Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sunday, June 29th, 2014...Part II

I resisted the urge to do an evening swim, but rather I dabbled in a little yoga, Sally squats and foam rolling. Felt a little guilty about doing so little today, to be honest (plus what I did do was such poor quality)...but my need to "...rest up today, get in some good food and recharge the batteries and fuel stores..." was reinforced...and, as I'm learning, doing those things is every bit as important as training, for when you are depleted, you cannot perform...as proven this morning in the pool.

Monday, June 30th, 2014

Run plan: 3 mile recovery early....5 mile easy late

Is it really the last day of June??? :eek: Good grief, as a kid we always felt the 4th of July marked the halfway point in the summer. Wow.

The first run was a nice, hot sneaky lunchtime little number in the field....and the second run was an enjoyable steam-release from the crappy day I had while brigades of bunnies abounded bountifully in the field bouncing about. (wtf?) Legs are still a smidge tired...I need sleep....but I ate much better today, so there's that. Tomorrow is another day. :)

Actual run: 3.5 miles plus 5.6 miles equals 9.1 total field miles done in two segments

Swim

I. Needed. This.

Actual swim: 2,000 late-evening-while-the-sun-was-setting yards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey Dory, meant to ask you before, how are you finding the garmin vector pedals??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »

Is it really the last day of June??? :eek: Good grief, as a kid we always felt the 4th of July marked the halfway point in the summer. Wow.

tell me about it Dory. had two big races for the summer, now one is done and the other not too far away, and all it's doing is reminding me summer/race season is half way gone. depressing..:(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Some nice training ticking along there DD, and after this camp, I expect you to be raring to go.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey Dory, meant to ask you before, how are you finding the garmin vector pedals??

Ther're grand. They look fab perched on The Black Cat that is setup in my living room on the trainer. ;) Since I was injured several months back, and through my recovery, I have not as of yet taken the Cat back out on the road (been riding The Mad One (road bike - my Madone) exclusively until I am way past re-aggravating the hip flexor), but the handful of times I used the pedals they were great. The one thing I had no idea about was how right leg dominant I am. I would suppose we all have a dominant side, I just never had thought about it before.

But I guess if you are asking me if they are worth the extra money for the information you glean? I am honestly not sure. I don't totally understand training via power (other than I did understand that my lack of my physical power in watts when I was training with it frustrated me and made me feel weak, which was not a positive)....and from my very simple and uneducated perspective all I see at the end of the day that is important is your speed. Speed, which when meaured in distance equals time. Time. In a race, it's about how fast you go, not what power your push. But then again, I haven't a clue about cycling or how to train properly when on a bike. I just know I want to go fast. Eventually.
    mossym wrote: »
    tell me about it Dory. had two big races for the summer, now one is done and the other not too far away, and all it's doing is reminding me summer/race season is half way gone. depressing..:(

Ah, but how exciting that one of your two goal races went SO well. !! Should give you great confidence for the next half of your summer and your next race. :)
    Oryx wrote: »
    Some nice training ticking along there DD, and after this camp, I expect you to be raring to go.

I think this camp will make or break me. 100 mile bike ride this Friday. !!! And the furthest I've ever gone is 60 miles. Yikes!!! I'm giving my derriere a little pep talk....and pampering my lower back a bit. This shall be interesting....in so many respects!!! :eek::D

Where there's no sense there's no feeling. Youll be grand. ;)

Where there's no sense there's no feeling. Youll be grand. ;)

I'll remind my butt, lower back, body and mind of that little slice of wisdom at 4 hours into the ride (should be ~4pm your time!).....however, I suspect I might be cussing you under my breath. ;) I'm not even going to bring up the climbing we'll be doing on this ride!!! OMFG!! I know I've mentioned several times on my log that I think my thighs are going to explode. Well....I think my thighs just might really and truly expode on Friday. Nail in the coffin, baby...nail in the coffin. ;)

I'll remind my butt, lower back, body and mind of that little slice of wisdom at 4 hours into the ride (should be ~4pm your time!).....however, I suspect I might be cussing you under my breath. ;) I'm not even going to bring up the climbing we'll be doing on this ride!!! OMFG!! I know I've mentioned several times on my log that I think my thighs are going to explode. Well....I think my thighs just might really and truly expode on Friday. Nail in the coffin, baby...nail in the coffin. ;)

you'll be fine dory, i'm off on a 111 mile cycle with 10000 other cyclists on saturday. i don;t think the distance will kill me, but some of the crazies on their first cycle might!!

