Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former occupants post

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If one throws former occupants post back into a letter box marked "Not known at this address"/"Gone Away"/"F€cked off"/whatever do the post office actually have to return it to the sender given that one (presumably) hasnt put extra stamps on it ?

How does it work now with mail originally sent via carriers other than An Post/Royal Mail ?
    gurramok wrote: »
    Same is happening to me as Mike1972, mail is literally arriving for at least 7 different people at my address weekly and I moved in 18 months ago. Got fed up of returning mail in the first few months so its handy for the fire..

My parents have lived at their current address for over twenty years and still receive Christmas cards for the previous occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    If one throws former occupants post back into a letter box marked "Not known at this address"/"Gone Away"/"F€cked off"/whatever do the post office actually have to return it to the sender given that one (presumably) hasnt put extra stamps on it ?

How does it work now with mail originally sent via carriers other than An Post/Royal Mail ?

Makes no odds. It's technically An Post / Royal Mails issue until it's opened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Mike 1972 wrote: »

If it's marked "NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS" they get returned to sender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Got a letter to a former occupant in a house I was living in once. It was from the Garda Ombudsman.

Since he'd left no forwarding address and never contacted us about any mail that came for him we opened it.

Turns out the cops had searched the gaff a few months before we moved in and yer man had made a complaint about the manner the search was conducted. Dodgy dodgy dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Once they came down and the guy walked into the hall univited (when I wasn't there, my OH was)

WHAT OP ?? !! The former tenants still have keys ? To YOUR flat ?
    No offence, but do you ned your head examined ?

If the landlord hasn't already changed the locks, change them yourself and bill him. Alternatively, you should demand the keys on their next visit.

F*ck them and their post. Let them go to the post office and arrange their mail to be sent on.
    There is a quarterly charge for this, but that's their problem, certainly not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

marcsignal wrote: »
    WHAT OP ?? !! The former tenants still have keys ? To YOUR flat ?
    No offence, but do you ned your head examined ?

If the landlord hasn't already changed the locks, change them yourself and bill him. Alternatively, you should demand the keys on their next visit.

F*ck them and their post. Let them go to the post office and arrange their mail to be sent on.
    There is a quarterly charge for this, but that's their problem, certainly not yours.

He already answered that - they don't have the keys. His missus/mister opened the door and the guy walked in without invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Just open it. Might be free money inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    He already answered that - they don't have the keys. His missus/mister opened the door and the guy walked in without invitation.

Ah ! my misread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Next time tell them to sort out their address,change it where appropriate,they have one week to do it or you're throwing it away. And tell them if they ever walk into your apartment again you'll call the gardai. Then ring your landlord and tell him to come around and change the locks.

LOL

Internet forum user alert!! :eek:

Will smile polietly and hand over mail. Possibility of hinting at change of address. Bit of mumbling, maybe a even re address and send them back before they get there. No confrontation ever :eek:
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Write "return to sender, no longer at this address" and drop it in the postbox.

This smells of win ;)

Advertisement