Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Garda comments on Roma, Dubs, Guinness and Footlocker shoes :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

540 beggars arrested since February.. How many pickpockets have been caught in the same period?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The PC thugs will be all over that copper:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Solnskaya wrote: »
    proof ^ that most child stars end up as bitter adults. I preferred when you were skipping through the forest, thrilling us with your escapes from peril Bambi. Now you are just a cynical old dear.:)

Don't go stepping on my toes sonny, I'm an ungulate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Two little Roma kids called to the door their coincidentally just now. They were trick or treating. Didn't rob me, stab me, spit at me, they even looked human. You lot make my stomach turn to be honest.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Two little Roma kids called to the door their coincidentally just now. They were trick or treating. Didn't rob me, stab me, spit at me, they even looked human. You lot make my stomach turn to be honest.

Nobody here even mentioned any of these things (unless you consider begging to be robbing)? Nor did they suggest they aren't human?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Sacramento wrote: »
    Nobody here even mentioned any of these things (unless you consider begging to be robbing)? Nor did they suggest they aren't human?

I was highlighting the fact that people want to tar a racial group based on the fact they beg, which of course is not a crime. "Kick them all out", that's pretty hate filled and stomach turning in my opinion. Or would you disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I seen how lucrative it is. I was coming home on the nightlink and some traveller were counting their begging proceeds for the day, wads, I asked where did you get the 50s, they told me from some shop and sometimes people give you 50.

There was 3 of them and each of them had 2 to 300 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

syklops wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no way to stop people coming into the country. The border is wide open.

As a non-citizen, I can safely say that this is complete and utter bull****.

I was highlighting the fact that people want to tar a racial group based on the fact they beg, which of course is not a crime. "Kick them all out", that's pretty hate filled and stomach turning in my opinion. Or would you disagree?

Well that I get, but it's far better to address the argument in that manner than to categorically list things nobody has actually accused them of doing in the discussion so far.

My own personal experience of their begging has been that they are often quite aggressive beggars, following you around or even knocking on your door. This form of begging is illegal. They have also been documented sending their children out to beg. In fact, a house of Roma people that used to live a few doors down from me would knock around to all their neighbours begging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Didn't France decide to do something along those lines. I propose kicking out the Roma that partake in begging and especially robbing graves. We don't need that here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think begging is a crime now, I have zero sympathy for roma beggars.
    they are a menace to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I am having the same problem as you .Nearly ever few weeks we have smelly Roma kids calling to our door begging for sweets:mad:Why where they let in to the EU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

There's a difference....

Roma gypsies != Romanians!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Were they dressed as beggars?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

540 beggars arrested since February.. How many pickpockets have been caught in the same period?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Have you checked your backyard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

phasers wrote: »
    who's giving beggars €50 notes?

I've seen a pensioner give the barefoot roma beggar on henry st 20 euro and pair of runners from penney's.

The fúcker threw the runners into a bin after she left. Bastard :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Totally agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

We Have checked - you're backward!
    No call for that. I was next to a Roma couple in a filling station today- Mr Roma was putting €100 of unleaded in his Brabus Mercedes. I've never seen a Brabus Mercedes before, but it just didn't look cheap.....I wonder what he does for a living to afford that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

They are still around in ireland because obviously they are making a killing here. They exploit mostly old people, calling to their homes and using distraction techniques to fleece them . The old people i help in the neighbourhood all feel sorry for them and wont hear of you critcising them begging outside shops. They dont even bother asking younger people for money as they know their target market well.
    Next time shoeless lad is on grafton street someone should "accidentally" spill a large box of thumbtacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

syklops wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no way to stop people coming into the country. The border is wide open.

+1.

The schengen agreement removed border controls across most if not all of mainland Europe. Ireland and uk both opted out and (correct me if I'm wrong but) Ireland and uk have their own agreement where both countries citizens don't neccessarily need passports as primary ids to enter either country (except if you are flying by ryanair :) )

Irish and British need their passports to enter schengen Countries and vice versa.

Schengen countries are:
    * Austria
    * Belgium
    * Czech Republic
    * Denmark
    * Estonia
    * Finland
    * France
    * Germany
    * Greece
    * Hungary
    * Iceland
    * Italy
    * Latvia
    * Lithuania
    * Luxembourg
    * Malta
    * Netherlands
    * Norway
    * Poland
    * Portugal
    * Slovakia
    * Slovenia
    * Spain
    * Sweden
    * Switzerland

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No call for that. I was next to a Roma couple in a filling station today- Mr Roma was putting 100 of unleaded in his Brabus Mercedes. I've never seen a Brabus Mercedes before, but it just didn't look cheap.....I wonder what he does for a living to afford that??

