Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

JFlah wrote: »
    Dear God ...... I have Java coming out my eyeballs!!!

No word of a lie but I'm dreaming in Java. Dead serious. I'm having if and else dreams. :D

Concentrate on validation guys. 90% of your time will be taken up on this. The PPS number has already been given on group's A question so anything from date of birth to ISBN to the unimaginable palidrome could surface. Best of luck guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

AntiRip wrote: »
    No word of a lie but I'm dreaming in Java. Dead serious. I'm having if and else dreams. :D

Concentrate on validation guys. 90% of your time will be taken up on this. The PPS number has already been given on group's A question so anything from date of birth to ISBN to the unimaginable palidrome could surface. Best of luck guys ;)

Palindrome !!! NOOooooooooooooooo.... although if you do get a palindrome check out StringBuffer method helps to read strings backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Not come across any Palindrome questions unless Im missing something.
    We had a question where we had to generate 20 random numbers, then the users had to guess 20 times, the output display had to show the 20 random numbersm, the 20 user numbers, how many times the user matched the random numbers and finally you had to show whether or not you had ESP abilities (if you got so many matches correct you had ESP abilities). Hard out but I gave it a fair aul bash and now I can relax and concentrate on the lovely 3 exams for next week. WOHOO.

I imagine ye will get a question based on the animal one from last year.

siblers wrote: »
    Not come across any Palindrome questions unless Im missing something.
    We had a question where we had to generate 20 random numbers, then the users had to guess 20 times, the output display had to show the 20 random numbersm, the 20 user numbers, how many times the user matched the random numbers and finally you had to show whether or not you had ESP abilities (if you got so many matches correct you had ESP abilities). Hard out but I gave it a fair aul bash and now I can relax and concentrate on the lovely 3 exams for next week. WOHOO.

don,t sound too bad did ye use JOptionPane for it?

don,t sound too bad did ye use JOptionPane for it?

Yeah, he said one group would get the Scanner but id be surprised if he actually did. Just keep going over the 3 questiosn from last year (im a great man for following my own advice :rolleyes:) and try memorize them etc and you'll be absolutley flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

lads, these computer courses sound down right difficult, are their many left in your classes from what had started with you guys?

Fair play for the hard-work btw, I'm reading your messages here going :eek: 'ah what are they doing in these courses like!' :o:)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    lads, these computer courses sound down right difficult, are their many left in your classes from what had started with you guys?

Fair play for the hard-work btw, I'm reading your messages here going :eek: 'ah what are they doing in these courses like!' :o:)

In my particular group only one person has left. I think a few have failed maths and just basic last semester and are finding Java difficult alright. Saw a couple of fairly empty monitors when I was leaving the CA.

It's only difficult if you don't put the work in. I'm a (very :))mature student with kids and all the responsibilities of home life and I also work my ass off. Spent all week last week 12 hour days studying Java and other subjects and am doing well. I guess when you're older, you are a lot more focused. I really want a good career out of this and have only one chance to do it.

I think everyone should go out and work for 10 years on a building site or general operative in a company after school and then go back to college. It would make a lot of people far more focused in what they want to do in their lives :)

I wonder would JB be that predictable in his questions? :) PPS number I guess is similar to tnumber only that the validation for the letters are opposite. The random number question was similar enough to the dices question last year. Group B's CA isn't until Friday so I guess they are lucky at least we can rule out the random, tnumber/pps validation. They may get a scanner I suppose with user defined methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I guess when you're older, you are a lot more focused. I really want a good career out of this and have only one chance to do it.

I think everyone should go out and work for 10 years on a building site or general operative in a company after school and then go back to college. It would make a lot of people far more focused in what they want to do in their lives :)

Good point. Of the 7 left in 3rd year SW 4 of us are 25yo+

In my particular group only one person has left. I think a few have failed maths and just basic last semester and are finding Java difficult alright. Saw a couple of fairly empty monitors when I was leaving the CA.

It's only difficult if you don't put the work in. I'm a (very :))mature student with kids and all the responsibilities of home life and I also work my ass off. Spent all week last week 12 hour days studying Java and other subjects and am doing well. I guess when you're older, you are a lot more focused. I really want a good career out of this and have only one chance to do it.

Same as myself very mature with all the responsibilities and i am working my ass off as seems to be the case with all the mature students.I don,t think a lot of the youngsters realise the opportunity they have ... . Regarding drop outs we are missing 2 totally gone 2 or 3 hanging on and a few more strugglers that possibly are on the wrong course. I reckon we,ll have 10 - 12 back next semester , maths and programming main source of difficulty and then some laziness by a few in the "easier" subjects. I,m surprised by the failures in maths by younger students, as someone who has,nt done maths in a LONG time I found Maths fairly simple and of a basic enough standard. Quite a few of the people who struggled are straight out of Leaving Cert and would have just done Maths ..... !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Just an ancient programming humour site:

Definition:
    program, n.: A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's input into error messages. tr.v. To engage in a pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

And the always excellent xkcd

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

the_general_problem.png

the_important_field.png

1_to_10.png

complex_conjugate.png

good_code.png

We had 2 that have dropped out, but they dropped out way back in like October, there's a couple of lads who I very much doubt will be around next year as they aren't putting in the work and always coming up with stupid excuses. Same story as mentioned above with the older students in my class (me being one too) the ones struggling in my class are the ones straight from the leaving. Would imagine there will be another 3 or so gone by 2nd year. Think most have passed their first semester exams except a few have to repeat programming, but they are totally screwed in Java i'd say. I found maths fairly handy as well and I was awful at it back in the day.

