Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The IT Tralee 'off-topic' thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Hi angs77,

First of all, while we may not agree on certain issues, I would like to congratulate you on earning your degree, and I wish you the best of luck in obtaining your Masters.

I wanted to say that outright, before debating your points. I felt if I said it at the end, it would be insulting your intelligence, which is just not me, and most definitely not how I roll.

Okay, back to my post.

Regarding where I gathered my information.

http://traleestudentblog.blogspot.ie/

A current student in the IT Tralee and FEE member.

The former president of the USI had not sat an exam in 3-4 years. The former president of the ITTSU, which is well documented, had also failed his exams in second year, information gathered from the link above. I am not making this up.
    The former MSO, was often not notified of voting or other meetings by the ITTSU.
    Any questions directed to the SU president were either not acknowledged, or handled sarcastically. Nicky, who writes the blog above, has displayed a questionaire where he questioned the president, but got some very snide remarks in return.

Also, the Union have a habit of deleting comments that they dislike from their Facebook page, rather than promoting free speech and allowing the comments to stay. If the comments were offensive, say using offensive language, I would understand that. But since they are not, and are instead critical of the Union and how they are failing to represent students, it highlights how the union is there for themselves, and nobody else.
    This incident, as detailed below, was appalling and disturbing, in my eyes.

http://free-education.info/the-tralee-students%E2%80%99-union-must-explain-its-disgraceful-behaviour-towards-its-members/

The vice president is still a serving member of the union, despite some less than honourable actions on his part.

As for the Union being free of charge, that is not the case.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76862664

The Union is a paid position. There are some who are doing quite alot of work, yes, but there are many more who are not. They simply organise drink fests, that don't accomplish anything. Parties are fine and dandy, to let off steam, but when a genuine issue arises, where a student requires help or aid, the SU can often not be found. And not for the want of trying to contact them. It looks good on the CV to have been a part of the Union, but if they were asked what they did, I'm sure it would be a series of half-truths and whole lies.
    Many colleges are starting to dissassociate themselves from the USI, and Student Unions. No wonder with this kind of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

The former president of the USI had not sat an exam in 3-4 years. The former president of the ITTSU, which is well documented, had also failed his exams in second year, information gathered from the link above. I am not making this up.

I think angs was just questioning the pertinence rather than the veracity of your claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭angs77

Hi angs77,

First of all, while we may not agree on certain issues, I would like to congratulate you on earning your degree, and I wish you the best of luck in obtaining your Masters.

I wanted to say that outright, before debating your points. I felt if I said it at the end, it would be insulting your intelligence, which is just not me, and most definitely not how I roll.

Okay, back to my post.

Regarding where I gathered my information.

http://traleestudentblog.blogspot.ie/

A current student in the IT Tralee and FEE member.

The former MSO, was often not notified of voting or other meetings by the ITTSU.
    Any questions directed to the SU president were either not acknowledged, or handled sarcastically. Nicky, who writes the blog above, has displayed a questionnaire where he questioned the president, but got some very snide remarks in return.

Also, the Union have a habit of deleting comments that they dislike from their Facebook page, rather than promoting free speech and allowing the comments to stay. If the comments were offensive, say using offensive language, I would understand that. But since they are not, and are instead critical of the Union and how they are failing to represent students, it highlights how the union is there for themselves, and nobody else.

This incident, as detailed below, was appalling and disturbing, in my eyes.

http://free-education.info/the-tralee-students%E2%80%99-union-must-explain-its-disgraceful-behaviour-towards-its-members/

The vice president is still a serving member of the union, despite some less than honourable actions on his part.

As for the Union being free of charge, that is not the case.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76862664

The Union is a paid position. There are some who are doing quite a lot of work, yes, but there are many more who are not. They simply organise drink fests, that don't accomplish anything. Parties are fine and dandy, to let off steam, but when a genuine issue arises, where a student requires help or aid, the SU can often not be found. And not for the want of trying to contact them. It looks good on the CV to have been a part of the Union, but if they were asked what they did, I'm sure it would be a series of half-truths and whole lies.
    Many colleges are starting to dissassociate themselves from the USI, and Student Unions. No wonder with this kind of behaviour.

A lot of students don’t use the students union for any purpose other than buying ITT branded goods. As for them getting paid, yes I am aware of that, but they don’t charge students for anything they do for them, which was the point I was trying to make.

I have had my own issues with the ITTSU during my final year, as I was unable to attend any CRC meetings as they were on at lunch time when I had classes – and skipping class isn’t really an option for Final Year Students, however I always received minutes after every meeting – they may have been a week or so after the meeting, but I always got a copy, or the SU would tweet me if they needed to contact me and visa versa.
    Opinicus wrote: »
    I think angs was just questioning the pertinence rather than the veracity of your claims
    This is all I was trying to do, on a thread that was only asking about students experiences of the college.

No two people will have the same opinion of where they have studied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

Fourth year, the final year, is all group projects. I stand by that. There may be 1 project that is individual, but that is the forerunner to another group project, that requires making a new group of different people, .....

I just wanted to reply to this part as a classmate of mine just told me she found a file on the shared drive regarding the FYP marking system.

The FYP final grade is marked 70% individually. 30% as a group. At least that's how it was done last year.

So the group only shares 30% of the marks, the rest is up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

As much as I would like to think that they are going to give me a free year, :p but has anyone been contacted by the financial department yet regarding tuition fees? I know they offered a payment option during the online registration but my limit didn't quite go that high :( so they said they should be in contact later.

Sintel wrote: »
    As much as I would like to think that they are going to give me a free year, :p but has anyone been contacted by the financial department yet regarding tuition fees? I know they offered a payment option during the online registration but my limit didn't quite go that high :( so they said they should be in contact later.

Staff including lecturers only returned to work properly yesterday - so if you haven't heard by the end of the week - give the Admin office a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

that's cool, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Lads is there much part-time employment in Tralee?

alleystar wrote: »
    Lads is there much part-time employment in Tralee?

If you don't mind working part-time in supermarkets/petrol stations or pubs, you should be able to find something.

• Advertisement

angs77 wrote: »
    If you don't mind working part-time in supermarkets/petrol stations or pubs, you should be able to find something.

Thanks :) I haven't much knowledge of Tralee but what larger supermarkets are there?

Thanks :) I haven't much knowledge of Tralee but what larger supermarkets are there?

You have two Dunnes Stores in Tralee - North Circular Road which is the large store and the Horans Centre which is a tad smaller. We also have a big Tesco's in Manor West Retail Park and a small Tesco down town and Super Valu.

angs77 wrote: »
    You have two Dunnes Stores in Tralee - North Circular Road which is the large store and the Horans Centre which is a tad smaller. We also have a big Tesco's in Manor West Retail Park and a small Tesco down town and Super Valu.

Thanks very much, I'll hopefully get something in one of them for the year!

Thanks very much, I'll hopefully get something in one of them for the year!

no problem. Enjoy your time in the ITT, its a great place! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Right! I've just deleted posts there that are in no way assisting to our community in here nor were they even helpful in general. If you have a problem with a post or even a poster, just click the report-post icon please and let the moderators know.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hope everyone in ITTralee enjoys their mid-term. Don't study too much everyone, try and kick back a lickle during your time off!

All the Best too for when you all return :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Can you join the IT at age 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mwaheedf

Graduated last year... been applying for jobs but its quite difficult out there... everyone says no experience.. few places have said to work free for a month but i have bills to pay and don't want to quit a paid job for volunteer work...

Anyone got any ideas.. the main barrier i have is the ICT experience..

Advertisement