frightened people in the US at the moment.

Anyone got a line on a little something on the coast?? I'm thinking a small cottage in a quiet town snuggled by a body of water. Something a gal with a love for the outdoors and passion for chocolate would enjoy. F*ck. Today is going to be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You'd have to stay West of the Shannon Dory, this one would be perfect for you [URL] http://www.odonnjoyce.com/residential/brochure/3519331 [/URL]. In the countryside but only a stones throw from Salthill where there's a pool and what I hear is great swimming in the Bay. There's lots of animals for you to look after too :)

woody1 wrote: »

Wow! STUNNING!!!!
    catweazle wrote: »
    No pool ;)

I can always have a hole dug! ;)

About choked on laughter when I saw TermonFECKin. Needed that!!! :D
    You'd have to stay West of the Shannon Dory, this one would be perfect for you [URL] http://www.odonnjoyce.com/residential/brochure/3519331 [/URL]. In the countryside but only a stones throw from Salthill where there's a pool and what I hear is great swimming in the Bay. There's lots of animals for you to look after too :)

Well, my family is from the west. And this would put me close to catweazle, pbgibbo, BTH and YOU!!! :)

Keep em coming folks. If things go to hell in a handbasket I will give this serious consideration. But I'd be happy with a small cottage with some personality. 2 bedrooms is fine, unless you all plan on staying for a visit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I am sick to my stomach this morning ... but now is the time to start wrestling the country back ... we cannot leave Mrs P behind !

I worked on the Saunders primary campaign (and a failed congressional race) and was struck by how complacent many people here in NJ and PA were about the issues that fueled the anger that drove Trumpism.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I am sick to my stomach this morning ... but now is the time to start wrestling the country back ... we cannot leave Mrs P behind !

I worked on the Saunders primary campaign (and a failed congressional race) and was struck by how complacent many people here in NJ and PA were about the issues that fueled the anger that drove Trumpism.

What shocks and saddens me is how it appears that Trump tapped into all the latent ugliness and hate that apparently exists in such numbers here in the US, and he legitimized it. His slogan should have been, "Making America Bigoted Again". And now we have a Trump as President. In some ways he may have done Hillary a favor because a Republican Congress would have essentially rendered her ineffective. Trump has no excuse now not to get things done and deliver on all his campaign promises as his party holds all the marbles, including deciding who will be the next one (or two) Supreme Court Justice(s). We shall see. Will he build the wall and have Mexico pay for it? Will he deport all the illegals and Muslims? Will he overturn Roe v Wade? Will he read the Constition and actually understand it??? Will he and Putin have their long awaited and for-all-the-world-to-see bromance????? I guess we'll find out. If he does, god help us all. If he doesn't, he's going to have some angry, gun toting, Ted Nugent loving supporters to answer to.

But, with all that being said.....we don't give up yet. I suspect when he realized last night that he was going to win this thing his reaction was, "Oh sh*t!! Now what??? :eek: " And that alone is some consolation for me. Well, that and the knowledge that we'll have four very entertaining years of South Park, Colbert, and John Oliver. Silver linings. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You'd be just around the corner from me as well.

Wednesday, November 9th, 2016

Run

Just a simple 45 minute tub trot. I did the first 30 minutes at a wave pace of 1:57, and the final 15 minutes at a challenging wave pace of 1:52. !!!!!!

I was supposed to do a TRX set today, but decided against it due to my sore intercostal muscles acting up! May try to get this in tomorrow if they play ball.

Hope the initial shock has diminished Dory! I deleted my house offering, probably too soon (a nice fixer-upper with seas views in Clare- Doolin to be precise ;)) No apology needed on Trump's victory (to this quarter anyway!). Wait until you see the fawning shamrock-bearer we send over for Patty's day! (the past two days our glorious leader has been furiously back-peddling on his previous caustic Trump comments :))
    we'll have four very entertaining years of South Park, Colbert, and John Oliver. Silver linings. ;):)

Thats the problem right there- the mixing of politics, entertainment, satire, and comedy... JKS!

Thursday, November 10th, 2016

Run

This was of the rise and shine variety.....a 5 o'clock in the morning trot in the fish tank. Yikes! I really could have rolled over and gone back to sleep, but in for a penny, in for a pound. I did 30 minutes all at a wave pace of 1:57, and I honestly can't remember what the heck kind of tunes I was listening to at the time. Green Day probably. Yeah, I'm going with Green Day.

Bike

20 min w/u (12 min easy spin. 6 min , alternating 1 min R/ 1 min L, 2 min easy spin)
    5x
    6 min big gear, in your aerobars (pick a gear that makes it challenging to get cadence up to 60-65. should still be a low-heartrate strength workout.)
    3 min easy spin
    5 more mins easy
    8x
    :30 sec very hard!
    2:30 super easy spin
    Easy til 1:35:00

I did this after work, and as soon as I hopped on the Black Cat and turned my Garmin on I knew I had trouble. All my data (and I mean ALL my data) had been wiped out of my Garmin Edge. ??? So I spent way too much time trying to get the bones of the necessary information keyed in so I'd have some meaningful data to work with during and after the session. And here's some of that meaningful data - 5 x 6 min set stated as "average cadence...average power:

The data for the 8 x 30 seconds ranged from 67 rpm to 72 rpm....and 221w to 247w. Good session!!!!

Actual bike: 95 minutes on the Black Cat on a very cold evening!!!

• Advertisement

Bear with me folks. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Trump thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-voters-will-not-like-what-happens-next/2016/11/09/e346ffc2-a67f-11e6-8fc0-7be8f848c492_story.html

P.S. And she's winning the popular vote!!! Ugh!

Advertisement