My own mantra for that kind of thing is 'Its only pain, and Im not quitting'. You can borrow it. :P

• Advertisement

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

Bike

Just the usual sneaky lunchtime spin in a swirly combo of head wind and cross wind. Ugh. The only thing I hate more than a swirly combo of head wind and cross wind is a tractor-trailer-going-by-you-very-fast-on-the-highway wind. Double ugh. And between the heat (I was being charbroiled on the black asphalt) and wind, I noticed I was unusually thirsty...thank god for my one small bottle of lukewarm tap water I had with me. !!! :rolleyes:

But overall the ride was fine. Work is absolutely and ridiculously nuts right now so it was a relief to slip out and not be bothered by a single thing for an hour. Oh, and remind me to tell you all about the two dogs I pass each Tuesday and Thursday and the very adorable thing they do. I'll save that cute little story for another day. ;):)

Actual: 16.5 miles in 59:27.06 for an average speed of 16.7 mph and an average cadence of 79 rpm

Swim

1,000 yards warmup easy, w/the last 200 at 90%
    20 x 100 yards w/pull buoy on 1:30...done as 4 sets of 5 x 100 w/1 min rest between sets
    400 yards easy

After Sunday's busted swim, I really wanted this to be of much better quality....and I think it was. I'm not jumping up and down and shouting "look at me, look at me", but it was a consistent set of 100s done with control. I took the first 100 out way too fast (sub 1:15 :o), but I immediately recognized the flaw in that approach with respect to the purpose of this session, so I settled all the rest down to a more manageable and sustainable 1:20ish pace. Not much else to report. Whoop.......whoop.

Actual swim: 3,400 yards

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

OMFG!!!

This just in.....

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

....10,500 feet (3,200 meters) of climbing on the bike on Friday!!!!!!!! Oh, the thighs are going to explode for sure. !!!!! So, not only will I be cycling 40 more miles on the Mad One than I've ever cycled before :eek: ...but now I'll be climbing about 7,800 more feet than I've ever climbed before. !!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: Oh god....and then there is the downhill. My poor brakes.

The only bit to worry about is the bit Right In Front Of You. :) You're going to surprise yourself and the confidence you gain from it will do wonders for how you train afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I actually like climbing. It's measurable in my head and it's great when you get to the top, unlike a headwind which sucks the will to live out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

There's a perverse enjoyment to be had when your legs are screaming, your heart is racing and you're struggling for breath as you wrestle your bike up a big hill.........and then there's the buzz you get and the sense of satisfaction when you reach the top. Enjoy, you'll love it.

Dory, you;ve 2400km of cycling done this year. that's about double what i had done last year when i did a similar length cycle you're hitting into now. you;re going to be more than fine, head out on it as something to look forward to and you'll enjoy it, dread it and it will become a self fulfilling prophecy

^^^^ Regarding Friday's thigh-exploding bike ride, when I received the response to my inquiry about how much climbing we'd be doing (I was just casually curious), I just looked at the screen on my phone and laughed out loud. I mean, both the distance and elevation gain are so far beyond anything I've ever done before that it's laughable. But, that certainly does not mean I can't do it....and it certainly does not mean I am necessarily dreading it. It's a challenge with very little pressure since it's so deep into new territory for me. It may take me all day, but I'll be giving it my best shot! And I will keep all your words of encouragement close to me on that very long ride to keep me going. :)

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014

There was no sneaky lunchtime anything due to my need to do a few loads of laundry, water the plants, and get a little packing done before I set sail tomorrow.

Run plan: Fartlek, done as 2 miles easy, 3 x (3 min @ MP (7:50), 1 min recovery, 3 min @ HMP (7:30), 2 min recovery), 2 miles easy

Wicked storms were all around us this evening, which made the run a bit moody and "exciting". It also cooled things down slightly, and that was a very welcome relief since today may have very well been the hottest day of the year thus far - it was bloody hot!

The run was fine.....but I honestly did a poor job pacing these 3 minute segments as just about each one I started way too fast and had to slow things down as I neared the end of the 3 minute mark to get the pace closer to the target pace. :o And to be totally honest, there is no way I could run an entire marathon at the pace I was going for the MP 3 minutes, nor could I run an entire half marathon at the pace I was going for the HMP 3 minutes....but it's still early in this post-injury run training, and I was running on lumpy grass, so I'll cut myself a little slack in that respect.

