Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripper Street (BBC)

Options
  • 01-11-2011 1:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I like the sound of this :)

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/10/ripper-street-bbc-commissions-new-8.html

Tiger Aspect Productions and co-producer Lookout Point have been commissioned by Danny Cohen, Controller BBC One and Ben Stephenson, Controller Drama Commissioning, to make 8-part drama series, Ripper Street for BBC One.

Created by writer Richard Warlow (Mistresses, Waking The Dead), Ripper Street is an extraordinary new drama set in the East End of London in 1889, during the aftermath of the "Ripper" murders. The action centres around the notorious H Division – the police precinct from hell – which is charged with keeping order in the chaotic streets of Whitechapel.

Ripper Street explores the lives of characters trying to recover from the Ripper's legacy, from crimes that have not only irretrievably altered their lives, but the very fabric of their city. At the drama's heart our detectives try to bring a little light into the dark world they inhabit.

Danny Cohen, Controller, BBC One, says: "Ripper Street is a gripping new drama for BBC One. Set against the backdrop of a fevered historical London, I believe it has the quality and intensity to be a hit with BBC One viewers."

Ripper Street will be executive produced for Tiger Aspect by Will Gould and Head of Drama Greg Brenman and for Lookout Point by Simon Vaughan (Parade's End, Titanic). Polly Hill will executive produce for the BBC. Shooting commences in spring 2012.

Greg Brenman says: "We are so excited about Ripper Street and believe that Richard Warlow is creating a period show that respects its moment in history whilst also achieving a thoroughly modern, entertaining and visceral piece of entertainment."

Simon Vaughan adds: "The Ripper case was the first ever mass-media man hunt and is known literally all over the world. We are producing a British drama with global ambitions and we are already having conversations with a number of US and international broadcasters who recognise the in built branding of the title."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Sounds very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/news/a376296/misfits-star-joe-gilgun-joins-bbc-one-thriller-ripper-street.html

Joe Gilgun has joined the cast of BBC One thriller Ripper Street.

The Misfits star told SFX that he has won a "guest lead part" in the period drama.

"I'm shooting in Dublin," Gilgun confirmed. "[It's] f**king so ace, I can't even tell you, I've grown a moustache and everything. It's epic, it's grown over my lip and I can curl it. I look like Charles Bronson after a famine."

The actor added that he is "bloody thrilled" to have won a role in the eight-part series, which stars Matthew Macfadyen.

"It's set in the time of Jack the Ripper," he said. "It's a guest lead part so I'm bloody thrilled with it. It's just such a bloody great job."

Set in 1899 London, Ripper Street will focus on H Division, the notorious police precinct charged with keeping order in Whitechapel.

Jerome Flynn (Game of Thrones), Adam Rothenberg (Alcatraz) and MyAnna Buring (Twilight) will also star in the project, written by Mistresses scribe Richard Warlow.

Shooting on Ripper Street is expected to conclude in July. The series will air on BBC One in the UK and on BBC America in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Filming finishes next week - Really looking forward to this. I belive it is airing in Autumn sometime :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11/16/bbc-america-announces-premiere-dates-for-ripper-street-wild-things-with-dominic-monaghan-spies-of-warsaw/158026/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

Premieres January 19th: In the aftermath of the Jack the Ripper murders, can anyone keep order in the blood stained London Streets? The eight-part BBC AMERICA co-production created by Richard Warlow, set in and around Victorian London, stars Matthew Macfadyen (Anna Karenina, MI-5, Pride and Prejudice), Jerome Flynn (Game of Thrones), Adam Rothenberg (Alcatraz), Myanna Buring (The Twilight Saga, White Heat) and David Dawson (Luther, Secret Diary of a Call Girl). Haunted by the failure to catch London’s most evil killer, Inspector Edmund Reid (Macfadyen) now heads up the notorious H Division, the toughest district in London’s East End. Charged with keeping order in the chaotic streets of Whitechapel, Inspector Reid is soon drawn deep into the seedy criminal underworld of Victorian London – where fear always lurks that each new murder could mark the return of The Ripper. Ripper Street premieres Saturday, January 19, 9:00pm ET.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here's a crazy idea, watch it on BBC1 as it goes out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

mike65 wrote: »
    Here's a crazy idea, watch it on BBC1 as it goes out :)

When is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

When is that?

The trailer says 'this Autumn' but that seems unlikely at this stage.

Skid wrote: »
    The trailer says 'this Autumn' but that seems unlikely at this stage.

The reason it has been pushed is due to the fact they have sold it to more networks than they thought. So they want to show it worldwide around the same dates with 2 - 3 days in the difference, if you know what i mean :cool:

Robson Jerome is turning into a superb character actor.

Robson Jerome is turning into a superb character actor.

Yeah, Jerome Flynn isn't bad either :p

Great to see him getting some good roles. I remember thinking 'whatever happened to the other guy from Robson and Jerome?' a few years ago. Really looking forward to this show.

