Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you decorate your cubicle?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

Been in a new job just over a year now and its the first time I've had a "cubicle" style desk. I don't decorate it at all as I couldn't be arsed.

There are people around me though that go to the other extreme - baby pics, family pics, ornaments on desks, posters etc etc. I think they do it to personalise their space or remind them of their family but personally I prefer to keep thoughts of work entirely separate to my personal life!

So question is, do you decorate you cubicle/desk/office and if so, with what? And why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

With the skulls of my victims.

P.S. Your next! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive got Final fantasy characters on my desk....

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

No, couldn't be bothered, think it looks ridiculous. Nobody wants to look at pictures of your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

IrishZeus wrote: »
    So question is, do you decorate you cubicle/desk/office and if so, with what? And why?

Jizz, I love unfiltered internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A few pictures of countryside from home but not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've got a few bits and bobs: a calendar, a tiger cub getting hugged by a baby orang utan, little bits and pieces the gf has given me, and some stickers from bananas I've eaten, let's see we got Chiquita, Del-Monte, BananCo, Gorilla's Choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't decorate my office. I have however been known to decorate certain orifices on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Jaxxy wrote: »
    No, couldn't be bothered, think it looks ridiculous. Nobody wants to look at pictures of your kids.

Perhaps the occupier of the cubicle wants to look at their kids photos....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I hate those pr*cks that decorate a cubicle then expect you to look at their ugly kids for your shift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I hate those pr*cks that decorate a cubicle then expect you to look at their ugly kids for your shift!

You only want pics of good looking kids, eh? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Perhaps the occupier of the cubicle wants to look at their kids photos....

Why? Because they forget what their kids look like during the course of the typical eight hour working day?

Keep it in your wallet or phone!

Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I work with a girl whose desk is overflowing with useless clutter; pink photo frames, teddies, fluffy pen yokes, photos tacked up of a dog that died fifteen years ago... Every available surface is covered. I just think it's a bit juvenile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I used to be against it until finally the drudgery and misery of working in an office got to me and now I've got little laughing Budda statue. If I'm feeling
    p!ssed off, I just look at that fat little smiling fecker and all is well again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I used to have a cubicle and I really wished I had kids so I could put pictures of them over the "Don't forget: you're here forever"sign they put up right in my eyeline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Honestly, amid much crap on my desk is two (stuffed toy) meercats, one Winnie the Pooh, one small Elmo and an Eeyore - O' and a Winnie the Pooh in a Bear costume!
    LOL You'd know I have kids! (not including this big one typing)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I used to have this by my monitor in work along with a packet of Soduko Toilet roll.

Moved departments and just left'em at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I used to have a cubicle and I really wished I had kids so I could put pictures of them over the "Don't forget: you're here forever"sign they put up right in my eyeline.

Just put pictures of other peoples kids over it, I'm sure that will freak them out sufficiently. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I haven't even got a cubicle ;_; just a desk and chair.there's a wall behind my desk,i could try decorate that.i should put up a picture of my boss and throw things at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

See people who never even have so much as a photo hanging up until they
    get married or have kids then all of a sudden theres framed photos in the cubicles :rolleyes: as if they dont remember what the Mrs or Kiddie looks like after being away from them for less than a day.

I've a self confessed Cubicle decorator and look like King Nerd inside in work.
    Its not as bad as it used to be as I recently moved cubicles so a lot of stuff is
    still in cardboard boxes.

