Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports and Fitness Show RDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

I only heard about this today too. Looked up the site and ironically saw this..
    Our comprehensive, focused and integrated marketing and advertising campaign will ensure maximum exposure for the event and sponsors alike.

Having looked at their exhibitor list there's not much that would drag me down to it to be honest, but as with you, I'd like to hear what people thought of it if they make it today?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cmyk wrote: »
    I only heard about this today too. Looked up the site and ironically saw this..

Having looked at their exhibitor list there's not much that would drag me down to it to be honest, but as with you, I'd like to hear what people thought of it if they make it today?

Not even "Cave Man Super Snacks"?

At least there is one decent gym exhibiting, Ironside.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Not even "Cave Man Super Snacks"?

At least there is one decent gym exhibiting, Ironside.

Yep, you've picked the two that jumped out at me...heard good things about ironside, but I have a gym I work/train from so I'm not in the market for joining a gym, would like to drop in and visit the place though. As for the other...I've tried the biltong beef jerky and it's like chewing on phone cable so it alone wouldn't drag me down. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

At the very least, it would be a good place for fellow Boardsies to meet up and have fun asking challenging questions of some of the more nonsensical exhibitors there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Only heard about this today too. Gonna buzz down tomorrow or Sunday and check it out. Only down the road from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Was down earlier, not much there, worth going down to do the high jump at the ironside stand though. Just don't get kicked out of the art fair going on next door like I did :/

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Sure it'd be wrong not to support something fitness based on in the RDS. If we don't go this year, it may not be there next. I've printed off my free facebook ticket, head down tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Gonna head down and have a look on the 6th, I'd of expected at least some of the big boy nutritional companies to have a stand....? Not one of the Top 5 are there! Odd considering how many now have Irish bases and local staff.

Well its the first year, might as well support it so as that, it may become a feature next year. Anything has to be better than rude health hippy fair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I went down for the look but it wasn't great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

It would be great to see you guys down there. Anyone who comes in we will throw a can of monster and a weeks free membership just to get people down and support the first year of a Irish run expo. Hopefully that will encourage it to be bigger and better next year and encourage the big boys to come and make it worth peoples while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Was down earlier today, wasn't too much going on at the time. Ironside stand was the best looking and the most interesting, at least in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Was down earlier today, wasn't too much going on at the time. Ironside stand was the best looking and the most interesting, at least in my opinion.

Presumably just talking to Dave will add at least 40kg to your max bench! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭COH

I went down for the look but it wasn't great to be honest.

Details?

I was going to head down tomorrow

COH wrote: »
    Details?

I was going to head down tomorrow

I'm going to head down tomorrow too, if nothing else to support the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I think the show could have been promoted a bit better - perhaps tie this in with an actual fitness event like the nabba show or similar.

I cannot make it but if someone is down will you take a few pictures?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

yeah gonna have a look tomorrow - if people support it hopefully it can get better each year.

daveyc21 wrote: »
    It would be great to see you guys down there. Anyone who comes in we will throw a can of monster and a weeks free membership just to get people down and support the first year of a Irish run expo. Hopefully that will encourage it to be bigger and better next year and encourage the big boys to come and make it worth peoples while.

That's awesomely generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

That's a fantastic offer Dave. Now could you please open up another Ironside on the Northside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Didn't make it down, but would of liked to have gone. I didn't see anything about it advertised. Next year get on the case a bit earlier saw no advertising or promotions for it.

Get a few of the big companies on board early.

Wanted to go down and avail of Ironside's deadly offer today. Ended up sick in bed for the entire day. Loada gash. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭COH

The expo was craaaaaaaap

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

That's a fantastic offer Dave. Now could you please open up another Ironside on the Northside?

You could call it Nironside...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

COH wrote: »
    The expo was craaaaaaaap

told ya

This was such a shame. It had bags of potential, and for a first show it was in the right hall, if they'd managed to fill it a bit more. Footfall was terrible, I had thought it was just because it was Sunday afternoon, but turns out I knew someone running a stand and was like that all the way through. The promise of an anchor exhibit such as Nike/Adidas had been promised by the organisers apparently, and was the only reason she took a stand.

Tried to get a chat with lads from ironside, but in fairness they seemed to have a few enquiries every time I came around, so I hope it at least paid off a bit for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

They tried to run this last year and got nobody.
    I will be surpised if Stuart gets any returning companies next year with minimal footfall despite giving away tickets for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Location was bad from my point of view. Anything that involves hassle or paid parking in Dublin CC is asking too much. These expos need be held in some out of town retail park or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

cmyk wrote: »
    This was such a shame. It had bags of potential, and for a first show it was in the right hall, if they'd managed to fill it a bit more. Footfall was terrible, I had thought it was just because it was Sunday afternoon, but turns out I knew someone running a stand and was like that all the way through. The promise of an anchor exhibit such as Nike/Adidas had been promised by the organisers apparently, and was the only reason she took a stand.

Tried to get a chat with lads from ironside, but in fairness they seemed to have a few enquiries every time I came around, so I hope it at least paid off a bit for them.

Yeah It was disappointing as it was a lot of small new Irish owned companies for who the cost of setting up a stand would be a big chunk of their advertising budget for the year. Badly marketed and I think a lot of the big supplement companies etc. were probably not even approached. Sunday afternoon was actually the busiest day which gives you an indication of the lack of promotion by the organisers. We tried our best and will be lucky to cover costs. The only solace for us is we got some useful contacts. Sorry we didnt get to chat cmyk but we will make good on our promise of a free weeks membership and a can of monster for yourself if you want to pop into the gym at any stage. Hopefully that goes someway to making up for it.

Yeah It was disappointing as it was a lot of small new Irish owned companies for who the cost of setting up a stand would be a big chunk of their advertising budget for the year. Badly marketed and I think a lot of the big supplement companies etc. were probably not even approached. Sunday afternoon was actually the busiest day which gives you an indication of the lack of promotion by the organisers. We tried our best and will be lucky to cover costs.

You're kidding? Sorry to hear that.
    The only solace for us is we got some useful contacts. Sorry we didnt get to chat cmyk but we will make good on our promise of a free weeks membership and a can of monster for yourself if you want to pop into the gym at any stage. Hopefully that goes someway to making up for it.

No worries, you're very good. It was more to introduce myself really, but i'll drop out over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

that's a pity alright. Didn't hear or see it advertised anywere else but here.

They had 45k rugby fans in the area on Friday night, i'm sure a portion of them would have been interested and should have been tapped into.

• Advertisement

...and 14,000 people were jogging by a week before, plus 1000's of spectators.

Advertisement