Paces, stated as MP, HMP, MP, HMP, MP, HMP:
    7:42, 7:19, 7:42, 7:19, 7:42, 7:30

Based on the paces above, there is obviously some Garmin imperfections and rounding going on at a shorter distance (distances were ~.39 to .42 miles), but it does reflect accurately that the very last 3 minutes at HMP were the toughest for me. The previous paces were all a bit too fast (ugh, still trying to learn!!) which may have contributed to last one being "on target" instead of 11 seconds faster as the previous two HMP were.

Actual run: 7.33 miles in 1:05:19

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014

Triathlon Camp, Day 1

Today was just an easy day here in Charlottesville - the kickoff to these next 4 days started off this evening at 5pm with an easy hour long trot around the town, including some of the grounds of the University of Virginia. There were only 6 of us for this run - three participants and three "coaches" - but the conversation was good and everyone was really nice....and there's nothing like individualized attention! I guess with numbers this low I should be getting my money's worth! Tomorrow's ride should see a few more people for it, but it will still be a small group of us chugging up the mountain. I have no idea how long this will take me tomorrow - I'm just going to pace it easy and hope I'm back by nightfall! ;)

Actual run: 6.64 easy miles about town in 1:00:25 for an average pace of 9:06 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck with the epic bike ride!! Enjoy :cool:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the epic bike ride!! Enjoy :cool:

I'm so excited I could just vomit. ;) Thanks!!!! :)

I'm so excited I could just vomit. ;) Thanks!!!! :)
    Hopefully you wont revisit that feeling (minus the excitement) later. :P

Friday, July 4th, 2014

Triathlon Camp, Day 2 - Da Bike!!!!

:D

So what was all the fuss about?? There were hills (including one 8 mile stretch of basically constant climbing :eek:), some 100+ miles of road, insane wind (thank you catweazle for jinxing me here with the wind! :mad:), a fricking crazy dangerous (by my standards) descent that I can't believe I did (think hairpin turns on rutted asphalt with traffic whizzing by you at 55 mph! :eek:), gorgeous views, good conversation, and lots of food in tiny packages that you squeeze into your mouth. You don't even need to chew! ;)

Okay, so it's done - a 100 miler is now in Dory's book. Whoop whoop! And honestly it was not bad at all. Even my back and derriere held up pretty well. There were 11 of us total on this ride, and it sort of broke into 3 groups - one group per "coach" - and I was in the middle group with 5 riders in it (well, we did lose one when his tire blew (twice) and he lost his chain). The gal who lead our group was super - her name is Leslie Dimichele and she was a bundle of energy and enthusiasm, and she knows her sh*t when it comes to cycling. She's a three time Kona finisher, with her best finish last year coming in 4th in her age group with a sub 10 hour time. She's a crazy descender...and I tried to watch her body position on the bike (when she was still in my sight!). She gave us cues of what to do when, and she tried to get us to stay off our brakes as much as we could. She was great, and I really tried to learn from her.

My Garmin lost battery power after 85 miles so my Garmin file is incomplete, however, one of the guys confirmed that we cycled 103 miles. I'm not so sure about the elevation gain, though. I would imagine there is some margin of error for Garmin elevation, but based on what I see on my Garmin file and my gut about the last 18 miles, I'd say my Garmin would have calculated ~7,800 feet (2,377 meters) of climbing, and not the 10,500 feet our trusty leader stated several times. :confused: Any way, it doesn't really matter I suppose....what does matter is it's done and I am in one piece and feeling fine. I'm sure it helped me that we had 4 water stops and that we paced really conservatively. This was a good ride - wind, hills, insane descent and all - this was really good! :)

http://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/activity.faces?activityId=534535818&actionMethod=page%2Factivity%2Factivity.xhtml%3AuserSwitcher.switchSystem&cid=4548366

Actual bike: 103 miles!!!! Woo hoo!!!! :D

July, 5th, 2014

Triathlon Camp, Day 3 - bike, swim, bike, run, bike

Okay...so twice now I've written basically a complete and thorough accounting of the day's activities, and twice now I have lost the entire thing. !!!! :mad: So, here is the really condensed version:

We rode 30 miles to the pool.

