Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

EarlERizer wrote: »

amazing tune, love it.

I think 2001 can now bwe classed as oldskool now :pac:

• Advertisement

Last one for now. Dave the drummer - Implant ( Acid techno is alive mix )

Big track!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

one of me fave tunes from the temple love the break in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Maysa07 wrote: »
    I think 2001 can now bwe classed as oldskool now :pac:

I don't agree with this, music from then is way too clean, and digital, to be classed as oldskool imo :D Think that was the year cdjs hit clubs also, will never class cdjs as oldskool, no matter how out of date they may seem in the future :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Dave the drummer deadly, love the aul Acid Techno

es-cee wrote: »
    I don't agree with this, music from then is way too clean, and digital, to be classed as oldskool imo :D Think that was the year cdjs hit clubs also, will never class cdjs as oldskool, no matter how out of date they may seem in the future :D:D:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_school
    In slang, old school can refer to anything that is from an earlier era, anything that may be considered "old-fashioned". Old school refers to something that is fairly old and not very recent.

In my Opinion 2001 is not very recent, it doesn't matter if it sounds different or made with different tools. it's all about a different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

In my Opinion 2001 is not very recent, it doesn't matter if it sounds different or made with different tools. it's all about a different era.

Thats true but old school became a common reference to a specific types of music at a specific time with a specific sound for most of us old boys/girls. there are also national issues involved :D

i ran into similar problems with the word hardcore in the nineties.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Thats true but old school became a common reference to a specific types of music at a specific time with a specific sound for most of us old boys/girls. there are also national issues involved :D

i ran into similar problems with the word hardcore in the nineties.

i suppose we all have different meaning to the term alright, either way it's all good :)

Agree to disagree on this one Paddy. I still don't think music made on computers, using digital synths etc is "oldskool". In my humble opinion, oldskool music, was made with great hardship using analogue equipment, synths, samplers, drum machines etc. Making music these days, must seem like a doddle in comparison, to producers from that era.

• Advertisement

it can be difficult to distinguish computer made music as excellent programs like Software Audio Workshop by bob lentini were widely used 1993 onwards. It took ages to use these programs back in the teeny weeny ram days, it works in the blink of an eye now.
    Analogue equipment, synths, samplers, drum machines etc could all be sampled or recreated and give the effect of being used from a pc.

it can be difficult to distinguish computer made music as excellent programs like Software Audio Workshop by bob lentini were widely used 1993 onwards. It took ages to use these programs back in the teeny weeny ram days, it works in the blink of an eye now.
    Analogue equipment, synths, samplers, drum machines etc could all be sampled or recreated and give the effect of being used from a pc.

Yeah, but a great deal of artists from back then used analogue equipment on a daily basis. I even recall Doc Scott Tweeting about how lucky modern producers are, in comparison to when he was making tracks in the early 90's.

You are absolutely correct in that modern producers have it much easier than back in the 90's. I used to really enjoy the new innovations and ideas within the music that producers/artists would come up with back then. However it seems to me that a lot of imagination has sadly been lost, perhaps I would even say that artistry has been lost within the plethora that is modern music.

You are absolutely correct in that modern producers have it much easier than back in the 90's. I used to really enjoy the new innovations and ideas within the music that producers/artists would come up with back then. However it seems to me that a lot of imagination has sadly been lost, perhaps I would even say that artistry has been lost within the plethora that is modern music.

I think you're dead right there. Modern music (while i do like it btw), lacks that certain something, that oldskool has. Back then the music was constantly changing and evolving, at a very rapid pace (acid house summer of love '88, to drum & bass by the end of '95) and every other genre in between. It was like one giant experiment in sound, that will never be equalled again in my opinion. Modern music is way too clean as well, lacks that "human element", i suppose would be the best way to describe it. Production techniques are far superior today, without a doubt, but i prefer a track that's raw and has character, as opposed to the robotic-like perfection, of today's music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

tdv123 wrote: »
    1. Red 5 - Da Beat Goes (club mix)
    2. Benedict Brothers - 4 Those That Can Dance (Klubbed Up Mix)
    3. The Monti Experience - Break You Down
    4. Committee - Welcome (I Said Shut Up)
    5. Control - Dream
    6. TDV – I Don't care
    7. M. Experience III, The* - Rock Your Body
    8. Paragliders – Paraglide

Side B

1.Underworld – Born Slippy.
    2.Lucky Monkeys - Bjango
    3.Grooveyard - Watch Me Now
    5.TUSOM-FLAMENCOTRIP
    6.Trigger & Auburn - Do It
    7.FUTURE RAINFOREST E.P. Project X - Hardhouse
    8.x-cabs - Outcast
    9. Mystic Force - Pacific Sunrise or could b the other track that sounds exactly the same as PS and is produced by the same guy under a different alias.Ill root it out cant remember at the minuate.Last tune sounds very familiar
    ok last 2 entered

Ok the track in question is PS.The other track I was refering to is

Dimension _White Dove

Similar enough to PS

_

time to start running....:D

and then have a snooze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

First non "rave" 12" I ever bought. 3 deadly mixes of the track on it. Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Discovered another id today while listening to a cd in the car.Track on Ed Case _Beyond Space after Darmha Bums is ........Atlas - Beauty Too

• Advertisement

Advertisement