Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What powers do the Luas ticket inspectors actually have?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irish_d

wait, Captain Assumption - who said that I do not pay if using the Luas or that if i do not pay, that I get caught? your logic is sound except for the fact that is, Veolia-Transdev's strategies in dealing with fare-evaders are naive, at best. the fact is, fare evaders are generally smarter than the inspectors. how have i come to this conclusion? well, i watch and i see them analyse where best to sit and be prepared, should they need to vacate the tram. you can see them scan a platform as the tram pulls in. you can see that they usually do not sit in the middle carriage as that is the one that pulls up to opposite the ticket dispenser. even when the inspectors do not all board at the same door and each board at separate doors, there is still usually only 4 inspectors to cover 6 doors. and usually fare evaders see inspectors coming and are waiting to disembark and what's more, know that they cannot be touched once they exit the tram. yes, if those fare evaders were caught and felt harassed enough to divulge their details under duress, they would probably not try it again. but if they can get away with it, they will get away with it again. but again, you're missing the point here. the point is, society's elite play the working class and the middle class against each other and always have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »
    And a proportion are in nice suits with nice jobs.
    Jonathan Burrows was on about £1m a year when caught dodging fares in the UK.

yes, i recall reading about that. he would have been the exception however.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

irish_d wrote: »
    know that they cannot be touched once they exit the tram.
    The rules have changed to cover this scenario.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

wait, Captain Assumption...

Cut this nonsense out -- by the way, you've have enough warnings, so, infractions are not too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Victor wrote: »
    The rules have changed to cover this scenario.

Can they or do they physically restrain?

An assumption was made about me, Monument. It would seem that you are slightly biased here. Accordingly, I won't be too bothered when I am banned. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

An assumption was made about me, Monument. It would seem that you are slightly biased here. Accordingly, I won't be too bothered when I am banned. :)

No discussion of moderation allowed in-thread. I'm already made that clear.

For the record for other posters: There's no bias, irish_d came here and was refusing to follow the rules from the outset and even after warnings were given and irish_d open that he/she doesn't care about the warnings or the rules (even more so by PM).

We try to give new posters leway but some are intent on causing trouble or having it their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

RainyDay wrote: »
    Can they or do they physically restrain?

This may have changed but technically the Tram and platform are private property. Obviously they allow passengers the right to enter as paying customers but if for any reason you are asked to leave yu will only be asked once. After that they can remove you with force and when the Gardai arrive you can say what you like in regards to being removed by force but the Gardai wont entertain it as you were technically trespassing when you refused to leave.

The rear of the ticket states you that you agree with the by-laws, if not then dont use the service and ask for a refund.

In these Bye-laws - “authorised person” means any officer, employee or agent of an operator acting in the execution of his or her duty upon or in connection with a light railway or any member of the Garda Síochána whose attendance is requested on a light railway by an authorised person;

(7) Where a passenger is found on a light rail vehicle without a valid ticket by an authorised person and the passenger refuses to pay the standard fare immediately, the authorised person may request the passenger to leave the light rail vehicle at the next stop and the passenger shall comply with such a request.

@ Irish_D.....as above I have used the word "you" but in a third person context kind of way. If you get my drift!

This may have changed but technically the Tram and platform are private property. Obviously they allow passengers the right to enter as paying customers but if for any reason you are asked to leave yu will only be asked once. After that they can remove you with force and when the Gardai arrive you can say what you like in regards to being removed by force but the Gardai wont entertain it as you were technically trespassing when you refused to leave.

The rear of the ticket states you that you agree with the by-laws, if not then dont use the service and ask for a refund.

In these Bye-laws - “authorised person” means any officer, employee or agent of an operator acting in the execution of his or her duty upon or in connection with a light railway or any member of the Garda Síochána whose attendance is requested on a light railway by an authorised person;

(7) Where a passenger is found on a light rail vehicle without a valid ticket by an authorised person and the passenger refuses to pay the standard fare immediately, the authorised person may request the passenger to leave the light rail vehicle at the next stop and the passenger shall comply with such a request.

@ Irish_D.....as above I have used the word "you" but in a third person context kind of way. If you get my drift!

I get your drift, but I was really asking the opposite question - can they restrain you if you choose to leave? Let's say you refuse to give your name, or just refuse to engage with the inspector and walk away - can they hold you for the Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I get your drift, but I was really asking the opposite question - can they restrain you if you choose to leave? Let's say you refuse to give your name, or just refuse to engage with the inspector and walk away - can they hold you for the Gardai?

Yes they can arrest you without warrant in circumstances where the authorised officer considers it to be justified, and hold you for the Gardaí if they reasonably suspect you have contravened a bye-law etc.

GM228 wrote: »
    Yes they can arrest you without warrant in circumstances where the authorised officer considers it to be justified, and hold you for the Gardaí if they reasonably suspect you have contravened a bye-law etc.

And do they? Do they physically restrain fare-dodgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

And do they? Do they physically restrain fare-dodgers?

They have the power to, weather or not they exercise that power (or have done so in the past) I don't know.

Advertisement