Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advocates for full marriage equality?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

There's a story in the press today from South Africa, involving a young engaged couple, expecting their first child, who arranged to introduce their respective parents to each other, as is the tradition there.
    They were devastated to discover that they were, in fact, siblings who had been parted in very early childhood when their parents split up, the daughter going with the mother and the son with the father. Both parents found new partners and the children were raised unknowing about their sibling, and only met in university, where they became partners, still not knowing they were related.
    Due to the shock and the familial reactions, not to mention legal considerations, they have decided to part. However, there is still a child due to be born of the union next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

There's a story in the press today from South Africa, involving a young engaged couple, expecting their first child, who arranged to introduce their respective parents to each other, as is the tradition there.
    They were devastated to discover that they were, in fact, siblings who had been parted in very early childhood when their parents split up, the daughter going with the mother and the son with the father. Both parents found new partners and the children were raised unknowing about their sibling, and only met in university, where they became partners, still not knowing they were related.
    Due to the shock and the familial reactions, not to mention legal considerations, they have decided to part. However, there is still a child due to be born of the union next month.

Apparently we're naturally attracted to our family members, but when we are raised in close quarters with people we are much less likely to be sexually attracted to them. So it makes sense that siblings/cousins who don't know each other would be attracted to each other.

They mention that on that blog - genetic sexual attraction. Can't say I've ever experienced anything like that. Then again, perhaps a taboo is bred into us as we grow up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

They mention that on that blog - genetic sexual attraction. Can't say I've ever experienced anything like that.

Maybe your family is too ugly?*

*I'm so sorry, I just had to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

But I draw the line at mothers, sons & daughters marrying each other. That's just pure fucking wrong.

I draw the line at them fûcking each other as well, but that just the view of an old fossil like me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Maybe your family is too ugly?*

*I'm so sorry, I just had to say it.

So you'd find your close blood relatives sexually attractive, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

in all fairness im opposed to any marriage, i think its out-dated and pointless , but I think a lot of gay couples have this image that if the law was changed that theyd be welcomed into the arms of the catholic church and have big fancy weddings like straight couples do, In reality the most they will ever get is the heading on the registry office paper changed from 'civil partnership' to 'marriage'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

in all fairness im opposed to any marriage, i think its out-dated and pointless , but I think a lot of gay couples have this image that if the law was changed that theyd be welcomed into the arms of the catholic church and have big fancy weddings like straight couples do, In reality the most they will ever get is the heading on the registry office paper changed from 'civil partnership' to 'marriage'

There's a difference between marriage and civil partnerships, and it's not just in the title. I'd agree with you when it comes to same-sex weddings in a catholic churches, it's never going to happened unless they're deconsecrated. I'd love the catholic church to be utterly annihilated, but, technically, they're a private organisation, therefore I would recognise their right to discriminate (yes, I believe private enterprise should have the right to choose who their clientele are and/or who they employ). That's no reason not to allow same-sex marriages elsewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't really see why gay marriage is acting as a synonym for incest in this thread?
    As a ghey, I am 100% in favour of same-sex civil marriage being legalised, I am also 100% against incest/polygamy, because of disabilities that children can have out of incestuous sex (also, it's just weird.), and because polygamy encourages male dominance imo, and it's quite de-valuing to women.

Does it? Why couldn't a woman have several husbands?

I really don't like how same-sex, incest and polygamy are thrown into the same bucket here. Regardless where I stand on each of those its not fair on either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mod: Please don't drag up 4 year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement