Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

JFlah wrote: »
    Jes*s people start saying something !!!!!

Wont be much activity in here come Friday :D. Im well excited now but 5 weeks of no ca's, no projects, no exams, no 3 hour lab classes. Dunno how i'll survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I only have two weeks off. I'm back for the first of three exams on the 3rd of January. :mad:

I've an exam on the 3rd but its only one so its grand really. Ive had the misfortune of having to spend christmas studying for exams before. Its pretty horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Opinicus wrote: »
    I only have two weeks off. I'm back for the first of three exams on the 3rd of January. :mad:

You've really no time off when you have to study through xmas.

This is one of the real ****ty things about this semesterisation of years. 12 weeks of cas, projects, reports... Two weeks off studying through xmas when you've spend the last 20 years enjoying... exams and then back for more. I know the time is short but would be good if exams were finished before the holidays so you can come back for semester 2 all refreshed again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Jes*s people start saying something !!!!!

well I for one won't be walking away from this easy. Their is potential in here and the forum just needs time so I'm prepared for that.

^^JFlah, when are you finishing up with your own exams before Christmas break?
    Only got 2 exams 1 Friday 1 on 3rd of January everything else ca based will be at a loss with nothing to do

• Advertisement

Only got 2 exams 1 Friday 1 on 3rd of January everything else ca based will be at a loss with nothing to do

I can think of a lot of things to do like catching up on all my tv shows I've missed :)

Make sure you make the best of it, have you seen next semester's timetable? 6 or 7 hours a week of Java, lots of late evenings, my timetable anyway not sure about the other groups

Don't be looking back in Jan and saying "Why didn't I enjoy my time off more!" ;)

AntiRip wrote: »

I can think of a lot of things to do like catching up on all my tv shows I've missed :)

Make sure you make the best of it, have you seen next semester's timetable? 6 or 7 hours a week of Java, lots of late evenings, Thursday again a terrible day 9-6 with 2 hours off.

Don't be looking back in Jan and saying "Why didn't I enjoy my time off more!" ;)
    Wise words I,ve a couple of exemptions for sem2 so I won,t have it too bad.am looking forward to reading a few books for sheer pleasure over xmas

JB also said in an email he will be putting up lab 1 and lab 2 and JCreater for anyone interested in getting a head start in Java. Might break up the 5 weeks nicely :)

JB also said in an email he will be putting up lab 1 and lab 2 and JCreater for anyone interested in getting a head start in Java. Might break up the 5 weeks nicely :)

hmmm i,ll have to see about that might be too much "work"

I was gonna have a look at that java stuff but I know i'll be too lazy to do it. How ye set for tomorrow? Questions 1 +2 are fairly easy, not gonna spend much time going over the while wend loops, I just need the required pass rate to pass the module so im lucky enough. I'd hate to have to go into it needing to get plus 30%

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    I was gonna have a look at that java stuff but I know i'll be too lazy to do it. How ye set for tomorrow? Questions 1 +2 are fairly easy, not gonna spend much time going over the while wend loops, I just need the required pass rate to pass the module so im lucky enough. I'd hate to have to go into it needing to get plus 30%

Yeah same here. I haven't done much, I think I'm just saturated now with programming :).

Just going to do the first 2 questions tomorrow, maybe attempt a loop. Only need 20 marks of the 100 to pass so no real pressure. Just looking forward to the break now after ITAPPS,VC,WEB :). Maths not too bad either.

Best of luck anyway and enjoy the holidays. I say it will be quiet in here till February at the very least!:D

Just for anyone that's planning to walk in and do one question tomorrow. You now need to get at least 30% in your final exam. At least that's what we were told.

Yeah same here. I haven't done much, I think I'm just saturated now with programming :).

Just going to do the first 2 questions tomorrow, maybe attempt a loop. Only need 20 marks of the 100 to pass so no real pressure. Just looking forward to the break now after ITAPPS,VC,WEB :). Maths not too bad either.

Best of luck anyway and enjoy the holidays. I say it will be quiet in here till February at the very least!:D
    I thought I was sailing quite smoothly but question 2 in the 2010 paper is pretty hard. Has me somewhat worried now.

I thought I was sailing quite smoothly but question 2 in the 2010 paper is pretty hard. Has me somewhat worried now.

Don't have that question. Only have the 2011 papers JB emailed us. Can they be got on the library website?

Go to blackboard -> Library -> Past Exam Papers.

damn library down at the moment. Siblers, would you be able to upload that doc to any storage site? Would be much appreciated ;)

Don't have any of the questions saved to my memory stick and can't get on the library either.
    Basically the question I'm stumped on was along these lines.

