Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

But, why?!
    and, how long did it take?

Why? I don't know...because we could?? ;)
    I never asked why we were doing this set...that honestly didn't really matter to me. For me personally, I viewed this as a lesson in pacing, testing my endurance, conditioning my mental toughness, and (quite honestly) figuring out how I stacked up against two accomplished endurance triathletes in all of those regards.

How long did it take? Actual swimming time was ~2.5 hours...but if you add in the 1 to 2 minute breaks in between the sets, then it took us ~2.75 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm in awe of that swim set. AWESOME!!!! Great times too :cool:

Monday, July 7th, 2014

Triathlon Camp, Day 5 - long, slow run

Up and going early this morning for the final session of camp. I'm not an early morning runner, to be honest with you, but this had to be done. There were 7 of us on this last adventure, gliding through town and up into an established upper crust neighborhood that was heavily shaded...then down a paved trail that crossed several intersections and through another affluent community with mini-mansions that were impressive and stately, but devoid of any true or interesting character....then through a gate and onto a gravel trail...that morphed into a lush, green field...that morphed into a heavily wooded technical trail...that morphed into a thickly vegetated section that was quite wild and untamed...that morphed into a very narrow technical trail...that morphed back into suburban civilization. I cannot think of any other run I've ever been on that was as varied as that one. !!!

We took this very handy (it was about time on our feet and not mileage done) and chatted the entire way. Most of the conversation was normal chit chat and quite fluid, but things came to a screeching halt when the topic turned to learning to pee on the go in a race and one of the fellas quite proudly announced that he had, for the first time ever, successfully peed while swimming......during yesterday's 100 x 100 session. :eek::eek::eek: OMG!!! No one said a word, but he kept on chatting about it. I could stand it no more...I had to confirm that I had indeed heard what I thought I had heard. Yes. He peed in the University of Virginia's swimming pool....while swimming....with others, including me, swimming around him....with a bathroom just a hop, skip and a jump away. Who does that?? Who the f*ck pees in a pool?? He's a freaking adult who drives, votes, holds down a job - not a 2 year old in diapers. !!! I pointed out to him that he was not swimming in a toilet...and that the correct protocol when a pool is peed in is to close it immediately upon the discovery of the offensive offense, and to keep it closed until it is properly sanitized through super chlorination, thus truly pissing off all of the other inconvenienced users. Gross!!!!!

<exhale>

Any way...the run was fine. Started off slowly, waking the body up....but by the time I reached the last few miles I was in a comfortable groove. The legs definitely knew they had a few days of hard training in them, but I guess that's a good thing all things considered. :)

Actual run: 13.4 miles in 2:11:00 for an average pace of 9:47 min/mile

Camp is done, and I think it was well worth my time. I learned quite a few things, was exposed to some new ideas, did things I'd never have done without this camp, and gained some confidence I had been lacking. I'm a smidge tired as I type this, but overall the body held up really well....however, I'm thinking the next two days will be rest/recovery days for me. Training wisdom without protest - something I learned from my awful injury. ;)

Oh, but I did manage a super easy swim this evening to shake out the body. Was lovely. :)

Actual swim: 1,000 super easy recovery yards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I hope you're swim yesterday wasn't in the pool at the University of Virginia! :eek:

Cracking training camp. Sounds like all your injury woes are behind you. :cool:

Tuesday, July 8th, 2014

True to my word, today was a rest/recovery day. :) I dabbled in a bit of yoga after work with two kitties in tow, then onto Bring Sally Up/Down squats (I'm now up to ~1:30 into the song - these are HARD!! :eek:), some stretching, and finished up with an even measure of semi-painful foam rolling. Yikes! I took my foam roller with me to camp, but never touched that evil thing once! Perhaps that's why tonight using it was less than pleasant at times.