Maybe he just doesn't buy shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

People need to stop giving beggars money.

Problem solved.

yea cause when you stop giving money they will also give up robbery's burglary and atm scams ??? cop on

ANY forgin national committing crime should be sent back to nation of origin and the cost of the flight billed to that nations embassy

and this should happen in reverse to Irish citizens abroad

live in a host nation you respect its laws - don't like them ? well feck off then

and for the predictable response from do good pc brigade i say this
    suck my balls
    our laws - so tough ****

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Maybe he just doesn't buy shoes?
    Savage! I'm doing without shoes from now on, woo hoo, I'm gettin a brabus, I'm gettin a Brabus. My shoes cost about €20, how long till I have enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

They were probably ordinary Irish kids dressed as Roma gypsies for Halloween. There's no other explanation.

If they had been bona fide Roma gypsies you definitely would have been stabbed, spat at or robbed. Perhaps all three at once...something they call 'The Gypsy Trinity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

"Senior Garda comments on Roma, Dubs, Guinness and Footlocker shoes :)"

Senior Garda, SENIOR - how irresponsible - wind up the multiudes yet again... mention the word Roma and watch the usual St. Patricks Day parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I'm assuming you're a non-EU citizen, right?
    thomasj wrote: »
    The schengen agreement removed border controls across most if not all of mainland Europe. Ireland and uk both opted out and (correct me if I'm wrong but) Ireland and uk have their own agreement where both countries citizens don't neccessarily need passports as primary ids to enter either country (except if you are flying by ryanair :) )

Irish and British need their passports to enter schengen Countries and vice versa.

In essence our borders are wide open to EU citizens. Our Schengen opt-out means we retain border controls at points of entry. Only in exceptional circumstances however can an EU citizen be refused right of entry as laid out in Directive 2004/38/EC
    On what grounds can EU countries restrict freedom of movement
    and residence?

Public policy, public security and public health grounds

EU countries may impose restrictions where this is justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health.

Any such restrictions, such as a denial of entry, a refusal of residence or an expulsion measure, must comply with the terms and conditions laid down in the Directive.
    Procedural safeguards
    EU citizens and their family members are also protected by the following procedural safeguards.

Written notification and appeal

If expelled or denied entry, the decision must:

• be notified in writing and in a way that enables the person concerned to
    comprehend its content and the implications for them;
    • include precise and full information of the grounds on which the decision is
    based; and
    • specify the court or administrative authority with which the person concerned may lodge an appeal and the time limit for the appeal.

Access to judicial redress

The persons concerned must have access to judicial and where appropriate
    administrative redress procedures to appeal or seek review of any decision against them
    on these grounds. These procedures must allow for an examination of the legality of the
    decision, as well as of the facts and circumstances on which the proposed measure is
    based.

Chinasea wrote: »
    "Senior Garda comments on Roma, Dubs, Guinness and Footlocker shoes :)"

Senior Garda, SENIOR - how irresponsible - wind up the multiudes yet again... mention the word Roma and watch the usual St. Patricks Day parade
    So no more mentioning the word "Roma" then? Sh1te, thats our wednesday pasta evening ruined. Can we use the words "popular Italian style tomato based condiment" instead??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I'm assuming you're a non-EU citizen, right?

In essence our borders are wide open to EU citizens. Our Schengen opt-out means we retain border controls at points of entry. Only in exceptional circumstances however can an EU citizen be refused right of entry as laid out in

Yet there are still passport controls at the border. You cannot simply waltz into Ireland. And states can petition to restrict work permits (and subsequently, permission to remain); a few months ago, Spain successfully petitioned to limit labor market access for Romanians.

Also, Irish people have just as equal access to other countries. I wish people would stop acting so put-upon - you all could just as easily go to Spain as Poles could come to Ireland.

And, yes, I am not an EU citizen. But there are a lot of Irish people who rage against open borders, yet seem baffled that, as an American citizen, I (and many others) had a lot of visa problems. You don't just walk into Ireland as an EU system, but the process is straightforward. As a non-EU citizen, it is completely arbitrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

So no more mentioning the word "Roma" then? Sh1te, thats our wednesday pasta evening ruined. Can we use the words "popular Italian style tomato based condiment" instead??

Thats your fault. If you ate Dolmio it wouldnt be an issue.

Advertisement