The user is asked to input 2 letters
    input "please enter 1st letter";
    input "please enter 2nd letter"

Then you need to get the programm to determine if the letters you entered are a constonant or a vowel.
    If you enter (e.g "%") then the programm needs to tell that this doesn't count as a letter.
    Finally if the first and 2nd letters you enter are the same, you need to get the programm to show that they are the same letters.

I'm totally confussed by this. Its a lot harder than the question 2 in 2011 paper

It's up for me at the moment moment man. Don't go directly to opac.ittralee.ie go through BlackBoard.

Don't have any of the questions saved to my memory stick and can't get on the library either.
    Basically the question I'm stumped on was along these lines.

The user is asked to input 2 letters
    input "please enter 1st letter";
    input "please enter 2nd letter"

Then you need to get the programm to determine if the letters you entered are a constonant or a vowel.
    If you enter (e.g "%") then the programm needs to tell that this doesn't count as a letter.
    Finally if the first and 2nd letters you enter are the same, you need to get the programm to show that they are the same letters.

I'm totally confussed by this. Its a lot harder than the question 2 in 2011 paper

Not sure if this is right or not but just did this out now. Maybe check it on jbasic to see

input "please enter 1st letter";letter1$

if asc(letter1$) < asc("a") or asc(letter1$) > asc("z") or asc(letter1$) < asc("A") or asc(letter1$) > asc("Z") then
    print "Not Valid letter"
    end
    end if
    input "please enter 2nd letter";letter2$

if asc(letter2$) < asc("a") or asc(letter2$) > asc("z") or asc(letter2$) < asc("A") or asc(letter2$) > asc("Z") then
    print "Not Valid letter"
    end
    end if

You can use the select function to determine vowels and consonants then
    select case letter1$
    case "a","e","i","o","u","A","E","I","O","U"
    print "You entered a vowel"
    case else
    print "You entered a consonant"
    end select

select case letter2$
    case "a","e","i","o","u","A","E","I","O","U"
    print "You entered a vowel"
    case else
    print "You entered a consonant"
    end select

Great stuff thanks, makes perfect sense now. :D

• Advertisement

Great stuff thanks, makes perfect sense now. :D

Actually just checked it on jbasic and it's not working as it should be. I would think it is the or/and mixed up in the if statements.

It is a tricky question for question 2 alright.

To see if they are both the same all you have to do is

if letter1$ = letter2$ then
    print "Letter 1 is the same as Letter 2"
    end if

Yeah, it was the fact that you had to have a 2nd letter kinda threw me, if it was just one letter it would be a lot easier.

Yeah, it was the fact that you had to have a 2nd letter kinda threw me, if it was just one letter it would be a lot easier.

It's even harder then when you are writing it in handwriting as you obviously can't mess around with it and test/compile it.

Question 1 is simple, 33.33 marks out of 100 which is over the 30% needed. Even if you attempt question 2 and 3/4, I think it will be easy to pass.

Make sure you write a 'comment, end your program and don't forget your chr$(13)'s

and a good night sleep ;)

I think you have to be there half hour before the exam with your seat number printed out.

Was checking it there and it said you must be in 45 mins before hand for the first exam, which seems a bit excessive. Can you look over notes while waiting I wonder?

Was checking it there and it said you must be in 45 mins before hand for the first exam, which seems a bit excessive. Can you look over notes while waiting I wonder?

In the current Academic Year your timetable will show your seat number for each exam. Your seat number will be specified on your timetable as and from Friday 9th December 2011. You should print a copy of your exam timetable and bring it with you to each exam.

Please arrive at the Examination room at least 30 minutes before the start of your first examination and at least 15 minutes before the start of your subsequent examinations. Failure to do so may result in a significant delay at the start of your exam.

Double checking but our exam is at half 12? Can't check a thing on blackboard.

Yep, exam at 12.30. I've given up on blackboard tonight, will check in morning.

FREEDOM!

For two weeks anyway.

2 hours for programming not nearly enough, found it really tough trying to know where to put half the stuff. Had to do question 1a 3 times, kept forgetting the trim$ thingy. If I do pass, it'll be a bare pass.

• Advertisement

2 hours for programming not nearly enough, found it really tough trying to know where to put half the stuff. Had to do question 1a 3 times, kept forgetting the trim$ thingy. If I do pass, it'll be a bare pass.
    found it ok overall time a bit tight alright I wanted to do question 3 but would,nt have had enough time for 2 parts so no choice but do question 4 cause at least i be marked out of 33 for that , hopefully i did OK overall but OK is best it will be

Advertisement