I had intended on doing an easy swim after the yoga/squat/stretch/rolling session, but the heavens opened up and the rain came pouring down, so I took that as a sign to relax on the couch with the Tour instead. :D And what luck! The crash at the beginning of this stage added an extra element of suspense in the form of wondering just when the remaining few threads of Chris Froome's tattered skin suit would give way. !!! ;)

• Advertisement

Wednesday, July 9th, 2014

Run plan: 3 miles recovery, only if I was up for it

And I was up for it!! I was a bit surprised how tired I was on Monday, but I suppose 5 days of pretty condensed training in the hot summer sun and wind can take a lot out of a gal. However, after taking yesterday as basically a complete rest day, I feel much better and the legs were up for a nice and easy field trot. All good in the hood!

Actual run: 3.5 easy field miles

I wore my Speedo under my running shorts and top so a quick change could be made from runner to swimmer....and quick it was. The water felt cool, but it was inviting. Just an easy swim to put things back in order.

Actual swim: 2,000 orderly yards

Thursday, July 10th, 214

The noon-hour served up a sneaky lunchtime yoga, sally up/down squat, foam rolling, and stretching session with Norris da-cat supervising from an elevated perch. His lack of partipation today on the yoga mat leads me to believe the late night broadcasting of the Tour is taking its toll on him. ;)

Swim

A nice gentle rain was falling when I started this easy swim, but somewhere along the way the rain moved out and the setting sun moved in for it was shining brightly over the Massanutten mountain when I removed my goggles after 2,000 yards. What a nice surprise on this particular day. :)

Actual swim: 2,000 easy yards in rain and sun

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Last Tuesday we had a double rainbow out over the sea as we swam. It was awesome. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Last Tuesday we had a double rainbow out over the sea as we swam. It was awesome. :)

I don't suppose there was a pot of gold at the end of those rainbows - one with each of our names on them? ;)

Friday, July 11th, 2014

Run plan: 7 miles steady

Ugh. This session was a bust from the beginning. :o Must. Do. Better.

Okay...
    I decided to do this sneaky lunchtime field style as the temps weren't too bad here this morning with all the cloud cover overhead and the sun nowhere to be found. mistake! And I figured my target pace for each of these 7 miles should be around 8:20 (with 8:10 being the upper limit, 8:30 being the lower limit). <cough> But....but....disaster struck on the very first mile in the form of my Garmin losing satellite and me not having an honest clue how fast or how slow I was running. So I just ran. And then satellite came back, but I still had no clue of my actual pace, only that my watch was trying to tell me I was slower than molasses in January. (However, because I know the distance of a field lap, I was able to compute (after the fact) that the first mile was .13 long, so I was actually at a 7:48 pace on that first mile.)

Well, that then set the tone for the rest of the run...which was way too fast.....and then the sun decided to come out while I was on mile 4, which was making me feel sick to my stomach (extreme heat and humidity tends to do that to me)...so I had to take a quick break. :o Started again, feeling MUCH better, but going too fast once again and still hating life in the heat so I made the executive decision to "cheat" by doing the last two miles on the flattest, coolest, straightest, smoothest section in the field. But all that did was make me go faster.....or perhaps all that did was make the Garmin compute that I was going faster when maybe in reality I wasn't going faster at all, but rather the Garmin inaccuracies were in full swing. ???? !!!! Ugh. This was a total disaster.

8:51 (actually 7:48), 7:52, 7:54, 7:59, 7:54, 7:23, 7:28

Actual run: 7 miles (7.13 miles) in 55:27.12 for an average pace of 7:55 (7:47) min/mile

Swim

A late evening swim while two adorable spotted fawns grazed in my field about 50 yards from where I was swimming. Too cute!!! :)

Actual swim: 2,000 late evening yards

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You are so Disney even the woodland creatures accompany your training!

Saturday, July 12th, 2014

Crazy day here in Mayberry....but managed to get in a swim in between the madness.

Actual swim: 4,000 sanity saving yards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    A late evening swim while two adorable spotted fawns grazed in my field about 50 yards from where I was swimming. Too cute!!!
    Oryx wrote: »
    You are so Disney even the woodland creatures accompany your training!

Having read your tri camp report all I can think of is ...

Fawn1 to Fawn2: "Do you think I should tell her that I just peed in there ?"

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Having read your tri camp report all I can think of is ...

Fawn1 to Fawn2: "Do you think I should tell her that I just peed in there ?"

