Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Bike Scheme thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So it's six months since the scheme was launched and only have 14/15 (Mainguard St seems to Out of Order for a while now)stations out of 19.

Will we have all 19 stations opened by the end of 2015?

Well theyve removed any sign that there was one on Augustine St so id rather they not dig up the road again to facilitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not online, no. Not sure comparing the sign up procedure of a bank to those of a bicycle rental company is all that apt though.

A bank is just giving you a place to store your own money.

A bike-rental company is checking to see if you're suitable for them to lend a piece of equipment worth a few hundred euro to - they have to assess the chance that you'll give it back in one piece at the agreed time. Age = personal maturity is an important part of that.

fyi, here's the on-line application for for KBC bank:
    doB.PNG

Arrgh ... that came out a bit smaller than expected. But no prizes for guessing what the yellow form that I've highlighted at the bottom is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

no prizes for guessing what the yellow form that I've highlighted at the bottom is for.

Something like this perhaps? :)
    Are you a: Vandal [ ] Thief [ ] Outlaw [ ] Chancer [ ] ?

Tick all that apply.

Why does giving your date of birth matter anyway, who cares about people or companies knowing it.

Why does giving your date of birth matter anyway, who cares about people or companies knowing it.

Data protection, privacy, identity theft etc etc

Take your pick

• Advertisement

Data protection, privacy, identity theft etc etc

Take your pick

Paranoia maybe?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

How come every thread about bicycles ends up being about the bypass?

Because every thread about cars, the bypass or even someone looking for directions ends up being about bicycles :p

Paranoia maybe?

Not in the least, I simply question the need for certain personal data when I don't see a valid reason for it.

A good example I like to use is phone apps and the permissions they request, e.g. a flashlight app that wants to know your identity, location, contacts and access your messages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Not in the least, I simply question the need for certain personal data when I don't see a valid reason for it.

A good example I like to use is phone apps and the permissions they request, e.g. a flashlight app that wants to know your identity, location, contacts and access your messages.

Or to synopsise, if the app or service you are using is "free", or only costs a fiver, then maybe your personal data is the provider's real "value proposition".

Who is using who?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Does anyone actually use these bikes?
    They had something similar in NUIG and it didn't last long at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Pugzilla wrote: »

The NUIG system was smaller but that or low use was not the reason it for its demise -- the UK company which was contracted to run it had issues of their own and the system suffered because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

If no one used them, the lads with the truck wouldn't need to keep moving them around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

monument wrote: »
    The NUIG system was smaller but that or low use was not the reason it for its demise -- the UK company which was contracted to run it had issues of their own and the system suffered because of that.

As I recall the company providing the equipment for the NUI, Galway "spin" bike rental scheme went out of business.

That said I am not sure that the university was approached to host any coke zero stations on their campus.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

monument wrote: »

Lack of use in NUIG was definitiely a factor in the UK company having financial trouble. I was on campus everyday and Students never really used it. Bit of a gimmick really.

I do, and I think they're great, though I very much doubt I have a noticeable impact on the usage statistics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Misleading article Headline on connachttribune.ie - Bike scheme is not been expanded; it is just been completed.
    http://connachttribune.ie/public-bike-scheme-set-for-expansion-256/

Anybody know what the story is with this station? Still OFFLINE?

From
    http://seankyne.ie/figures-show-healthy-start-for-galway-bike-scheme/

would not agree with the title mind.

In comparison with the figures in May for the other regional cities - the ridership no's in Galway are very poor.

Trips in May 2015
    Cork 24,121
    Galway 1,618
    Limerick 3,228

6.1 hires per member in Galway, 8.3 in Limerick and 18.4 in Cork.

What might explain the difference? One possible explanation is that the Galway scheme was launched in November, which wouldn't be the best time to invite people to start cycling.

Also, the docking station at City Hall accounted for 20% of hires. What's the story there?

I wonder what other ways of analysing the numbers might be useful and interesting?

Incidentally, does anyone know how many bikes are available at each station? At the moment the map indicates 10 bikes and 0 stands at Gaol Road. Does that mean the maximum number of bikes at this location is 10 and that the station is currently full?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think the loss of the docking station at university road is a serious drain on rentals too, not just from students but it would also have served the hospital also. I hope the scheme is expanded, it is too all an area in the city centre, even expand out towards Salthill and the Huntsman.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about where all the stations are positioned in Galway but in Cork there are a lot of stations and they are placed all along busy routes. Like between the train station (which is a lot further out than in Galway city) and the city centre. Multiple city centre locations, the hospital in the city, more than one close to the university and one near the university's sports centre. So I think people are using them for the short hops between town and ucc, town and the gym, coming to from the train station for train commuters, even just getting around in the city.

The fact cork city centre is that bit bigger too probably means people chose a bike more often rather than just walking.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Incidentally, does anyone know how many bikes are available at each station? At the moment the map indicates 10 bikes and 0 stands at Gaol Road. Does that mean the maximum number of bikes at this location is 10 and that the station is currently full?
    Yes that's right. It means the Bike Station is full, cannot drop off a Bike here.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    What might explain the difference? One possible explanation is that the Galway scheme was launched in November, which wouldn't be the best time to invite people to start cycling.

Also, the docking station at City Hall accounted for 20% of hires. What's the story there?

I wonder what other ways of analysing the numbers might be useful and interesting?
    I don't think the November opening is a factor - the other schemes were launched in December.
    Lack of Stations is the main reason.
    Galway and Limerick are good comparisons.
    Limerick has 23 stations. Galway only has 15 (4 still not built).
    As ratracer pointed out earlier, the removal of the planned Station at University Rd (that had planning permission) has created a big dent on numbers. That was to be a 30 Bike Docking Station.

City Hall no's are unusual.

City Hall no's are unusual.

People using them going to the dog track and connacht games?

People using them going to the dog track and connacht games?

It is trips from the City Hall docking station. So perhaps people are using it after going to the Sportsground?
    Is it more plausible that a lot of City Hall employees have signed up?
    Still the no's are strange. Here is why.
    The road outside City Hall was one way outbound for 3 months(April to June), plus this station was one of the last stations to be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

For city hall is it not simply as that's the furthest out of town (East) station so people walk to it and then cycle into/across town?

dinneenp wrote: »
    For city hall is it not simply as that's the furthest out of town (East) station so people walk to it and then cycle into/across town?

Why would anyone cycle from cityhall to town, it would take longer to log in for a bike id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Would the figures have anything to do with the amount of times a bike is removed from the stand?
    *Maybe the lad with the Truckeen is using City Hall as his base for replenishing the other racks?

*Just speculating.

Why would anyone cycle from cityhall to town, it would take longer to log in for a bike id say.

I hear a lot of people saying they are using bikess in cork over short distances, if there are depots on route people are walking they are picking up and dropping bikes even if it's only a few 100 yards between depots so Id say people walking in and getting them into town is a definite possibility.

For instance if you were going from city hall to the quay street area you would save a lot of time on a bike.

• Advertisement

I hear a lot of people saying they are using bikess in cork over short distances, if there are depots on route people are walking they are picking up and dropping bikes even if it's only a few 100 yards between depots so Id say people walking in and getting them into town is a definite possibility.

For instance if you were going from city hall to the quay street area you would save a lot of time on a bike.

Bog all difference timewise considering you would have to go around by the Docks cycling, the cost involved if all youre doing is these sort of journeys just makes no sense to me. Think id sooner just buy a bike!

Advertisement