Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Do they take that into A/C when marking? Or do they mark it as if you were on a computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I don't think you'd be penalised for leaving out the odd ; or + or () but if you left them out consistently throughout the exam you might be. I think they really just look at whether you have a grasp of the logic and how to control the flow of the program.

Thank god that programming exam is over with, finishing line is feeling ever closer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

It was bloody tricky with the return key to exit loop. Got most of the code and correct calculations but couldn't get it to work.

Now to make a start on VC :-)

Mine was a bit of a shambles, but was expecting it to be much, much worse. Haven't done a tap yet for Vis Comm but gonna start tomorrow, once I ifgure out the layout of my website it shouldn't be too bad.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Mine was a bit of a shambles, but was expecting it to be much, much worse. Haven't done a tap yet for Vis Comm but gonna start tomorrow, once I ifgure out the layout of my website it shouldn't be too bad.

JB has a good marking scheme so even if it's all over the place, we should get marks for any bit of an effort.

Vis Comm is wrecking my head, as you know yourself, not much done in class :)

Tell me about it, in class last week I missed out in one small bit in Illustrator, because I missed that bit I pretty much ended up missing everything else. Was frustrating to say the least.

How did you find the marking in web design CA? Seems to have been marked pretty hard.

Tell me about it, in class last week I missed out in one small bit in Illustrator, because I missed that bit I pretty much ended up missing everything else. Was frustrating to say the least.

How did you find the marking in web design CA? Seems to have been marked pretty hard.

Was marked very hard. Mine looked exactly like what was on the sheet and thought I'd get at least 90% but got much lower. It even validated ok apart from the deprivated tags :confused:. I found the same with IT Apps. Very hard marking scheme. But sure a pass is a pass i suppose, but would make you wonder if you didn't put in half the effort would you come out the same or what. :)

Yeah, in my exam for web design I made 2 mistakes, I misread one of the questions and put a link instead of the mailto: email thingy and the other mistakes was I didn't use ../ for linking folders (was a stupid question to ask considering the folders didn't exist and there was no way to actually test if it you needed ../ or not) . Mine fully validated too and looked exactly as on the screen, was quite disapointed to have gotten 80% . But I guess it doesn't really matter too much once I get the basic pass mark in the final project.

Least for IT Apps, the final exam is properly easy, I only got 50% in my report. No idea where I lost the marks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Seriously Vis Comm is degenerating into a module no one cares about , no show again this week! which is a shame because i personally have gotten right into it. Web Design was harsh alright but i reckon they know if u do anything at all for final site u,ll be grand

• Advertisement

Even the lab classes in Vis Comm seem pointless, everything I'm gonna do in the project will be done via online tutorials. Shame as I was looking forward to that module quite a bit. Handouts we get are a pure waste of time.

AntiRip wrote: »
    but would make you wonder if you didn't put in half the effort would you come out the same or what. :)
    I only got 50% in my report. No idea where I lost the marks though.

That's something I find myself asking in more than one subject. Twice this year we've submitted Group reports that we were told were really good, the supervisor especially liked what we did with x, y and z, etc, and then you get a mark of ~70%.

Where the **** did the other 30% go?

Some subjects are marked so arbitrarily.

Worst thing about it is when you don't get the scripts etc back, Im not overly pushed by web design as I did reasonbly well, but a lot of people got low marks and they have no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I find worse again is when you dont get your ca results before going into a final :mad:

Antirip or Jflah, you know for the vis comm website, do the pages have to include a personal page including cv/portfolio? Mine is gonna be a travel website so it wouldn't really suit the theme of it.

I don't think so, if it's a personal website then it needs to have home, about me, projects and links/interests page. For a website of your choice i.e travel maybe home page detailing what the site is about, contact page, photos page maybe, that kind of thing

yeah i think there is no need for a portfolio page on your site , just make sure you have 4 relevant pages , should be grand out

Thanks, started using Illustrator at home, it's not the worst to use, although its a bit of a pain making sure you're in the right layer etc. Photoshop on the other hand :(

Thanks, started using Illustrator at home, it's not the worst to use, although its a bit of a pain making sure you're in the right layer etc. Photoshop on the other hand :(
    I really no bothering too much with photoshop , photoshopped to death images are not automaticaly better imo , keep it simple i think

Yeah, might change a few to black and white and bits like that but I wont be layering different images on top of each other. Just want to do enough to pass.

• Advertisement

any idea when results of programming CA will be out , am dreading it made a B**ls of it totally , definitely test environment don,t suit me

Been checking the emails fairly regulary but no sign, probably get em back in the lab class, was gonna check the actual solution but would only end up depressing myself.

Been checking the emails fairly regulary but no sign, probably get em back in the lab class, was gonna check the actual solution but would only end up depressing myself.

Likewise not gonna bother until i get result hopefully did ok though 60% ish and i,d be thrilled did well in 1st one so be no pressure on final really

On the final exam, you know the way we must get 30%, is that 30 out of 70 or 30 out of 100? So we'd have to get at least 21 or so out of 70. Because getting 30 out of 70 mightn't be the easiest thing ever.

AFAIK Its 30% in the final paper (so 30 out of the 100%). Seems like a silly rule, you can pass some modules before sitting the FE so do people not bother turning up or something? what's the motive behind it?

Just on the off chance, has anyone who is reading this, ever sat the final ca in SAD, have any idea what could be asked? asked a couple of times last week and it was like pulling teeth, so pretty much here downing coffee trying to revise an entire module before tomorrow :(

Oh god, best of luck with it.

-Trek- wrote: »
    Seems like a silly rule, you can pass some modules before sitting the FE so do people not bother turning up or something? what's the motive behind it?

I think it might be to motivate people who do just enough to pass. It can't look very good to the faculty if people are getting high marks in the CA and barely passing the final exam which covers more of the material.

-Trek- wrote: »
    Just on the off chance, has anyone who is reading this, ever sat the final ca in SAD, have any idea what could be asked? asked a couple of times last week and it was like pulling teeth, so pretty much here downing coffee trying to revise an entire module before tomorrow :(

On the SAD CA, I did that module last year but remind me is it a practical exam or theory? For our final CA mark we had to submit a bigass System design of our chosen subject but I definitely remember a sit down CA also. I always mix this up with Databases format wise cos we had the same lecturer for both and we were using SQL in both. They were complimentary modules.

Its the sit down one for that module, we submitted that project last week and it was a pain in the arse is the reason why i'm only now getting a chance to catch up on lecture notes now.

From what I remember there were short questions on the software lifecycle approaches like waterfall, agile, etc, advantages + disadvantages to each approach, etc
    Also I think we were given a user story and asked to create the User Requirements, Hierarchy Chart, ER diagram.
    We were given like a list of the DFD elements and asked to draw a DFD Level 0, Level 1 and maybe Level 2 for Process X.

Basically if you can do everything for that project you submitted you'll be grand for most of it with a little splash of the theory. Unless it's completely changed around.

Sorry I can't be of more help man but I kind of drifted through that module.

• Advertisement

How'd you get on Trek? Had a CA in OOP4 myself which went surprisingly well.:D

Advertisement