Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Bike Scheme thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Would the figures have anything to do with the amount of times a bike is removed from the stand?
    *Maybe the lad with the Truckeen is using City Hall as his base for replenishing the other racks?
    *Just speculating.
    I think you could be on the money here! Make's perfect sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the cost involved if all youre doing is these sort of journeys just makes no sense to me. Think id sooner just buy a bike!

What cost?

'Twas a fiver to sign up, and journeys less than 30 mins are free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Why would anyone cycle from cityhall to town, it would take longer to log in for a bike id say.

I did this journey yesterday, picked up a bike at City Hall and cycled into town. Far quicker than walking. Logging in and checking out bike only takes a minute at most. You're in Quay Street in 5 mins, walking you would only be on Forster St in that time. It's a no-brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What cost?

'Twas a fiver to sign up, and journeys less than 30 mins are free.

Thought the fiver was an introductory offer.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I did this journey yesterday, picked up a bike at City Hall and cycled into town. Far quicker than walking. Logging in and checking out bike only takes a minute at most. You're in Quay Street in 5 mins, walking you would only be on Forster St in that time. It's a no-brainer!

Id debate that it takes five minutes to walk from City Hall to Forster St, the rest is fair enough.

• Advertisement

• Thought the fiver was an introductory offer.

The introductory offer was a 5er for 18 months (I think). So if you only use the bike for less than 30 mins at at time you get 18 months use for a 5er.

Its a 10er for a year now as standard, so you get a years use of less than 30mins per time for a 10er.

This is why short trips are particularly popular as if you have signed up already its essentially free to use for these short hops.

Where should the 4 non completed stations be set up?

• Where should the 4 non completed stations be set up?

Definitely should be one at the hospital and one at the entrance to the university or possibly one to serve both. This is really a no brainer of a location imo.

Also I think putting one out the far side of the university near say the nursing building could be handy for students as its a fair walk coming from town all the way to the far end of the university complex.

Definitely should be one at the hospital and one at the entrance to the university or possibly one to serve both. This is really a no brainer of a location imo.

Also I think putting one out the far side of the university near say the nursing building could be handy for students as its a fair walk coming from town all the way to the far end of the university complex.

Was a shame they did not go ahead with the one outside main NUIG entrance. That was a 30 bike docking station. Would have been heavily used IMHO.
    One perhaps on Bohermore and Sea Road/Small Crane area.

• Was a shame they did not go ahead with the one outside main NUIG entrance. That was a 30 bike docking station. Would have been heavily used IMHO.
    One perhaps on Bohermore and Sea Road/Small Crane area.

It's bizzare not putting one at the university, that should be the first place to put one. Was there any reason given why they didn't put one there?

Westside would be another handy location for people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

It's bizzare not putting one at the university, that should be the first place to put one. Was there any reason given why they didn't put one there?

It would have deprived two houses of on-street car parking directly outside their houses. And, it would seem, for people like Councillor Billy Cameron on-street car parking for two houses is far more precious than a viable public transport system for the city.

Edit: I agree that it was a poor location there shouldnt be any obstructions on University road - neither parking nor bike stations but the reasons given for blocking the station were shameful in my view.

It would have deprived two houses of on-street car parking directly outside their houses. And, it would seem, for people like Councillor Billy Cameron on-street car parking for two houses is far more precious than a viable public transport system for the city.
    I am finding this hard to believe as the genuine reason why this was blocked. Often when cycling home late at night from work 23h30/00h30 I don't see any vehicles parked here (at the proposed Docking Station location) at night?
    Was Cllr Billy Cameron approached by Tesco or Ros Geal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

Didn't quite follow the ins and outs of where the stations were to be put, but are people saying here that the location was canned because of the objections of one councillor?

Id debate that it takes five minutes to walk from City Hall to Forster St, the rest is fair enough.

Google maps gives the walking time from City Hall to the end of Forster St as.....wait for it.... 5 minutes! ;)

Google maps gives the walking time from City Hall to the end of Forster St as.....wait for it.... 5 minutes! ;)

And when i walk it takes less than that, imagine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

What was your destination, and your route to get there?

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Yes did you go via Dock Road or via Eglington Street, Nuns Island and Bridge Street?

Or Shop Street, depending on time of day.

And when i walk it takes less than that, imagine!!

Everyone walks at different speeds. Imagine that!

Yes did you go via Dock Road or via Eglington Street, Nuns Island and Bridge Street?

City Hall to the bike station at Earls Island via an errand at Bridge street: I went via Forster st - Eyre Sq - Dock Road - Cross St - Bridge St. - walked along river then to chat to fisherman I know and cycled across Salmon Weir bridge. Much easier and faster with the bike.

Around by the half-built Picture Palace, with Madonna's Bra/Portmore on your left?

