Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 19 considered old to be doing the Leaving Cert?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭donegal_man

My cousin left school right after his Inter Cert (now Junior Cert) to go to work on the family farm and after a few years realised that he wanted to complete his education so ended up doing his Leaving at 24 and going on to get a degree. So no, 19 is definitely not old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Prodigious wrote: »
    TY is a pure waste of time IMO

It was a waste of a year, but what 18 year old really knows what they want from life?

At 20 when you go to college there is a bit more cop on at play.

Murtinho, seriously, as long as you tell your son "you are aware you will be 20 going " and if he is okay with that then go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Murtinho wrote: »
    just need a few quick opinions on this, my son suddenly wants to do transition yr meaing he will be 20 by the time he gets his results!

This seems a bit obscene to me, i keep picturing the AC/DC lads in their uniforms! I can see the advantages of being more mature for the LC & college straight afterwards etc.

What say ye?

If he's ok with being that age finishing school then I don't see anything wrong with it. I know people in leaving cert at the moment who are going to be 20 by the summer but no one sees anything wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Murtinho wrote: »
    just need a few quick opinions on this, my son suddenly wants to do transition yr meaing he will be 20 by the time he gets his results!

This seems a bit obscene to me, i keep picturing the AC/DC lads in their uniforms! I can see the advantages of being more mature for the LC & college straight afterwards etc.

What say ye?

He says he wants to do transition year? i would let him, i loved transition year! i only turned 16 in transition year but i ended up repeating the leaving cert this year at 18 but there are many here who are 21 or 22 , nobody notices any difference in ages!I don't see any problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

thanks for the input lads, im just dubious of his motives, ie wants to stay with his mates, i'd be fine with him not going to college until he's in his 20's. I was just turned 17 when I did my leaving and went to college that autumn, way too young, ended up going back at 23 so I get that.

We kept him back in NS as we moved home from abroad and allways had planned on him skipping TS, just the last couple of days, talking to people has me wondering if it would be ok to stay on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No harm at all to be 20 or even 21. With the amount of people who now repeat the Leaving, he certainly won't be the oldest in his college class.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I'll be 19 - nearly 20 - sitting my Leaving Cert next year, as I had a serious illness for most of 6th Year and had to put it off. I still think I'm better off doing it at 19 than doing it at 16 or 17 like some people.

Advertisement