Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You have got to hand it to Dublin Airport Authority

Options
  • 01-11-2011 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

You have got to hand it to Dublin Airport Authority, got an email today about a new Airport Club... I thought this might be interesting, fast track security, discount on Lounges.. I use the airport about 10-15 times a year.... Nice.. Until the I saw the price. OMG the guys are the DAA need a reality check.

A green Card 150 euros!!
    Fast track at security entrances in Terminal 1 & 2
    25% discount in DAA Executive Airport Lounges (15 euros instead of 20 euros.)

Silver Card 250 euros
    all the benefits of Green, plus:
    10% discount in the DAA Short Term Car Parks when you book online
    10% discount in the DAA operated The Loop shops
    3rd party retail and food and beverage discounts

Gold Card 500 euros.
    all the benefits of Silver, plus:
    One complimentary VIP service
    20% discount on 5 subsequent visits
    20% discount on the VIP meeting rooms
    20 complimentary visits to the DAA Executive Airport Lounges
    25% discount on subsequent visits

Have used the Business Lounges in terminal one in the past, To be honest compared to other airports its awful, Just wanted coffee and croissant for breakfast. Coffee terrible and pastries pre-packed and old, from then on it was always butlers coffee.

But will people really pay 150 to by-pass the security lines, never mind 500 euros? Is there really a market for this? I suppose if you are a weekly business flier then 150 maybe is not that much to get to the gate quicker.

Would you pay to join the new Airport Club 10 votes

Yes, the Green option 150 euros
    0% 0 votes
    Yes the Silver 250 euros
    30% 3 votes
    Yes the gold 500 euros.
    10% 1 vote
    FFS people need the head examined if they join.
    60% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Misleading thread title:

I thought it was about containers of liquids over 100ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

soterpisc wrote: »
    You have got to hand it to Dublin Airport Authority, got an email today about a new Airport Club... I thought this might be interesting, fast track security, discount on Lounges.. I use the airport about 10-15 times a year.... Nice.. Until the I saw the price. OMG the guys are the DAA need a reality check.

A green Card 150 euros!!
    25% discount in DAA Executive Airport Lounges (15 euros instead of 20 euros.)

Silver Card 250 euros
    all the benefits of Green, plus:
    10% discount in the DAA Short Term Car Parks when you book online
    10% discount in the DAA operated The Loop shops
    3rd party retail and food and beverage discounts

Gold Card 500 euros.
    all the benefits of Silver, plus:
    One complimentary VIP service
    20% discount on 5 subsequent visits
    20% discount on the VIP meeting rooms
    20 complimentary visits to the DAA Executive Airport Lounges
    25% discount on subsequent visits

Have used the Business Lounges in terminal one in the past, To be honest compared to other airports its awful, Just wanted coffee and croissant for breakfast. Coffee terrible and pastries pre-packed and old, from then on it was always butlers coffee.

But will people really pay 150 to by-pass the security lines, never mind 500 euros? Is there really a market for this? I suppose if you are a weekly business flier then 150 maybe is not that much to get to the gate quicker.

If you've got 2 suitcases full of cocaine, it might be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Misleading thread title:

I thought it was about containers of liquids over 100ml.

Ohh... don't get me started on that one.... and their 2 euro charge to by the bags just because the bag I am using it not exactly 20cmx20cm!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I would not pay it, waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Fast-tracking passport control would be my wish, its impossible to get out of the place in a hurry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Dont care how often you fly-Id go to the airport an hour earlier rather than pay 150 to get through a line a bit quicker. Feck sake! And airport food is always rotten anyway.

It easy to beat the queues-just check the airport website to see how many flights are going from either terminal and go through the one with the least departures, usually T2 (once you dont have to check in luggage etc). Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

how about just a No for the poll :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Beep Beep!

"Sir, can you step to one side and open your head for further examination please!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

500 Quid for basically a service you don't need.

In a recession.

Good luck idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

If only the US embassy would offer a green card for €150...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use Shannon then...

its not aimed at you, you cant afford it, clearly lots can. a bit like ferrari's, do you need your head examined too if you have one of them and can easily afford it? :confused:

Saila wrote: »
    its not aimed at you, you cant afford it, clearly lots can. a bit like ferrari's, do you need your head examined too if you have one of them and can easily afford it? :confused:

Don't agree. I could afford it. But it would be a waste of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you've got 2 suitcases full of cocaine, it might be worth it.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad.
    Beep Beep!

