Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish chicken is fresher and better quality - please buy Irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Irish food producers can't compete against Asian markets on price. Where they win hands down however, is on quality and a lot of people are willing to pay a bit more for fresh, homegrown, good quality produce.

That's why they survive... but only just in many cases. The main supermarket giants - more than any other factor - control the supply price of produce to the customer & also the profits to the producer... so if you're getting ripped off, it's not by the producer, but by the supermarkets.

And while it's easy to put all the blame on the supermarkets, it's also our own fault for not buying locally, supporting local businesses & handing all our cash over to the supermarket giants who now control most of our spend & most of the country's food production.

I agree 100%, but this is where Ireland has to make a stand... These producers need to get together under a banner of some sort and knock this shyte on the head with supermarkets... There must be government bodies that can help in this area. Like a 'union' if you will, with advertising for the Irish consumer to say 'look, we're here and we're willing to give value' I mean, every town has a market on at some stage during the week, the producers all get together and volumise sales (if there is such a word!!) The supermarkets will keep taking the piss cause they know they can... Something has to give... National radio, local radio, but organising it really is key

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

it does but not by much. buying 1 more Irish produced item every week helps keep people in jobs
    It sure does. Next shop i do i'll try add as many as i can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

it is. all money spent on tax in the north goes to elizabeth windsor NOT the Irish exchequer

And then her government kindly subvents c. £7 billion more back into Ireland, which is nice.
    Your tax point is irrelevant in any case, since tax paid on Thai chicken purchased in Ireland goes to the Irish exchequer but the purchase doesn't support Irish farming in the slightest. Purchasing chicken from Ireland, whether the part under British occupation or not, supports Irish farmers and ensures that you get a better, tastier, indigenous product that is fresh and disease-free, raised and prepared under optimal conditions which has travelled the least distance to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I think they get away with it by saying packed in Ireland. We should buy more irish though, its just a pity that it can't be sold at the same price as foreign ..

I remember reading a few years ago that they get away with it through the wording, if it is advertised as "Fresh Irish Chicken" then the chicken has to be from Ireland, but if it is advertised as "Irish Fresh Chicken" it can come from anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

And then her government kindly subvents c. £7 billion more back into Ireland, which is nice.
    Your tax point is irrelevant in any case, since tax paid on Thai chicken purchased in Ireland goes to the Irish exchequer but the purchase doesn't support Irish farming in the slightest. Purchasing chicken from Ireland, whether the part under British occupation or not, supports Irish farmers and ensures that you get a better, tastier, indigenous product that is fresh and disease-free, raised and prepared under optimal conditions which has travelled the least distance to market.

7 billion of a loan, that will be re-paid.

as i said the revenue does not dupport Irish farmers at all. it supports british farmers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I remember reading a few years ago that they get away with it through the wording, if it is advertised as "Fresh Irish Chicken" then the chicken has to be from Ireland, but if it is advertised as "Irish Fresh Chicken" it can come from anywhere.

Thats actually changed with the Bord Bia Quality scheme. ROI fresh chicken that has the Bord Bia symbol has the Tricolour on it, NI origin chicken doesn't carry the tricolour on the Bord Bia symbol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Purchasing chicken from Ireland, whether the part under British occupation or not, supports Irish farmers and ensures that you get a better, tastier, indigenous product that is fresh and disease-free, raised and prepared under optimal conditions which has travelled the least distance to market.

The vast majority of chicken raised and slaughtered in Ireland are of the intensively produced broiler variety. These are animals that are never see natural daylight, and reach slaughter age at approx 40% of the time that they did 25 years ago. They are specially bred to have larger breasts and smaller legs as we don't tend to eat the legs in Ireland. Many of them are considered fit for slaughter when their legs break. They are fed by machine, and the farmer/operator removes those of them that die before they reach slaughter age.

By contrast, an organic chicken takes about 14 weeks to mature. So conditions in Ireland are almost no better for the chicken than those in Thailand or Vietnam. If you want cheap chicken then you may as well go for the cheapest, as the entire process of raising broilers differs very little in any place in the world.

7 billion of a loan, that will be re-paid.

Nope, 7 billion of a donation, between the Northern Ireland block grant and security costs, annually. I wasn't talking about Gideon's loan to Dublin.
    as i said the revenue does not dupport Irish farmers at all. it supports british farmers

No, it supports Irish farmers living under British rule. Check your copy of the Good Friday Agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

smk89 wrote: »
    No we aren't willing to pay more. We just aren't given a choice. LIDL and tesco both give no options of non Irish chicken.

I wouldn't know.. I buy all my meat from the local butcher who is supplied by local farms.

Pricewise there's very little difference between his meat & the supermarkets (cheaper on some counts) and the difference in quality is significantly higher.

Nope, 7 billion of a donation, between the Northern Ireland block grant and security costs, annually. I wasn't talking about Gideon's loan to Dublin.