You crack me up. :)

Sunday, July 13th, 2014

Bike

Because of the heat we are experiencing and the predicted afternoon storm that we never got, I decided I wanted to get this ride done as early as possible in the day. However, because I had to be at work to herd the kids (and the dogs and cats) at 8 am, I had to do this in 2 stages - a 2 hour ride before work, then the remainder after work.

Sooooo....up before the rooster was even thinking about cock-a-doodle-dooing, and on the road with a friend just as the sun's rays were beginning to peek over the horizon. What a freakin' gorgeous time of day to be out and on the road!! OMG!! Quiet, peaceful, no traffic, everything fresh and new (just like Disney is each morning! ;))....and the sun casts the most amazing shadows that make everything look and feel so 3D-enhanced!! And the wildlife!! Good grief the wildlife was so numerous and varied - even saw a black bear! - but at times it was tricky maneuvering and anticipating which way the deer and rabbits were going to dart.

The ride(s) was (were) good. :) I am as confident and comfortable on the bike as I have ever been, but I've still got a way to go.....I mean, you won't be hearing me shout, "look at me, no hands!" any time soon. And my ability to climb is improving, however I am still a crap descender - riding the brakes, tensing up, white knuckling - but it's better than it was. One thing I noticed today was how difficult it was for me to shift to the big ring up front. :confused: I have been pretty much exclusively cycling in the small ring up front to improve my cadence, but I decided I wanted to pedal like the big boys on a nice, gradual-ish downhill, however I was barely able to shift to the big ring up front - it was too hard. I'm not sure if I need to have my bike looked at....or if my hand was too tired at that point in the ride (2.75 hours in)....or if I need to shift to an easier gear in the back before I shift the front ring....or if I'm just a weakling who needs to eat more spinach?? Hmmmm. Any way....here's my Garmin link:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/540905927

Actual ride: 57.54 miles in 3:23:29 for an average speed of 17 mph and elevation gain of 2,946 feet

Swim

Just a late-in-the-day legs and body loosener to make all right with the world.

Actual swim: 1,200 loosening yards

Monday, July 14th, 2014

Run plan: 3 miles recovery, 6 miles easy

Well....back to a "normal" week for training. I like routine...I like familiarity and repetition. I totally enjoyed the 5 days of training camp and think it was beneficial in so many ways, but I'm also glad I'm back to my rhythmic rut. ;)

The first run was done sneaky lunchtime style under the hot, hot, hot sun in the field. Blech. Thank goodness this was a nice recovery run, otherwise it could have been quite ugly. It's never a good sign when I'm wishing for rain to cool me off. Legs felt quite heavy, but I suppose that's to be expected after yesterday's bike ride. 3.5 miles

The second run was done after work in the post-thunder-storm-steamy-hot field. Blech. The only thing the storm did was turn up the already uncomfortable humidity. The legs still felt quite heavy for this run, but I kept telling myself that running (even slowly!) on tired legs would benefit me down the road. So slowly but surely I kept trotting along...embracing the heat, the tall grass, and the slight fatigue. 6.3 miles

Actual total run mileage: 9.8 miles in the hot, steamy field

Swim

I wore a new two piece tri suit to try it out....and it was fine on the run, but I could feel drag and weight on the swim. ?? I'm still learning about triathlons and all its moving parts....so I assume I'm supposed to swim in it. ?? But based on this first trial swim, I won't be wearing it on the swim without a wetsuit (or speedsuit?) over it. The swim itself was a nice, short recovery swim.

Actual swim: 1,200 dragging @ss yards ;)

Tuesday, July 15th, 2014

Bike

Just when I'm getting all comfy cozy on my Mad One (aka, the Madone), it's time to blow the cobwebs off the Black Cat (aka, the Speed Concept) and start from scratch....again. Ugh. And wow, I had forgotten just how frickin' different the two bikes are....in just about every respect. The Black Cat is smaller, much more precise, the gears are "closer", the pedal revolution is "tighter", my body position is much more foreward, the leg position feels like it starts at 2 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock....and then there's the electronic shifting, which is super dreamy for a lazy shifter like me. :) And it felt like I was using some muscles that I don't rely on as much on the Mad One, which exposed a bit of a weakness and another reason I need to get the Black Cat out on a regular basis. I was, however, pleasantly surprised at how it responded to the few hills I did - was a bit concerned as it is heavier than the Mad One. But, I will note that the tighter gearing (pardon me if I am using incorrect terminology - I'm still learning) meant that I couldn't spin quite as fast and easy as I can on the Mad One. Wow. Much work to do to get comfy cozy on the Cat.

