Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former occupants post

Options
  • 28-10-2011 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

So we're living in our place since April. Former tenants moved in march

Every week without fail we get post for the previous tenants

I don't mind except they keep coming around for it. This isn't the GPO or your local sorting office we're running. Once they came down and the guy walked into the hall univited (when I wasn't there, my OH was)

Just today there's a letter here and it's a distinctive enough letter and 2 of these came before. Both times it was v important mail. So I have no doubt they'll be back.

Can I genuinely do something with these letters? I'm tempted to burn them on a bonfire ... but can I not return them to the postman somehow and then tell the previous tenants that we got nothing?

Each time it's different people from the same family and it's starting to wreck my head!

It surely couldn't take you 7 months to change address and especially if it's someone who sends important mail.... Makes me think they're claiming to still live here when they dont

JustAddWater does not approve :) lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's not your post, return them to the sorting office and tell them that's what you're going to do with their mail from now on. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Next time tell them to sort out their address,change it where appropriate,they have one week to do it or you're throwing it away. And tell them if they ever walk into your apartment again you'll call the gardai. Then ring your landlord and tell him to come around and change the locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭ThelotusKid

Ask them for a cut of the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Write "return to sender, no longer at this address" and drop it in the postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Cross out the address, write "no longer at this address" and it put in any postbox. The sorting office will send the letters back to the senders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Did they let themselves into the communal hall or inside the property you are renting? I wouldnt wait for them to do it again. I would just lodge the details with the Gardai in case they do it again and tell the landlord the previous tenants have keys and you want the locks changed. I get the feeling they are claiming for something at that address and thats why they dont want do lodge a change of address or they dont want some undesirable scumbag to know where they live. They must be a bit intimidating or you would have told them to feck off by now. Awkward situation for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I duct tape over the address and toss it into a post pox if there is a return address.
    Otherwise the fire.
    A few times some people came asking for a letter after having been gone from the house for over a year.
    If it's so effing important, remember to change your address...

OP just say you've mailed it off again. Wait for them to leave, then burn it.
    Once you stop doing them favours they should stop coming around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Open the letters, make it obvious you've done so and give them their post when they call, you can say you forgot to check the name on envelope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

The landlord did change locks in fairness when we started the lease. They definitely don't have keys. its a house so yeah he stepped in the hallway, but not fully into the house. It's a young woman then an elderly woman other times, so he himself has not been back

Once we were away for a few days so they asked the neighbours loads of times where we were! Neighbours just said they would mention they called (which they did) but sounds like they wrecked the neighbours head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

call the cops and explain, get advice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

They sound like a royal pain in the hole.

I'd go with the 'return to sender' route and tell them that's what you're doing.. They won't be long about updating their details with anyone important.

Cheeky gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

We moved house in '09. The vendors were really nice people. They (like us) paid An Post for a mail redirect for six months (its only a few quid). We still get the odd mail and drop it into them.

But I would - as already advised - just pop them into the local mailbox marked 'return to sender - no longer at this address'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Whenever yer man calls round next tell him to change the address cos the next letter than comes for him will be rammed up his ignorant hole.

That'll fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Use it as toilet paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Freddie59 wrote: »
    They (like us) paid An Post for a mail redirect for six months (its only a few quid).

Would ya mind paying for one for me, it's only a few quid?

Wish I had €75 to spend on a mail redirection. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A debt collector came to my Sister's house while I was babysitting once looking for a previous owner. Letters had been coming for a while and we sent them back, but the loan company/debt collector didn't get the message...

Tell them to go and shyte OP, or else start charging them handling fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Winter is coming, you need fuel to get a good fire going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I used to get letters to my place from GE Money for a previous tenant (I recognise the envelope. Unfortunately.)
    I kept scribbling "No longer at this address" and putting them back in the post box - GE eventually got the message after about 7/8 letters, and stopped sending them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

If anyone is home when your postie delivers, then tell him/her all the names of the people whose mail you don't want delivered to your address. The postie will then put a pink sticker on all future mail for them and return it to sender. If you don't see your postie, then give this information to your local post office who will inform your postie.

Your postie has to keep delivering their mail to you until they are actually told to do otherwise because as far as they know you are holding/forwarding their mail for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

At my previous address I was getting 15-20 letters a week for the previous occupants (suspect they did a runner owing a load of people money) This went on for over four years. Writing NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS on them and fecking them back in the post didnt lead to any appreciable decline in the volume of post and it was obvious (a lot of them had a return address printed on the back) that a lot of them were from the same companies over and over again.

Adding STOP SENDING US THIS $HIT to NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS didnt make much difference either !

Putting a Sign on the front door
    "XXXXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXX NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS"
    reduced the volume somewhat (depending on which post man/woman was on that day ???) and also stopped the debt collectors.

Discovering they were still on the electoral roll and getting them removed also reduced (but didnt entirely elliminate) the problem.

Twoards the end I just started chucking the letters. I dont see why I should be obliged to retain large volumes of mail or waste time/effort writing NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS 20 times per week, covering up the postcode (otherwise they used to come back) and going out to look for a letter box for the benefit of people who should have been aborted about 42 weeks after conception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Same is happening to me as Mike1972, mail is literally arriving for at least 7 different people at my address weekly and I moved in 18 months ago. Got fed up of returning mail in the first few months so its handy for the fire.

Before I moved out myself at my previous address, I went to extreme lengths to notify everyone of my new address(and it worked) so the previous occupants(and those before them and so on) were just lazy in not getting it sorted.

Burn the mail for warmth OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I'm a nosey madam. Open up the letters and tell us what they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I'm a nosey madam. Open up the letters and tell us what they say!

I would do except the mother called for them this morning. I was upstairs. Didn't hear a thing!!!

Apparently she stared at the house for ages too outside :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Instead of postcodes linked to a location what about issuing everyone with some kind of unique identifier number linked to a national database which can be used in place of an address. Then when one moves house they only need to tell a single agency (the post office) rather than everyone and their dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Next time they call round tell them they've got two weeks to get it sorted, and anything after that is getting binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

OP send that stuff back asap before the cnuts get a chance to come around to collect.mark "not known at this address" and cover/mark out the address on the envelope.the distinctive letters that arrive what do you think they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I would do except the mother called for them this morning. I was upstairs. Didn't hear a thing!!!

Apparently she stared at the house for ages too outside :(

Actually, it could be some sort of ploy. They may be sussing out when you won't be in the house and off on holiday.

Tell them you won't be keeping their post anymore as it's not their address. Ask them for a forwarding address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

just leave it in a pile outside the front door under a stone. If they collect it from there, the next pile can be left a little further from the front door, and so on.

OR you could just tell them to go and shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

One of these outside the house
    http://images.tradekool.com/3085770020000200/stainless-steel-pedal-dustbin.jpg

Chuck their letters in it. Inform previous tenant where they'll find their letters from now on.

(they might be a bit quicker at resolving the issue themselves when they see you're not going to act as a sorting room for them)

If the bin goes 'missing' then just throw the letters in the same trajectory as when the bin was there and let good old Irish weather take charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

There is a form you can fill out in the post office, with proof of address and occupancy, that will exlude post with other names being delivered to your address.

Advertisement