Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 19 considered old to be doing the Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 30-10-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd get people's thoughts on this. Do you think 19 is old to be leaving school and doing the Leaving Cert? :) Cos most people are probably around 18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Its a little bit old but not unusual. I'll be nearly 19 doing the leaving but to be honest its pretty great because I get to be 18 the whole of 6th year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

A lot of people who had done TY were turning 19 during the Leaving Cert year, I wouldn't see it as that unusual at all! :)

And as Chuchoter said, you get to avoid all the problems of not being 18 in LC and college ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

definetly not too old makes it even better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Well, I was 19 when I did mine so... no I don't think it's too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

No, I did mine when I was 19, and I know quite a few people who were almost as old as me.

Why even ask though? I mean really, if we all said "yes, it's far too old", what would you do?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just wondering OP what is your POV?

Are you a parent of a young child trying to decided whether to start your son/daughter in school at 4 or 5?

If so I'd say send your child in at 4 you have an extra year to play around with. If the child has problems in school and needs to repeat a year or has health issues and needs to repeat a year at some stage since sitting a LC at 20 would probably be seen as too old and leave the child having struggling too get to know others in class.

19 is probably fine gelling socially with a class and I wouldn't say its too old for any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wait........ considered? Considered by who? What does age have to do with anything when doing the Leaving Cert? I'm confused!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

19 would be very much towards the younger end of the scale for people doing the Leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

spurious wrote: »
    19 would be very much towards the younger end of the scale for people doing the Leaving.

Really? I was 17 :P

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not unusual at all!! Probably better to be that age going to college as well

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Not at all.. My birthday is in July and I was 16 doing my leaving cert. 17 after it. To be honest I was way too young and immature and as a result i ended up repeating. You are in a far better position if you are that little bit older..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Nah it's not really. I remember there were some people in my class who had turn 19 when I did the Leaving Cert. It's not unusual at all.

As long as you're between 17 and 19 when doing the Leaving cert I wouldn't consider it unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

i was 19 when i was doing it,best thing was being old enough to head out to night clubs on the weekend and brag about it in school on monday mornings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

wardy2 wrote: »
    i was 19 when i was doing it,best thing was being old enough to head out to night clubs on the weekend and brag about it in school on monday mornings :D

Nah, even better than being 19 when you're in 6th year is being the only 18 year old in 5th year.... God I was a popular man back in those days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I was 16 throughout 6th year and just turned 17 before the LC. Most of my friends were 18 doing it with a few 19 year old peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I repeated my leaving, so as a result I had just gone 19 doing my repeat lc. I like it though, as most people in first year maynooth are 19 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I changed schools in 6th year and was forced to go back to 5th year so I was 19 doing mine, I also went and resat the leaving at 20. In my repeat year there was a 16 year old and several in their 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Of course it is! Anybody who is a shade over 14 sitting the leaving cert is destined for failure:P Some of the greatest minds to have ever graced this earth finished school at 19 and older.

This line of thinking is the product of social conditioning from the powers that be. "You can't possibly be a second older than 17!". I call nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Doing good in your leaving is all that counts never mind what age you are..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

AdamD wrote: »
    Really? I was 17 :P
    She said "towards the younger end of the scale". :)

People sometimes do their LC at 50 or older! ;)

OP, 19 isn't old to be doing LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

No OP 19 isn't too old to be doing the Leaving.

Most people are 17-19 starting their exams.

Anyway there's someone in my year who's going to be 20 starting his exams so don't be too stressed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Call Me Lia

I am turning 19 this January and doing the leaving cert this June. I started school a year older than most people and also did transition this year

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

I was only 16 doing my Leaving Cert. I turned 17 in August and went off to college. No problems with school, study or the exams, but I was DEFINITELY too young to go to college. On the plus side, I had my degree before I was 20 and did the Dip before I was 21...and then started teaching 19 year olds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm repeating theres people in my year who are 20 so 19 isn't old .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm repeating it now, and I'l be 19 in February. Perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I'm 20! Never too old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I'm 20! Never too old :D

just need a few quick opinions on this, my son suddenly wants to do transition yr meaing he will be 20 by the time he gets his results!

This seems a bit obscene to me, i keep picturing the AC/DC lads in their uniforms! I can see the advantages of being more mature for the LC & college straight afterwards etc.

What say ye?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Murtinho wrote: »
    just need a few quick opinions on this, my son suddenly wants to do transition yr meaing he will be 20 by the time he gets his results!

This seems a bit obscene to me, i keep picturing the AC/DC lads in their uniforms! I can see the advantages of being more mature for the LC & college straight afterwards etc.

What say ye?

TY is a pure waste of time IMO

Advertisement