Opinicus .... Thanks for the laughs ... badly needed

CA over went well I think, was very fair I thought and doable up to a point even if you were struggling with some of the concepts .

fingers crossed for a decent mark:) On that note I wonder what is a decent mark for this CA??

JB was saying in our class anything between 12-15 is excellent so I suppose 50%-60%. What was the question?

JB was saying in our class anything between 12-15 is excellent so I suppose 50%-60%. What was the question?

I,m hoping for somewhere in high 70,s . Question was using a scanner build a menu to calculate area of a circle and cylinder use a switch for choices and validate as a correct choice, validate the height of the cylinder to only accept whole numbers, and a user defined method for the volume of the cylinder had to use a Do-While loop , think Do-While and the scanner caught a good few people . It was good in that you could do certain parts and be sure they were finished and correct without worrying about other bits of the code

I,m hoping for somewhere in high 70,s . Question was using a scanner build a menu to calculate area of a circle and cylinder use a switch for choices and validate as a correct choice, validate the height of the cylinder to only accept whole numbers, and a user defined method for the volume of the cylinder had to use a Do-While loop , think Do-While and the scanner caught a good few people . It was good in that you could do certain parts and be sure they were finished and correct without worrying about other bits of the code

Feck it, would have found that somewhat handier than our one.

One of the lads in my class was saying that the 3rd CA isn't meant to be too bad. And question one of the exam paper seems to be based off the first ca we've done, so it's very passable. But I don't really want to be scraping a pass in Java.

Feck it, would have found that somewhat handier than our one.

One of the lads in my class was saying that the 3rd CA isn't meant to be too bad. And question one of the exam paper seems to be based off the first ca we've done, so it's very passable. But I don't really want to be scraping a pass in Java.
    Yeah it was nice enough really , hopefully the 3rd CA will be less pressurised , first 2 questions on the exam are fairly ok really, so might manage a decent mark if I keep going as I am .

Results out already on email. JB is a mighty man to correct :). There is a lot of red cells on the excel sheet under the 14% overall pass rate! Hope ye passed lads?

Got a mark in the mid 60s so happy days. Have 25 out of 35% so far and considering you need to get at least 15% to pass out of 50% in the final exam I should be grand. :D

• Advertisement

Results out already on email. JB is a mighty man to correct :). There is a lot of red cells on the excel sheet under the 14% overall pass rate! Hope ye passed lads?
    Woo Hoo 89% have 32.25% overall , pressure greatly reduced :). Hope ye all did ok too

There are a LOT of people up the creek it looks like , can see now how so many never get to 2nd year

Boom 80% in Digital Imaging, delighted but feck all time to relax. Exam today, exam tomorrow, exam next week, 2 projects to work on over easter and 2 more exams when we get back, followed by the 3 final exams.

I'm fairly fecked for the aul web design, It seems a bit retarded that you are expected to try and remember the various bits of code, not like when you're designing a website that you will only be using code from memory.

Boom 80% in Digital Imaging, delighted but feck all time to relax. Exam today, exam tomorrow, exam next week, 2 projects to work on over easter and 2 more exams when we get back, followed by the 3 final exams.

I'm fairly fecked for the aul web design, It seems a bit retarded that you are expected to try and remember the various bits of code, not like when you're designing a website that you will only be using code from memory.

We have'nt got our Digital Imaging results back yet , am hopeful though :) The aul workload is getting a little ridiculous alright now!! I,m same with Web Design in the Lab or at home have no problem getting pages to look identical to examples with minimal reference to notes ,but to remember every tag from memory!!! OUCH

We have'nt got our Digital Imaging results back yet , am hopeful though :) The aul workload is getting a little ridiculous alright now!! I,m same with Web Design in the Lab or at home have no problem getting pages to look identical to examples with minimal reference to notes ,but to remember every tag from memory!!! OUCH

The results for group C/D are up on the X-Drive under Grainne Stack (if that applies to you), I'm in the same boat as yourself with the web design, trying to study this tonight is just tedious, I just can't be fecked.

The results for group C/D are up on the X-Drive under Grainne Stack (if that applies to you), I'm in the same boat as yourself with the web design, trying to study this tonight is just tedious, I just can't be fecked.
    I,ll go have a peek now so !!! I,ve given up on Web Design for the night , what I know is what I know now!

I,ll go have a peek now so !!! I,ve given up on Web Design for the night , what I know is what I know now!
    89% sweet :)

Nice one :cool:

Nice one :cool:
    Likewise well done

• Advertisement

Web design wasn't too bad, started off as a nightmare and couldn't get nothing to work but came togehter in the end. Can relax at least for a couple of days now

Advertisement