Here's my Garmin link - I'm fairly happy with the data as I was pretty conservative and cautious today (oh, it was raining for part of the ride). My power is shocking, but I can't worry about that right now.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/542240993

Actual bike: 16.9 miles in 59:35 for an average speed of 17 mph done sneaky lunchtime style

Swim

Ah....this was my first proper swim session since tri camp...done post work in the spitting rain.

1,000 yard warmup
    30 x 100 yard on 1:40 - hold between 1:15 and 1:20
    400 yard cool down

No too much to say about this session other than the body felt pretty good and I stayed within the target range for the 100s. I'll admit the first few 100s were borderline 1:15 :o, but after 3 or 4 of them I settled into an even pace of 1:18 to 1:20. These were very manageable for the first 20 or so, but I was definitely working harder to stay on pace for the last 6....however, I dug a little deeper on the final 100 and came in bang on 1:15, so I felt that was a success.

Actual swim: 4,400 welcome back yards

Wednesday, July 16th, 2014

Swim

A nice sneaky lunchtime swim to shake out the frustrations body. ;) These easy/recovery swims are my opportunity to think about my stroke and make sure I'm not taking short cuts or getting sloppy. Quality and valuable time, if you ask me. Plus, I enjoy them. :)

Actual swim: 2,000 yards at the noon hour

Run plan: 12 miles, alternating 1 mile easy, 1 mile steady

There was a break in the weather today, so by the time I got home from work it was actually quite pleasant for the middle of July. Yay! And this was a nice little session done field-style - I loved the alternating easy/steady miles. I decided to just let the body decide the easy pace, and I settled on an 8:10 to 8:30 pace for the steady, with my eye firmly on 8:15. All I can say about this session is: Dory can do discipline. :D Okayokayokay, so I went faster than my range on my final steady mile, but that hardly counts! And yes, the last half of this session required more effort than the first half (just look at my easy splits!), but it was a quality session all the same.

Splits, easy/steady:
    9:14, 8:19, 9:10, 8:16, 9:06, 8:14, 9:19, 8:13, 9:22, 8:11, 9:40, 7:58

Actual run: 12 miles in 1:45:11 for an average pace of 8:46 min/mile

On a side note - I'm watching the Tour, and boy oh boy, how about that Andrew Talansky? Not sure I've ever seen a rider in the Tour wiping tears away from his eyes as he's pedaling all alone on his bike after a roadside chat with his coach, and dealing with demons and back pain. Courage, bravery, determination. Class. I will think of him every time I want to quit.

Thursday, July 17th, 2014

Bike

It was me and the Black Cat doing it sneaky lunchtime style in the glorious sunshine. :) And today's ride on her was better than Tuesday's ride as I was more comfortable and not so white-knuckling-stressed. Progress! But, I was not comfortable enough to grab a bottle and drink while pedaling....so....I have some work to do yet! I did the exact same ride as Tuesday, and my speed was up. Again, progress. Fingers crossed that as I gain confidence and comfort, the speed (and power?) will keep improving. Whoop whoop!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/543524193

Actual bike: 16.91 miles in 57:57 for an average speed of 17.5 mph

Swim

Holy mackerel this was one tough little session!!! My head was barely in it - I think for some reason knowing I had 4 sets to do seemed like SO much more than only having 3 set to do and it was messing with my head - but once I got going, I channeled my best Andrew Talansky and kept moving forward best I could. Here's what I did:

800 yards warm up - second 400 faster than the first 400
    4 sets of - (4 x 100 yards on 1:30 (target 1:20), 2 x 200 yards on 2:45 :eek:), 2 minutes rest
    200 yards cool down

