Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

that was played in temple of sound quite alot. the techno nights in there were deadly.wasnt so much into mark dixon/roberto mellow,, but hey,, when your drunk pills and coke,,who gives a fook eh? lol

Think Mark Dixon used to do those US house nights on a Thursday? - Can't remember but no he's not in my memory as a DJ I was bothered with... Billy Nasty, Justin Robertson, Eric Powell, Dave Clarke etc on a Saturday night are another story! Something like this being belted out on a Saturday night was what that place was about for me... dancefloor packed, sweat pumping off everyone, smell of vicks/olbas oil, getting a massage off some random young one, bass booming through you, everyone giving it loads with not a care in the world... I feckin need a night like that again!

Another of the Temple of Sound variety, again probably won't be many folks here cup of tea but its oldskool so I'm bleedin posting it!

Richie Hawtin - Call it what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

best techno nights i had in there were gemini.luke slater.luke solomon and jeff mills,bangin techno,loved the place for that,made fortune sellin yokes in there too, bouncers didnt really give a fook, ha was great,ah them days are gone,wudnt bother doin any drug now,i run 25-30 mile a week.gym.eat well etc,one extreme to another,

dont remember any names of the tracks played there, only remember the asylum sides tracks and thats just coz i bought the tapes and mates bought the vinyl which i mixed too,be nice to have afew mixes from the temple of sound nights,

Yeah I'm the same health wise, pretty much as far the opposite as possible from what I was then - still like the odd smoke but thats about as far as it goes these days... not that I wouldn't like to indulge in a decent night out, just the opportunity really hasn't presented itself!

The Temple of Sound was my main hang out and I've been obsessed with techno ever since so a lot my collection consists of music from then. I've yet to come across a mix though which is very annoying, I even saw Johnny Moy's account on youtube a couple of years back - sent him a message to ask if any mixes floating about from then and he didn't bother replying, he was always an ignorant fcker though!

• Advertisement

Claude Young was another legend from back then, not sure if I ever actually heard him play the ToS though, I know he did play one night that I definitely missed... I always remember he was due to play and lots were looking forward to it, I couldn't make it due to lack of funds and I'll never forget my mates going on about how great a night it was, I was gutted to have missed it :(

Claude Young - Changing Factors

Does anyone have this ?

Doi-Oing – Nasty Feeling

Quality track! Ah I'm getting all mid 90s nostalgia (not unusual!) and feel like sitting up all night listening!

I'll sort that other track over the weekend too.

REJUVINATION - Requiem - Part 2

Justin Roberstson used to belt this one out...

Sil - Windows

Yeah I'm the same health wise, pretty much as far the opposite as possible from what I was then - still like the odd smoke but thats about as far as it goes these days... not that I wouldn't like to indulge in a decent night out, just the opportunity really hasn't presented itself!

The Temple of Sound was my main hang out and I've been obsessed with techno ever since so a lot my collection consists of music from then. I've yet to come across a mix though which is very annoying, I even saw Johnny Moy's account on youtube a couple of years back - sent him a message to ask if any mixes floating about from then and he didn't bother replying, he was always an ignorant fcker though!
    i asked him too.never got reply either.his younger bro was in there too alot..going around tellin everyone hes jonny moys brother, lol,

• Advertisement

Claude Young was another legend from back then, not sure if I ever actually heard him play the ToS though, I know he did play one night that I definitely missed... I always remember he was due to play and lots were looking forward to it, I couldn't make it due to lack of funds and I'll never forget my mates going on about how great a night it was, I was gutted to have missed it :(

Claude Young - Changing Factors

oh i was there one night he played,how could i forget that,i think the best night i ever had at a rave in general.non stop banging techno,i was watchin him from time to time that night,records goin backwards,mixin off beats and soundin brilliant,place was shaking,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

Think Mark Dixon used to do those US house nights on a Thursday?

He was, the night was deep american house-stem and frank mcgahon also played it, it was called american xpress iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Here's a link to a Billy Scurry mix my brother uploaded, would've been around the time he made the switch from Sides to the Temple. Some tunes on it, not the best of recordings though. Any tune ids appreciated, particularly the one around 36 minutes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1d1wkwfmpij

yeah you're right about Johnny Moy, ignorant w@nker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Another of the Temple of Sound variety, again probably won't be many folks here cup of tea but its oldskool so I'm bleedin posting it!