• Advertisement

Everyone walks at different speeds. Imagine that!

City Hall to the bike station at Earls Island via an errand at Bridge street: I went via Forster st - Eyre Sq - Dock Road - Cross St - Bridge St. - walked along river then to chat to fisherman I know and cycled across Salmon Weir bridge. Much easier and faster with the bike.

So, wait for it, debating that its five minutes from a-b was correct, who knew! Oh and one of these :rolleyes:.

Around by the half-built Picture Palace, with Madonna's Bra/Portmore on your left?

Madonna's Bra??? I'm intrigued by this!
    I did go by the nearly finished arthouse cinema, yes.

So, wait for it, debating that its five minutes from a-b was correct, who knew! Oh and one of these :rolleyes:.

Being pedantic by saying it's less than 5 minutes based on a sample size of one i.e. you, when the average person takes 5 minutes according to Google... I'd say you lose that debate as well as the "who gives a sh1t?" argument. On that basis, here's some back at ya... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Minister for Transport made the following speech in Galway yesterday.
    http://paschaldonohoe.ie/speech-to-bus-eireann-symposium-galway/
    "
    The Galway Bike Scheme was launched in November 2014. To date, 15 stations have been constructed and at the end of July 2015, the Scheme had 2,151 members and as many as 12,840 trips have been made using the scheme in Galway.

The NTA and Galway City Council have now agreed on the construction of eight additional stations, demonstrating the success of the scheme so far.
    "

He is playing a little fast and loose with the numbers. In reality there is only an additional 4 NEW stations. Originally there was meant to be 19 stations constructed back in November/December 2014 instead of the current 15.
    Regardless this is good news for the scheme. The stations that are used the most to date are on the periphery so any further station expansion will greatly increase trip numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

Wonderful news! I just hope they put 1 or 2 of those in either Salthill or Newcastle or Westside.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Wonderful news! I just hope they put 1 or 2 of those in either Salthill or Newcastle or Westside.....

Indeed! Some across the westside urban centres (and east side as well) would be very welcome.

As it is now the scheme is so small I haven't bothered signing up for it. Getting around town isn't the problem, getting into town is.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

As it is now the scheme is so small I haven't bothered signing up for it. Getting around town isn't the problem, getting into town is.

This!
    It's not unusual that the most used stations are the most peripheral. It means that people coming into town along various routes use a public bike when they can.

It was a great shame that the station near the hospital/NUIG was canned. This was genuinely because Billy Cameron petitioned on behalf of 1 or two residents. I remember reading at the time (City Tribune) the arguments put forward by the offspring of one elderly resident. One was that they would need ambulance access in case of an emergency and another was that it would lead to confusion over bins.
    I assumed they were concerned about resale value or future rental prospects. Maybe I'm just cynical.

cL0h wrote: »
    This!
    It's not unusual that the most used stations are the most peripheral. It means that people coming into town along various routes use a public bike when they can.

It was a great shame that the station near the hospital/NUIG was canned. This was genuinely because Billy Cameron petitioned on behalf of 1 or two residents. I remember reading at the time (City Tribune) the arguments put forward by the offspring of one elderly resident. One was that they would need ambulance access in case of an emergency and another was that it would lead to confusion over bins.
    I assumed they were concerned about resale value or future rental prospects. Maybe I'm just cynical.

Your spot on. The busiest stations have all been on the periphery. The omission of the 30 bike station on University Road near the entrance to the hospital/NUIG has been a big blow to usage numbers for the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭ Sierra Tart Maze

Minister for Transport made the following speech in Galway yesterday.
    http://paschaldonohoe.ie/speech-to-bus-eireann-symposium-galway/
    "
    The Galway Bike Scheme was launched in November 2014. To date, 15 stations have been constructed...

He is playing a little fast and loose with the numbers. In reality there is only an additional 4 NEW stations. Originally there was meant to be 19 stations constructed back in November/December 2014 instead of the current 15.

I have noticed that the bike station at Gaol Road seems to be permanently out of service for the last few weeks. It probably wasn't a great location for it. This brings the number of stations down to 14, rather than the 15 the Minister quoted in his speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

Minister for Transport ............
    "
    The Galway Bike Scheme was launched in November 2014. To date, 15 stations have been constructed and at the end of July 2015, the Scheme had 2,151 members and as many as 12,840 trips have been made using the scheme in Galway.

This = 47 Trips per day & around 6 trips per average customer (total) over the last 9 months. If I was in business I would be packing up & wiping my hands with this appalling figures

• Advertisement

Regardless this is good news for the scheme. The stations that are used the most to date are on the periphery so any further station expansion will greatly increase trip numbers.

I suspect what usually happens in these cases is that the Minister's office approaches the NTA/City council for material to go into the speech. So any claims are coming from those sources rather than the minister.

Advertisement