Highlights:
    Set #1 - 100s in easily between 1:15 and 1:20....200s in on 2:38, 2:40
    Set #2 - 100s in on 1:18 to 1:20....200s in on 2:40, 2:40
    Set #3 - 100s in on 1:18 to 1:20.....200s in on 2:40, 2:45
    Set #4 - 100s in on 1:20, 1:20, 1:21, 1:22.....200s in on 2:38, 2:45

Very tough session - effort increased with each passing set, and I had to keep reminding myself to settle down as I have this natural urge to employ the kick too much when doing these distances, and all that does is use too much energy and tire me out. I can hold pace much better and longer if I make it all about the upper body, stay relaxed, and breathe every 2 strokes. !!!!!

Actual swim: 4,200 hard working yards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

.......and breathe every 2 strokes. !!!!!

:eek: and here we all are trying to breath bilaterally just to be like you

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    :eek: and here we all are trying to breath bilaterally just to be like you

;) No worries, I still breathe bilaterally plenty, and so should all of you!

But as I am learning about sustainability and proper pacing of longer distances, I am realizing/appreciating the importance of oxygen...and I am reminded that (for me) there is no need to limit or deprive myself of it from the first stroke. Therefore, when I'm pushing a quality session like I pushed last night with its purpose to be swimming 3,200 yards at a steady pace of 1:20/100 (as opposed to its purpose being sprinting individual 100s), I breathe every two...or sometimes I breathe 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3, or some variation of that. But on the other hand, if I'm warming up, cooling down or swimming long with no tight time goals, then I'll just naturally breathe every 3. And of course if I'm sprinting short distances, then it's all about holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

;) No worries, I still breathe bilaterally plenty, and so should all of you!

But as I am learning about sustainability and proper pacing of longer distances, I am realizing/appreciating the importance of oxygen...and I am reminded that (for me) there is no need to limit or deprive myself of it from the first stroke. Therefore, when I'm pushing a quality session like I pushed last night with its purpose to be swimming 3,200 yards at a steady pace of 1:20/100 (as opposed to its purpose being sprinting individual 100s), I breathe every two...or sometimes I breathe 2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-3, or some variation of that. But on the other hand, if I'm warming up, cooling down or swimming long with no tight time goals, then I'll just naturally breathe every 3. And of course if I'm sprinting short distances, then it's all about holding my breath.

Some great training going on here Dory, and as ever, some great advice. I've started recently to play around with "breathing when needed", as opposed to strictly bilateral every 3. Seems to work well. As with a lot of skills, it seems the best way is to learn the "right" way, and then throw the rulebook out in favour of what works for you.

Friday, July 18th, 2014

Run plan: 3 x (3 miles @ MP, 3 min recovery)

I LOVED this session! Maybe it was the fact that it was a really nice evening outdoors tonight...or possibly that I physically felt sound and in control...or it could have been the magic that comes with things in 3s...or perhaps it was the caffienated gel I took just before this run (even though he has no idea, I credit pgibbo for planting that pre-run gel idea in my head)...but whatever it was, this was perfect. Well, perfect except that I wasn't quite as disciplined as I had intended on being...but this was quite probably the best feeling run I've put down since being injured. :)

Quick recap -
    The first set of 3 miles at MP started out way too fast (was trying to target 7:40 7:50 min/mile for MP pace), then I corrected the last mile in this set, but due to trying to time my quick trip to the loo (yes, I had to go to the loo!) to coincide with my 3 minute recovery, the last bit of the last mile was slow, making the entire mile look slower than it really was....but it's actually bang on the MP target. :o

The second set of 3 miles was as even as they come for me. Faster than I intended MP to be, but I felt fine, so I made the decision that as long as I could hold this pace comfortably, then I'd stay where I was.

The third set of 3 miles was similar to the second set....with the exception that I decided to pretend the last mile of this set was the last mile of a marathon and I opened it up some.

