Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you have a long-term relationship with someone without sex?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anyone ever notice the ratio of women posting in these threads compared to others?! Interesting! :p

Anyhoo, I would be able to abstain for a little bit, but definately not for too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I don't think so. Sex isn't the most important thing for sure, but it's pretty important. And to be honest, if I wasn't getting good sex at home, I'd be looking elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Shpuds

Nope! I got married, wasn't working out that great. The sex stopped, I went off and looked else where. Now in a grand aul' relationship with the bonus of getting d'ride. Don't get me wrong, not the most important but it's a big part

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ClaireMorris

hondasam wrote: »
    That's a difficult question to answer,there is more to a relationship than sex, it's important but if you love someone you will find a way to be happy.
    I'm talking about a married couple not a new relationship.

Dont think so....It is usually very tough if not impossible for one of the partners

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

It would be odd to be in a relationship with someone without sex. I would definitely prefer that they were one sex or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Dont think so....It is usually very tough if not impossible for one of the partners

I'm sure it would be tough but you don't just stop loving someone.
    It's one of these scenarios, until it happens you cannot know how you would react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

No problem.

I have the ability to express and receive love without using my cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

OutlawPete wrote: »
    No problem.

I actually have the ability to express and receive love without using my cock.

It's little outlaw:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

OutlawPete wrote: »
    No problem.

I have the ability to express and receive love without using my cock.

Good lad!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

there most likely is people who can, i like to think my mother and her partner don't really get it on all that much.
    I on the other hand would say a blanket no, no sex = no relationship. no sex = friendship or even potential boredom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think I could quite easily.

You should come around my place for coffee some time ;).

Seriously, one cup only. Then you'll have to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Yeah I'd stay with my boyfriend if for some reason we couldn't have sex. Don't get me wrong I think sex is a huge part of a relationship but I love him, he's the father of my child, he makes me laugh, we can still talk into the night, I love waking up beside him, I love seeing how great he is with our daughter and how much she adores him. So yes sex is important but not as much as all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 happyfounder

it depends
    probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Well I'm asexual so I'd prefer it! BUT that being said when I like someone, I do enjoy the intimacy. I don't get anything out of the physical act, but the closeness it brings is what I like. There's just certain things I'd prefer not to do because they gross me out too much!

I guess for me I prefer romantic friendships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Lavezzi

Well if there's no sex it's just a friendship really isn't it?

This defines the extreme corrupted liberal mind-frame of the modern Irish sheeple better than I could have imagined was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lavezzi wrote: »
    This defines the extreme corrupted liberal mind-frame of the modern Irish sheeple better than I could have imagined was possible.

What a presumptuous and supercilious load of bullshit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't mean to sound like an ass...

But a couple of weeks ago I did walk past someone who appeared to be quite disabled with someone I assumed to be his girlfreind and all I could think was, "for sex, does she just throw a strap on on him?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

if she was ugly and rich and I needed the money then yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No way. Sex is probably the most important element for me. Not necessarily acrobatics, but sexual intimacy.
    Well if there's no sex it's just a friendship really isn't it?

Obviously you're angry because you're not getting any, and I know you think it makes you look really clever and renegade-ish to use those tired phrases, but it doesn't.
    It's just sex - nothing to do with being corrupted or liberal (derp) or sheeple, don't take it personally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

No, definitely not. If you're not having sex with your girlfriend or boyfriend then really they're just your roomate. Kissing and cuddling is nice and all but you don't have the same level of physical intimacy as when you're creatively trying to make someone reach orgasm.

Also, having arguments would be awful since you'd know that at the end of it there wouldn't be any makeup sex!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

In the short term I could probably cope, and I'm talking a month or two here maybe. Even then I'd start to feel pretty disconnected from my partner (not to mention frustrated) after as little as ten days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

aujopimur wrote: »
    What kind of disability would prevent someone having sex?.

zackerly disease?

It seems some people here can't get their head around the idea that two people can be happy in a romantic relationship without needing to have sex.

It's important for the majority of people, but Jesus Christ not everyone's into the same stuff.

Live and let live people. And keep your smelly bits away from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I could live without penetrative sex if there was plenty of other sex but if there was no sex drive then no that would kill my self esteem, id end up a clingy insecure gagging for it wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

OneArt wrote: »
    It seems some people here can't get their head around the idea that two people can be happy in a romantic relationship without needing to have sex.

It's important for the majority of people, but Jesus Christ not everyone's into the same stuff.

What's good for one person or couple might not be good for another. Fair play to you if you can be happy in a relationship without sexual intimacy, but maybe you should take some of your own advice and live and let live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OneArt wrote: »

That's not what I'm seeing at all - people are only saying that they personally couldn't be in a sexless relationship, not that others should feel the same way. I have a high sex drive - can't help it. That said, when single I'm not humping all and sundry, but in a relationship it's a must for me.
    The only intolerant comment I see here is the stupid "sheeple" one, which is directed at those who wouldn't be in a sexless relationship.
    But if people aren't into sex, cool - each to their own. There are times when I'm not into it either. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

doovdela wrote: »
    It wouldn't really matter to me as sex isn't all that important to me. I wouldn't be bothered being in a long term relationship and no sex if anything it be more likely to happen the other way around.

Though I need to be compatible with them I suppose in the long run it might be a deciding factor but for a new relationship it wouldn't matter, sex wouldn't be everything.

I assume you're female? A guy with that attitude would have his mancard revoked permanently *shudder*.

Dudess wrote: »
    That's not what I'm seeing at all - people are only saying that they personally couldn't be in a sexless relationship, not that others should feel the same way. I have a high sex drive - can't help it. That said, when single I'm not humping all and sundry, but in a relationship it's a must for me.
    The only intolerant comment I see here is the stupid "sheeple" one, which is directed at those who wouldn't be in a sexless relationship.
    But if people aren't into sex, cool - each to their own. There are times when I'm not into it either. :)

Note that I only said SOME people, in reference to the comment that a relationship without sex is just a friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

If I was already madly in love with the person then and it was as a result of a physical disability then yeah, definitely.

If he was choosing to not have sex because of some psychological reason, then I don't know. No matter how much I loved him, I think it would just make me feel so insecure. I'm certainly not confident enough to assume it had nothing to do with me. I'd just think he was either getting it somewhere else or settling for me til someone he is sexually attracted to came along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Call over and I'll show you my modern Irish steeple, wheh wheh wheh :pac:

Advertisement