No, it supports Irish farmers living under British rule. Check your copy of the Good Friday Agreement.

ill have to dig it out. can you show me evidence of northern irish farmers incomes going into our state coffers and not the british coffers, thanks

• Advertisement

read this. its a loan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

uberalles wrote: »
    Prog on RTE1 now.

Its possible we may loose all native Chicken suppliers. 90% imported!
    There is a program on and a lot of Chicken from abroad (Thailand etc is 1 fifth the price to suppliers) BUT its often 7 days old!

Irish chicken is fresher and better quality - please buy Irish

Eh no.

Whilst I do agree that the large chains have an adverse impact on quality and on small producers, Irish chicken is not alll equal. Some of it is 35 days old and sits in its own sh1t and is fed the cheapest crap. Some of it is 70 days old and has good tone from running about.... etc

The produce is not labeled well here. In a market in France I used to shop in they would have a range of chickens from 4 to 15 Euro. Under the price they would have the age of the chicken, its diet and when it was slaughtered. So you knew what you were paying for. Here... well its a little vague at best

To just accept the claim (by disgruntled Irish producers) that Irish chicken is better and fresher is a little naive

read this. its a loan

Read this instead. I already said I wasn't talking about Gideon's loan.

ill have to dig it out. can you show me evidence of northern irish farmers incomes going into our state coffers and not the british coffers, thanks

The tax on any Northern Irish, Southern Irish, Thai, French, English or any other chicken sold in the Republic goes to the Republic's exchequer. VAT makes no difference on the basis of chicken nationality.

Read this instead. I already said I wasn't talking about Gideon's loan.

whats gideons loan?

whats gideons loan?

The 7 billion loan Gideon Osborne offered Ireland during our recent cap-in-hand manoeuvre to the IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

D1stant wrote: »
    Eh no.

Whilst I do agree that the large chains have an adverse impact on quality and on small producers, Irish chicken is not alll equal. Some of it is 35 days old and sits in its own sh1t and is fed the cheapest crap. Some of it is 70 days old and has good tone from running about.... etc

The produce is not labeled well here. In a market in France I used to shop in they would have a range of chickens from 4 to 15 Euro. Under the price they would have the age of the chicken, its diet and when it was slaughtered. So you knew what you were paying for. Here... well its a little vague at best

To just accept the claim (by disgruntled Irish producers) that Irish chicken is better and fresher is a little naive

Agree with most of this, but I think if they could be fair about the price and take over their own distribution, it would be the exact same as France.

The 7 billion loan Gideon Osborne offered Ireland during our recent cap-in-hand manoeuvre to the IMF.

you mean George osborne, the british finance minister? the man that gave us a 7 billion bilateral loan

you mean George osborne, the british finance minister? the man that gave us a 7 billion bilateral loan

Yes, he did indeed. His real name's Gideon, actually. As I've said three times now, I was talking about the 7.3 billion annual deficit that Northern Ireland costs the British exchequer, not about Gideon's loan.

Yes, he did indeed. His real name's Gideon, actually. As I've said three times now, I was talking about the 7.3 billion annual deficit that Northern Ireland costs the British exchequer, not about Gideon's loan.

where have you mentioned that?

• Advertisement

where have you mentioned that?

Here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You two cocks* stop fighting. :pac:

*cock
    a male chicken; rooster.

Wasn't my intention to derail the thread. I'm no less Irish than anyone else and the same goes for Northern Irish poultry farmers.

While I buy meat from the island of Ireland only, I concur that it's not the consumer who needs persuading about the Thai chicken invasion, but the commercial firms.

thats into northern ireland, not the republic

thats into northern ireland, not the republic

Yes, into Ireland. Irish farmers in the North give the queen some tax, then she gives them and their community 7 billion more back every year. Very nice of her. Are we done with this yet, or do you want another spin on this merry-go-round before we get back to the chickens?

Yes, into Ireland. Irish farmers in the North give the queen some tax, then she gives them and their community 7 billion more back every year. Very nice of her. Are we done with this yet, or do you want another spin on this merry-go-round before we get back to the chickens?

which proves my original point that northern irish farmers dont contribute to the coffers of the republic

now im finished, good night

which proves my original point that northern irish farmers dont contribute to the coffers of the republic

now im finished, good night

No, your original point was to claim here that Northern Irish people and their products are foreign, which they're not.

You sleep well, now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Every farmer in Ulster is Irish? Gosh..

Back to the topic..

I support my local butcher when it comes to meat. It is the best quality and you do pay what you get for IMO.

No, your original point was to claim here that Northern Irish people and their products are foreign, which they're not.

You sleep well, now.

i never said northern irish people were foreign (which they are by the way) i said i wouldnt buy foreign produce (including northern ireland) because it doesnt benefit the irish exchequer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Advertisement