Paces as follows:
    7:28, 7:12, 7:50
    7:29, 7:33, 7:27
    7:30, 7:28, 7:13

Actual run: 9.6 evening field miles in 1:14:51 for an average pace of 7:48 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

due to trying to time my quick trip to the loo (yes, I had to go to the loo!) to coincide with my 3 minute recovery, the last bit of the last mile was slow, making the entire mile look slower than it really was

You know you could have saved those previous few seconds by peeing on the run - this is the triathlon forum after all...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You know you could have saved those previous few seconds by peeing on the run - this is the triathlon forum after all...

Ha!! I set myself up for that one! ;) Very well played! !!!! :D

Sunday, July 20th, 2014

Bike

This was another Sunday long bike ride broken in two by my 2 hour obligation at the clinic this morning. But the truth is, I LOVE getting up early before anyone else is stirring so I can have the whole world to myself. This morning wasn't quite as stellar as last Sunday morning as it was very cloudy and overcast which meant there was no amazing sunrise with amazing shadows cast....however, cloudy and overcast has its own moody and surreal feel to it (especially if you have a wild imagination!) that is quite nice in its own way. Variety...is the spice of life!

I had considered taking the Black Cat on this ride, but it rained all night last night so I was concerned about the slippery roads. And, to be honest, I knew this ride would push the gears available to me on some of the hills I'd be going up - so the Mad One won the honors today. :)

Nothing too crazy about this ride....probably the biggest hazard was all the deer I encountered - early morning is their time to see and be seen! I'm getting pretty good at anticipating their reactions and moves, but I do have visions of being taken out by ballistic Bambi as she darts without warning from the thick woods to cross the road. :eek: Good grief that would make for an interesting log post! This ride was slightly slower than last week's ride, but I'm blaming that on the fact that I did not eat dinner last night and had not had breakfast until I got to the clinic. And, not surprisingly, the post-clinic/post-breakfast part of today's bike ride felt much better than the pre-clinic/pre-breakfast part.

Garmin link:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/545805250

Actual bike: 61.88 miles in 3:42:20 for an average speed of 16.7 mph and an elevation gain of 3,299 feet

Swim

This session was supposed to be done on Saturday, but due to the day conspiring against me, that never happened. :o I rarely miss a session. I do not like missing sessions. And perhaps some would say I should have let this go, but I couldn't. So, I sort of compromised.....immediately post bike ride I rested. Actually, I ate, then rested. And then in the early evening I decided to have a go at this....with a few modifications.

10 x 100 yards on 1:40
    6 x 400 yards on 6:00 - descending 1-3, 4-6...noting time on 3 and 6
    200 yards cool down

The modifications I made were as follows:
    1) Since this was sort of an endurance/recovery swim, and since I swim in a 20 yard pool which means I have to turn around and strain to see the deck clock on every other 100, I decided to make these 13 x 80 yards on 1:20 instead of the above.
    2) After swimming the 13 x 80 yards, it was apparent my legs had today's bike ride in them so I made the executive decision to use the pull buoy instead of just swimming.

And one other important item to note: I wanted to test out my brand new Blueseventy speed suit, so I did. And all I'm going to say on this subject is......OMFG!!!! That's it. That's all I'll say publicly. If you swim with a competitive heart that is full of focus, and if your race is in water that does not allow a wetsuit, run (don't walk) to your nearest Blueseventy dealer. OMFG.

Highlights:
    The 13 x 80 yards all came in between 60 and 65 seconds - kept this relaxed and easy since this was my warmup.

The 6 x 400s pull (descending 1-3, 4-6) came in: 5:25, 5:20, 5:13...5:25, 5:20, 5:04. The very last 400 felt amazing....and my only disappointment was that I did not go a sub 5 minutes for I was secretly targeting that, and I knew I'd be close. (Thank you Blueseventy.) All good. :)

Actual swim: 3,640 speedy suit yards

Monday, July 21st, 2014

Run plan: 5 miles easy, am.....6 miles easy, pm

The first run was done sneaky lunchtime style in unwelcome heat and humidity. Sweating buckets, I did this nice and slow. 7 times plus a little change around the field, and I had my 5 miles in the books.

The second run was done after work in much improved weather, making this one quite a bit more enjoyable than the earlier one. My legs were fairly heavy for the first mile or two, but I kept it easy breezy and like magic, the heaviness lifted and there was joy once again. That always amazes me! 9 times around the field....for 6.3 miles.

Actual run: 5 + 6.3 = 11.3 miles for the day

Swim

I had worn the Speedo under my running duds, so it was a quickie tossing of the sweaty gear onto the pool deck. Just a straight, slow swim....thinking about my stroke and my kick....and conscious of how the water felt around me.

Actual swim: 2,000 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

You seem to be ramping up a bit. What's the next target ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    You seem to be ramping up a bit. What's the next target ?

Hey there! :) My next two events are a century bike ride this weekend, and our local triathlon in August. :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014

Bike

Ehhh....not my best ride, but also not my worst. After a series of mishaps just getting to the bike and then onto the road, my tired legs and I were doing this in the sticky heat, sneaky lunchtime style. I have commited myself to doing all the weekday rides on the Black Cat to get comfortable on her, and so it was the two of us fighting the wind and trying to minimize the white knuckles. I also decided to do a hill section I have not done on her yet because I was afraid I'd not be able to manage the climb with her gearing. The good news is, I managed the climb....the bad news is, I ran out of gears. Ugh. But I pushed and stayed relaxed and breathed in and out. I suppose not a bad thing to have to work it the old fashioned way. And I will have to say, I was then rewarded with a fantastic downhill that felt pretty amazing on her. :)

Looking at the Garmin data I am not surprised at my average speed as I really was tired starting this ride (felt better as it went on)...but I was taken back at the cadence, that it was basically ~10 rpm higher than usual. I suppose that has to do with my crank length being slightly shorter than what is on the Mad One. ?? But overall I'm happy enough.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/547199202

Actual bike: 16.35 miles in 57:07 for an average speed of 17.2 mph

Swim

3 x 400 yards with 30 seconds rest - done as easy, medium, hard
    12 x 200 yards with pull buoy on 2:45
    200 yards easy

Ehhh....not my best swim, but also not my worst. ;) But the fun part was that I used the speed suit again.

Highlights and lowlights...

3 x 400s -
    I totally forgot to look at the clock when I took off on the first 400, so I have no idea what my time was but I went quite easy (and even did a little breast stroke :o). The second 400 was steady and I maintained a bilateral breathing pattern the whole way through - 5:10. The third 400 was all business and felt really good. I was conscious of minimizing my kick (two beat) as I have a natural tendency to kick harder than I should for distances like this, thus wasting too much energy too soon.....and I increased my speed and strength with each passing 100. As far as my time goes, it is possible that I came in just under 5 minutes (4:58/4:59?), but by the time I looked up, lifted the goggles and spied the clock it said 5:01/5:02, so because I did not see the sub 5 with my own eyes, we'll call this last 400 a 5:00.

12 x 200s w/pull buoy -
    Okay...the 200s. !!! These were surprisingly hard! And here I was starting to think I had the world by the @ss every time I had the pull buoy between my legs. Not so. In fact, this set reminded me that my upper body still is my weakness. Basically, I broke these up in my head in groups of three - I do better when things are in threes. The first 3 x 200s were fine - all in on 2:35 to 2:40. The second 3 x 200s were pretty steady at 2:40. The third 3 x 200s is where the wheels started to come off a bit as these came in on 2:45, 2:43, 2:45, so this was pretty much continuous and fairly miserable. Then I dug a little deeper on the fourth 3 x 200s to end on a high note, and these came in on 2:40, 2:40, 2:38.

A couple of thoughts: relieved my third 400 above was faster than the 400 I did Sunday night with the pull buoy as I was starting to worry that I am faster with the pull buoy :eek:......and a bit speechless at how hard the 12 x 200s with the pull buoy were tonight, but that might also be a reflection of the fatigue I felt all day - in fact I was tired enough after the lunchtime bike ride that I wrote to ecoli to discuss tomorrow night's 15 mile run. But all thing's considered, not a bad session. I worked hard, and no matter the time results, that's really all you can ask of yourself.

Actual swim: 3,800 yards

Advertisement