The pool is a very cool 150 meter pool (yes, 150 meter pool!) that is spring fed, very cold, very murky, and has slimy little creatures swimming around in it with you. We did a warmup, some drills, some sighting, some drafting, some pretend bullying at a simulated OW start, and then 6 x 300s. I'll estimate we swam ~3,000 meters in all.

Back on the bikes to pedal the 5 miles to the run start.

The run was on a very hilly gravel road that was fortunately generously shaded as it was sizzling hot out at this point in the day. I was not feeling the love at first for this run, but once I got going the legs started to feel a bit of joy, and I was able to increase the pace as I went along, making the final mile my fastest of the day. :)

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/535180019

Then, one more time on the bike to finish the day. 8 miles back into town, including a near miss to my head when, as we passed a golf course, a golf ball went whizzing by. :eek: Funny, I heard the golfer shout something just as the ball rocketed by me but I hadn't a clue what he said. Obviously, he's a crap golfer. !!!

Some housekeeping notes: I'd post my Garmin bike file, but I forgot to start/stop it several times along the way so it's not exactly accurate...but I had my cheap bike computer going so that's how I tracked the mileage today. And, I think I have some saddle sores. :( I consulted our resident Ultra-IronHoochie about this and she's given me her two cents on the topic. ;)

Actual for the day: bike, 43 miles....swim, 3,000 meters....run, 7.84 miles

Sunday, July 6th, 2014

Triathlon Camp, Day 4 - bike...then 100 x 100s in the pool

The ride this morning was just a short little spin to shake out the legs from the previous days' adventures and to prepare us for our long afternoon immersed in chlorinated water. :eek: The ride itself was really quite nice - through town and out to the country, on winding roads and up and down some manageable hills - the 7 of us chatted and laughed and shared stories along the way under a glorious morning sun...and before we knew it, our 20 miles was completed!! :)

Then, after a short break to grab some breakfast and take a quick little nap :o, it was off to the pool donning my brightest, most perkiest Speedo I have in my arsenal of suits. :D We split off into 3 groups, each having their own variation of 100s to do depending on their level of ability. I was in the lane with the Kona girls - our trusty camp leader, Alyssa Godesky, and my fave bundle of camp energy, Leslie Dimichele. :) Our 100 x 100s were as follows:

10 x 100, off 1:35
    10 x 100 done as 25 fast, 75 easy, off 1:35
    30 x 100 done as 5 x (3 off 1:25, 2 off 1:20, 1 off 1:15), no rest between sets, and done with paddles
    3 x 100 kick w/ 10 sec rest
    10 x 100 with a band, off 1:35
    30 x 100 with pull buoy, off 1:30
    5 x 100 done as 25 fast, 50 easy, 25 backstroke, off 1:30
    2 x 100 kick

Some quick notes about the swim:
    All sets were made.
    I do not like using paddles, and by the last 100 of using them I could tell my right shoulder was not feeling the love.
    I honestly can't remember if or when I've ever used a band before, but they are "different" to use. I found I naturally started to do a bit of a dolphin kick with it....I guess to keep my lower body up. ??? Perhaps that's cheating?? But I saw both of the girls doing it, so, when in Rome.... ;)
    The 30 x 100s after the band set were actually supposed to be with paddles, band and buoy...but after doing the first 100 of this set with the paddles, band and buoy I knew it was not a good idea for my shoulder (see above reference), so I chucked the paddles and the band and just did this set with the buoy.

Any way...as I said, all targets met and it was fun doing this with company. It's not a session I'd like to revisit any time soon, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought it might be. :)

Actual for the day: 20 miles on the bike....10,000 yards in the pool

Tomorrow is my final day here. All that's left now is just a 2-3 hour run in the morning. Whoop whoop! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What?
    What?
    What?

As in 10,000 'yards'?

What?

What?
    What?
    What?

As in 10,000 'yards'?

What?

Yep. ;):)

You told me about the swim while I was on the bike and I thought I had read it wrong.

I know you could do it but youre a damn fish. How in the name of god, or why, did normal people do it?

You told me about the swim while I was on the bike and I thought I had read it wrong.

I know you could do it but youre a damn fish. How in the name of god, or why, did normal people do it?

I'm not totally sure this session is for "everyone"....and not everyone here did it. What is it's value?? I suppose it has some value with regards to endurance, pacing, stubbornness, hating life at certain points in the swim but not stopping or giving up.....however, all of those things can be tested and improved up in much shorter sessions as well. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

But, why?!
    and, how long did it take?

Advertisement