Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advocates for full marriage equality?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭

The gay marriage discussion is a hot topic on boards as in society currently. But while it's generally presented as an issue of equality, I've recently been introduced to the idea that actually it's an issue of access.

In other words, gay marriage is about permitting same sex couples to access the institution of marriage, not about introducing full marriage equality. How so? Well, because some people are still left out.

Before going any further, I want to say I did think about the correct forum for this, and I didn't think the LGBT, Humanities, Personal Issues or any other forum really encompassed this topic. So, while I know what AH can be like, nevertheless there is a wide cross-section of opinion here and it's just possible that we can get a sane discussion going.

So, full marriage equality is, apparently, the right of people to marry as many others as they like, no matter who they are, so long as everyone is a consenting adult. This 'marriage' mentioned on this activist blog features two women and one man, who also happen to be blood mother, son and daughter.

That's going to trigger an incest taboo for many people, I suspect, but is there actually a legitimate, logical argument against polygamous marriages or consanguineous marriages, if everyone involved are consenting adults who aren't being coerced?

Would anyone here be in support of full marriage equality?

(For the record, it's a few bridges too far for me.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i couldnt give a fiddlers fart as long as they served Irish chicken at the reception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I am completely and utterly opposed to gay marriage.

Kathleen Watkins is a lovely woman and he should be damn happy to have her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

pippa middletons arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

orourkeda wrote: »
    pippa middletons arse

Good point!

I want to legally marry her arse while remaining unattached to the rest of her.

Where's my parade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Gays and lesbians should be allowed the same rights as everyone else, including marriage. There's no logical reason against this.

But I draw the line at mothers, sons & daughters marrying each other. That's just pure fucking wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Gays and lesbians should be allowed the same rights as everyone else, including marriage. There's no logical reason against this.

But I draw the line at mothers, sons & daughters marrying each other. That's just pure fucking wrong.

I agree. But is there a logical argument against it? There's a small risk of genetic conditions if they had kids, of course. But other than that? Like infertile couples they could simply not have kids, or else just adopt.

The activist blog has a list of what it calls discredited arguments, and says that your (and my) disgust is no different from disgust towards gay marriage only a generation ago - that it's just an 'ick' factor, not based on any logic.

For me, the ick wins out, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

But then what would Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer have to shout about? Surely inbreeding is their greatest ally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I can't do any more gay threads, I'm all gayed out.

Kanoe wrote: »
    I can't do any more gay threads, I'm all gayed out.

coo eee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Some choice exerpts from that blog.
    What he didn’t know was that Linda and I had talked about it, and we both wanted to make a move. We’d been flirting with him, really. But we agreed that it would be more likely to happen between us. He was more likely to go with it with his biological sister than his mother.
    Matthew: There are no whips or anything like that. There is no fetish. Just a lot of loving, good sex.
    I took them out separately to have some time alone with them. It really felt like I was on a date, but with someone I’d known for a long time. The talks on the date just reinforced my thoughts that there was something I still had to find out. When I got back here with Melissa, we danced to a slow love song. I was holding this beautiful woman and, well, I was getting aroused. One thing led to another.

That's just the funny bits, they sound fairly sincere to be fair but a mother a son and a daughter?I don't think that could ever sit right with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

*Googles consanguineous*

*Googles consanguineous*

no google cleaveland steamer

also 5 comments on that blog and not one 1 pics or gtfo, whoever reads that needs to get their shit together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How about if we get rid of marriage altogether so gobsheens can be prevented from turning it into a battle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think every gay couple that gets married should as a wedding present be given a baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

How about if we get rid of marriage altogether so gobsheens can be prevented from turning it into a battle ground.

how about a fairground?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think every gay couple that gets married should as a wedding present be given a baby!

But where do we get the babies?

how about a fairground?

Yeah sfuckin mad shit.

mackg wrote: »
    But where do we get the babies?

We steal the 1st born from every Jewish couple.

how about a fairground?

It's over 20, so it's adult. But is it consenting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I draw the line at incestuous relationships, mainly because I would most certainly contest someone's ability to consent to marrying their own parent, surely this arises from conditioning or impairment and not any free and concious decision on their part, legalising and validating incest surely leaves dependants open to abuse.

Polygamy, IMO, is fine in a truly equal society, which we don't exactly have yet, right now it makes sense to limit the freedoms of people who just have too much love in order to limit the damage of overtly patriarchal sub-cultures and religions.

I suppose that's a half a vote in favour of full marriage equality. The ick factor of incest does seem to be a powerful response though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The problem I'd have with incest is more the possible psychological stuff. Parent/child would be unhealthy, possible conditioning, balance of power, etc. Somewhat similar for brother/sister. If they had been estranged all their lives and only met as adult and then wanted something, I'd have less of a problem.

Polygamy etc, go nuts.

In the cases cited on that blog, most of the consanguineous relationships seem to have happened among adult relatives who did not know each other previously (cases of adoption, etc.)

They also talk a lot about genetic sexual attraction, which I don't know much about at all, except insofar that I don't find any of my blood relatives attractive, but apparently this exists and does cause people to fall in love with people they are closely related to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I don't really see why gay marriage is acting as a synonym for incest in this thread?
    As a ghey, I am 100% in favour of same-sex civil marriage being legalised, I am also 100% against incest/polygamy, because of disabilities that children can have out of incestuous sex (also, it's just weird.), and because polygamy encourages male dominance imo, and it's quite de-valuing to women.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Advocating incest would be wrong in every way, we are just getting the issue of familial abuse out in the open and dealing with it as a society. At what age would it become ok to start dating your child ? The age of consent ? If you did feel the want to date your own child how did you see them all along, not in a healthy maternal/paternal way that is for sure.

Polygamy doesn't bother me in the least if all parties are consenting adults and any children brought up in the marraige are healthy, happy and open minded about what kind of relationships they want in their future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As a ghey, I am 100% in favour of same-sex civil marriage being legalised, I am also 100% against incest/polygamy, because of disabilities that children can have out of incestuous sex (also, it's just weird.), and because polygamy encourages male dominance imo, and it's quite de-valuing to women.

God forbid women be allowed to make their own decisions on who to marry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

If 2 people are committed to each other then why not let them marry, yes I am for complete marriage equality. Its not for me, but if others want it, let them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't really see why gay marriage is acting as a synonym for incest in this thread?

Yeah, because a woman couldn't possibly want more than 1 husband...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm all for gay marriage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement