Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm hoping that one or 2 of the classes that are listed are down for other groups, but that's unlikely.Monday is a pretty horrific day.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    I'm hoping that one or 2 of the classes that are listed are down for other groups, but that's unlikely.Monday is a pretty horrific day.

Yes have just been looking over timetable again .... be glad to get out a few of the days.

There must not be too many coming back judging by the fact there are no groups

JFlah wrote: »
    Yes have just been looking over timetable again .... be glad to get out a few of the days.

There must not be too many coming back judging by the fact there are no groups

Yeah, looks like there will be just one multimedia group and one softaware group , Although there are groups B and D, timetables are the same. Majority are in games it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

B is for bachelor's degree and D is for ordinary degree. they are for 4 and 3 year programmes respectively. no difference for our programmes as everyone takes the same modules regardless of whether they came through the ab initio 4 or 3 + addon programmes. i think it's just the way the system is set up.

Opinicus wrote: »
    B is for bachelor's degree and D is for ordinary degree. they are for 4 and 3 year programmes respectively. no difference for our programmes as everyone takes the same modules regardless of whether they came through the ab initio 4 or 3 + addon programmes. i think it's just the way the system is set up.

Oh right. Never realised that.
    Do you reckon the 2nd year timetables for computing with multimedia etc are correct? As in do you think we are down for more hours than what you would have had?

• Advertisement

Looks mostly okay to me but I don't remember having 3 OOP2 practicals in the week. If it's a 10 credit module then it's probably right. I can't remember was OOP2 or OOP3 the 10 credit module. Old age catching up with the memory

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Day 1 report: :rolleyes:

Sintel wrote: »
    Day 1 report: :rolleyes:

Slow to get going , groups too big!! Feeling it's going to be a tough semester savage amount of OOP to get to grips with mainly conceptually I think.

groups too big!!

The groups are allot smaller in third, think there was about 10 or so left in games, and that includes Erasmus students as well, savage altogether. :eek: Problem with that of course is it makes it harder to hide :D

Not looking forward to this semester at all, our multimedia module seems alright but Java and the C.Woods onslaught of Database Concepts and Structured Analysis&Design has me worried. :(

• Advertisement

A tricky semester al right, but if ye have any questions post em up and we will share our wisdom. Bit of advice when ye get the S.A.D :(, project, get stuck in straight away as it is a serious time consumer and will probably (going on past experience) spend a bit of time revising it as well, as you will probably be emailing and getting feedback constantly.

A tricky semester al right, but if ye have any questions post em up and we will share our wisdom. Bit of advice when ye get the S.A.D :(, project, get stuck in straight away as it is a serious time consumer and will probably (going on past experience) spend a bit of time revising it as well, as you will probably be emailing and getting feedback constantly.

Cheers, will hold you to that. What's Database Concepts like?

first few lectures will be drilling sql into ye :Dhttp://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp (allot of marks available here, so worth paying attention and practising)
    The rest will be more theory, data modelling (entity relational diagrams *shudders*), and other super interesting db stuff.
    There will be labs also where ye will practice the sql stuff and also be writing db creation scripts.

first few lectures will be drilling sql into ye :Dhttp://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp (allot of marks available here, so worth paying attention and practising)
    The rest will be more theory, data modelling (entity relational diagrams *shudders*), and other super interesting db stuff.
    There will be labs also where ye will practice the sql stuff and also be writing db creation scripts.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeYgZq8mrbbr1fWKQHrVB5UXbSP3-yLSW0g6ipOMEwctAJOB_b

there, there, let it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

SQL isn't too bad, but Java :eek: I'd run.

Just learn to understand SQL and practise it. Loads of things online to help - tutorials on youtube and a new feature mentioned on silicon republic 'code academy' is great to help you understand the concepts of coding mainly web programming though.

Though DB scripts makes my eyes water. DB is fine when creating them and typing the SQL code in a putty but when it came to SQL in MS Access and creating VBA code just drove me up the walls. Grin and bare it and do your best.

Take note in lectures and labs and practise SQL as much as possible once you understand and be able to do the practical aspect writing it on paper be easier if ye have to do that as part of your end of year exam. Things might have changed since I did the module as part of my course in 3rd year. Practise practise practise and also try to do it without notes/book and test yourself one way to know you know your stuff if ever preparing for a practical CA.

I did SQL around 5 years back as part of another course but I remember nothing of it, passed it back then anyway when I was a pure dosser, so fingers crossed.

Thank god they got they changed out 1-3 class from friday to tuesday. Sleep in on wedneday at least :|

I did SQL around 5 years back as part of another course but I remember nothing of it, passed it back then anyway when I was a pure dosser, so fingers crossed.

Thank god they got they changed out 1-3 class from friday to tuesday. Sleep in on wedneday at least :|

The time table is fairly harsh ! Disappointed to be losing so many hours with John W I like his approach so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Our timetable is going to change again as there are too many people in our labs. Over 30 people in our JAVA & DBC labs with a good few people sharing PC's. I'm talking more MM and SD, Games are probably ok. Talks of 2-4pm lab on Friday!

AntiRip wrote: »
    Our timetable is going to change again as there are too many people in our labs. Over 30 people in our JAVA & DBC labs with a good few people sharing PC's. I'm talking more MM and SD, Games are probably ok. Talks of 2-4pm lab on Friday!
    Yeah, thursday morning 9-11 and friday 11-1 still include both groups, I really hope we dont have any evening classes on friday as I always found that time quite constructive getting work done.[/quote]
    he time table is fairly harsh ! Disappointed to be losing so many hours with John W I like his approach so far
    Timetable was gonna be pretty horrible no matter what way they put it really, gonna be hard trying to get extra work done with so many classes. Im hoping all these Java classes and tutorials will make a difference.

• Advertisement

Yeah, thursday morning 9-11 and friday 11-1 still include both groups, I really hope we dont have any evening classes on friday as I always found that time quite constructive getting work done.

Timetable was gonna be pretty horrible no matter what way they put it really, gonna be hard trying to get extra work done with so many classes. Im hoping all these Java classes and tutorials will make a difference.[/QUOTE]

Loooks like very little enjoyable stuff this semester ... just the grind .......

Timetable was gonna be pretty horrible no matter what way they put it really, gonna be hard trying to get extra work done with so many classes. Im hoping all these Java classes and tutorials will make a difference.

Loooks like very little enjoyable stuff this semester ... just the grind .......[/QUOTE]

Yup but its only 12 weeks so least we have a goal to reach for, semester 2 doesn't look quite as bad, least it has some more creative based modules.

Loooks like very little enjoyable stuff this semester ... just the grind .......

Yup but its only 12 weeks so least we have a goal to reach for, semester 2 doesn't look quite as bad, least it has some more creative based modules.[/QUOTE]

Thank God!!! ah we'll get through it I,m sure

We're down twice in the timetable for Structured Analysis labs, the othe groups are down only once, which means we'll either finish 4 on wednesday or not start till 11 on thursay :D

We're down twice in the timetable for Structured Analysis labs, the othe groups are down only once, which means we'll either finish 4 on wednesday or not start till 11 on thursay :D
    Woo hoo

So third year = Group project fest.

3 so far, oh dear :(

that's the gist of it alright

Timetable changed for about the 4th time this week, 9-6 monday. Woop woop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Timetable changed for about the 4th time this week, 9-6 monday. Woop woop

Noticed that there. 6pm finishes for Mon,Tues and Wed. By the time I drive home and eat, it will be time for bed :)

• Advertisement

Wow it's gotten so quiet , people must be busy already!

Advertisement