Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two days to giving away €718 million!

Options
  • 31-10-2011 11:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

We are just two days away before we give away €718 million (see here).

Now I know there are supposed good reasons for doing this but somehow it don't sit right with me.
    Honestly, would anyone be willing to say why we should be going ahead with this massive payout?
    It just seems madness at first and second glance - is there someone that can say there is justifiable reason/benefit to our nation to be doing this in two days?

I'm still not convinced they are doing the right thing!

Is giving away the money the right thing to do? 256 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    10% 28 votes
    Maybe but not convinced - IF there is long term benefit!
    73% 187 votes
    Don't know - don't care!
    16% 41 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

FG are the very same as that last shower of wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

I thought only amounts in the billions were discussed these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Its about choices and this government are choosing to bail out Goldman sachs for their gambles and close our hospitals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

Am I the only one who thought this had something to with the lotto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

We shouldn't pay them one single penny. They are unguaranteed bonds and we don't owe them even the courtesy of a smile. Especially not when public services are being hit. The current shower is just as bad as Fianna Fáil was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It would sit a lot easier with me if the bankers and politicians who caused this disaster were dead or serving life sentences for crimes against the State

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Better to spend some of it buying some decent pairs of balls for our leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Am I the only one who thought this had something to with the lotto?

I thought biggins had come into money and had two days to give it away. I is disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How do we stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

with bricks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

How do we stop them?

As constantine said on vinb double tap to the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Could someone take out an injunction to prevent it or something?

At least that would draw attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Who are the bondholders exactly???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

We will never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I brought this up in the Irish Economy forum and from what I could ascertain the bank is obliged to pay it both in respect to how banks operate and how the ECB wants us to deal with senior bondholders.

I'm all for giving bondholder the fingers and letting them go to hell and I dont think there is anything that says the bailout or emergency bank funds will be affected if we burn them but at the same time its proceeds from the sale of Anglo assets and senior bondholders seem to be first in line to benefit from that. Its not about what benefit it will have or to who its about what Anglo is obliged to do with the proceeds of the sale of assets.

Thats how I understood it anyway. Personally I'd keep it and tell the bondholder and ECB to fcuk each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

That was asked today by a few people in the media.
    So far no one has clearly said I think - but part of me is suspicious to think that many a mate of a politician or a politician themselves might be part of those awaiting this payout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

they are unsecured bonds, they are not guarenteed a return, the bonds aren't preforming, they holders shouldn't expect a return, they are in no way entitled to a return.

They knew the rules going into it, they should accept them now and either sell up or ride it out and hope for a return later.

Who cares? It's 5% of the size of our deficit and it's a condition of our bailout which we need to keep our massive deficit (and country) going.

GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT, PEOPLE.

Kadongy wrote: »
    Physically stop it from happening.
    No time for any other approach.
    Find out what needs to physically happen and physically obstruct that from happening.

Short of storming the Dail and abducting the cabinet I don't think there is any of physically stopping it, it's not like there will be trucks full of cash driving onto ferries and delivering the money to the bond holders....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

The bank in question is defunct, their money is gone, lost in the void that is hedge fund lala land,they should get nothing. It is clearly stated on every ad for investment banking the value of your investment may go up or down and you could suffer a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Biggins wrote: »
    That was asked today by a few people in the media.
    So far no one has clearly said I think - but part of me is suspicious to think that many a mate of a politician or a politician themselves might be part of those awaiting this payout.

Mostly the German banks, they were falling over themselves to loan to Irish banks in the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Seaneh wrote: »
    they are unsecured bonds, they are not guarenteed a return, the bonds aren't preforming, they holders shouldn't expect a return, they are in no way entitled to a return.

They knew the rules going into it, they should accept them now and either sell up or ride it out and hope for a return later.

They are not guaranteed by the state but they do stand to recoup the bond if the bank has sufficient assets to cover it when wound down. The guaranteed bondholders were covered no matter what and paid with state money. This isnt state money we are talking about its proceeds from the sale of Anglo assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Sickening.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Mostly the German banks, they were falling over themselves to loan to Irish banks in the boom.

Banks own most of the unsecured bonds?

Not likely mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Isn't Roman Abramovich one of those involved in this?

MungBean wrote: »
    They are not guaranteed by the state but they do stand to recoup the bond if the bank has sufficient assets to cover it when wound down. The guaranteed bondholders were covered no matter what and paid with state money. This isnt state money we are talking about its proceeds from the sale of Anglo assets.

The proceeds of the sale of anglo assets IS state money now.

Could be, no way to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

He likes to take money from countries with bad economies and stupid governments and give it to people who are good at football.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As the article suggests - bonds are assets which can be sold on, whole or in part. It's likely that other banks are on the hook, and if so, they won't exactly want to advertise that fact, will they?

A failure to pay out on a bond on schedule would be like you failing to pay your credit card bill on time: depending on the contract, you could be liable for extra charges, and your credit rating will take a knock. Ireland's credit rating has already taken some knocks: it means that if the govt. wants to borrow money in the future (by issuing another bond), the interest rate will be higher. Giving bondholders a haircut is not without consequences.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its appears possible so - and whats more, it appears that he threatened to sue if he didn't get his money!

See for example: http://www.google.com/search?q=Roman%20Abramovich%20bond%20holder%20threats#hl=en&sa=X&ei=hyevTs7wPIbJhAeZhZGYBg&ved=0CBYQBSgA&q=Roman+Abramovich+bondholder+threats&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=19557f1f637173eb&biw=1024&bih=1165

Advertisement