Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever think about your loved ones dying?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I've recently had these vivid thoughts about both my mother and sister dying. I'm not asleep or anything and its reall scary and i have actually started bawling on one occasion.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, but I honestly try not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Death is inevitable. It's part of life. No point thinking about it cause there's nothing you can do to stop it. Think about it too much and it'll consume you. Just relax, and enjoy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

My dad's pretty much on the way out at the moment so it's something that I have been giving a lot of thought recently, don't think there is anything wrong with getting emotional about it, it's one of the hardest things a person will have to deal with in their life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

we all think about it but until it happens you have no idea how you will react.
    Live each day as if it's your last.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"And I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do. I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have psychiatric problems and if I don't get a text back from my boyfriend in a few hours I usually assume he's dead.

I do think about what would happen if family members died too, how I would feel, who would comfort me and what would happen next. Think about it quite often come to think of it....

Anyone want to donate me money for the counselor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

gettn close to about that time.. though my ma's been an ould wan since 34 so hard to tell. how come I'm still practically a boy at the same age, is it we are living longer n all that

as regards to non family a recommendation: Know less people. much easier on your constitution they're likey not as much your friend as you maybe view them, no point in shedding tears like you lost or about to lose. something

Yeh and they're so vivid I can feel it. Not nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I have psychiatric problems and if I don't get a text back from my boyfriend in a few hours I usually assume he's dead.

I do think about what would happen if family members died too, how I would feel, who would comfort me and what would happen next. Think about it quite often come to think of it....

Anyone want to donate me money for the counselor?

https://forums.playfire.com/_proxy/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.titaniumteddybear.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F04%2Fjoker-not-sure-if-serious.jpg&hmac=ddc5ca44acb397f770b85dfe1340bb13

Yes, I think about stuff like that. Like, how will I cope when parent is old and emfeebled or if my siblings died suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

OP, if you're getting the same thoughts frequently, it could be a sign of depression, an anxiety disorder or another mental illness. Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, do go to the doctor.

Hope it stops soon. I've experienced it before and it's a nasty feeling, not nice at all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Yeah sometimes i think about my loved ones dying....i thought i was the only weirdo with these toughts,and that their was something wrong with me:eek:
    Ahhhh good old AH to the rescue again......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

My parents are late 60's so I have realised that they, on average, have only a decade left. That is on my mind. In their 50's or early 60's I didn't think much about it.

( Of couse my grandmother lived to 88, so it could be much longer, but can't assume anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

"And I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do. I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?"
    Floyd fan??. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I've recently had these vivid thoughts about both my mother and sister dying. I'm not asleep or anything and its reall scary and i have actually started bawling on one occasion.

I had similar unsettling and morbid thoughts about my mother when I was around 13 or 14. Maybe it's just a phase that everyone/most people go through, and in my case it passed. Try not to dwell on them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Millicent wrote: »
    OP, if you're getting the same thoughts frequently, it could be a sign of depression, an anxiety disorder or another mental illness. Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, do go to the doctor.

Hope it stops soon. I've experienced it before and it's a nasty feeling, not nice at all. :(
    I have had depression in the past so perhaps that has something to do with it. I really shouldnt be thinking like that im only 21 and my parents are mid 40's aswell.

Sorry if ive made anyone think about their loved ones dying since the thread started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah. Especially when I'm hungover for some reason. Dont know what I'll do when they die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

when someone else stops living, I might actually start living

/ that's awful I wish no-one dead! Don't be puttn words in my mouth ma.. Ideas in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dean09 wrote: »
    Death is inevitable. It's part of life. No point thinking about it cause there's nothing you can do to stop it.

You could say the same for taxes but we're made to think about those all the time =p

I just had to endure a loved one dying tuesday.

I knew the end had been coming for her for awhile.. But I honestly thought she'd live forever.. as childish as that may seem.

I'm trying not to think of anything morbid at all right now, or else.. it will lead to me to break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Yes. I am very close to my Mum and I think about it quite a bit. I remember once someone saying to me "why bother being close to your Mum, she's going to die someday and it'll make it harder for you". I thought it was a dreadful thing to say and before that perhaps I had thought about her being immortal, but it was that comment that really made me think about it.

Even now just writing this is making me teary-eyed as it is just a ghastly thought.

Back in April I was sitting with Mum (mid50s) watching the royal wedding and we were commenting on would Charles everbecome King. I just made a throwaway comment saying "isn't it weird that when William and Kate have a child, I probably won't be alive when they become King/Queen". Just a normal observation - Mum turns to me and said "I probably won't see William take to the throne" -meaning that th eQueen is still going strong and with the longevity of the royal family, Charlie will probably live to a ripe old age - she, was only made small talk, but I burst into tears when she said it -as I think it made me realise she was mortal.

Sad to think about it, but it does make you think and realise you need to cherish people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Millicent wrote: »

Been having those too, occasionally, the feeling you wake up with is hard to shake, scary alright. I think it's a subconscious thought that's already in your head and manifests in your dreams as a lot of people's fears do. Anyway, you're right, mine's anxiety, I do get panicky sometimes.
    Yeah definitely talk about it if it gets worse OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Quite regularly, it freaks me out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

All. The. Time. Only last night I was wondering what the hell I'd do if one of my parents were to pass right now. My head almost exploded with the thoughts of what that would mean.

We lost our brother last year, it was a sudden death. I think about him every day. The entirety of the effect of his death can't be put into words. I cannot bear to think about losing another sibling, but it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

I lost my mother a few years back due to cancer, and to this day it haunts me, the fear of my father passing away is really unthinkable at this stage for me, he's to have a small skin cancer lump removed next week and its bringing everything flooding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I worry about it but try not to think to much about it. I am 34 and have lost a lot of relatives in the last few years but no-one really close. I dread that day. Wish it would never come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

My mam died when I was 11 and myself and all my family have an unhealthy obsession with my dad dying. He's not a healthy man and doesn't look after himself and every time the phone rings, I presume it's a call from home. I already have the plan of how I'm going to get my **** together and get home from Spain to Ireland if (when :( ) it happens.

I have those nightmares too, OP but not so often. As someone said, if it's a regular occurance, get it checked out.

Life is tough for all of us eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I always worried about my mother and father, sadly my fear became reality when they were both diagnosed with cancer around the same time and died within 4 weeks of each other.

Now I worry about my husband, my children, my brothers and their families. I pin my hopes on my parents looking after us from up above.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    My mam died when I was 11 and myself and all my family have an unhealthy obsession with my dad dying. He's not a healthy man and doesn't look after himself and every time the phone rings, I presume it's a call from home. I already have the plan of how I'm going to get my **** together and get home from Spain to Ireland if (when :( ) it happens.

I have those nightmares too, OP but not so often. As someone said, if it's a regular occurance, get it checked out.

Life is tough for all of us eventually.

I'm so sorry for your loss, especially when you were such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I have had depression in the past so perhaps that has something to do with it. I really shouldnt be thinking like that im only 21 and my parents are mid 40's aswell.

Sorry if ive made anyone think about their loved ones dying since the thread started.

Don't be sorry at all. Just make sure you're taking care of yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

kelle wrote: »
    I always worried about my mother and father, sadly my fear became reality when they were both diagnosed with cancer around the same time and died within 4 weeks of each other.

Wow Kelle. That's terrible. I'm so sorry. Tragic part of life but sure, were all here for each other hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

'Yeah sometimes i think about my loved ones dying....i thought i was the only weirdo with these toughts,and that their was something wrong with me...
    Ahhhh good old AH to the rescue again...... '

A post on page 1, so no worries there I'd guess OP.

Advertisement