Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripper Street (BBC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

I missed the first show too.... prob just have to download and watch and record the rest - a lot of filming done in the Custom House too....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I liked tonight's episode.... diversifying the crimes (i.e. the crimes are not just of the Jack the Ripper variety), and also developing the characters (eg. Inspector Reid and his wife, Sergeant Drake's life in the army, and Captain Jackson's mysterious life in the US).

I would prefer if they linked the episodes together rather than solving one crime per episode. But nevertheless, it's a good show, very well made, and I'm looking forward to watching it next Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it me or is the language archly archaic? Feels like early 19th century at latest rather than near turn of the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Better storyline this week, it was a good episode with more character development. Have to agree with the language, at times it is grand but then at other times it sounds like it is from centuries ago. It sounds like the writers at times forget that they are writing in the past, so they introduce some real old fashioned dialogue to remind us of the time period. Like the introduction of Lusk and the vigilantes, hope we see them again in the future. I am enjoying this series so far, so am hoping it can keep up the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have to say I am really enjoying this series so far, the second episode was a definite improvement on the first. I think in the first episode they tried to cram too much violence and gore for shock value, but the second episode was a bit calmer and the story was developed better.

I know there are some anachronisms (I winced when I saw the very modern looking teddy bear at the start of the second episode) but I try not to let things like that bother me and just enjoy the story. I think the acting is strong, I especially like the character of Captain Jackson, I think his story could turn out to be very interesting. I actually don’t think the accents are that bad, fair play to Charlene, I didn’t think it was possible to hide that strong a Monaghan accent!

I have to agree with the previous poster who mentioned the sound quality; there are some scenes of dialogue where I struggle to hear, especially in the first episode. I actually had to turn on the subtitles in some parts. Oh my God, I have turned into my parents :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Very good but no Dids tonight disapointed:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Was this actually on on Sunday 13th Jan? I had it set to record (I though) but there is no new episode on my UPC box and no one was talking about it here so I'm hoping I didn't miss anything...did I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

miamee wrote: »
    Was this actually on on Sunday 13th Jan? I had it set to record (I though) but there is no new episode on my UPC box and no one was talking about it here so I'm hoping I didn't miss anything...did I?

it was on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

it was on

Feck...will have to check out if there is a repeat on. Thanks!

Who's playing the Colonel in tonight's episode.

I recognise his voice.

Is he in GoT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Ian Glen, he plays Jorah Mormont in GoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Yeah he is Ser Jorah in GoT. Took me a while to place his face as well.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Yeah he is Ser Jorah in GoT. Took me a while to place his face as well.

It was the voice that I recognised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

The show has been pretty consistent I think, I've enjoyed each episode. End of tonights was a little corny though, the birds and all.

Seeing Iain Glen reminded me of Channel 4s excellent (low budget) Victorian policer the name of which I've forgotten. It deserved a second series.

edit - City of Vice is the programme I was thinking of and it was mid 18th century so not Victorian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Long time lurker, first time...

Is it me, or is there a Shakespearean taint to the language, I have to admit, i didn't run through the postings before asking.

As an aside, I do like it, its a bit dark!

I've mentioned it, not Shakespearian but certainly more archaic than 120 years ago. I read somewhere that the language is pretty accurate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mike65 wrote: »
    I've mentioned it, not Shakespearian but certainly more archaic than 120 years ago. I read somewhere that the language is pretty accurate though.

If it weren't for the rambling beating around the bush with the language, each episode would probably last about 20 minutes.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BBC America has ordered an eight-episode second season of Ripper Street, to air in 2014

Is this repeated on BBC at all?

• Advertisement

No I don't think it is :(
    I really enjoyed tonight's episode, I like that we are starting to see a bit more of Inspector Reid's background now.

Dublin town has never looked so good! (where did they get all the sunshine from?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭apache

miamee wrote: »
    I really enjoyed tonight's episode, I like that we are starting to see a bit more of Inspector Reid's background now.
    Yeah I was wondering what the story was with his daughter and his scars.

About time he got together with ms orphanage lady. The chemistry was unreal.

Need to find out a bit more about the american....

I was disappointed when this wasn't on last Sunday - back to normal this week. I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more about Jackson & yer woman's past life in America, could be very interesting.

The kid got it! sniff :(

mike65 wrote: »
    The kid got it! sniff :(

I know, the poor kid :( Good episode I thought, though I wasn't paying enough attention at the start and got slightly lost between Swift and the other fella (Goldman?) at one point.

Sad that next week is the last episode but there is going to be a series two iirc so that's something to look forward to!

Did anyone watch this last night? I was a bit underwhelmed for a series finale I have to say. I was thinking it was all very conveniently going to be wrapped up
    regarding the daughter - though she would turn up alive but no.
    The actor playing Inspector Reid is not a great actor, I thought at last we might have seen a bit of disappointment or grief or something in the final episode but nada which was unfortunate.

It was lovely to see the Botanic Gardens in it :)

He's a stiff upper lip late Victorian. They don't burst into tears like modern men ;)

The Gardens did look lovely, I dunno where they got the weather from given it didn't stop raining last summer! It was nearly always fair in Ripper Street.

They must have been up at the crack of dawn - before the rain even :D I suppose yes, stiff upper lip and all that. Doesn't make for very good drama if you can't see the feelings bubbling beneath the surface though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Noticed a little plot hole. They mention that 1888 was last year but in a previous episode they referred to the Homestead strikes which were in the 1890s. There's probably more I'm sure.

Advertisement