Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish chicken is fresher and better quality - please buy Irish

Options
  • 01-11-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Prog on RTE1 now.

Its possible we may loose all native Chicken suppliers. 90% imported!
    There is a program on and a lot of Chicken from abroad (Thailand etc is 1 fifth the price to suppliers) BUT its often 7 days old!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Okay Mr. Corrigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I don't eat chicken I eat hen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

because when the economy is bad it's important to pay five times the price for things :confused:

I usually get Irish chickens. Corn fed chicken is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I prefer Argentinian chicken ......more flavour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

90% imported? That's a shocking statistic for a country with such a large agri sector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I don't eat chicken I eat hen.

Been to Abrakebabara?

Seagull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

uberalles wrote: »

Prog on RTE1 now.

Its possible we may loose all native Chicken suppliers. 90% imported!
    There is a program on and a lot of Chicken from abroad (Thailand etc is 1 fifth the price to suppliers) BUT its often 7 days old!

How much of this 90% is purchased by individuals in shopping centres and how much is the result of chippers, restaurants, McD's, pre-made sandwich companies, etc though? I'm not sure it's your average man on the street that's the major problem here.

But that's a guess on my part, if anyone is aware of the numbers for chicken sold in supermarkets/butchers, Irish vs imported could they post them up please?

Personally I only ever buy Irish meat when possible. It's bloody lovely, the one thing we are genuinely able to compete with anyone else in the world on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm totally with you OP.

I always eat Chicken McNuggets in Ireland but I never even go to McDonald's at all when I'm abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

uberalles wrote: »
    Thailand etc is 1 fifth the price to suppliers]

If chicken can be imported from Thailand for 1/5th the price then its not hard to see why the Irish farmers are not doing well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Down with racism against non national chickens. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'd love to get me some foreign cheaper chicken

All I see on the shelves are "fresh Irish" chicken.

Same goes for the thousands of tonnes of Brazillian & Argetinian beef we import but can never find.

I'm assuming it all comes in from abroad, gets an "irish" sticker put on it and then sold at 200% margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

buy irish or get out
    also they took er chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

I'd love to get me some foreign cheaper chicken

All I see on the shelves are "fresh Irish" chicken.

Same goes for the thousands of tonnes of Brazillian & Argetinian beef we import but can never find.

I'm assuming it all comes in from abroad, gets an "irish" sticker put on it and then sold at 200% margin.
    I think they get away with it by saying packed in Ireland. We should buy more irish though, its just a pity that it can't be sold at the same price as foreign ..

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

And of course it'll cost more than any imported variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

The problem with buy Irish is that it is a lot of it is too expensive... I am all for supporting the Irish market and local produce, but it needs to be more competitive. I understand that costs are high and all the rest, but I can guarantee ya, if the cost of local produce was cheaper, companies woud make more money in volume sales than screwing people to the wall with their current prices. This country is too expensive on everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

parrai wrote: »
    The problem with buy Irish is that it is a lot of it is too expensive... I am all for supporting the Irish market and local produce, but it needs to be more competitive. I understand that costs are high and all the rest, but I can guarantee ya, if the cost of local produce was cheaper, companies woud make more money in volume sales than screwing people to the wall with their current prices. This country is too expensive on everything...

Irish food producers can't compete against Asian markets on price. Where they win hands down however, is on quality and a lot of people are willing to pay a bit more for fresh, homegrown, good quality produce.

That's why they survive... but only just in many cases. The main supermarket giants - more than any other factor - control the supply price of produce to the customer & also the profits to the producer... so if you're getting ripped off, it's not by the producer, but by the supermarkets.

And while it's easy to put all the blame on the supermarkets, it's also our own fault for not buying locally, supporting local businesses & handing all our cash over to the supermarket giants who now control most of our spend & most of the country's food production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Irish food producers can't compete against Asian markets on price. Where they win hands down however, is on quality and a lot of people are willing to pay a bit more for fresh, homegrown, good quality produce.

No we aren't willing to pay more. We just aren't given a choice. LIDL and tesco both give no options of non Irish chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Battery chicken is a disgusting lump of tasteless protein no matter where in the world it comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not only do i buy only Irish chicken but 99% of my weekly grocery shop is Irish, i buy as little foreign (including N. Ireland) as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Will someone please think of the chickens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

It's them fecking Greeks. Coming over here stealing our jobs and our wimmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

not only do i buy only Irish chicken but 99% of my weekly grocery shop is Irish, i buy as little foreign (including N. Ireland) as possible

Northern IRELAND isn't foreign. The clue is in the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

As long as it tastes good and is cheap I couldn't care less where it comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I agree the only two country's i buy food from is Ireland and Italy the food from everywhere else is bland tasteless crap the Netherlands and Germany are the worst offenders where ever the import their food from they should stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

And does your shooping bill work out much more than normal??. I'd like to buy Irish more, but sometimes its just to expensive..

Northern IRELAND isn't foreign. The clue is in the name.

it is. all money spent on tax in the north goes to elizabeth windsor NOT the Irish exchequer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

90% imported? That's a shocking statistic for a country with such a large agri sector.

Most of it is sold to the catering trade.

And does your shooping bill work out much more than normal??. I'd like to buy Irish more, but sometimes its just to expensive..

it does but not by much. buying 1 more Irish produced item every week helps keep people in jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

post no. 30 and nobody has mentioned swans? Have we matured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Most of it is sold to the catering trade.

Exactly. There's no point singing the 'Buy Irish' message to the converted (i.e the customers), when it is the businesses who don't give a f*ck.

Advertisement