I've shooting trophies, a Hand Grenade (inert), Spent smoke grenade and flare cartridge,
    Miniature model guns,
    a Predator Sculpture made from nuts and bolts wielded together,
    I've about 100 25mm Lord of the rings models all hand painted (like the warhammer rubbish) on my cubicle shelf, I've some model castle tower and bridge made from Dental Plaster, a vibration driver unit to turn any surface into a speaker, DVD box sets of old retro stuff like Buck Rogers and Battle star galactica, Books on guns, and dueling with swords, printouts of artwork, photos from my goth days, photos of shooting days out, used to have targets up where I had shot well, fencing photo and airsoft photo, the mandatory argos catalog sits proud on the top shelf, PC, Linux Box, 3 screens an Ipad and sometimes an 18.4inch Laptop, I've a 40mm Anti-Aircraft ammo box down by my feet, Robotech/Macross model, had a
    load of wooden and metal puzzles as well as 2 Rubix Cubes and Rubix magic, spare paint for the models in the drawer, a squash racket, some old media such as reel to reel tapes, 8" floppies, old magneto/optical discs etc,
    a few spare pairs of socks and jeans in case I get wet cycling to work.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My desk is spotless, nothing on it only a phone, keyboard, monitor, little stationery holder, loose change in a plastic cup and that's it!

Only decorating I have done is change my desktop background to "King Kieren" *loveblush* :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yes, with pics of Cristina Vujnich

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya when I was working, I did. I just had a few photos and a calender anything else was important stuff for work so tried not to clutter stuff up too much. Just had photos to remember and keep me sane I suppose if I had a long day at work. Didn't want to over decorate my desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I like a clean tidy work space, no clutter and definitely no pics.
    Family pics at work is just sad, you have kids, great get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The glory hole has a little ring of tinsel around it and the toilet paper holder is picked out in gold leaf but otherwise? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This one from long ago shows what cubicles are for, and they're not for marking your territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rootjuse70

just a few pictures to stop me going crazy. sunset, sunrise and a picture of a lake.

calms me down, relaigns my chakras, my chi and my tao.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

bullets wrote: »
    See people who never even have so much as a photo hanging up until they
    get married or have kids then all of a sudden theres framed photos in the cubicles :rolleyes: as if they dont remember what the Mrs or Kiddie looks like after being away from them for less than a day.

I've a self confessed Cubicle decorator and look like King Nerd inside in work.
    Its not as bad as it used to be as I recently moved cubicles so a lot of stuff is
    still in cardboard boxes.

I've shooting trophies, a Hand Grenade (inert), Spent smoke grenade and flare cartridge,
    Miniature model guns,
    a Predator Sculpture made from nuts and bolts wielded together,
    I've about 100 25mm Lord of the rings models all hand painted (like the warhammer rubbish) on my cubicle shelf, I've some model castle tower and bridge made from Dental Plaster, a vibration driver unit to turn any surface into a speaker, DVD box sets of old retro stuff like Buck Rogers and Battle star galactica, Books on guns, and dueling with swords, printouts of artwork, photos from my goth days, photos of shooting days out, used to have targets up where I had shot well, fencing photo and airsoft photo, the mandatory argos catalog sits proud on the top shelf, PC, Linux Box, 3 screens an Ipad and sometimes an 18.4inch Laptop, I've a 40mm Anti-Aircraft ammo box down by my feet, Robotech/Macross model, had a
    load of wooden and metal puzzles as well as 2 Rubix Cubes and Rubix magic, spare paint for the models in the drawer, a squash racket, some old media such as reel to reel tapes, 8" floppies, old magneto/optical discs etc,
    a few spare pairs of socks and jeans in case I get wet cycling to work.

~B

Somehow I wasn't surprised that you don't have a pic of a girlfriend in all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Yeah I decorate it, I'd go spare staring at grey walls all day (with yellow trim, I hate yellow). I used to have about 20 pictures of cats but then I moved desk and couldn't be arsed putting them up again. Now I have a picture of me and my best friend on her wedding day and one of my boyfriend, right over my monitor to remind me that there are finer things in life than spreadsheets and reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Gizmo
    Spud Trooper
    Darth Tater
    Oscar
    Cookie Monster
    Morph
    Andy (android mascot)
    Unicron
    Rubiks Cube to do & undo when im bored
    Spider and Goomba hanging above the desk.

Nope.Not at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I keep nothing on mine but have to face other people's kids drawings. Sometimes I'm even forced to comment on how their drawing style is "really coming on, I can definitely make out that blue blob is a person."

I should put up a picture of a house or a porche or something to remind me why I come in in the morning.

Advertisement