"Sir, can you step to one side and open your head for further examination please!"
    biko wrote: »
    Use Shannon then...

Should have gone to Aviation & Aircraft OP. ;)

Don't agree. I could afford it. But it would be a waste of money.

I think you missed what I was saying, anyway lots can afford it enough to value the time and hassle saved. Im just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

How much time would it save you? It seems like if you travelled once a week and it saved you half an hour each time it might worth it to pay €150. €5.70 per/hour of extra free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

500 Quid for basically a service you don't need.

In a recession.

Good luck idiots.

Really? 500 quid is pocket change for a hell of a lot of people. The type who would travel for business regularly. I've obviously been spending far too much time with ridiculously rich people. A friend of a friend spends almost 500 quid in the beauty salon every couple of weeks. I'm sure there will be a market for this.

Another problem is that it doesn't give any sort of incentive to improve facilities/services for the rest of us plebs, and given what Aer Lingus and Ryanair claim I'm paying in airport fees & charges why should I shell out any extra?

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Another problem is that it doesn't give any sort of incentive to improve facilities/services for the rest of us plebs, and given what Aer Lingus and Ryanair claim I'm paying in airport fees & charges why should I shell out any extra?

In stansted there was a £5 charge to use the fast track security.

At my local airport (Knock!) we have a €10 departure fee, it its worth it to avoid the queues and the stress. Dublin its nearly a 30 min job if you are lucky to get out of the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

If you can afford it (like if you fly A LOT for work & they pay for the actual plane trips), it might be worth the price. I'm sure if you fly a lot, you'd quickly get sick of waiting. I'm sure companies paying for plane trips (except for "valuable"/high 'ranked' people in the company) is very rare now, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

biko wrote: »
    Use Shannon then...

I was at Shannon today, Id love to use it except its like a 4 hour drive and more expensive for flights. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I was at Shannon today, Id love to use it except its like a 4 hour drive and more expensive for flights. :pac:

You'd be better off flying to Gatwick and using their new security.

Oh, wait a sec.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

LiamN wrote: »
    If you can afford it (like if you fly A LOT for work & they pay for the actual plane trips), it might be worth the price. I'm sure if you fly a lot, you'd quickly get sick of waiting. I'm sure companies paying for plane trips (except for "valuable"/high 'ranked' people in the company) is very rare now, though.

It's not rare. I used to get all my travel paid for, airport expenses like food and drinks and taxi transfers and I wasn't really important at all. My boyfriend's dad flies regularly for business and he gets lounges and all that paid for. The average person in Ireland might be short of cash, but plenty of companies (and individuals) are still rolling in it.

You'd be better off flying to Gatwick and using their new security.

Oh, wait a sec.......
    Oh dear god......I had the misfortune of flying from Gatwick a few weeks back and experienced their new security measures......Makes the Dublin Airport Authority look somewhat professional in comparison.:mad:

Dreading what it'll be like at Xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Beep Beep!

Lapin wrote: »
    Should have gone to Aviation & Aircraft OP. ;)

"Sir, why is your brain wrapped in tin foil?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there's only 19 people that'll use this now, not the 75 odd that there used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Remember folks if you pay to use fast track you only get to skip the queues at the boarding card screening. Once you get in the doors you still have to queue like everyone else to go through security! There are no dedicated fast track machines or lanes. At least not in T2. You'll still be queuing no matter what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

LiamN wrote: »

I fly to London for work about 10 times a year, and company pays. It's only e200 return (depends when you book etc) from Dublin to London City Airport (cityjet). LCA is the best airport, it's so small there is minimal queueing and hassle.

Another terrible thing about Gatwick is having to pay for the ripoff Gatwick express into London.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Oh dear god......I had the misfortune of flying from Gatwick a few weeks back and experienced their new security measures......Makes the Dublin Airport Authority look somewhat professional in comparison.:mad:

Dreading what it'll be like at Xmas

What is so bad about Gatwick? Never flown to/from there before but it doesn't sound promising. :confused:

Advertisement