Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange question asked to me before voting...

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

I was in the polling station this morning to vote for the election and the two referendums. I might only be 19 years of age but I know how to vote and the way things work when it comes to voting. Everything seemed normal (going to my respective desk and showing my ID), however I was stunned when I was asked by the second official the following question:

"Are you voting in both the referendums or not?"

I felt like saying did I hear you say that?

I turned to her and said ... " Well of course I am... Why else am I here?"

Now am I wrong in saying that I should not have been asked this question when I went to vote? Surely when you go to a polling station you must be given all of the ballots involved and then it is up to you to decide whether you would like to spoil one or all of the votes.

Am I going over the top or was she right in asking this question?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

wow, that was odd

you should have said, I don't know - are YOU.

its none of their business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I thought you had to take all three papers but on the news a lot of polling clerks were saying that people were refusing to take the referendum ballot papers and only voted in Presidential election. So don't worry it was a legitimate question and nothing to do with your age.

The few people before you probably didn't take them so that was why you were asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 The Cookie Monster

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I was in the polling station this morning to vote for the election and the two referendums. I might only be 19 years of age but I know how to vote and the way things work when it comes to voting. Everything seemed normal (going to my respective desk and showing my ID), however I was stunned when I was asked by the second official the following question:

"Are you voting in both the referendums or not?"

I felt like saying did I hear you say that?

I turned to her and said ... " Well of course I am... Why else am I here?"

Now am I wrong in saying that I should not have been asked this question when I went to vote? Surely when you go to a polling station you must be given all of the ballots involved and then it is up to you to decide whether you would like to spoil one or all of the votes.

Am I going over the top or was she right in asking this question?

Was asked the same myself, there is no point in her giving you the ballot papers if your not voting on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I was asked the same. Thought it was a wee bit odd but I figured a lot of people probably weren't taking their referenda ballots. I wouldn't get too worked up about it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lots of people refused the referendum ballots is why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

wow sierra wrote: »
    The few people before you probably didn't take them so that was why you were asked.

I was asked at 8am this morning before college and my dad said he was asked the same question tonight at 9pm... Wasn't just for me.

there is no point in her giving you the ballot papers if your not voting on them.

That is besides the point... Those papers have to be burned if they aren't used, that's the law. It's up to you to do what you want with your papers.
    This issue only becomes important when you have an individual who hasn't made their mind up and feel that they will decide when they get in there. If this person is asked if they want all of the papers or not at the desk then they might not even vote because they are asked the question.... That vote in the long run might be very important. If it isn't cast then the official is to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

that is odd...very odd....could be argued that they were influencing the outcome of the vote by getting people to make a decision before having the ballot papers in their hand...i.e. if they gave them to all voters without question, maybe some of them who were thinking of not voting, may have ended up using their vote once they got their ballot paper..
    It would be better to issue all ballot papers and let the voter decide what they want to do with them-

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I don't see the problem. You'd be suprised by the number of people who only ask for one or the other. I got a lot of feedback today from people that said they didn't understand what the referendum was about and didn't really feel comfortable voting in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

nommm wrote: »
    I don't see the problem. You'd be suprised by the number of people who only ask for one or the other. I got a lot of feedback today from people that said they didn't understand what the referendum was about and didn't really feel comfortable voting in that case.

The Polling Officer must assume that you are voting in all polls.

They are competely wrong to ask you which ballot papers you want.

If you don't want to take some of the papers it's up to you tell him/her, they should not prompt you to make the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not the point - they should have been given ALL the papers - it is their right to receive them. it is not up to some person to ask them if they are if they are not voting. if the answer had been that they wanted to spoil the vote, then what would ahve happened.

they should keep quiet and hand out the polling cards to people that present themsevles to vote, and mind their business otherwise.

Cicero wrote: »
    could be argued that they were influencing the outcome of the vote by getting people to make a decision before having the ballot papers in their hand..

+1

My point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Do they not have to match up the number of people who vote and ballot papers if you only took 1 or 2 out of the 3 papers do they have some way of keeping track

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it was a wholly inappropriate question and a complaint should be made. While that complaint may not be upheld, it would still be useful to make.

Imagine a scenario. 100 people got to vote, everyone takes a presidential ballot paper, but only 90 take referendum ballot papers. 100 people are marked off the voting register. 85 people decide by themselves to not vote in the referendums and leave tehir ballot papers blank or spoil them. The polling staff now have 10 unaccounted for ballot papers for each referendum. While most staff will be scrupleous, some won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Godofhellfire

I was asked the same but have no problem with it, in no way do I think they asked it to sway my voting in any way. I gave them my id and when they checked me off the list they asked would I like all 3 forms or just the presidential one.
    I didn't even think about it until I read this topic.

By the way I did vote in all 3

I was asked the same but have no problem with it

Well then you had your mind made up already... Some people may not have known what way they were going to vote and thought that they should just go vote on instinct when they are in the booth. These kind of people could be easily swayed from even voting at all by the question in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Orders in the book were to ask the question and record how many of each were used. Later on word came down on from our returning officers to just hand the ballot papers out.

We have to do what the book says, unless we receive instructions to the contrary.

And just so you know, there is no way to know who votes what and how. The polling cards that were sent out in the post are not required to vote, you are not compelled to hand them in, and no note is made in what order people vote.

We also had a few people who wanted to vote only on the presidential, or on one or neither of the referanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

From talking to a Presiding Officer in my area, seemingly a lot of people today refused the referendum papers and just voted in the Presidential Election. Maybe your dude was getting the usual stick and grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

As pointed out already, the three papers should have been given out ~ it's not like we are going to use them again or save money or get a refund on unused votes ... :rolleyes:

Well then you had your mind made up already... Some people may not have known what way they were going to vote and thought that they should just go vote on instinct when they are in the booth. These kind of people could be easily swayed from even voting at all by the question in the OP.