• Advertisement

Digital Spy is reporting that Ripper Street will start on BBC One on December 30

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/s104/strictly-come-dancing/news/a442942/eastenders-who-strictly-bbc-one-confirms-christmas-day-lineup.html
    Other confirmed dates include the Strictly final - 6.30pm on December 22 - and the series launch of period crime thriller Ripper Street on December 30.

You can see me for about 1/3 of a sec :D

Can't wait. Ive seen EP 1 and been waiting for the air date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Sounds interesting. I don't even mind if it doesn't have much of a ripper angle to it either. I'm also very interested in Victorian London itself and am always disappointed when I go to London and it's a modern World city instead of dimly lit, grimy, winding cobbled streets and fog everywhere like Dicken's London might have been. Anyway, I hope this series will establish a convey a good "feel" for the era and area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

roanoke wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. I don't even mind if it doesn't have much of a ripper angle to it either. I'm also very interested in Victorian London itself and am always disappointed when I go to London and it's a modern World city instead of dimly lit, grimy, winding cobbled streets and fog everywhere like Dicken's London might have been. Anyway, I hope this series will establish a convey a good "feel" for the era and area.

Me too. Everywhere should still be gaslit! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Its starts tonight on BBC.
    All of the filming was done in Dublin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Its starts tonight on BBC.
    All of the filming was done in Dublin
    Excellent, thanks for the reminder. Recording set now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

A new drama set in the East End of London in 1889 during the aftermath of Jack The Ripper murders. The infamous H Division - the police precinct charged with keeping order in the district of Whitechapel- is in a chaotic state trying to keep order after a tumultuous time for London and reported infamously worldwide.

The series stars Matthew Macfadyen, Jerome Flynn and Adam Rothenberg and was filmed entirely in Dublin in Clancy Barracks beside Clancy Quay and Trinity College.

So did anyone watch it?

I caught the first episode tonight,I liked it but I'm not sure how its going to play out so I think ill give it a look again next week.

I really liked the Doctor character but I think I'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw it, kinda like ITVs Whitechapel sent back 120 years, the late Victorian grubbiness and sleaze all laid on with a trowel and not to be taken too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Watched episode 1 tonight, I really liked it and I am looking forward to next week's episode.

It reminded me of the new Sherlock Holmes movies by Guy Ritchie that star Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law.

• Advertisement

Watched it and while I enjoyed it I also felt that it could have been so much more. The opening scenes were pretty much the opening to the first Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes and while it is only the first episode I felt that the mystery really wasn't all that interesting. A lot was made of collecting evidence at the crime scene and different nods to forensics but they were soon forgotten in favor of some more cheap titillation. With a little air to breath the episode could really have been something a little special as the setting is fantastic and the basic story had lots of potential. Hopefully the episodes to come will strive to tell a bigger story than just murder of the week tales. Also be nice to see some of the less gifted actors get their accents straight, some of the cast let their natural accent slip in but no one really stuck our, bar the Irish hooker who I'm told was in Raw. she was dreadful and completely unconvincing, really had hoped she'd be killed off but sadly tis not to be. The last few minutes of the episode made it clear where her story is going to go and I hope to Christ the writers do something a little bit unexpected with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It was better than I thought it would be - I'd call it Law and Order SVU with top hat and tails. I'll be watching next week. I'd imagine they will edge away from Jack the Ripper once the characters become established. The doctor's backstory might be interesting (
    obviously on the run from something
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I thought it was good but it could have been better. The acting is very good but the storyline was pretty poor, it was not really that interesting of a crime. It seemed like something they might have stretched out over a few episodes, but then they solved it rather quickly without making it that exciting. It definitely has potential, the setting is very good and the acting is of a high quality but the storyline needs to be more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

does anyone know if it will be repeated i missed it :mad: and the bbc iplayer wont let me watch it from ireland, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Enjoyed it, looks like it has potential. Great setting and time period. Jerome Flynn has turned out to be a pretty good actor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I actually quite enjoyed this though I did feel it could have been better, more gripping. I'm still looking forward to next week's episode anyway it definitely has potential.

Gal44, I have looked but can't see a repeat listed on the BBC website unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

The Beeb obviously have confidence in it as another series is supposedly ready to go into production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Found some of the sound quality quite poor, and some of the dialogue got lost because of it. Thought I would enjoy it more than I did. Average but could go either way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Watched this yesterday , I did like it. Then again I like that period in history , and the ripper intrigues me. I think they'll have to move it away from all the "Jack" references or else people will get annoyed thinking its Sherlock except with Jack the Ripper.
    There was a very large logic jump that Mulder or Criminal Minds would be proud of , which I dont like shows to do.

8/10 - far from the worst thing I watched all Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

The series stars Matthew Macfadyen, Jerome Flynn and Adam Rothenberg and was filmed entirely in Dublin in Clancy Barracks beside Clancy Quay and Trinity College.

Very cool! I thought I spotted Kilmainham in the ad alright. Will definitely have to watch it now.

Advertisement