Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiz Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A lot of well ran quizzes now put zip lock bags on the tables and every participant has to put their phone in the bag. and the bag is left on the table.

People who use smart phones at quizzes are a lower form of intellect than mongs who know nothing.

I always keep a spare in my quiz turban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

The Chaser is gone from ITV as of last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Snakeblood wrote: »
    WHAT ARE THE 39 STEPS?
    The 39 Steps is an organisation of spies, collecting information on behalf of the foreign office of

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tony007 wrote: »
    The 39 Steps is an organisation of spies, collecting information on behalf of the foreign office of -BANG -croakkkkk

fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Lollers wrote: »
    Are any of you good at quizzing. I would have posted on the the quiz thread, but none visits. I watch Pointless, and University Challenge.

Do you any of you ?

Yes, what do you want to know? if google can't give you the answer I probably will not know either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Phone a friend.

hondasam wrote: »
    Yes, what do you want to know? if google can't give you the answer I probably will not know either.

Are you good at quizzing ? No you are not. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Aye, I used to be a dab hand at the quizzes but never quite happened for me...

Started in primary school, very promising from an early age - won a few local & classroom events - drafted onto the school's Credit Union team, youngest at the time I believe. Held my own that year, and subsequently carried the team in later years, winning the early rounds easily but falling at the penultimate hurdle. I suppose the early fame changed me, was it the drugs, girls, extra milk portions at lunch time? Guess I'll never know given what happened next.....

Got to secondary school, dreams of the big league. Ray D'Arcy & Blackboard Jungle was the goal.....but no...my dreams snatched before me. This wasn't a "quiz school". Any non-sporting extra-curricular activities frowned upon, I pleaded my case - Y'know I would have carried that team along as I had many many others. To no avail and so my flame was extinguished.

By the time I got to university I had become embittered and hardened with grief. Quizzing held no joy anymore and I shunned any attempt by friends to invite me onto pub quiz teams - too many painful memories I said.

A cautionary tale, perhaps, but one with a happier ending. A few months back I succumbed and agreed to take part in a table quiz with work colleagues. We didn't win and I didn't get everything correct, however it was fun and I barely thought about the previous glories snatched from me. Small steps they say. Now I find myself watching University Challenge, firing off answers and shouting at Jeremy Paxman to hurry up. I'm going to start a postgraduate course soon so this could be my big opportunity, my chance at what was denied me so many years ago.....what will I make of it this time??? Only time will tell........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love them and always have from a young age. The pub quiz's though as someone has mentioned have descended into farce with people using their phones etc or just blatantly copying other teams answers.

However they are quizes run for the purists around my area. Serious affairs with decent prizes on offer like 50euro cash for each team member.:eek::D
    Strict rules are applied and all electronic devices have to be surrendered before the commencement of questions.

Sorry can you repeat the question, I don't understand

• Advertisement

Phone a friend.

I think I just won the bonus question.

18,000 + posts well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If quizes are quizical, what are tests?

Testing

Dotrel wrote: »
    It's kinda funny how general knowledge (and learning in general) used to have a bit of value. But since the advent of mobile phone technology most people are happy to know nothing first hand and consult the net when they need an answer for something.

Sad but true.

I like Eggheads, Kevin is a genius. Many of time I've seen him win 1 against 5 no bother at all.

Phone a friend.
    18,000 + posts well done

Are you good at playing nice? No you are not. Thanks.

I like Eggheads, Kevin is a genius. Many of time I've seen him win 1 against 5 no bother at all.

The boul' Kevin knows his sh1t

hondasam wrote: »
    Are you good at playing nice? No you are not. Thanks.

I Apologize.

Is anyone up for taking on the power of the iphone in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Love quizzes. I've an eidetic memory so i've a bit of an unfair advantage as i retain the most useless shíte in my head. I love reading trivia and useless fact books too so that helps. I'm hopeless when it comes to anything to do with music or most pop culture. General knowledge and films would be my strong points. Haven't took part in a quiz in a good while though.

I challenge you to an English quiz!

• Advertisement

Yep Kevin is some brain alright.

Needs to be with some of the others on that team. Do CJ and Judith still be on it. They were pure muck sometimes.

Have a soft spot for Daphne though - she's razor sharp for her age.

Paxman can be a bit sneering. But the odd drunk time, I like to convince myself that I know more than some of the students from Cambridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Dotrel wrote: »
    It's kinda funny how general knowledge (and learning in general) used to have a bit of value. But since the advent of mobile phone technology most people are happy to know nothing first hand and consult the net when they need an answer for something.

I have heard that kind of carry-on being called "quiz doping". Mobile phones have single-handedly ruined quizzes. As for Kevin Ashman, he is a four-time world individual quiz champion. That says it all!

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Needs to be with some of the others on that team. Do CJ and Judith still be on it. They were pure muck sometimes.

C J and his rolling eyes are offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I'm pretty good at quizzing, I think. Love watching quiz shows. Would love to go on something like Pointless or Eggheads some day.

Yeah they both still are on it, Daphne would be the 2nd best. There is an Irish guy on it now too that isn't bad.

Some of the answers Kevin digs up in the sudden death rounds are ridiculous. You can't helping laughing how good he is!

There is an Irish guy on it now too that isn't bad.

He is Pat Gibson, another winner of the top prize in the UK version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

Yeah they both still are on it, Daphne would be the 2nd best. There is an Irish guy on it now too that isn't bad.
    Was he the guy who won Mastermind a few years back?

Edit: Obviously not, thought there was an Irish winner of Mastermind about 5 years ago.

Was he the guy who won Mastermind a few years back?

Edit: Obviously not, thought there was an Irish winner of Mastermind about 5 years ago.

Yes it was. He won it in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I am the king of table quizzes, I've never lost one.

I know feck all about sports though, so when I watch Pointless I get tripped up by one feckin category over and over.

Advertisement