Not that this is an argument against giving people their ballot papers, but... the idea of people 'voting on instinct' at the last minute on constitutional referanda doesn't seem quite right.

• Advertisement

Focalbhach wrote: »
    Not that this is an argument against giving people their ballot papers, but... the idea of people 'voting on instinct' at the last minute on constitutional referanda doesn't seem quite right.

Agreed, however that is their choice and they should not be unintentionally swayed from doing so...

As I said:
    Focalbhach wrote: »
    Not that this is an argument against giving people their ballot papers

:)

Its their right to receive a ballot paper provided their eligible to vote. It is also their right to not want to vote in a particular thing. The reasoning in the book, before the countermand came down later on, was to ask the question as "some people would not want to vote on all the issues" (that's a near direct quote going from memory).

Personal judgement doesn't really come into it - if its stated in the book it has to be done.

Its their right to receive a ballot paper provided their eligible to vote. It is also their right to not want to vote in a particular thing. The reasoning in the book, before the countermand came down later on, was to ask the question as some people would not want to vote on some things.

Personal judgement doesn't really come into it - if its stated in the book it has to be done.

At what time were you told not to ask people if they wanted to vote in all 3?

I was asked at 8am and was horrified to hear that my father was asked the same thing when he went down at 9pm. Obviously my station didn't get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its their right to receive a ballot paper provided their eligible to vote. It is also their right to not want to vote in a particular thing. The reasoning in the book, before the countermand came down later on, was to ask the question as "some people would not want to vote on all the issues" (that's a near direct quote going from memory).

What city/county were you based in?

At what time were you told not to ask people if they wanted to vote in all 3?

I was asked at 8am and was horrified to hear that my father was asked the same thing when he went down at 9pm. Obviously my station didn't get the message.

We got the word at around 2-3pm or so.

Each constituency has a different returning officer, I can only say what ours did.

'Horrified' in this case strikes me as an overreaction. Being asked which ballot papers people want is nowhere close to telling people they can't or shouldn't exercise their right to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

Skid wrote: »
    The Polling Officer must assume that you are voting in all polls.

They are competely wrong to ask you which ballot papers you want.

If you don't want to take some of the papers it's up to you tell him/her, they should not prompt you to make the decision.

This.

If you were eligible to vote today you had three votes, one in the presidential election and one in each of the two referendums. You didn't have to exercise your right in all three at the same time, so for example you could have decided to vote in the presidential at 10am and then come back at 6pm to vote in the referenda. If you declined one or more of the ballot papers they would have noted this on their registar so that when you came back you would still be issued with the ballot paper you were entitled too.

However, it would be up to you to say if you did not want a particular ballot paper so not sure why that question was asked. Your vote/your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

PJ Maybe wrote: »
    ecided to vote in the presidential at 10am and then come back at 6pm to vote in the referenda.

In point of fact ~ no. You turn up to vote, you present ONE voting card and it's crossed off and your voting card is destroyed, there and then.

So I really think this statement is in error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

he's young, poor chap, his post is most probably relating to a hang up over his spots :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Reading this has really incensed me.

I gather from some of the replies above that we have one or two electoral officials contributing so I'll break cover and inform you all that I was also operating as a Presiding Officer in my area today which I have done now for a number of years.

Here are today's written instructions...

2. Voter presents polling card...

3. As there are 3 Polls, the Presiding Officer stamps each of the 3 Ballot Papers and hands each to the voter.

6. Presiding Officer hands ballot papers to voter.

As you can see I've skipped over some of the sections that don't pertain to this issue but suffice to say there is no provision to ask the intentions of the voter.

However, if the voter indicates to us that he doesn't wish to receive one or two (of the 3 today) ballot papers then that is his/her prerogative and they are issued with the ballots they request.

There is no provision whatsoever to inquire of the voter whether they wish to decline any of the ballots.

In my opinion, this is totally improper conduct that could have a bearing on the possibility of the voter participating in the relevant poll and thus significantly alter the turnout and perhaps the outcome of the poll.

The voter of course has the option then of either expressing their voting intention in the privacy of the booth or spoiling their vote by design or omission if they tender an unfilled ballot.

If my poll clerk asked a voter if they desired a ballot or not (which they did not) I would immediately intervene and instruct them not to do so.

If the voter declines a ballot then that is recorded on the electoral register with the abbreviation of the particular poll declined entered beside it.

So every single ballot is accounted for at the end of the night.

There is no advantage in "saving" the amount of ballots used as, of course, once the poll closes they are useless and destined for the shredder or recycling plant.

Someone mentioned that they got word around 2 or 3 pm from their returning officer to make inquiries about voters' intentions.

This shows up the inappropriateness of this instruction as if it was the correct procedure it would be there in print from the word go and not improvised "on the hoof".

(I can guarantee you that if RTE or Newstalk decided to run with this story there is no way any returning officer or official would go public to come on air and defend this decision - denial all round would be the order of the day).

In my station (turnout 50%) not one single person declined a ballot.

What they did in the privacy of the booth was entirely their own business and we'll (correctly) never know.

If I understand the logic of what I read above then voters were automatically handed the Presidential ballot and asked if they also desired one or both of the Referendum ballots?

Just stop a moment and consider that...who has the authority to decide which ballot takes precedence and issue instructions thereof.

Can anyone imagine or tell me that Referendum ballots were handed out and then inquiries made as to whether the voter also wished to vote in the Presidential election?

Ironic when you consider some of the allegations that have been thrown around about one or two of the candidates in the last few days that the process itself would be compromised in this way?

I suggest some of the writers above who were asked about their intentions regarding receiving ballots contact press or radio and see how this goes...

VG

Advertisement