Richie Hawtin - Call it what you want

Would'nt be a huge Techno fan meself.There would be a select of tracks i do like and this track is pretty good.Most of the techno i know sounds pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Used to like this 1 meself.No y/t but you can listen to it via discogs.

http://www.discogs.com/Rejuvination-Dr-Peter/master/37345

here's another i like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TK5vTvHIapA#!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Quality track! Ah I'm getting all mid 90s nostalgia (not unusual!) and feel like sitting up all night listening!

I'll sort that other track over the weekend too.

Cheers Davie ! no hurry.

the mix that billy mays posted, wouldnt mind knowin these tracks myself, so i youtubed it,

oh i was there one night he played,how could i forget that,i think the best night i ever had at a rave in general.non stop banging techno,i was watchin him from time to time that night,records goin backwards,mixin off beats and soundin brilliant,place was shaking,

Yeah that was the one - always remember my mates describing his skills on the decks, thats one missed night that I've never forgotten!

the mix that billy mays posted, wouldnt mind knowin these tracks myself, so i youtubed it,

Nice mix, cheers Billy.

The first track is Liquid Insects by Amorphous Androgynous (Future Sound of London)... taken from this...

http://www.discogs.com/Amorphous-Androgynous-Tales-Of-Ephidrina/master/32292

Bit of Orbital Lush at around 40+ mins but mixed with something else that I don't know.

Recognize some others but the names not happening, the one that comes in at almost 28 mins is really annoying me as I think I've got that, just won't come to me - great track.

• Advertisement

aceberg wrote: »
    Would'nt be a huge Techno fan meself.There would be a select of tracks i do like and this track is pretty good.Most of the techno i know sounds pretty much the same.

Ah you definitely haven't listened to enough techno so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Ah you definitely haven't listened to enough techno so!

+1 Techno rules..

One thing ive noticed and im not trying to big myself up whatsoever but i appear to be one of the very few who is genuinely into pretty much all old skool sounds across the spectrum from Acid House to Bleep to House to Hardcore to Techno to Jungle and beyond, i love it all, House in it's purist form remains my favourite style but i listen and love most old skool and im a bit baffled as to why people are so picky about old skool i don't recall this being the case back in the day.

;)

had the name of this track b4, cant find it or remember it, anyone?
    http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/34259215/file.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

jonnny68 wrote: »
    +1 Techno rules..

One thing ive noticed and im not trying to big myself up whatsoever but i appear to be one of the very few who is genuinely into pretty much all old skool sounds across the spectrum from Acid House to Bleep to House to Hardcore to Techno to Jungle and beyond, i love it all, House in it's purist form remains my favourite style but i listen and love most old skool and im a bit baffled as to why people are so picky about old skool i don't recall this being the case back in the day.

;)

extreme_face.gif

Oh no Jonnny you didn't :eek: has nobody told ya, ya have to pick one genre and stick to it otherwise your not a 'real' raver or a 'real' oldskooler, if your just listening to allsorts from all years then you just dont fit in and should stop putting up posts......you'll only irritate the bejeezus out of all the elite professional hard core purveyors :rolleyes:

Thats why I stick with my clique ..... the 'HardDrumDanceCoreBassTranceTechAcidRaggaHouseBreaksJungleBleeps' posse ..... :cool: we represent n keep it real!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

EarlERizer wrote: »
    extreme_face.gif

Oh no Jonnny you didn't :eek: has nobody told ya, ya have to pick one genre and stick to it otherwise your not a 'real' raver or a 'real' oldskooler, if your just listening to allsorts from all years then you just dont fit in and should stop putting up posts......you'll only irritate the bejeezus out of all the elite professional hard core purveyors :rolleyes:

Thats why I stick with my clique ..... the 'HardDrumDanceCoreBassTranceTechAcidRaggaHouseBreaksJungleBleeps' posse ..... :cool: we represent n keep it real!!!

:D

haha it's true though mate i haven't met many thesedays who basically like all old skool across the board instead of 1 or 2 genres, back in the day i was the same and everyone else was, if it was good regardless of what genre i was you liked it and lets be honest the vast majority is good so liked it all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Downloaded this at the weekend
    31PYB8PQ7QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    Some serious techno bangers on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

off topic but just matter of interst do any of members here bet on the horses at all , i got word of mouth about one tomorrow but wanted to double check with any1 here to see if they fancy it lol

anyway back to oldskool and this is a classic :D

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GLGKnpGQXF0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLGKnpGQXF0&list=FL0ZRNkWFlcb4B7hz-cArRkg&index=7&feature=plpp_video

Advertisement